• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Putting weight on a senior cat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting weight on a senior cat?

I am having trouble putting weight on my 15 year old cat. I want to make her comfortable in her older years, but she seems to be disappearing! She is a Turkish Angora, white, fluffy thing. She has always had problems with different types of cat foods until we discovered six years ago that she was allergic to pretty much any commercial brand (kept puking up her dinner). We switched to veterinary brand hypoallergenic and the puking has disappeared.

As of recently, she has become extremely bored with her dry cat food and will only nibble at it (it is given free choice) and seems to be ALWAYS hungry (begging, meowing, trying to eat my food!). We started trying to introduce canned food again and there was no problems. However, she seems to eat and eat and yet she is as light as a feather. She is also starting to get mats on her hindquarters near her tail which is a new thing, as she was always able to keep herself quite neat. They are quite painful too as she doesn't want you touching them.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I could take her to the vets again, but I know they will just pump out their line of food as a solution, but she is not eating it. I am thinking about taking her to put her under anasthesia and at least clip away the mats. But short of feeding her pure fat, is there anything else I can do? She has been blood tested, stool/urine test and the numbers are fine. Anything?
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

I have been feeding my older cat, 15yrs, kitten chow by Purina. She much prefers dry, but all the other mixes seemed to give her the runs. Pretty awful, finding spots she had left behind after laying down on her blankets! We had to cage her up for a while until her stomach settled. She will eat a half teaspoon of this or that, plain yogurt, some food leftovers from the table now and again.

I will say the kitten chow is making her a bit plump in the stomach, which she has never been. Probably was about 5# at the fattest before.

So anyway, the kitten chow is working to keep her stomach settled, adding a bit of weight, with no runs at all. She was a barn cat before bringing her inside a couple years ago. Maybe I should find her a mouse or two!

Comment

First, I would definitely get her mats cut out. Mats can be extremely painful because they start to pull at the skin.

As for food, my mom started having this issue as her cat got older. She basically started feeding him whatever he wanted to eat. Now mind you I am a proponent of proper, good nutrition but I think my mom figured because the cat was basically nearing the end game (he was about 17 when the not eating started) she just gave him what he liked. In this case, it was the canned Fancy Feast stuff, which is possibly one of the worst foods to feed. However, it stopped him from losing anymore weight, although he never really bulked up again. Oh, and she eventually put him down at 19. So if you want, I would just purchase a variety of foods and see which one she'll eat.

Comment

eldery and sweet as pie kitty at our barn was wasting away to such painful looking bones that I thought for sure she was not going to make it. BO had vet check her out and vet prescribed something? that induced her appetite. I don't think ? she was on it long, before she'd put on quite a bit (!!) of weight and was eating like a champ again.

wish I knew what it was...but do ask your vet! This girl was turning her nose up even at the tuna...and whatever it was really kick started her back to eating to a healthy weight.
        ayrabz
        "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
        --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Make sure the panel they ran included a T4, and even if it was normal but towards the higher end of the range I would have them check a free-T4, which looks at the unbound amount of hormone in the blood. It is a more reliable test for hyperthyroidism, which is a hugely common problem in older cats. They often have increased, almost ravenous appetitie while still losing weight, and many times they seem to not be grooming as well.

I'm very suspicious that you might be dealing with a thyroid cat, but the good news is that there are some great management techniques for helping these guys, and they often can be managed and happy for years.

The two most common (although certainly not only) problems that cause weight loss in older cats are kidney disease and thyriod disease. TYPICALLY (not always) with kidneys you will have decreased appetitie and increased thirst, while thyriod will have an increased appetite and weight loss. Both diseases will often have vomiting along with the other clinical signs. However thyriod is harder to diagnose and easier to treat.

Katherine
          Vet Tech

P.S. and don't let them push their food, no matter what she's eating it's better for her than not eating at all. And run farther away if it's Hills.
          Last edited by Horsegal984; Feb. 9, 2010, 02:44 PM. Reason: add ps
          You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

With my old kitty, before he passed, part of his problem was dehydration that was making his nauseous, not wanting to eat... So the vet gave him fluids.

Towards the end, he was getting soft catfood and human baby food (chicken flavored was his fav), but this was only for a week or two as he never really improved and I had him put down (he had other medical issues that wouldn't get better and euth was the best th ing for him )... so I don't know what the long term would have done for his weight/ appetite.

My guy was a longhair and started getting mattes too, because he was having a hard time grooming himself due to arthritis. He was on kitty Cosequin for a good year or so and I really saw an improvement.

Good luck with your kitty!
            View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Comment

I have two older girls here, 14 and 15, and we give them whipping cream which hasn't affected their stools. I have no idea if medically it's the worst thing for them but in small amounts they sure do enjoy it.

For sure cut those hair mats out. A younger obese cat I have (she gets no whipping cream) develops those because, frankly, she can't always reach her south end.

Good luck with your girl. My two old ladies spend all day snuggled up beside the terriers soaking up extra body heat!

Comment

We have an older kitty, at least 12, who has never weighted much and is a picky 'cat food' eater. She eats the dry food (Iams), the occasional bit of KFC chicken or tuna and that is about it - no can food.
                I had her on antibiotics last year and added yogurt to her diet which she lapped up. Continued with the plain, non-fat or fat (which ever is available) yogurt (we use Dannon) and she has gained some weight.
                I don't think she will ever be plump - but at least she has a nice covering over her ribs and spine.
                Not too bad for a kitty rescued in an Atlanta apartment complex then moved to a horse farm in Camden, SC. She is a very special kitty.
                "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

I've got an older guy who has been dropping weight. Blood work showed everything normal but he had a mouth infection and needed teeth cleaned.
                  Got antiobiotics for mouth and was to bring him back in six weeks. Sam had
                  become the Hoover of the cats--always finishing off everyone else's canned
                  food bowls. Dawned on me he hadn't been at the dry food much--mouth hurt,
                  duh! Started adding water to a special bowl of dry food for him.

He went back for his checkup and had lost another six ounces. Mouth ulcers
                  worse, teeth cleaning scheduled. Started feeding small bowls of canned food every few hours and still doing it after his cleaning. Didn't want to let him have
                  too much at a time figuring he would throw it up. Amounts are getting larger.
                  Hopefully, he will soon be back to normal.

Sam is also a long hair and been doing the lion cut thing for a while. We're up to
                  once a year. First few times, we did the anesthesia thing which I don't like to do unless necessary. Found a groomer who has no problem with him not using it. He now comes home and struts his stuff. The other two longhairs aren't
                  as cooperative. Seems like the older the longhairs get, the more prone to matting they get even with a lot of combing.

Good luck with your kitty!

Comment

Hyperthyroidism..... been there/done that.

Gave meds until upping the dosage could no longer control it. Molly Cat ate and ate and ate and was sent over The Bridge a very very skinny kitty

Have the blood work done.
                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. See my thread on cat with chronic diarrhea. His thyroid tests came back normal. Since Nov he has been eating varieties of dry food and still losing weight. Now I am trying slippery elm, goldenseal elixor, baby food chicken and baby food rice.

Kitten food sounds interesting if it is not too high in protein. Will check it out.
                      There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Comment

My Best Kitty In The World, Whisper, is 17 and has been on meds for thyroid and kidney dysfunction for almost a year now. He had never been a real good eater but is skinny now and his coat does look a bit ragged, but no matts. He has a special food for his kidneys from the vet but I gave up making him only eat that kind; if he wants the regular food that the other cats eat, he may as well eat it too. At least it's something that he'll eat, as well as the other food. As far as special food, he always had a sensitive tummy anyway so I never got real creative with him. Baby food sometimes. . . I'm getting ideas (to try in moderation) from this thread though. . . thanks guys!

Comment

Here's another vote for getting the thyroid checked. Kidney too.

My old cat is now on blood pressure medication. (Yes they check his blood pressure with a little kitty sized pressure cuff wrapped around the hind leg.) His appetite and grooming habits have improved as his blood pressure has returned to normal kitty range.

A lot of cats really enjoy sliced lunch meat from the deli: turkey, chicken, roast beef. Not exactly a healthy balanced diet, but better than no calories at all.

Comment

I second the lunch meat, especially the turkey slices that are slightly moist to the touch. They are very good for my toothless cat.
                            Also, smaller meals more often.
                            My 17 yr old I occasionally hand feed the turkey and the younger one wants me to sit down and rest my hand on her back before she eats.
                            I think they just need a bit more comfort, more reassuring and more real attention from us as they age.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We have an appt for a blood test.

And we know all about the lunch meat.
                              Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Comment

when I couldn't get my 19 year old to eat much, I would food process chicken breast and add a little chicken broth and warm it in the microwave. Baby food is very good too.

She would eat that up with a smile.
                                I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Originally posted by Lori B View Post
                                  when I couldn't get my 19 year old to eat much, I would food process chicken breast and add a little chicken broth and warm it in the microwave. Baby food is very good too.

She would eat that up with a smile.
                                  ^^ agreed! Something thats not too solid. Liquids are the best things now. Ask the vet for any cat vitamins that you can give. Baby food can also work! and definitely some milk!

Good luck!

Comment

For mouth ulcers. there is a lysine gel available that helps a great deal. You can smear it on kitty's paw and they should lick it up.

Comment

You've gotten a lot of good advice, and I'm glad you're getting the blood test. It's normal to have reduced kidney function in older cats. One way to deal with the and the weight loss is to give fluids. If you're a horse person, I'm assuming you're OK and can give sub-cu fluids to a cat. You should be able to get a saline solution bag from the vet, and maybe giving a 100 cc's or so once or twice a week will perk her up. You might do this for a little while and then she'll be OK, or have to do it for the rest of her life. My friend, who is a vet, kept her older cat going for years. We have a cat right now with some kdney damage and he turns into a rail unless he gets fluids.

Also, Nutri-Cal. I think you can get it in any pet store or catalogue. It's a very high calorie tube of goo the cats usually really like.

Comment

If you think dehydration might be a factor, consider getting one of those cat fountains. They are not expensive and they really increased our cats water intake. I think it helped our old-lady-cat keep going for a couple more years (she finally pass away last summer at 22).

Comment

Working...
                                        X