• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A two-part question about predators and how best to deal with the problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A two-part question about predators and how best to deal with the problem.

First, the backstory. We have had our farm for nearly eight years with no problems. I had new non-climb fencing installed shortly after we bought the place, and I wrongly assumed that we were "safe". Monday night or the wee hours of Tuesday morning, something killed my favorite goat, Olive. Imagine the horror of finding a pet you had for over seven years murdered by something.

This leads to my first question. What was it? We have had a new pack of coyotes in the area recently, and initially I thought it was coyote. I couldn't find any puncture wounds on her head or throat, and since only one hind leg had been predated upon, it would seem to be a coyote-kill. However, the carcass had been partially covered with scratched-up grasses and some small tree limbs. Many folks I've consulted with claim that this is cougar behaviour, and that makes me very nervous. I can take precautions to keep coyotes out, but I can't keep out a cougar. I was hoping some COTHers could help me with identifying the predator (RatBastid!) that got my goat.

Secondly, what would the best protection be? If it was coyotes, could a donkey protect my critters? If it was a cougar, I can only consider a LGD. This leads to a question of which breed to go with. I'm leaning towards Anatolian Shepards at this time, but I would love to hear from owners of all LGD breeds to chime in with why they love their sentrys and the longevity and maintanence of each breed. I know it's alot to ask, but I'm grieving for my beloved Olive. She was the best goat ever, and I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

And yes, I have installed a solar motion-detection flood light on my barn and have a high-powered rifle with a great scope on it. Just wish I had that set-up two nights ago.......
    On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.
    RIP, my beloved RootBeer (4/1973-8/2007)

Wow, a cougar. good luck.

I think the A Sheps are an EXCELLENT idea! You can get them a year or 2 old that have already been taught to guard. If you can afford more than 1 even better. If you watch them, they will lay so each one is watching a different direction. They are bigger and stronger than the other herd protection breeds and they tend to be more aggressive(in a good way, not toward people or livestock).

I did see a video of some people who were trail riding and were attacked by a cougar. 1 person was on a mule and they fell off. The mule however grabbed the cougar by the tail and actually beat it to death by swinging it and banging it off the ground. I'm betting that was a quite rare occurance though.
    Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Comment

Root Beer, where do you live?

I am sorry about the loss of your Olive. I have a goat who I love dearly, and would be very upset if I lost him to a predator.

I, too thought no climb was a safe fence to keep predators out and my animals safe. Again, my condolences.
      save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, ever! I would love to have a mule like that. Maybe that's what I need, a big-ole cougar-smiting mule. It would make a nice team with my cougar-smiting rifle. To be honest, that evening I sat up all night in the pasture near the area of The Kill in a chair. I had a thermos of coffee, a pitchfork, a flashlight, my rifle and a murderous attitude. Seriously, if what-ever-it-was had come back to the scene of the crime, I wouldn't have hesitated to stab it to death with my trusty pitchfork. Not smart, I know; but I'm very protective of my critters.

Now that it's been a couple of days, I'm thinking more clearly, hence the questions about LGD. I'll count your post as #1 for Anatolians. Thank you!
        On hoofbeats and heartbeats, your love came to me. With carrots and kisses, I now set you free.

Comment

My father has had Pyrs and Maremmas for a number of years out with goats. The things to keep in mind:

1) LGD's will wander. They like to have a big territory and they like to patrol it. So they will not "stay home" if there is no fence. In the pasture, my father has electric fences that can be moved with the goats.

2) The pyrs are generally considered more people friendly (I'm talking about strangers, such as the odd wandering human kid). Maremmas and Anatolians can be a bit more to handle. This is no comment on individual dogs--no need to list all the great Maremmas and Anatolians people have known. I love LGD's! But they are bred to protect from predators, and some are more broad in their interpretation than others.

3) LGD's can climb out of fences, and will. 5 ft is considered minimum for a Pyr that is inclined to "patrol." On the other hand, my two companion pyrs never even tested a 3 ft fence, so obviously there's variety.

4) Like all big dogs, LGD's can have hip and stifle issues.

5) LGD's are like burglar alarms--their job is to bark all night at anything suspicious. If you have neighbors, check how they feel about it.

6) Like burglar alarms, their primary usefulness is deterrence. They may lay around and look lazy in the day, but at night they are active. They don't attack--they defend and deter. The only time my father's pyrs got in a serious fight was when a bobcat came inside the electric fence by a tree, and got trapped in there. There was blood spilled, on dogs and cat, but not on goats.

I agree with everafter, if you have a pasture situation, you should have a pair. If you are looking to protect a barnyard or smaller fenced area, one should do it, though of course they'd love a buddy.

There is nothing like those lovely deep voices barking in the night, when you can hear the coyotes far away. We lost our older Pyr 2 years ago, to old age, and I miss her 20 times a day (and night.)

OE: And I am so sorry about Olive. Very hard.
          Ring the bells that still can ring
          Forget your perfect offering
          There is a crack in everything
          That's how the light gets in.

Comment

• Original Poster

fivehorses; I'm in southern Oregon, the Applegate Valley to be exact. We have coyotes, foxes, bears and cougars.

MelantheLLC , Thank you for the personal experience with Pyrs and Maremmas. I was hoping for something with a shorter coat as I have horses, sheep, goats and border collies to groom. Also in the house: two Ragdoll cats that need daily grooming. I'm already up to my eyeballs in fur!!!!!! I haven't pursued the LGD option before precisely because of the reason you mentioned. Night-time barking. But now that one of my babies has been killed, it's all out warfare. Neighbors be damned!!! I already hear all of their dogs barking all night at it is.

Comment

I'm so sorry about Olive. Goats have so much personality. I sort of wish for you you'd gotten your revenge that night. I can understand completely where you were at that moment!

Do you have *any* dogs already?

I am researching LGDs as we speak for the inevitable day when my pair of Viszla/labbie mixes pass on...

I have cats (bobs and mountain lion) bears, coyotes and fishers. The fishers are a problem for my barn kitties--but only when kitties stray into fisher territory. But nothing actually comes into my pastures or near the barn areas, other than the occasional fox, I think because of the dogs I already have... even though they aren't specific livestock dogs... They coyotes will come right to the edge of my pasture, in the adjacent 13 acres... but not onto my land. <knockingwoodmadly>

If you already have dogs, walking them and letting them pee and poop as much as possible around the fencelines is helpful. I had something LARGE (bear probably) disturbing a grave, and just walking the dogs out there and their marking was enough to deter. (and they are neutered, but they will mark pretty reliably in new areas that smell like other critters...

I'll be reading this with interest on the LGDs as I have a couple years to plan/save and decide. But thought it might be useful to mention if you already have other dog(s) that there's something you can do right away.

I'm so sorry.
              InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

How about a guard llama? They do guard against dogs and coyotes. But I don't know about cougars.
                Laurie Higgins
                www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

Okay, just found a site that says that llamas are useless against packs and cougars. Sorry.
                  Laurie Higgins
                  www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the condolences, pintopiaffe and everyone. I will walk the border collies around the perimeter to do their business, it couldn't hurt. But they stay in at night, they're both under 40 pounds and not much use as guardians.

I'm still curious about what predator it was exactly. I'm confused. Olive wasn't eviscerated, but the hide had been removed on the side that was facing up. Her right hind leg had been eaten down to the bone, but no broken bones. No large puncture wounds to her head or neck. But the covering up of the carcass with the grass and small limbs makes it look very much like a cougar. Any thoughts on that? Anyone with experience in this area? I tried calling the local Fish and Game people, but they're woefully understaffed and had no one that could get back to me yet.

Comment

Our mountain lions bring down large livestock easily, eat what they want and drag it under cover and cover it up some more.
                      They come later to eat more.

The only way around here to keep smaller animals like goats safe is to put them in at night.
                      We had a milking goat herd and a couple of loose ones as pets and all were put in stalls in the horse barn at night, or we would lose some and that was not acceptable.

Grown cattle and horses have a chance to defend themselves and/or get away, goats, sheep, etc. don't.

The good thing about mountain lions is that each one covers and protects a large territory of some 150 square miles, so you probably only have one and, for the way it treated the kill, it may be holed close raising kittens.

Generally, they don't stay in one area long.

Sorry about your goat.

Comment

No tracks?
                        It does sound like a cat or a bear, no climb fences aren't useful against stuff that just bounces or climbs over them. Also no punctures or bites...a large cat will swipe once at the head, turning the head sharply and breaking the neck. At least it will on a smaller animal like a goat. Also check along the spine lower down for tooth punctures. They'll also go for a paralyzing bite on the back if they miss the neck.
                        Bears also kill with a paw swipe to the head/neck.
                        If you haven't buried the goat, check for a broken neck.
                        And if you haven't buried the goat, as gruesome as this sounds (and I mean absolutely no disrespect, my apologies in advance) then leave the poor thing where you found it and recover and keep an eye out then. Bears and cats come back within 24 hours.

There's also a possibility the goat could have been grabbed by the hind leg and went into shock or it's heart failed.

My deepest condolences on the loss of yoour longtime pet.
                        You jump in the saddle,
                        Hold onto the bridle!
                        Jump in the line!
                        ...Belefonte

Comment

MelantheLLC , Thank you for the personal experience with Pyrs and Maremmas. I was hoping for something with a shorter coat as I have horses, sheep, goats and border collies to groom.
                          Heh, my father and the foreman would laugh at the thought of grooming the LGD's. They are in TX, and get a full-body shave in April, so hair grows back a bit before summer sun, and that's it.

I don't know too much about Anatolians. A former BO once bought one, to "protect" the barn (in spite of my warning about wandering.) I think she thought it would stick with her like a typical dog. But no. It would be found miles away. Finally she started penning it up in the run next to my horse, and they would play through the fence but I felt very sorry for it. Eventually it got loose, ran through a house under construction and skidded all over newly grouted floor tile. BO was presented with the bill, and announced that she would be "getting rid" of the dog. A boarder took it home, and as far as I know it's HEA.

They have short hair so no grooming, but they are fairly intimidating. I don't know your situation, but you have to consider that if the dog roams and is found in someone's backyard, many people will be very afraid of it. (Ask us how we know.)

All LGD's tend to be "aloof" with strangers as a breed characteristic. They aren't labs, or herding dogs. Extremely independent, "difficult" to train. Putting a serious recall on an LGD takes constant effort and lots of food rewards. (Again ask me how I know!)

That said, one of my companion Pyrs never met a human she didn't like. The younger one is much more shy. And my father's that were raised from puppyhood with the livestock will have nothing to do with strangers, they run away even from me, a frequent visitor.

Some can handle both companion and LGD duties just fine. Others are one or the other. This is individual variation, not between breeds.

Ideally, they will have been raised from puppyhood with all the variety of stock they are supposed to protect, from goats to chickens to housecats. Otherwise, they will react just like "normal" dogs and may chase. Their chase instinct is low, but it is there.

LOL, and don't ask them to retrieve! They will just look at you with a puzzled frown and say, "Well go get it, and I'll chew on it."

Sorry, sorry. I do love Pyrs in particular, and could yak about them all day.
                          Ring the bells that still can ring
                          Forget your perfect offering
                          There is a crack in everything
                          That's how the light gets in.

Comment

• Original Poster

I was in a bit of shock myself when I found Olive, so I didn't check her spine. There were no tracks, as it was green pasture. There were no drag marks or bloodtrails, so she died where I found her. She was found close to the fenceline in an area where they normally didn't wander, she was may have been chased down there. I have already buried her (it took me over six hours to dig the hole by hand, lots of clay soil, tree roots and rocks), and now I'm kicking myself for not checking her spine for puncture marks. I really do want to know what happened to her.

And MelantheLLC, you're making a good case for the Pyrs. I forgot about the summer strip that most farm dogs get. I do realize LGD are independent thinkers and will not be a 'pet' per se. My champion poodle I had many years ago wouldn't fetch either. I'd throw a ball for him, and he'd look at me and say "Why'd you do that for? Now YOU have to go get that ball. Silly Mommy!!!" I'm totally a dog person and am willing to work with whatever I get on a case-by-case basis. I'm prepared to spend the time and effort to train the dog as best I can. I'm looking for a local breeder so I can meet the parents and get assistance if needed.

Comment

The farmer across from was having a problem with something killing his goats and he thought it might be coyotes although he could never find any punture wounds. One morning while he was gone I heard one of his goats screaming and I ran across the road to see what was going on and I was shocked to find his yearling colt was chasing down and attacking this goat. It was a horrible thing to witness and by the time I got a halter on the yearling and put him in another field the poor goat was too far gone.

All this being said, this still does not explain your goat being covered up with grasses and twigs. That does sound like a big cat.

Very sorry for you and Olive.

Comment

JMHO!!

Covering up a kill is classic dog behavior and I'm quite sure it's your coyotes. Your description fits. Foxes, coyotes do it and my pet dog does it with her bone!! The goat was probably too large for them to carry away. They will come back to feed on a carcass and of course they are nocturnal. Ask your local extension agent and do some research on coyotes. There's some websites w/pictures of different kinds of kills so you can be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wateryglen View Post
                                  Covering up a kill is classic dog behavior and I'm quite sure it's your coyotes. Your description fits. Foxes, coyotes do it and my pet dog does it with her bone!! The goat was probably too large for them to carry away. They will come back to feed on a carcass and of course they are nocturnal. Ask your local extension agent and do some research on coyotes. There's some websites w/pictures of different kinds of kills so you can be sure.
                                  Our coyotes don't cover anything, but that may be because they feed on larger animals, from calves on up.

Coyote kills or scavenging generally opens the body cavity, they don't just eat on a leg.

Comment

My original thought, based on your description, was bear or cougar. Mistyblue then confirmed it could be either as well. I would hope that your Parks and Wildlife people would be interested in a possible large predator coming into the area to feed, so I would keep calling them.

So sorry about the loss of your friend. I'm sure it was heartbreaking for you and your family.
                                    Rhode Islands are red;
                                    North Hollands are blue.
                                    Sorry my thoroughbreds
                                    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

So very sorry about the loss of your little goat

I have a goat that was a rescue and for her safety every night, she gets locked away in a stall in the barn. This will probably be your best bet.

Good luck and again my condolences.
                                      I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Based on your description is does sound more like a big cat or maybe a bear rather than a coyote.

I guess it's also possible that a dog did it. I've got nonclimb horsewire on my place and my sister's dog climbed it like a ladder and got into a pasture to attack a goat.

The goat did go into shock and if that is what happened to your goat, might be why the scene looked like it did. No blood trail or anything. She just kind of froze and dropped once the dog had her. (I was there when the attack occurred). She did recover.

I'm very sorry you lost your goat. Since you obviously have a large predator hanging around and you're not quite what your plans are- you'll want to lock animals up at night if nothing else.

Attacks happen fast and without warning. A predator most likely has been watching your place for a long time and you just never knew it. Be vigilant and watch for tracks, scat and other trace.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Here's a website that might be of help in identifying any trace that you see:

http://www.enature.com/home/

Search by species. There are usually tabs with photos or diagrams of scat, prints, or other trace.

Good luck.
                                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                        X