• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

In a bit of a truck pickle..Dodge or Ford?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a bit of a truck pickle..Dodge or Ford?

So I am in the market for a truck to pull a two horse gooseneck trailer. I would need it for everyday barn use as well, so I need something that will last me as long as possible.

Seems like I am between two major brands, Ford and Dodge.(probably somewhere between and F250+ and a Dodge Ram 2500+) But everyone I have talked to have either been die hard Dodge fans, or "would never get anything but a Ford fans."

So I come to ask you guys! So what do you guys use to pull your rig? Ford or Dodge? Maybe another brand? Why?

Any help you guys could give me that would be great!
    The Little Man

Blog

My first truck was a F-150 regular cab, short bed 5.0 it had a limited slip axle, but I forget the ratio. It was rated to pull 7,300 lbs.

I had a 2H BP DR and I really needed a truck with a longer wheelbase (extended cab or long bed) as it did sway. I also think the height of the trailer 7'9" had something to do with it. I would "white knuckle" it when the semis passed me and I never felt all that great on highways with it. I tried the sway bars, but the hitch and bars were a PITA to deal with and I didn't notice all that much difference.

My next truck was & is a Dodge 2500HD Diesel 5.9 crew cab, short bed. I would forget the BP was behind it - pulled it great. Then I got a 2H GN LQ 5' shortwall and it pulls it wonderfully. Fully loaded for camping trips, I'm guessing it weighs 8500- 9000 lbs and the truck is rated to pull 13,450 - so I'm well within it's range if I decide to get a bigger trailer.

A 150 or 1500 can easily pull a 2H BP - but I do reccomend getting an extended or crew cab or the long bed - you need the wheelbase for stability.

I bought the brand trucks I did as I got the best deal at the time, I'm not stuck on any one brand, but I sure do like this Dodge. www.horsetrailerworld.com is a great source for info such as this as there are hundreds of threads about which truck to buy.
    Last edited by Heart's Journey; Feb. 24, 2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Another Dodge truck girl here Own a 1995 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins diesel engine and pull my 3 horse with large living quarters with no issue at all. Now keep in mind this truck is now 15 years old and still going strong. I anticipate another 10 years with it still....and even then the engine will be worth money to sell.

My truck is in excellent condition..no rust..no maintenance issues at all! love it! I do understand that this particular Cummins diesel engine is no longer on the market though. Thats a shame because the mileage is great (even with the big trailer behind).

Comment

I actually have pulled both a 3 horse gooseneck and a two horse bumper pull with a chevy silverado. It works well, does the job, and I have not experienced any sway problems

BUT if I was to buy another truck I would get one of the Dodge dully trucks.

Comment

I am a "Dodge" person, currently own an older 3/4 ton diesel and a newer diesel dually. But going forward I would probably buy Ford, not because I don't like my trucks but I would question the longevity of Dodge in the market. LOTS of people in the know have stated that it is not likely that Dodge/Chrysler is going to make it in the "new world." I just question whether 5 years from now if the company will exist. And the company is mostly owned by the union and the US govt. Not a good thing, IMHO.

Comment

We, by chance, have used Ford pickups for many years, had a friend that sold them.
            We currently have a 1990 and 2007, both 150F 4x4, old one 8' bed, new one crew cab, 6 1/2 bed.

Both have worked great, pulled our trailers and hardly have had a wrench on them, other than for standard service.

Then our neighbor has had dodges, 3/4 tons, for all those years.
            He uses his harder and he has had several problems with each one, right now has his last one in the shop, transmission troubles.
            As I say, if he had Fords, he probably would have some troubles also, because he uses his pickups very hard and many miles more than we do.
            He is using our 1990 Ford right now, again, while his Dodge is being repaired.

I would not worry about the brand, they are all about the same.
            Have a mechanic look at what you find and tell you which one INDIVIDUAL pickup is best for what you will be doing.

Comment

If you need it to be a daily driver, I'd go with the dodge ( we have three if you count my vet truck) gets way better mileage than the ford (last vet truck was a ford, and while it was ok to drive it got craptastic mileage and was uncomfortable after about an hour on the road)
              Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
              Sam: A job? Does it pay?
              Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
              Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Dodge all the way!!

I had a 1993 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually with the 5.9L Cummins diesel engine and I loved it

That thing made more trips hauling horses to and from FL then I can remember. It really wasn't that big, and drove GREAT, so I ended up driving it around for personal use too. Her name was "blondie"

..........Of course my ex got it in the "divorce"

Comment

It think it depends a lot on if you are buying new or used and if you are buying used what your price range is. We just bought our truck in September and we had a budget which meant we were buying used. I am not particular about brand as long as it met my requirements (diesel, quad cab, 3/4 ton or 1 ton...etc) there are some years of each brand that you should avoid depending on your preferences. I like my Dodge a lot but if we were buying new I think my DH would have instead on a Ford based on the current economic trends of the different companies
                  www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

I pull a two horse gooseneck with a 4' wall LQ. They are big horses, but not WB huge. I used to pull that rig with a Dodge one ton dually. It was way more than I needed, and I found the rig to be cumbersome. Now I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado HD 2500, which I love. It is perfect. I forget the terminology for allo the backseat configurations. This one has the small back doors with a small backseat, which is perfect for tack. This truck has never given me one bit of trouble, hauls wonderfully, and is easy to park and maneuver. No major work, but it only has 60,000 miles.

I have to put in a good word for Chevy. My 1995 half ton Silverado has 210,000 miles and runs like a champ. It has forgiven me for all my sins, such as when I used it as my hauling truck for the above rig. Really too much for a short bed 1/2 ton. I have had it in the shop for brakes, air conditioner, several occassions with bills of $1000 or so, but no transmission or major engine issues, and I have gotten way more than my money's worth from that truck. The guys in the shop say I will easily get to 300,000 miles.
                    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

we have an 03 f-250 diesel that we use to pull a 2-horse gn. i love this truck! i hate hauling but have hauled from texas to illinois and kentucky on numerous occasions. the truck made it easy. i thought we got decent milage hauling....around 13 miles to the gallon as i recall. i get around 17 mpg otherwise.

Comment

Mostly it really is a personal preference issue. And personal preference usually depends on past experience. I drive a lot of trucks for work and have owned a few. The trucks we drive at work, work hard -- tow, 4x4, carry loads. In my experience -- the Dodge engines are great, the rest of the truck is cheaply built. They are always knocked out of alignment, the front ends fall apart, the transmissions conk out too early. It's a Chrysler, and sadly, is made like a Chrysler and I personally will never buy one after driving the ones we have. The Fords have a bigger, sturdier frame and overall have lasted better with fewer issues with the hard work. I like the old Chevies best, but the new suspension Chevy is using now is so ridiculously soft, it does not handle weight well, blech. I loved my 96 Tahoe, but hate the 08 Silverado, sure glad I do not own it! It's pretty, but underpowered, geared too high, and eats tires. There are certainly good years and bad years for each of the brands.

So, again, it's kinda like religion, but there's my experience over 15 years or so.
                        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I think trucks can be as individual a choiceas, well, saddles
                          We currently have a Dodge Ram desiel 2500....I LOFF that truck! It pulls extremely well (I have a 24ft 3horse GN) hard to tell you are hauling at all. It was built for that work. It is primarily a towing vehicle for us, but if I were using it for daily driving, I might have considered the gas model.
                          We have had a Chevy in the past, and a good friend has a Ford---both good in their own rite, but for us, the Dodge is the best at towing.....

Comment

When I traveled a lot we pulled our 3 horse slant goosneck with dressing room, with a Ford F-350 Dually diesel and never had a problem. Truck ran until it had 350K. We have since down graded but still stick with the Ford. I guess we are just a Ford family.
                            Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, we just went through this. We had a 1996 F250 supercab and it was a great truck. We did have to replace the torque converter at about 85000, but that is pretty common with those trucks.

We looked really hard at used and new Fords, were ready to buy, but hubby talked to several diesel mechanics and they all said go Dodge, but if you don't want to replace the torque convertor or auto tranny, get a manual.

So, I am driving a new 09 Dodge 2500 quad cab in a snazzy red. I love the truck, getting used to the manual and how much sharper this truck manuevers than the old one.

I have towed several times with my two draftieX geldings and it is a towing machine. Can't wait to get the hitch in it so we can tow the fifth wheel camping.

I think both will tow the moon, but you have the same risk with the auto tranny's in both trucks. The deciding factor on the new Dodge was a factory close out price we just couldn't refuse.

Comment

Definitely a Ford girl here!! I currently tow with an 06 F-150, 01 F-250, and an 05 F-350. I've towed with an 00 Dodge 3500 and found it had many more mechanical issues than the Fords do.

Personally I'd go with the Ford, but truck people tend to get a little biased
                                Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                My equine soulmate
                                Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

You could always get a Toyota...
                                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

If you are considering Ford, only get a truck with the 7.3 liter diesel.

Or you could be real patient until '11 and get a New Ford with the Cummins engine!

Comment

I've had both as tow vehicles

Get the Ford. Way better made. I traded the dodge with it's THIRD motor in it and the frame on the Ford is much heavier than the dodge.

Comment

I haul with a Dodge 1/2 ton. My first was in 1988, and it was an incredible workhorse, with almost no repairs or maintenance bills (probably about $1500 in 13 years and 150,000 + miles) so I got another!

My 2001 1500 crew cab (another 2 wheel drive) has also been a super truck, and I now haul a 2 horse gooseneck. Again, my maintenance bills have been less than $1000 in almost 9 years, and it is our only vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X