• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Manure spreaders for an ATV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manure spreaders for an ATV

Fiancee is shopping for our new "farm" ATV and I am on a mission for my manure speader! We have two horses, and at most will add a mini donkey to our herd but that is it. We have four acres and access to a field to spread in. I need something that will comfortably handle this load but is EASY to use. I can handle the ATV (former motorcycle rider), but have no experience with manure spreaders.

Horses are out 24/7 and I mostly use pelleted bedding in their stalls (free access to them).

We have been eyeing the Newer Manure Spreader:
    http://www.newerspreader.com/details.htm

We can get them local and would work for our small farm.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should be getting for toys with our ATV?
    Gone gaited....

manure spreader

I've used several of these for several years. Overall they are good for a small operation. They will NOT handle wet hay mixed in and it helps to be able to drive over bumpy, uneven terrain to unclog. I don't like the agitator as it clogs easily with wet or hay mixed manure. They will require maintenance/replacement parts so make sure you are able to do this. I have not used pelleted bedding so I have no experience with that.
    "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

For small farms I liked the Millcreek spreader we had at the last barn I leased. We had the model 57 which was supposed to handle up to 10 horses but it honestly could barely handle the 8 we had.

It seemed pretty well made, never had a problem with wet shavings or anything like that.

I would recommend getting something bigger than you need. It was a real PITA when the horses were all in because of horrible weather and I had to empty the spreader in the pooring rain. I decided that I would get one that I didn't have to empty daily when I get my farm. (Then again, the tiny spreaders probably don't take too long to empty.)
      A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Comment

• Original Poster

We are handy people, plus SO is the type that can rebuild engines, weld, etc. so we will be OK with maintenance.

So the agitator can be more of a pain than it's worth? Some models seem to come with an agitator as an option....

My guys are never locked in and we have a place to store the spreader under cover.... good points as far as the rain is concerned. It would be stored for winter, as we are in a cold climate.
        Gone gaited....

Comment

Try the Newerpsreader. I have 5 horses and bed on pellets, it works great. easily pulled by small gator, so an ATV would be fine. Also, it's not very expensive with minimal moving parts.

Comment

We have the Newer Spreader and like it a lot. Never had it clog, but there isn't a lot of hay mixed in. Apparently the new ones (like mine) have a spring loaded thingy to let larger chunks pass without clogging.

As for other ATV toys, we have a big yellow plow and that thing can really push some snow.

Comment

We have a Millcreek that we pull behind our ATV and I love it. So very easy to use. We use shavings or paper (my gelding is allergic to the shavings or pellets) but have put straw through it too with no problem.

We also have a winch on ours and it has come in handy a bunch of times to move various objects and get it un-stuck. We have the detachable "Moose Plow too" and is very handy up here in CNY. And our last toy for it is a pull behind finish mower... we can mow our riding field in record time...

A trailer for it is handy too, but I find myself frequently just using the spreader as a trailer to move stuff.

I love using our ATV as our "Tractor" it is so versatile and has been very low maintenance.

Edited to add: I forgot we have a drag for it too... can speed drag the paddocks/fields too!

Comment

I LOVE my Newer Spreader. I bought it 5 years ago and it is still working great. I don't put much in the way of hay into it, it is not so hard to keep it seperate (and my horses don't waste any if they can help it). Best 500 bucks I ever spent.

I have 3 horses, and got the regular size one. I don't even have to spread it every day, since my horses are out 24x7, but do have free access to their stalls, and love to leave me "gifts" in there.
                There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

I've had a Fuerst manure spreader for about 12 years and it's still going strong. Small enough you can move it around (empty) by hand, but it will hold a fair amount, I've pulled it with my John Deere Gator as well as the lawn mower. It has ground driven beater bar and chain advance. It's like the Millcreek, but without the bells and whistles...not painted and pretty, but galvanized steel (and a good bit cheaper). It's been in constant use, mucking from 3-8 horses over these years.

One feature I've seen that I covet from the Millcreek is the"shield" that swings up when you get ready to spread...it prevents the manure from being flung forward (into the back of your head, when the manure is frozen). Fuerst doesn't offer this, and my efforts to cobble a similar thing together have, so far, failed miserably. Hint: always drive into the wind.

Like Trinity, it has been used to haul "stuff"....fence posts, rubbish, etc. Works as a handy little trailer when needed.

But unlike the Newer spreader type, you can put just about anything in this and it will fling it.....hay, straw, shavings, etc. The occasional rock won't cause any problems. Pretty easy to work on and if you call for parts/support, you get a real person.
                  Far Away Farm

Comment

We have a Newer Spreader too and after using it for 5+ years, I've finally decided that I don't hate it It will clog horribly with hay depending on the type of hay you make the mistake of putting in it (anything with timothy is a major problem, but alfalfa/ orchard grass is a breeze). We finally made the discovery that if you put your lawn tractor or ATV in reverse, it will unclog (YAY!!!). We have one of the smaller ones and with 2 big OTTBs and a wee pony who are stall-kept for 7 hours a day, it's a bit on the small side. My husband is going to see if it is possible to build the sides up taller this summer. He's also going to try taking the agitator off and installing it "backward" (with the wide parts to the inside) since the tiny bit of hay that gets run through it winds around the center of the agitator rendering it useless. We have kept ours outside for the past 5+ years and you'd never know it. They are quite durable!

Comment

Working...
                    X