• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Are the Ford diesels really that bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Ford diesels really that bad?

Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)

I am not a car person at all, but my parents have a diesel Ford F350 king ranch. I'm not sure of the year, but I think they've had it for about 5 years.

There have been no problems at all with the engine or hauling or anything. Except for when I backed it into a hay trailer and broke the taillight... that thing is HARD to drive compared to my 2 door coupe.

Hopefully someone else has a more informative answer though. What is supposedly wrong with Ford engines?

Comment

Why not go with the '99-03 7.3? Not as new but proven and capable. A lot of people love the 7.3.

The main thing with the 6.4's is, it is critical to performs all scheduled maintenance based on the severity of your driving conditions. It will reek havoc on your injectors and/or turbo and possibly your motor if you don't take care of filter/fluid changes. Also advisable to keep it stock! I work at a garage, and we do have one customer that I know hauls horses from NJ to FL regularly. She has an 05 with the 6.0. It's stock and she has not reported any problems on any trips. BUT, she brings it in before every trip to have the maint. work done. It really is that important! Good luck with whatever your purchase! If I can think of it monday, I will ask the techs what the common problems are.

Comment

I've known several people to have bad experiences with the Ford diesels...to the point of getting rid of them shortly after purchasing. I love my Duramax GMC...it's 7 years old and has 140K miles on it and runs beautifully.

Comment

My friend just bought a ten year old 7.3 - the mechanic we use told her if she did not buy it, he would - they are the best. Heard this time and again.

Ourselves - our Ford 4x4 diesel is a l989 (20 years old) and never given us a minute's trouble. I'd like a newer one, just don't have enough of a reason to go spend the $$.
          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

We have an '01 F350, love it and have had zero issues with it.
            We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
            www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Have a 2000 F250 Diesel, bought it new. LOVE IT!!!! Had a Chevy truck before that, it left me in the middle of CA with a fully loaded horse trailer. When this truck needs to be replaced, it will be with another Ford Diesel. Don't hesitate, it pulls like a dream and is totally reliable.
              www.Somermistfarm.com
              Quality Hunter Ponies

Comment

Another vote for the 7.3L diesel...if you can find one for sale.

Mine is a '99, SRW, supercab, long bed. Has about 105k miles on it now, just getting broken in, really. I have had zero problems with it, and the reliability is a big deal to me, as I am almost always by myself when hauling... it pulls my 2+1 GH with an extended dressing room with no difficulty at all, in fact I sometimes do that extra glance in the rearview mirror to make sure it's still back there, LOL.

A friend of mine who is a pro rider/dealer has one of the newer ones (an '08 maybe?) It's a beautiful truck, and he has hauled his 6 horse with it all over the US with no problems.

Personally I have always had very, very good luck with Fords and prefer them. Every time I take my truck in for routine maintenance, the mechanic there reminds me that if I ever want to sell, he wants to be the first in line. He's wasting his time, of course. They will have to pry those keys out of my cold, dead hands.
                We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

We have an '06 F350... it was a good deal when we bought it, and that's why we still have it...

I miss my GMCs desperately.
                  -Jessica

Comment

The Ford diesels are good. We have a '99 F250, V-10 and hope to move up in a 2009-2011 F250 diesel later this year.Two friends have Dodge diesels- probably 2002-2004 models and goodness, gracious, they are LOUD!!! I'd never own one of those. I went with a GF to pick up a horse in NC and we drove her Chevy Duramax- I was in love with her truck!! That engine ate up the road of the West Virginia turnpike like it was a flat strip of beach. Amazing truck! And it has the feature that makes it automatically adjust to the grade when your going downhill. I really liked that feature as I drove back through the turnpike with the horse in the trailer.

Comment

We have the 03 350 7.3L diesel and the only way it will ever be for sale is if we find a dually King ranch 7.3. Hauls like a dream and I've never once felt like I didn't have the power or brake to do what I needed to do. Even when hauling a VERY fractious just-off-the-track Stud cold who was pissed about leaving his mare behind.
                      Equestrian Photography

Comment

Ford has had four diesel engines in the last 12 years or so.

7.3L: A "cast iron" engine. Does not break often and is fairly easy to fix if it does. Used up until 2002, IIRC.

6.0L: Made by IH it gave good service in many applications. In the Ford it's highest and best use is likely a boat anchor. Defines the old joke that FORD means "Fix Or Repair Daily." Or maybe "Found On Road, Dead." While some folks have got good service out of it Ford was forced to buy a very large number back under various Lemon Laws. There's $500 Million in litigation between Ford and IH over the whole affair. Avoid like the plague unless you're a Ford Certified Diesel Mechanic. Used from 2002-2007.

6.4L: Also made by IH, it's a very sophisticated engine that must be treated exactly as The Book says. Do this and you'll likely be OK; don't and you're looking at some truly impressive repair bills. Used 2008-10.

6.7L Scorpion: Will be available in 2011 Ford SuperDuty trucks. Lots of hype. No track record, yet. Lots of big towing number projected. Why a 6.7L engine? Because that makes it bigger than the 6.6L Duramax. Lots of testosterone here, don't you know. Before I bought one I'd remember the old definition of a "pioneer"...that's the guy with the arrows in his back.

Remember that the engine is just part of the drive train and that drive train is underneath a whole bunch of truck. Look at the entire package before you make any decision.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                          My friend just bought a ten year old 7.3 - the mechanic we use told her if she did not buy it, he would - they are the best. Heard this time and again.

Ourselves - our Ford 4x4 diesel is a l989 (20 years old) and never given us a minute's trouble. I'd like a newer one, just don't have enough of a reason to go spend the $$.
                          Hey, we have a brother to your 1989 Ford! It is the 7.3 in a Dually one-ton, crewcab truck. Has been the best truck for all those years. We got it at 6 months old, 15,000 miles on it. Turned over 300,000 last fall on vacation. Still starts easily, drives beautifully. Just a bit tired. Gets between 12-15mph depending on hills or mountains, loaded or unloaded. Non-turbo'd, mechanic says it is the best engine he knows. Just a hauling machine over many years.

We got a real deal on a Nissan Utility truck to replace him with, also a great truck to haul with. I am sure going to miss the Ford though, never left us anyplace in all that time, lots of good memories. Do expect to get the injectors fixed about 135,000, they all just need work then. Otherwise just regular repairs for upkeep. We kept the oil and fluids changed as the book said.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyS View Post
                            Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)
                            We sold our 96 Ford F250 diesel in December. If it had four doors we would have kept it, but needed more room for our empty nester lab.

We looked at the Fords but instead got a new 09 Dodge 6.7 diesel with a manual tranny. LOVE IT!! The Ford was a work horse, but this truck has power. Its quiet and more maneuverable. Fuel mileage is about the same. Don't discount the newer Dodges.
                            Last edited by craz4crtrs; May. 7, 2010, 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

[QUOTE=Wooly Wintertime;4852332]Why not go with the '99-03 7.3? Not as new but proven and capable. A lot of people love the 7.3.

QUOTE]

What Wolly Wintertime said. the 7.3 is the best engine of the lot. You can still find these with reasonably low mileage- we have one now that has close to 300K and is still going strong......

Comment

I have a 1994 F350 dually diesel with a crew cab for hauling around the kids, as well as the horses.

that's the IH 7.3L engine and it's great. I did have a scored rod which I think is sort of an unpredictable issue and had to rebuild the engine.

however because it's so simple it was a relatively inexpensive procedure ... now I figure I should get another 175,000 miles out of it, if the body doesn't fall apart first!

Comment

Didna read all the replies.

My brothers 1996 F350 Cummins Diesel had more than 350k on it, HARD miles, he drives Tonka Toys for a living and would often hook up to the flatbed trailers and MOVE a lot of that equipment... He also is a speed demon on the highway and would go for months commuting 100mi one way to a job site... He sold it to a guy who planned to use it to haul his antique car around the country to shows.

Two trannies... ONE engine.

I always tell Tess The Truck (my F150) That I expect her to live up to my big brother's standards.
                                  InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                                    Another vote for the 7.3L diesel...if you can find one for sale.

Mine is a '99, SRW, supercab, long bed. Has about 105k miles on it now, just getting broken in, really. I have had zero problems with it, and the reliability is a big deal to me, as I am almost always by myself when hauling... it pulls my 2+1 GH with an extended dressing room with no difficulty at all, in fact I sometimes do that extra glance in the rearview mirror to make sure it's still back there, LOL.

A friend of mine who is a pro rider/dealer has one of the newer ones (an '08 maybe?) It's a beautiful truck, and he has hauled his 6 horse with it all over the US with no problems.

Personally I have always had very, very good luck with Fords and prefer them. Every time I take my truck in for routine maintenance, the mechanic there reminds me that if I ever want to sell, he wants to be the first in line. He's wasting his time, of course. They will have to pry those keys out of my cold, dead hands.
                                    My cold dead hands, too! I have an '99 F250 7.3 Super Duty Power Stroke and it hasn't given me any problems. I've only got about 75K on mine, though.

If you don't plan on hauling a lot, then any old truck will do. If you plan on abusing the hell out of it, then I wouldn't have anything but a Ford. I've been hauling with them for 40 years, my father still has one, as did his father before him. I would easily put 150,000 or more miles on a Ford in less than 5 years with narry a hiccup.

I'm not so picky about my cars, but when it comes to trucks, I'll never have anything but a Ford. The Ford 150 is the best selling vehicle overall for a reason.
                                    Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

We have a '99 F250 7.3 Crew cab with 270,000 miles on it - nicely broken in - pulls across the mountain like its pulling down the highway - GREAT!

As someone said earlier, you take care of it and it will take care of you!
                                      Last edited by KnKShowmom; May. 9, 2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

We own a 1995 Dodge Cummins 5.9 diesel. Absolutely love this truck. NEVER had a minute of problems with it and we have over 350,000 km on it now and still going strong! I expect to replace it in 10 years or so but not sooner. The body is in excellent shape and the only fix I have had to do was to replace a windshield due to a stone chip.....and a set of tires twice. I so wish they still made this engine...I don't know what will be available in 2020?
                                        Last edited by cherham; May. 9, 2010, 08:47 AM. Reason: I can't add..... :)

Comment

Working...
                                        X