• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

People are rude/I love my Dog!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are rude/I love my Dog!!

Hi, the farm where I live is for sale, it clearly says on the sign;"Call Agent". It does not say drive in and look around! Luckily today, I had the dog with me and she started barking fiercly, so the people only pulled in the drive part way and drove off. I cannot believe how rude people are! I truly believe if I hadn't been there(with the dog) these "people" would of just drove back and possibly went into the barn etc.!

Is there any liablility on me if people do this and they would get hurt? Is the real estate company in any way responsible? I know I will call the Agent, but have any other folks experienced these issues?

Tia,

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Lock your gate. Give the estate agent a key.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Personally, I think you're over reacting a bit. Being on the farm search myself, i've been doing a lot of drive by's over the past few weeks.

Would you rather have to show your house to someone who would have ruled it out of their search by simply driving by?

Some houses I can get a good enough idea of by driving back and forth a few times. If it appears that no one is home, and it's on a road where I can't drive slowly, I may pull in the end of the driveway. I wouldn't dream of getting out, or wandering around, but I do take a minute or two to observe. The house I drove by tonight very obviously had people home, so I didn't stop. However, i've used other people's driveways to turn around, so how do you know someone wasn't just turning around in yours?

About half the houses i've driven by, i've ruled out of my search on that alone. Something visible from the road very obviously didn't meet my needs. I'm very glad I didn't waste someone's time asking to be shown those when I could take one look and move on.

If someone is dumb enough to get out and wander around your property, it's trespassing, plain and simple. Call the cops. If they are observing your house from the inside of the car, then they could potentially be the person who buys your house. I wouldn't chase them off.

Comment

I am guessing that you are a tenant, and thus your disgust? Most owners would be overjoyed that someone slowed down in this market long enough to stop.

If it bothers you that much, break your lease and find somewhere else to live. Your attitude is exactly why most tenants are moved out before putting real estate on the market.
        Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

Like the above poster, when we were looking we did lots and lots of drive by's. We might even pull in the drive and while still in the car, take a peek to see if we like the place. Most of the time we didn't even need to pull in since they were no go's from the few seconds we saw from the road. However, once in a while we'd stop. If we stopped, then we really liked the place! So, if you're a homeowner who is selling, I'd welcome these people! If you want to sell a house, you want people to give it a second look. Of course they should make an appointment to see it in more depth but a quick look from a car helps a lot.

Comment

I can relate to what you're feeling as we experienced lots of 'rude' looking when our farm was listed For Sale. We had a gate that was kept closed by the highway/driveway, but that did not stop anyone from getting out of their car/truck, opening the gate (and leaving it open) to drive up our driveway to look us over. I had a huge cathedral window in my kitchen, and I remember standing at the kitchen sink, staring out at someone staring right back in at me - and I was the one who 'blinked' first!

I was told by my agent that once your house is listed, you are 'fair game.' People want to look, and they will. They will walk around on your property, go into your buildings, and I suppose, attempt to come into your house. That's where I drew the line...told people to call the agent, and make an appointment. And that's another thing - appointments can and will be made at the least appropriate times. Your animals will be 'wild' because of changed feeding schedules, etc., and you'll be extra stressed yourself because the property must be kept spotless in order to sell.

I don't think that you can 'call the police' - you can complain, especially if you rent - but it probably won't do any good. Another warning* Put your valuables away. If stuff goes missing, seems that it's your tough luck. I'm beginning to believe that this economy has brought a new wave of 'cat burglars' to the table - those that pose as househunters, and are really casing places. Ask me how I know.

Comment

we bought our farm

because the people who had it for sale we nice enough to show us around when we pulled in and inquired. We found it while driving around looking for/at other properties in the area and just heading down the road on a hunch. Had we not been so welcomed and shown around, we would have disqualified it based on our internet search and the fact that it was considerably more expensive that what we had planned. In this economy, if you're a seller, just keep all your clothes on while walking by uncovered windows and wear your bra to the barn. If you're a tenant, well, go ahead and find your next place now so you don't have to worry about it. I've both bought and sold homes with a door knock and an offer.

Comment

When we were house hunting I almost ALWAYS at least pulled in the end of the driveway first. I had limited time to look with DH so I "scoped" them out ahead of time and decided if it was worth making an appt to see it. I knew the house we ended up buying was empty based on the listing pictures, but I drove all the way up the driveway and looked in ALL the windows. I knew nobody lived there, but come to find out the son who was selling the house lived next door and was watching me the whole time. If I hadn't been intrigued enough to drive over there and look we might not have considered it at all to begin with since it was out of our price range. Once I saw it though I just had to see the inside.

Comment

Around here lots of people don't post a sign for this reason. ETA for a while the property I boarded at was for sale. Once in a while a stranger would pull in while I was tacking up. I always treated them politely, though I didn't know any details about the property (I did, but I pretended not to) and told them they should probably contact the agent to find out more and make an appointment. None of them were rude enough to want to get out and have tour though.

Comment

I don't think it's that horrible that someone pulled in and I don't think you should assume that they would have walked into your house!

When I was farm hunting (to rent not own) we drove all around and some of the farms were set waaaaay back on the road so we had to drive down to see them.

Many people were happy that we stopped by and wanted the chance to show their stuff.

Others just nodded and went about their lives and we took a quick look and moved on.

The previous farm I rented was owned by a non-horse person and one day a real estate agent showed up and told me that he wanted to put it on the market and he told her she could look around my house

He NEVER told me he was thinking of selling nor did he ask (or give me 24 hours notice as stated in the lease) that he or anyone else would be entering my house.

I thought that was rude and thoughtless but the joke was on him.. my house was a mess and I gladly showed her every aspect of his house that he had not maintained (I only lived there for a few months) and was not up to code, and how it was totally not ready to be put on the market (which was true, I shouldn't have even agreed to rent it but I was a sucker).
                    http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

• Original Poster

I am actually the owner(co-owner). I truly believe this person would of driven back had "we" not been there. There have been a couple of lookers that did and walked around. I have no problem with the drive bys. Also, someone pulling into the end of the drive is ok, but because of my "schedule" and the fact that I am the one who is 99% of the time home alone I am somewhat concerned for my personal safety! I just don't feel a person can be too safe in this day and age. I guess I was surprised and somewhat elated that my dog was "protective" of me.(she has little training).
                      Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Comment

If you're that concerned, put up a gate and lock it. Hooray for the dog. Our rescued lab is very protective, no training either and he's only a year old.
                        Last edited by LauraKY; Jan. 18, 2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

"Wear a bra to the barn" LOL! TOTALLY!

Some places around here will try and short circuit the lookie loos by
                          a)putting up a locked gate ( or other barrier like a chain strung from tree to tree) and
                          b)also a little box on the for sale sign with take away brochures that lists the propertie's details, some nice pictures of the interiors and most importantly
                          c)in large letters across the top "Call Agent for a viewing" and in smaller letters "Please do not disturb residents without an appointment-Farm Dogs on duty".
                          "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Yeah, that too!

For what it is worth, I would keep the dog with you, and maybe invest in some training for it if you can do it. There is no better comfort than being outside alone on the farm with a trained guard dog. The house will eventually be sold, but the training on that dog will benefit you both for the rest of it's life.

ETA: There's nothing I like better than a well-trained German Shepherd with a nice, big toothy smile!
                            "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

It's a buyer's market. If you are really intent on selling the property, suck it up that you might get the occasional drive by, ESPECIALLY if you have a sign out front ("Call Agent" or not). One of our clients is shopping right now. We've been to all of his top picks and I've noticed that a few do not have signs out front. The only way we knew they were for sale was that they were on the agent's list. If you are really that concerned about people driving in when you don't want them, take the sign down, but be prepare for a lot less interest. And be prepared that you might still get unwanted visitors (might get the address and go for a Sunday drive before making an appointment to really look).

We have driven down the drive of a few properties while scouting for our client. They've all been properties set far off the road and we've been able to eliminate a few potentials by driving down and taking a peek.

One last thing...people drive down driveways for all sorts of reasons. I know that LOTS of people will drive down drives of horse farms looking for boarding, lessons, or trying to find barns to rent.
                              Amanda

Comment

Judging from the responses you've gotten here, I'd say therein lies the problem: the majority feel that they have every right to 'view your propery' without an agent present, or appointment. I think that's rude.
                                Its invasive, especially when you have horses on the property, or a dog who may bite while guarding the property, or when the owner isn't even home.
                                When my farm was for sale, I got plenty of tire-kickers who were out on a Sunday drive. My farm had a 'for sale' sign at the end of the driveway, with lots of brocheres in a little box. The price (which was in the high 6 figures) was printed in plain English on those brocheres. It stopped No One from opening that gate, and taking that 'tour.' And in many cases, that tour included a romp in my pastures to pet the nice horsies..and I even found one family in my barn with their kid in a stall w/horse. Tell me how being nice to that type of 'buyer' is to anyone's advantage?? I even 'sprung' for the virtual tour package on the internet - don't think anyone bothered to look at it because of the numbers of people who just showed up.
                                I'm not feeling real generous toward how realtors run their show right now (can ya tell?). If something happens while these 'uninvited lookers' are on your property, who's liable??? Not the realtor, and not the lookers.
                                Yes, I'm sure the OP wants to sell the farm, but wow. I guess I'm a bit surprised that more, especially here, don't understand why the OP is a bit freaked out. Or am I just an ole fuddyduddy who needs to get with the times??

Comment

TBMaggie you are right. Some people don't know where to draw the line.

But some realtors will give you a list of properties and tell you to take a look. If you see something you like, call them. Saves everybody a lot of time and grief.

OP - it will only get worse when appraisers and home inspectors start showing up. And when the potential buyers want to look 2, 3 or even more times before they make an offer. I'd start looking now.

Comment

I'm looking for a farm currently and I ALWAYS at least drive by before making an appointment to look at the property. I would never dream of going more than a few feet (literally no more than 10 feet) down the driveway and certainly wouldn't open a gate or walk around. The one exception was a farm I know for a fact was completely vacant and has never been lived in or had an animal on it (knew a friend of the property owner).

However, especially in my area, I want to make sure that they aren't showing pictures of the single 3 acre pasture out of 30 heavily wooded acres and claiming it has ample pasture (honestly, we came across one that had that and the owner claimed he kept his 7 show horses in that pasture). I also want to make sure it isn't on the side of a steep hill. I don't think it is unreasonable to check out a property without being invasive.
                                    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Comment

Originally posted by TBMaggie View Post
                                      Judging from the responses you've gotten here, I'd say therein lies the problem: the majority feel that they have every right to 'view your propery' without an agent present, or appointment. I think that's rude.
                                      Its invasive, especially when you have horses on the property, or a dog who may bite while guarding the property, or when the owner isn't even home.
                                      When my farm was for sale, I got plenty of tire-kickers who were out on a Sunday drive. My farm had a 'for sale' sign at the end of the driveway, with lots of brocheres in a little box. The price (which was in the high 6 figures) was printed in plain English on those brocheres. It stopped No One from opening that gate, and taking that 'tour.' And in many cases, that tour included a romp in my pastures to pet the nice horsies..and I even found one family in my barn with their kid in a stall w/horse. Tell me how being nice to that type of 'buyer' is to anyone's advantage?? I even 'sprung' for the virtual tour package on the internet - don't think anyone bothered to look at it because of the numbers of people who just showed up.
                                      I'm not feeling real generous toward how realtors run their show right now (can ya tell?). If something happens while these 'uninvited lookers' are on your property, who's liable??? Not the realtor, and not the lookers.
                                      Yes, I'm sure the OP wants to sell the farm, but wow. I guess I'm a bit surprised that more, especially here, don't understand why the OP is a bit freaked out. Or am I just an ole fuddyduddy who needs to get with the times??

I too believe it is rude, from a buyers stand point. When we were in the market for property last year (not a farm, but just a house with lots and lots of yard) we never thought of entering someone elses property unescorted by the agent. I know I wouldn't want someone poking around on their own if I were the seller (what if they got hurt going into an area they weren't supposed to? you can't trust people to heed a simple "do not enter" sign), so I didn't wander when the show was on the other foot.
                                      There's coffee in that nebula.

Comment

Which is the least of your evils--a) arranging the time for showing perhaps a few phone calls to finally connect/agree, cleaning the house, corralling all the critters, arranging to be somewhere else as not to disturb the potential buyers....and then they drive up, take 2 steps and immediately leave. b) Or the random drive-bys?
                                        Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X