• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Comfortis Flea Pill For Dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfortis Flea Pill For Dogs

Anyone use it? What was or is your experience with it? The vet's office said some dogs vomit after receiving it.
    Really would like to hear from Aussie owners if they had any side effects- as I'm concerned about the side effects with herding dogs and the MRD gene.
    That being said I'm at my wits end with fleas already- tried Advantage-2 weeks later fleas-tried Frontline Plus-2 days found fleas again very much alive. Spraying the yard but I don't think its gonna help much as it is huge and brushy around the edges(I have a yard not a lawn).
    Did not have this problem with my Rat Terrier-saw a flea-put Advantage on-no fleas!
    Thanks for any input.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

I tried it 2 months in a row with my Bernese Mountain Dog. My vet said if you give it with a meal, they don't have near as much trouble with vomiting. I gave it with a can of canned food both times, and absolutely no side-effects.

HOWEVER, it also had no effects. Zip, nada, zilch. Zero difference in anything that I could tell. It's not that it worked at first and then wore off before 30 days; it's that it never seemed to work at all.

Maybe I have the one dog in the world immune to it, but based on my experience, after those two months, I stopped wasting the money buying more. For my dog, it did nothing.

Comment

One of our corgis is on it. I had never heard of it, but that is what came with Lilly when we adopted her from Danny and Ron. It seems to work well, and I've seen no adverse reaction. I'm considering putting the other dogs on it when their current supply of Advantage runs out. Comfortis is a bit more expensive, but it's much less hassle. Corgis will eat anything!

Comment

7 dogs in this household.

3 Boxers... all do good on it, one does have to be fed at the time the pill is given then crated for about an hour or she vomits.

1 mixed (looks like a yellow lab colored border collie) no problems

2 border collies with no problems

1 border collie that we cannot give it to. Vet says any dog that is borderline idopathic epillectic cannot have it. He has seizures from it. He also has seizures from other things, is highly allergic to fleas. With him we used Advantage mulit for 6 months then he began having seizuers after getting it... so now he gets seizure meds 6 hours before the advantage.

Love it here in NW Florida. Made a serious flea problem go away for us. (can't spray yard cause we raise parrots)

Comment

I do not use internal flea repellents. They are insecticides and you are poisoning their blood stream. Cannot be good long term for their liver and kidneys.

I had problems with fleas coming in from the yard this year,new place and small yard, but what I used was the usual Frontline Plus on one and Advantage on the other. I also vaccuumed the dogs every other day, and I no longer let them out on the yard. I walk them on the beach or on trails. It took me a good month to get the dogs clear because the one dog kept picking them up from the yard and giving them to the other who was not out in the yard.

To have any prayer of a chance at killing them in the yard you will have to do it at least once more in 10 days, or probably twice more. I have also heard that if you boost immune systems it will help to keep fleas off. My dogs are currently on Purina One chicken (not my choice), but I have to economize. I will say that when I used Evo I did not have a flea problem, but I also have changed homes and the yard is infested here.
          "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Worked great on my Shadow! She had a flea allergy/reaction from visiting a friend. Wouldn't stop scratching and I was at my wits end. The vet gave her these + anti inflamatories(sp) and she returned to being herself n about a day.

KH
            Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Comment

I would love to try a pill for fleas - can't use Frontline because my two will "clean" each other even if I keep the apart for a while after I put it on - just not worth the risk.

Comment

Why do ag products companies think it is OK to feed insecticide to pets?

Spinosad Overview

Spinosad (pronounced "spin-OH-sid") is derived through the fermentation of a naturally occurring organism. It uniquely combines the efficacy of synthetic products with the benefits of biological insect pest control products.

Spinosad has several attractive features when compared to most synthetic insect pest control products:
                • It is derived through the fermentation of a naturally occurring organism;
                • It is highly active at low use rates;
                • It is active by ingestion and contact exposure;
                • It has less impact on certain predatory beneficial insects; and
                • It is active by a mechanism unique among known insect pest control compounds.
                Spinosad has several attractive features when compared to most biological insect pest control products:
                • It consistently demonstrates commercially acceptable control for labeled pests;
                • It is effective by both contact and ingestion;
                • It has quicker speed of control;
                • It provides longer residual control in the field;
                • It has no special handling or use restrictions.
                Spinosad works by contact and by ingestion. Contact occurs either by direct application to the insect or by movement of the insect onto a treated surface. Ingestion occurs as insects feed on treated substrate (such as foliage). While control via contact is highly effective, control via ingestion is 5 - 10 times more effective.

Spinosad has a unique mode of action that is different from all other known insect control products. Spinosad causes excitation of the insect nervous system, leading to involuntary muscle contractions, prostration with tremors, and finally paralysis. These effects are consistent with the activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by a mechanism that is clearly novel and unique among known insecticidal compounds. Spinosad also has effects on GABA receptor function that may contribute further to its insecticidal activity.
                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

..........ok, are you a sales rep for the stuff?.......seriously, sounds like my dream product.......frontline and adv. no longer work here, probably because they have been in use at this property for so long that the remaining fleas have developed resistance.............last yr we did the yard several times, but then cannot let animals on it.....used diatomaceous earth ALL over, inside and out, and on animals.......wasn't a miracle, but seemed to have some effect, but the dust laying all around was terrible........my vet won't script comfortis..........
                  SO.......is this a generic or product name for this stuff?......where to obtain some?

thanks for the info!

Comment

I would think that the product manufacturers would promote their products. Do you think this is an inert organic compound? Do your own homework/research and do not rely on the manufacturer.

Spinosad is toxic to pregnant dogs, it will kill the litters. It is also known to cause toxicity with use of Ivermection (Heartworm pills), and is toxic to dogs with epilepsy. Do not use this product on cats or puppies under 14 weeks. There are no such restrictions on Frontline or Advantage. Clearly any product that kills fleas has a chemical composition, topicals are not absorbed directly into the intestines or blood stream. Read the literature, it is produced from bacterial microbes in certain soils and is toxic to honeybees and mildly toxic to fish.
                    Last edited by Calamber; May. 4, 2010, 10:30 PM.
                    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

best.stuff.ever.

as for "poisioning" them with is, frontline and advantage end up in the bloodstream too, they just go through the skin to get there. Topicals can be every bit as "toxic" as oral meds. They are all still chemicals.

Comment

• Original Poster

Agree with the fact that topicals end up in the bloodstream otherwise they wouldn't be effective for the 30 days as advertised. Looked all through the literature and couldn't find any mention of toxicity to bees and fish.
                        As far as the studies done on pregnant females -they were dosed at a 1.3 and 4.4 times the max recomended dose and 1 dog experienced early pregnancy loss and 1 dog in the high dose group aborted late term. So good to know for people who breed dogs- however I have a male so no problem there.
                        Talked with another vet and she likes it other than the vomiting which is less likely to happen if given with food.
                        "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

[QUOTE=Equibrit; "Why do ag products companies think it is OK to feed insecticide to pets?"

[B]Spinosad Overview[/B]

What does an Ag Product company have to do with domestic dogs? When a product is fed to dogs for fleas it then becomes a dog product not an Ag product. Ag Companies have enough bad press without blaming them for how you treat your dog for fleas.

Comment

Dow Agro Sciences developed and registered Spinosad as a pesticide for use on agricultural crops.
                            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I've used it with no bad effects that I know of, and it does keep the fleas away, or kills them, or whatever it does. And two of my dogs are Aussie cross breed dogs.
                              There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I use it on my 2 Aussies and love, love , love, it.
                                Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Comment

I accidently bought some because I thought it was topical. I headed right back to the vet with it because, I just dont want to give it to them to eat. Its bad enough I use topicals because I have to on the roadrunners. Rudy and Nelly pick up ticks galore in the bush. I do the neighbors dog as well because, well, she lives here. there yard is so full of fleas and ticks, they dont mow, that the poor dog is crawling and then she comes here to eat and sleep.
                                  The only luck I have had is to alternate between advantix and frontline plus. I also do it in 3 week intervals instead of 4. On top of that, I bathe them during the summer months. I use granular products in the yard and it certainly keeps down the fleas. Now if only it would kill the grubs and japanese beetles like it is supposed to.
                                  Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Comment

I started off last year with Frontline; didn't seem to work at all. Switched to Comfortis; didn't seem to really work. Decided to try Comfortis again this year as a veterinarian friend really reccommended it. WORKS GREAT THIS YEAR! No fleas at all!!!!

Comment

Material name: Spinosad

Material type: Microbial (Derived from fermentation)

U.S. EPA toxicity Category: III, “Caution”

USDA-NOP:
                                      Considered nonsynthetic, allowed. Preventive, cultural, mechanical and physical methods must be first choice for pest control, and conditions for use of a biological material must be documented in the organic system plan (7CFR 205.206(e)). The National Organic Standards Board reviewed this substance in May, 2002 and found it to be a permitted nonsynthetic substance (USDA 2002).

Active ingredient description:
                                      Spinosad is composed of spinosyns A and D, substances produced by aerobic fermentation of the actinomycete species Saccharopolysora spinosa. This rare species was found in soil samples from an island in the Caribbean in 1982. Actinomycetes are filamentous bacteria found in the soil that give it a sweet ‘healthy’ smell.

How it works:
                                      Spinosad is a fast-acting, somewhat broad-spectrum material that acts on the insect primarily through ingestion, or by direct contact with a spray droplet or a newly treated surface. It activates the nervous system of the insect, causing loss of muscle control. Continuous activation of motor neurons causes insects to die of exhaustion within 1-2 days. Foliar applications of spinosad are not highly systemic in plants although some movement into leaf tissue has been demonstrated. The addition of a penetrating surfactant increases absorption by tissues and activity on pests that mine leaves (Larson 1997).

Application guidelines

Availability and sources:
                                      Spinosad is a patented product developed by Dow AgroSciences (Baker 1993; Boek et al. 1994). Several formulations are widely distributed.

OMRI Listed Products:

Conserve® Fire Ant Bait (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      Entrust® , (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      Justice® Fire Ant Bait(Dow AgroSciences)
                                      GF-120 NF Naturalyte® Fruit Fly Bait (Dow AgroSciences)

References to OMRI listed products in this Guide are based on the June 2004 edition of the OMRI Brand Name List. Please consult www.omri.org for changes and updates in the brand name product listings.

Non OMRI -Listed Products:

Conserve® (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      GF-120® Fruit Fly Bait (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      Success® Naturalyte (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      SpinTor® (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      Tracer® (Dow AgroSciences)
                                      Spinosad® Home and Garden (Dow AgroSciences)

Formulation and application guidelines:
                                      See labels for application guidelines. Entrust® is 80% spinosad. Entrust® is generally applied to plants at the rate of 0.5 to 3 oz/acre per application (Entrust® product label). This is equivalent to 25-150 grams/hectare of the active ingredient. According to the manufacturer, the rate of 1 ounce per acre is equivalent to 1/2 teaspoon per 1,000 square feet.

Resistance management should be practiced with Entrust® since studies have shown that some populations of the diamondback moth have developed resistance when this product is used intensively (Zhao et al. 2002). The main practice is to avoid applications of Entrust® on consecutive pest generations. Alternate spray controls with other effective products, and implement cultural controls.

Many crops have maximum yearly application restrictions. See the label for specifics.

Reentry interval (REI): 4 hours

Effects on the environment
                                      Leaf persistence: Spinosad is partly taken up by leaf tissue and this enhances its effectiveness over time. Dry surface residues do little harm to non-plant feeding insects. Spinosad residues on the leaf surface are be broken down by sunlight. Half-lives for spinosyn A were 1.6 to 16 days depending on the amount of sunlight received (Saunders and Brett 1997).

Fate in water: When spinosad is applied to water, very little breakdown (hydrolysis) occurs, and it can be persistent. However, in water exposed to sunlight, photodegradation occurs rapidly (Saunders and Brett 1997). In the absence of sunlight, the half lives of spinosyn A and D are at least 200 days.

Soil Persistence: Soil microbes degrade spinosad into other spinosyns that can persist in the soil for several months and remain biologically active. Repeated applications could lead to some build-up of spinosyns in soil. A 10-month field study in California and Mississippi showed that no degradation products were found in soil below 24 inches (Saunders and Brett 1997).
                                      Leaching: Spinosyn A is more water-soluble than the other component of spinosad, spinosyn D, and therefore was the subject of soil mobility studies. However, spinosyn A and its soil metabolites bind to soil and have low soil mobility.

Wildlife: Spinosad shows slight toxicity to birds, moderate toxicity to fish, and slight to moderate toxicity to aquatic invertebrates. It is highly toxic to bees in laboratory tests and is highly toxic to oysters (US EPA 1997 a,b) and other marine mollusks (Dow 2001).

Beneficial insects: Care must be taken when applying spinosad while honeybees are foraging; after residues dry (a few hours) it is far less toxic to bees (Bret et al. 1997). Spray droplets can also harm Trichogramma wasps and other parasitoids (Suh et al., 2000; Tillman and Mullrooney, 2000; Bret et al., 1997). However, once the deposits dry, they are generally safe for beneficial insects. Studies in sweet corn have shown spinosad to be very effective against the European corn borer, while conserving its natural enemy complex (Musser and Shelton, 2003).

Comment

It would probably be better to treat the pet's environment with Spinosad than make them eat it. Apparently a little goes a really long way.
                                        http://www.planetnatural.com/site/mo...en-insect.html
                                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                        X