• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

F-150 and Bumper Pulls, also, I have a question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F-150 and Bumper Pulls, also, I have a question

    So I go to my local trailer shop to get my weight distribution hitch put on my trailer and they told me I didnt have enough truck!!!! I have the 5.7L, 4x4, crewcab, 2009 with towing package F-150 and my horse trailer is a alluminum (shadow) 2 horse, straight load bp, w small dressing room (weights around 2,500lbs) I only haul ponies usually around 800-900 each and mainly one at a time. I got the reese weight distribution hitch (used) for a great price..Now do you guys think I have a big enough truck? also...my new hitch is great but I went to take the bars off of it and one of clips were the bars goes in is loose now, like isn't tight against the metal(I may have to take a pic to explain.) Its kind of like its spring loaded and the other one is so tight is just closes tighter. But when I put the bar in, its not lose enough for the bar to come out. Does that make sense? Should I take it to the trailer place to have it looked at? Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    I tow a 2H BP extra tall Sundowner with a dressing room, with a 5.7L F-150 with a weight distributing hitch just fine. The only time it might be an issue is pulling up and down steep hills or mountains. We just towed the trailer loaded with 3000 lb. of household goods from VA to CA with not ONE issue. Now a live load is different, but also won't equal 3000 lb. Is it my IDEAL tow vehicle? No. But it is more than adequate. Especially with the weight-distributing hitch (which I won't tow without.) If you don't tow a lot and don't tow up and down lots of big hills or mountains, you should be fine. I'm assuming you bought the truck with the tow package which includes heavier-duty brakes and such?

    Comment


    • #3
      Most folks here will tell you the same thing.

      I, OTOH, hauled my 1969 Stidham (no brakes, didn't have 'em back then) and then my S&S Custom Stock Combo (#2025 shipped weight) with my Dodge Dakota and with my 1996 big 6, F150 no problem.

      The WD hitch did make a small difference handling, more for the Dakota.

      I will put my kevlar flame suit on, and say that as long as the Tranny (HD cooler) and engine can do the job, and the electric brakes work, you are fine.

      I live on a mountain, 850+ feet up. I have to go up or down it to get anywhere. Then, once I hit the highway, I have to climb a fairly significant ring of mountains to get out of my metro area.

      I always figure if I MAKE it to Newport with no issues, the rest of the trip will be cake.

      You can go a lot faster highway speeds with Big Trucks. But GOD FORBID you have to stop. Everyone talks about Big Trucks having more stopping power... I disagree. If you're going that fast, sure, the truck *will* stop the trailer, but you're going to have some damaged horses too. If you slow down to begin with, things end up better. I cringe when the Big Trucks with trailers go cruising by me at 75 or more.

      And then people wonder why their horses don't load.

      I simply don't haul above 55mph with horses. 60 if I'm coasting down the mountains. I slow down A LOT , and very early for hazards. I pay super attention.

      I put 110k on the Dakota's first tranny, another 120k on the second, and I hauled 1600 +/- lbs of hay weekly, and USED 4WD a lot--can't really blame the trailer which I only use 7-10x a year. The Ford I've admittedly only put 80K on.

      I currently have a bigger truck, a GMC 2500HD. I find little difference in towing the same S&S (except for driver comfort! ) mileage is the same as the Ford F150. The biggest thing? Several times I've found myself going TOO FAST for conditions with the trailer becaus it's easier. I DO see that as a bad thing. I still have the Ford, and if I'm only hauling one horse, odds are I will use it, mileage is that much better.

      I grew up in a time where we hauled all sorts of steel trailers with mostly 150's and 1500s. I've made several X-Country trips with v6 vehicles. I honestly, dont' think Big Trucks are all they are claimed to be.

      And I know I'll get vehement opposition.
      Last edited by pintopiaffe; Feb. 7, 2010, 07:31 PM.
      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

      Comment


      • #4
        I would check the rating on your particular, individual truck. I know that the new F-150s can be set up to tow up to 9,000 lbs, but that does not mean that your particular truck is set up this way. It depends on engine, transmission, the weight of your truck's body style, plus a few extras that may or may not be on your particular truck. So it is possible that your truck is okay, but none of us can tell you for sure.
        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

        Spay and neuter. Please.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          How do I check the towing capacity, I am pretty sure it is 8,500 according to the FORD book...but Im not positive

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by monstrpony View Post
            I would check the rating on your particular, individual truck. I know that the new F-150s can be set up to tow up to 9,000 lbs, but that does not mean that your particular truck is set up this way. It depends on engine, transmission, the weight of your truck's body style, plus a few extras that may or may not be on your particular truck. So it is possible that your truck is okay, but none of us can tell you for sure.
            I can.

            That pickup will be fine. Ford did not make a F150 rated at less than 5000# in 2009.
            Disclaimer;
            Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
            Not in the 42% or the 96%

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KingstonHill View Post
              How do I check the towing capacity, I am pretty sure it is 8,500 according to the FORD book...but Im not positive
              Click the "2009" link in the above post, need your wheelbase, engine size, and rear axle ratio. That will tell you what you're rated for.

              As for your WDH, IF I understand the style of WDH you have, and IF I understand which clip your talking about, and IF I understand your complaint about it.......thats a lot if IF's......then you need someone capable to look at it. What you are describing could become a problem.
              Disclaimer;
              Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
              Not in the 42% or the 96%

              Comment


              • #8
                Coleridge the Wonder Truck (380,000, original engine) is an F150 and has done just fine for years hauling a steel 2h bumper pull, including loaded with 2 full size horses. I do have a weight distribution hitch. I replaced the transmission at 333,000. That is the ONLY major repair.

                Got called to brother's rescue yesterday. I was out doing chores when the dog went off and started barking, and here came brother WALKING into the driveway. He was several miles down the road and had had a nice unplanned morning walk in the cold. Hit black ice on a hill and completely lost it, buried little car about 25 feet off the road, nose down, nearly into a culvert. So he walked to my place for help.

                Coleridge and I were game to try with no promises given. Awful location, and I had a bad feeling the minute I saw it. Very steep slope and drop off from road, sneet-slick footing, ground so soft you sank in several inches just people walking. Car WAY over there. I backed Coleridge down that slope catercornered to match car, until I had 3 of 4 tires off. The tow rope just BARELY reached at that point. Truck, bless him, would not pull it back out up the slick and steep and soft slope. That's probably the first thing in 12 years that I have asked of that truck where he refused, although he did try. Can't blame him. Awful spot. I called this game off and told my brother to call a tow truck, and with the car unhitched, Coleridge did promptly pull himself back up out of the ditch and onto the road, starting from 3 tires off, deep mud, sneet, steep downslope.

                You won't break any speed records, but you didn't need to anyway. LOVE my F150. Will keep him forever and replace all parts as needed. Might get a bigger truck someday, but this one will never lose his usefulness, and I wouldn't hesitate to pull a bumper pull with him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank you DT. I was once again (while listening to CarTalk) contemplating the wisdom of putting the power steering pump, tires & gas tank onto Tess the Truck, or trading her for a car.

                  She's only got 120k on her. That's a BABY ford.
                  InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That makes me giggle.
                    I pull one horse (maybe 1000lbs) in my cotner with my ford ranger. It came prehitched from the dealer, all I had to do was wire it for my electric brakes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I pull a 2-horse Hawk trailer with dressing room with my Chevy Silverado 1500 Z-71. Our truck has the factory installed to package and the larger Vortec 5300 V8 4-speed automatic engine w/4WD. The Z71 also includes the off-road suspension system. I haven't hand any problems hauling 2 horses. I do use a weight distribution hitch at all times though - even when just hauling one horse.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pintopiaffe View Post
                        Most folks here will tell you the same thing.

                        I, OTOH, hauled my 1969 Stidham (no brakes, didn't have 'em back then) and then my S&S Custom Stock Combo (#2025 shipped weight) with my Dodge Dakota and with my 1996 big 6, F150 no problem.

                        The WD hitch did make a small difference handling, more for the Dakota.

                        I will put my kevlar flame suit on, and say that as long as the Tranny (HD cooler) and engine can do the job, and the electric brakes work, you are fine.

                        I live on a mountain, 850+ feet up. I have to go up or down it to get anywhere. Then, once I hit the highway, I have to climb a fairly significant ring of mountains to get out of my metro area.

                        I always figure if I MAKE it to Newport with no issues, the rest of the trip will be cake.

                        You can go a lot faster highway speeds with Big Trucks. But GOD FORBID you have to stop. Everyone talks about Big Trucks having more stopping power... I disagree. If you're going that fast, sure, the truck *will* stop the trailer, but you're going to have some damaged horses too. If you slow down to begin with, things end up better. I cringe when the Big Trucks with trailers go cruising by me at 75 or more.

                        And then people wonder why their horses don't load.

                        I simply don't haul above 55mph with horses. 60 if I'm coasting down the mountains. I slow down A LOT , and very early for hazards. I pay super attention.

                        I put 110k on the Dakota's first tranny, another 120k on the second, and I hauled 1600 +/- lbs of hay weekly, and USED 4WD a lot--can't really blame the trailer which I only use 7-10x a year. The Ford I've admittedly only put 80K on.

                        I currently have a bigger truck, a GMC 2500HD. I find little difference in towing the same S&S (except for driver comfort! ) mileage is the same as the Ford F150. The biggest thing? Several times I've found myself going TOO FAST for conditions with the trailer becaus it's easier. I DO see that as a bad thing. I still have the Ford, and if I'm only hauling one horse, odds are I will use it, mileage is that much better.

                        I grew up in a time where we hauled all sorts of steel trailers with mostly 150's and 1500s. I've made several X-Country trips with v6 vehicles. I honestly, dont' think Big Trucks are all they are claimed to be.

                        And I know I'll get vehement opposition.



                        you really get better mileage with the ford?? i believe you, im just surprised. i assume the chevy is a diesel? what kind of mileage with each do you get??

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          #13
                          Can anyone post some pics of there weight distribution hitch? Now at the dealer they said I couldnt have sway bars and a WD hitch? Does that sounds right? I got the Reese Straightline WD Hitch

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I get better mileage with ONE horse in the trailer with the Ford, about 11-12mpg highway. 19-21 empty. (it's a standard, too)

                            With the GMC (gasoline ) I get 7-10 tops with trailer, with trailer with 1 horse, with trailer with 2 horses, with trailer, 2 horses, tack, hay etc. etc. etc. And a whopping 13 with no trailer.

                            It's not *that* MUCH I suppose but slightly, and when the routine lesson trip is 450 miles, it does add up. Also depends on whether I'm unhitching and travelling further (which I often do--leave horses overnight, go see parents, come back next day for another lesson, etc.)

                            It's probably in my mind though. The Ford has this foolish 15 gallon gas tank. Which means stopping a lot, but less $$ to fill. The GMC has a 30 gallon tank. Which I've only ever FILLED 2x since I"ve owned it.
                            InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                            Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pintopiaffe View Post
                              I get better mileage with ONE horse in the trailer with the Ford, about 11-12mpg highway. 19-21 empty. (it's a standard, too)

                              With the GMC (gasoline ) I get 7-10 tops with trailer, with trailer with 1 horse, with trailer with 2 horses, with trailer, 2 horses, tack, hay etc. etc. etc. And a whopping 13 with no trailer.

                              It's not *that* MUCH I suppose but slightly, and when the routine lesson trip is 450 miles, it does add up. Also depends on whether I'm unhitching and travelling further (which I often do--leave horses overnight, go see parents, come back next day for another lesson, etc.)

                              It's probably in my mind though. The Ford has this foolish 15 gallon gas tank. Which means stopping a lot, but less $$ to fill. The GMC has a 30 gallon tank. Which I've only ever FILLED 2x since I"ve owned it.


                              Ok i gotcha, makes much more sense now. it would make sense that the 2500HD gets less mpg than the smaller 1/2 ton ford. thats pretty good mileage with the ford, i havent been paying attention much to ford since i got rid of my mustang and picked up my dodge pickup. and i do like the 35 gallon tank my truck has! though when diesel was $5 a gallon out here in CA it was a nightmare


                              and to the OP, your fine with the trailer. and i would have someone look at the issue with the hitch you described, it is just too tough over the internet. better safe than sorry!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                You probably have what my trailer guys call tortion bars (not sure if I spelled that right). The "sway" bar as I understanding, is a separate option, in addition to the tortion bars. The said T bars help the hitch distribute the weight of the tow vehicle forwards on the truck. At least this is how I remembered it being explained to me. Tom King would be a could one to chime in on this.
                                RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                                RIP Barichello

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  We have a F-250 power stroke 6-speed that we use to haul a bumper pull two horse. Needless to say, it is more truck than is required, but there are many times we have been glad to have the extra power. Due to this we have not had to put stabilizers/equalizers/sway bars on (per mech. rec.). We routinely haul 8+ hours on highways w/ semis and high winds and had no problems with swaying. I have been in a truck pulling loaded four-horse goose neck over a pass and been worried about making it to the top. If its an option, always opt for more power than less, you will be glad to have it someday and have fewer problems. As a footnote: I prefer manual transmissions in case the brakes fail

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by KingstonHill View Post
                                    Can anyone post some pics of there weight distribution hitch? Now at the dealer they said I couldnt have sway bars and a WD hitch? Does that sounds right? I got the Reese Straightline WD Hitch
                                    The Reese Strait-Line Hitch already has sway control built in. Take a look around etrailer's faq page.

                                    Weight distribution and sway control are two seperate items. In the better WDH they are combined, the Equal-i-zer and the Reese Strait-line/Dual cam series are very popular examples of an 'all in one' type of hitch. You will be pleased with your hitch's performance.
                                    Disclaimer;
                                    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
                                    Not in the 42% or the 96%

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by KingstonHill View Post
                                      How do I check the towing capacity, I am pretty sure it is 8,500 according to the FORD book...but Im not positive
                                      Try the driver side door, around the hinges.

                                      The rear end makes a big difference in tow capacity. I was looking at a local dealers selection of F150s and out of all he had on the lot only one was configured the way I would consider to be a good towing truck (max tow capacity).
                                      Last edited by MSP; Feb. 9, 2010, 04:14 PM.
                                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by MSP View Post
                                        Try the driver side door, around the hinges.

                                        The rear end makes a big difference in tow capacity. I was looking at a local dealers selection of F150s and out of all he had on the lot only one was configured the way I would consider to be a good towing truck (max tow capacity).
                                        I'm guessing you saw a lot of short boxes?

                                        I think that's all our local dealer orders on the F-150's (although lots of super crew cabs or whatever the 4 door option is called).
                                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X