• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Broadleaf Weed Killers for Pasture-What are the Products with No Grazing Restrictions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadleaf Weed Killers for Pasture-What are the Products with No Grazing Restrictions

I know there are several weed killers that you can use that are safe to leave the horses out there. My local co op swears that 2 4D is but I have heard mixed reviews from folks.

I know in a perfect world I'd keep horses off pasture until it rains...but I just don't have the space to do that right now nor enough cross fencing.

I am hoping to get myself a boom sprayer and use my existing 30 gallon sprayer this weekend but I really really want some feedback from other horse farm owners and not just the feed store guy trying to sell me something.

I am googling but not getting a lot to pop up easily...

Thanks!
  • Original Poster

Ok...I did find something from the VA Coop Extension office that lists products and grazing restrictions by species, but it's a big document and I'm perusing it now. I'd still appreciate any insight from anyone on the safest herbicides to use around horses and your experiences with them.

Thanks!

Comment

I have usd the 2-4D products for a number of years without any complications (that I'm aware of). The only restrictions I've ever read are for milking cows. I did pull pregnant mares off of a treated pasture until after a rain and a mowing, even though the grazing restrictions don't specify it.

For the rest of the herd, I usually pull them off the just-treated areas for a few days, just because it's not a problem to do so and it just makes me feel better.

Read your label, because there are some variations in the 2-4D product. But I'm comfortable using it to keep the pastures weed free safely.
      Far Away Farm

Comment

I use agricultural vinegar (20% strength). I don't believe anything else is safe. I spray it, and make sure I'm well protected -- lab gloves, goggles, etc. -- since the stuff is highly caustic. It works with the sun, and you may have to apply more than once, but at least you don't have to worry. Being extra cautious, I wait until the plants shrivel up and die (often in a matter of hours if it's sunny), or it rains, before I give the horses access.
        The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
        www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

Vinegar works as well on grass as it does on broadleaved plants, so it would only be appropriate for spot treatments.

Comment

Forefront! LOVE the stuff. I did keep my horses off of it for a few days. And one horse did get some irritation on his pasterns but boy, does that stuff work great.
            Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Maybe I am just an old hippie, but I will not use any type of chemical herbicide in my pastures. I have found that mowing, walking them with a weed rooter, and pulling them up by hand does fine. My personal feeling about all those chemicals still boils down to "a little here, a little there" from Products A, B, and C adds up to an accumulation over time in the body. I do not judge by whether or not I see immediate reactions. My worries are in more of a long term sense, I do not think individual companies are concerned with accumulation effects, so long as their one product is deemed "safe".
              Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

24D and Grazon

I have used both with no problems. The Grazon was made specifically for not removing the horses or grazers.

Comment

• Original Poster

Tothenines...I'm completely with you and up to this year, I've resisted spraying my fields at all...but I have a terrible infestation of buttercups and they are impeding the growth of grass. I'm the last person to be liberal with chemicals.

When we bought this farm, it had been very badly neglected in care...pastures had not been mowed for years and to the point of saplings growing up in the fields. We've made huge strides in the last few years with just culture but I think I'm going to have to go after the broadleafs and try to give my pasture grasses a chance to get ahead.

easyrider...is the vinegar safe for horses immediately? I've never heard of doing that. Does it only kill broadleaf weeds?

Comment

Will any of these mentioned help with pigweed?

I love the idea of vinegar, would never have thought about it.

Comment

More on vinegar. apcohrs is correct that vinegar is not a selective herbicide. It will kill everything it comes in contact with, including grass. We don't use it on buttercups, we use it on the weeds we don't pull out by hand.

I like to make sure it's not coating anything the horses could eat, because it's so caustic, so I like to let the plant wither to brown nothingness or have it rain before letting the horses there. If I need to cordon something off, I use my Horseguard stakes and tape, non-electrified.

You probably know that buttercups are signs of overly wet or acid soil, so changing the PH can help. We have buttercups here and I used to get hysterical about pulling every one out of fear that the horses would eat them and get sick, but I've found that not only do new buttercups grow in a matter of hours, but the horses don't eat them (too bitter and too many delicious alternatives), so I've stopped worrying all that much. I usually spend a few hours each season pulling buttercups, and there are fewer and fewer each year. Of course, if you're overrun, my method doesn't work!

Good luck this year!
                      The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
                      www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

Originally posted by paintjumper View Post
                        I have used both with no problems. The Grazon was made specifically for not removing the horses or grazers.
                        do these products kill grass as well or only target weeds? We have a lot of weeds so spot or pulling by hand is not feasible. How does it work on blackberry bushes?
                        Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

I embrace my weeds...at least they're green and the only thing growing that I don't kill.
                          Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
                          http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

Goats?

Not sure if it's okay for livestock grazing...but I use a pre-emergement broadleaf killer on my lawn. It goes down very early in the year...possibly using that and keeping the horses off the grass for a week or two?
                            You jump in the saddle,
                            Hold onto the bridle!
                            Jump in the line!
                            ...Belefonte

Comment

2,4-D works just fine and has no grazing restriction. Same with Grazon and products like it, other than lactating animals.

Still. . . I do keep my horses off the fields for a day or two. Given the choice between them grazing fresh herbicide and staying inside for half a day or a day, I'd probably choose the latter.
                              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
                                I know there are several weed killers that you can use that are safe to leave the horses out there. My local co op swears that 2 4D is but I have heard mixed reviews from folks.

I know in a perfect world I'd keep horses off pasture until it rains...but I just don't have the space to do that right now nor enough cross fencing.

I am hoping to get myself a boom sprayer and use my existing 30 gallon sprayer this weekend but I really really want some feedback from other horse farm owners and not just the feed store guy trying to sell me something.

I am googling but not getting a lot to pop up easily...

Thanks!
                                The problem is not so much the materials, themselves. They all come with an insert that tells what limits, if any, are to be observed with grazing animals after spraying.

What they don't consider is that weeds, particularly noxious weeds, can change in equine palatability as they die. Something that is gross tasting (and dangerous) to a horse while thriving might be much less gross tasting (but still dangerous) as it dies. For this reason after I spray I keep the stock of until it's clear that the weeds I'm going after are showing clear signs of impending death. They I wait a bit longer.

G.
                                Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
                                  I have a terrible infestation of buttercups
                                  DB - if you've got an infestation of buttercups your soil probably needs lime.

Check out what sorts of weeds you're growing - weeds are indicator species for what kind of soil you have. (wet, dry, acid, alkaline)

By all means kill 'em off but while you're at it do a soil test and see what's going on.

Good luck - I'm jealous you can get into your fields - mine are soaked.
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Jessie...I can't get in mine quite yet but we're getting there...if it would EVER quit raining.

Yes, good point on my soil. I know it's poor and it's also very wet. This is reclaimed swamp land. I have a lot of compost to spread on it this Spring also but I do know lime would almost certainly help. I have to do what I can as I can afford it also.

Guilherme...good point on the dying weeds also. Right now the weeds are very small and just starting up so it's a good time to get them...and they won't be as tasty as the now emerging grass. I overseeded with rye last Fall and that is finally getting going again.

Mistyglue...NO goats! I hate goats! I hate loose goats and smelly goats...and that practically covers the entire species. ;-)

Deltawave..I'm hoping by doing this myself that I can do just that...pull horses off a day or two after I spray and then try to rotate them around.

Sounds like the vinegar might be overkill literally! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                      DB - if you've got an infestation of buttercups your soil probably needs lime.

Check out what sorts of weeds you're growing - weeds are indicator species for what kind of soil you have. (wet, dry, acid, alkaline)

By all means kill 'em off but while you're at it do a soil test and see what's going on.

Good luck - I'm jealous you can get into your fields - mine are soaked.
                                      Here in the Pacific NW, soils are often very acidic...we can grow killer blueberries and rhododendrons.....

I have a Buttercup infestation as well....too wet and too acid...

I asked the extension agent after one of his pasture management talks what I could do about the buttercups....

His answer....

"move"

Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

Mistyglue...NO goats! I hate goats! I hate loose goats and smelly goats...and that practically covers the entire species. ;-)
                                        Soooo, you don't want goats? LOL, yeah I'm not a huge fan of goats either. Add to the smelly list that they're practically impossible to fence in.

And yep, if you have buttercups you have acidic as heck soil. Welcome to my world. What grows here at my house:
                                        Rhododendrons, azaleas, hostas, moss, crab grass, buttercups, mountain laurel (lovely toxic to horses stuff) and rocks. And more moss.
                                        This weekend I have to go outside and lime, lime, lime my lawn and then lime it some more. And then put down that pe-emergement stuff from Scott's. And it *has* to go out this weekend or else it will not work. My lilacs are just starting to bud and the pre-emergement stuff has to be down before it blooms or it's just wasted.
                                        And then this fall I have to lime again. One year I drove the tractor up to the house, dropped the rake and ripped off the entire front and back lawn. Yeah...I was pissed off, LOL! Took a soil sample to the extension office...for my half acre lawn they recommended 42 bags of lime. I'm not kidding. Now all I need is 1/4 of that twice annually, but I can't miss one season or everything dies and the moss and crabgrass grow back.

I'll be liming the heck out of my grass paddock this fall, then fertilizing and seeding it. It has grass now (and weeds) but it's not fenced. Am having pros fence it for me (since I suck at fencing) and the machines doing the fencing and putting in a new swayle or two will tear up that paddock anyways. But I cringe thinking about how much lime that small field will need. Liming does help keep down a *lot* of the broadleaf crap...I think that broadleaf crap likes acidic soil too.
                                        You jump in the saddle,
                                        Hold onto the bridle!
                                        Jump in the line!
                                        ...Belefonte

Comment

Working...
                                        X