• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Towing with a F250 (5.4L V8) ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with a F250 (5.4L V8) ?

Well I am buying a truck. I don't have a terribly huge budget to spend, but I am really looking to get all I can with my money. And I will admit, I really don't know much about cars or trucks other than how to drive them.

I came across the truck I am fond of. I am looking at a number of different ones, but this one seems ideal. Only issues is my mechanic friend is saying the engine is smaller than ideal for what I want, to pull my 2horse adams trailer (all aluminum) trailer, granted I do have a fairly large horse (17h, 1200lb-ish) that would be in it.

I just don't want to regret getting this truck. But looking around, they all seem to all have 5.4L engines. So do I really need bigger??

I am looking at a few diesels as well, so obviously they are bigger, but all gas F250s on my list are 5.4L in exception of one.

If you had around $10,000 to spend, what exactly should I be looking for?
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

I have a friend who pulls a 3-horse slant GN with an F250 with that very engine. She doesn't set any land speed records going up long hills, but it gets the job done totally adequately.

I don't think Ford is using a larger gas engine, except for the V-10, which is a professional gas guzzler. Having a diesel is really, really nice, but for the $$ you're talking about, the 5.4L should do the job for you.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

What year? The F250 V8 5.4 is probably the most popular trailer towing truck around here in CT for 2horse trailers, both GN and BP. They do fine in traffic, on hills, etc. You do lose a little "pick up speed" taking off from a stop or merging on the highway...but then when you have a horse or two behind you, you really don't want to take off fast anyways. Pisses the horses off.
      However if you really want to make sure you have more take off speed and not worry about slowing down going up hill...Ford makes an F250 6.8L V10 gas engine...360 hp I think? Give or take, might be 365 hp. You'd think I'd remember, it's what I have, LOL! I have a 2005 V10 F250. Sucker takes off like a bat out of hell if I have weight in the bed...without weight in the bed the tires peal out and we go nowhere fast. (and look stupid doing it) But there is a V10 6.8L option...we took that over the diesel for three reasons:
      1) There was a $6000 price tag to add diesel on the wish list.
      2) At that time diesel fuel went from being the cheapest fuel to the most expensive when oil prices skyrocketed. And they haven't dropped down since.
      3) The tow rates were the same.

So for the extra $6000 to pay more for fuel, have the same tow rating and only improve mileage by a teeny tiny fraction...well we went with the V10. Otherwise the diesel would have had to last 200,000 miles to cover the $6k in saved fuel mileage. And I never keep a vehicle that long to save money. AND...my truck starts even in -20 degree temps.

Only downside to my truck is that I got one with bad ju ju or a curse on it...or somewhere in it is a massive magnet because everyone and their freaking cousin has hit the thing since I've bought it. I'll have had it 5 years in May...it's been hit 4 times. 3 of those times I wasn't even in the freaking truck, it was parked!!! So do watch out for the extra magnetic invisible-to-other-drivers models.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

We have one with that engine and love it.
        Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

250?

Braggart!

LOL

Yes....that is a good one.
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for the reassurance ... I thought it would be big enough as I think a bunch of people around here have it. I just was worried with my friend's concerns. I am looking at a 2000, the one I LOVE is a 2001 with only 54k miles, and the others are 2005s.

Comment

As others have stated, you won't set any land speed records, and the truck with the V8 will do the job.

However, if you are looking at slightly older used trucks, the 7.3L diesels used in the F-250's in that age range (last used in mid-2000 Ford models), are reliable, will last forever, and will provide some low-end torque when pulling that you'll appreciate if you live in hilly terrain. We have two trucks of this vintage, and Mr. Molliwog and I plan to drive them until they no longer go.....we're just not impressed with the newer ones.

Depending on your area, you might be able to find one for about $10K. We didn't pay much more than that for my 2000 F250 with the 7.3L diesel a couple of years ago, and I love it- had less than 100K miles on it when we bought it. (And don't miss the F-250 with the 460 that it replaced for even one minute.)

Comment

I have a 2003 F250 extended cab with the 5.4L V8. I also have the 4.10 rear end in it, which helps with low-end torque. It has 90,000+ miles on it at this point (was my primary vehicle for a long time) and is still <knock wood> going strong. I drove it to Virginia and back this past summer, and it did fine through the mountains (although I did only have one 1200# horse, I had a LOT of crap with me, including 10 bales of hay and a whole lot of equipment).

I pull a 1999 Thorospirit New Yorker - 2H bumper pull with dressing room, steel frame with aluminum skin.
                ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess I should also mention that I don't haul very far or long. Generally the terrain here isnt too hilly. I can only think of one place where it is bad and lets hope I dont have to go up that again anytime soon (its to New Bolton where both my horses seemed to be frequent flyers all last year!)

I will be hauling to KY this summer when I move out there, but thats all I can think of besides local shows.

Comment

I have the 1999 F250, I thought that it was a 5.3L, but it might be 5.4.

I really like it. I have had it for nearly 4 years or so. Mine has about 120,000. I think that $10,000 might be high. We paid $10,400 in 2006.

I have hauled 2 horses all over, including in VT, and it is a bit slow accelerating, but has hauled great.

I won't say anything more or I will jinx myself.

I will say that I had a hard time finding a good used truck. They were all too new to be affordable or too old to be useful for long hauls.

Comment

I won't say anything more or I will jinx myself.
                      LOL...I shuddered a bit typing out how many times my truck has been hit in this thread. Now I'm just waiting for my truck to get hit again because I mentioned it. And it's parked in my driveway, but with my luck a tree will fall on it now.
                      You jump in the saddle,
                      Hold onto the bridle!
                      Jump in the line!
                      ...Belefonte

Comment

Check out my Dressage Today blog post about this same engine. I bought an F-350 with the same engine and EVERYONE has ok'd the towing capabilities. Check your truck's specs for towing capacity and compare it with your trailer's - that is the only way to be sure.
                        www.mooredressage.com
                        www.alsikkanfarm.com

Comment

I think it would do ok. You will get absolutely abysmal gas mileage though. We have a 1999 5.4 V8 F250 as a work truck at the office, you have to fill that thing up about every 5 minutes, it feels like -- and we rarely tow at all, only occasionally a small johnboat, which basically weighs nothing. My personal truck is also an F250 but it's the 7.3L diesel (2001) and I would HIGHLY recommend this for towing instead unless you just like pouring money into your fuel tank. These 7.3's are routinely going 300,000 miles or more with good maintenance and I really do think it's the best engine Ford has ever used (having owned three other Fords). There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of on a higher mileage diesel as long as it has been maintained properly. I bought mine at 107K and have zero complaints and it runs beautifully.
                          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Re: mileage - my truck in its prime got about 10 mpg towing. At this point it probably needs a tune-up, and the mpg has dropped a little bit.

Agree with what others have said about the 7.3L diesel. I have NEVER heard anyone say anything bad about that engine. They last forever.
                            ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

I would not have a diesel. More expensive to buy. More expensive to fuel. More expensive to maintain. I haul just fine with an F250 small block. Have had 2 of these trucks. Love 'em. Instead of the diesel option, I would spend money onf 4-wheel drive. The 2-wheel drive PU's get stuck in wet grass. If you're towing a horse trailer in a rutted field, there is nothing like 4WD to help out.
                              Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                              Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

I drive an F250 V8 diesel and we haul a 24ft goose neck stock trailer with ours, loaded with two 17.2H draft mares, all my tack, cart, harness, etc. with ease. It is a 2006

Comment

We have both an older 7.3L F250 diesel and a newer Dodge 1500 with the
                                  5.7 Hemi engine. There is no comparison--the F250 barely knows there is
                                  anything behind it. The Dodge does and gas mileage drops approximately in half. The Ford diesel gets better mileage without towing and only drops 3-4
                                  gallons when hauling. So it probably averages out on the fuel bill with the
                                  F250 a little ahead overall. Engine has about 260,000 miles, bought it with
                                  22,000 miles 12 years ago. It just keeps on trucking...so to speak!

Comment

For $5,000 or so cost to pay for the diesel option, you have to haul many miles to justify it. In addition, in areas with cold winters you need to have a block heaters and to add anti-gel to fuel. Oil changes for diesels is about 2-3x oil (if I recall one of the Cummins took like 3 GALLONS -eg., 12qt- of oil at each oil change vs 6-7 for gas). I won't argue that some diesels have good torque (pickup power) but considering one needs to accelerate gently pulling horses, then pickup is not that important in my book. I'm not doing wheelies in the truck and I hope never to explore top end speed pulling a horse trailer.

Like I said, for limited funds, I would look for a gas truck with 4WD.

I have had a 2000 F250 extended cab and haul 13-14 hrs up and down I-81. Truck got 10mpg regardless of speed on interstate and 14-15mpg around town. I used the aftermarket Teknosha Prodigy brake controller. Loved that truck. I also did the same trip in a 1998 F150. There is no comparison between the half-ton F150 to the bigger, heavier F250 for hauling a horse trailer. The F150 moved all over when a semi passed. The F250 doesn't know the trailer is back there even when running at 70mph. I would consider a half-ton (F150 or Chevy1500) for local hauling only.

I now have a new-used 2007 F250. Haven't had much experience with long hauls since I just got it (great deal). I do find that this truck has an electronic brain that I don't like. If you put the 2007 F250 in "tow-haul" mode it does funky stuff with downshifts for engine braking going down hill. The 2007 also has an integrated trailer brake controller. I prefer manual control to downshift and use trailer brake to adjust brake balance. In the 2000, the tow-haul mode just shifted the transmission out of overdrive so it would not be hunting.

So, for limited funds, my personal preference would be to get an older, lower mileage F250 small block (5.3 or 5.4L) with 4WD....automatic hubs would be nice, but manual hubs will do. Loooove the F250......
                                    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                                    Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

F250 is a good truck. We have one. I don't know what the L is. But we pull a horse aluminum goodneck. No problem. You should be fien w/ a little 2H

Comment

Originally posted by starkissed View Post
                                        ....... I don't know what the L is. .........
                                        "L" is for Liter......5.4 Liters = ~330 cubic inches. It is the 8 cylinder engine Ford offers.
                                        The 6.8 Liter engine (415 cid) is a 10 cylinder gas engine.....

The diesel options are priced $6,000-$7,000 depending on whether you look at "invoice" or "MSRP" pricing....not cheap and IMO not worth it.

Here is the F250SD 2010 info
                                        http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/s...pecifications/

Engine ............ Horsepower(hp@rpm)....Torque (lbs.-ft. @ rpm)
                                        5.4L gas (8cyl)......300 @ 5000 rpm...........365 @ 3750 rpm
                                        6.8L gas (10 cyl)...362 @ 4750.................457 @ 3250
                                        6.4L diesel............350 @ 3000.................650 @ 2000

Diesel has lots of low end torque. Fine for pulling heavy boats out of water. It only has 50 additional horsepower (think top speed). Unless you want to sit your horses on their butts pulling wheelies off from a light, then diesel is not worth it. If the choices are diesel+2WD, guarantee you will get stuck in flat wet grass. The smaller gas engine+4WD (on low range if needed) will get you out of most pickles.
                                        Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

Working...
                                        X