• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Down sizing to a bumper pull and NEED help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down sizing to a bumper pull and NEED help!

Hey Guys,
    Well its a new year and I'm getting rid of everything I dont ABSOLUTELY have to have..which means the huge 1 ton truck and the gooseneck trailer..I just bought a new f-150 yesterday and now I am looking to trade in my gooseneck trailer for a nice 2 horse bumper pull, I will only be traveling about an hour or so to horseshows and about 35 minutes to lessons. Now I know NOTHING about bumper pulls, my new truck has the towing package in it, its also a 4x4, I live on a terrible dirt road. I was told by the trailer dealer that I got my GN from that he has a 4-star, sundownder and a lakota that I could trade for...What are the brands that are "the best", long lasting, sturdy trailer..That I can safely pull with my F-150? Also what all do I need, I know i NEED a sway bar, what is a weight distribution hitch? Thanks in advance I know this has been discussed over and over...but I NEED advice asap! Thankss

Depending on exactly what F150 you have, I would say most any 2H trailer would be fine. Check here for tow ratings if your truck is 2002 or newer.

Trailer brand is a personal choice, I don't see how you could go wrong with 4star.

Take a read through this faq to learn about WDH and sway control. The actual Equal-i-zer brand hitch is very popular and is what I used with my Explorer.

You will also need a brake controller, I recommend a Prodigy or better model to keep things under control.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Comment

I used to keep two trucks and two trailers due to the fact that a young man with pyromanical tendencies lived down the road from me (made home-made napalm etc). I just knew that we would have a grass fire some day and would need to evacute all horses quickly. He grew up and moved away, so I was eager to unload the 3H gooseneck and aging F250. I am down to just a regular Chevy 1500 and bumper pull and couldn't be happier. So much easier and quicker to hook up. No more climbing around in the truck bed to hook up the gooseneck. You do what you can do with your aging body and mine didn't like the non-hydraulic hookup procedures.

I would recommend an aluminum constructed trailer for its lighter weight and if you are used to bringing a lot of things with you to shows, a separate dressing/tack room. Top of the line brands are 4-Star, Barrett (not sure they make a bumper pull), and Featherlight. Spec out trailer tires (heavier sidewall construction) on any model you order. I was astounded to find that many trailer manufacturers use passenger tires on their newer trailers. Make sure if you have big horses, that you provide enough head room and width for them. I prefer side by side loading arrangements for that reason.

Good luck!

Comment

I just bought an old sterling trainer. Its nice but they dont make them anymore.

My family has a 4 star (its a goose neck 2 horse +1). I absolutely love it, it is such a lovely trailer. And they look incredibly nice after a wash, shine comes right back.

Also, Eby makes suuuuper surable trailers- but for a price.

I hear adams is nice, I almost bought one. And they make Al ones too.

sundowners and trail-ets have a lot of "cute" (as I call them) attachments that do not hold up well unless you are one of those meticulous people who garage keeps their trailers and sweeps it daily and all that. Like the little door handles and window prop thingy's just break after time. My family is the type that takes care of the horse and maybe remembers to sweep out the trailer and close it up right before the next trailer ride! hehe

Comment

What size are your horses that you will be hauling?

I would check thoroughly into the towing capacity of the F-150. Engine may be big enough, but is the frame sturdy enough and heavy enough?

Yes, you can gain the speed you need but what about stopping safely in a less than perfect weather conditions with a live load in the trailer????

Personally, I wouldn't haul with anything less than a 3/4 ton even in a downsizing situation.

Comment

I have to say I am very safety conscious, did a LOT of research before I bought my truck and trailer, and...gasp...tow with a 1500 ....
            which is a heavy duty, and as EQUIPPED (yes, all 150s/1500s are not the same) has a tow rating of 9000 lbs.

Please don't tell people they can't tow a 2 horse bp with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. It's just not true. You can't tow a trailer with a truck that is not rated to tow that trailer, fully loaded. You have to run the numbers for the exact TRUCK you have or are looking at. There are way too many possible configurations.

To the OP, as 2bee said, start by figuring out your truck's tow rating. This article is helpful in terms of the hitch, etc.
            http://www.equispirit.com/info/towing.htm
            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I've towed with a Chevy 1500 and now a Tahoe. You don't need anti-sway bars, IMO, with a standard 2 horse BP (unless your horse doesn't trailer quietly and/or you drive like a maniac). I have a Sundowner 2 horse straight load with a dressing room, warmblood size and have never felt the need for the anti-sway bars. That said, I do use anti-sway bars when towing our 22 ft long camper trailer. (BTW, around town, I just tow the camper with my regular horse trailer hitch).

As far as stopping goes, that's why trailers have electric brakes. I agree with the recommendation to go with a Prodigy controller; they're wonderful.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey guys,
                Thanks for all your adice, My new truck is 2009 and supposedly has up to 11,000 lb towing capacity, it came with the towing package in it, including the brake thing, not sure what you call it...do you think I will need something else? Also, I will be hauling two 14.2 hand ponies, usually only one though. Do you guys think the straight load or slants are better? I have a slant now and HATE the first stall, its TINY...but I have heard they are safer, if you have to slam on your brakes...I am going into town tomorrow to look at some trailer and will see what I find..Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I don't know about the safety issue -- slants were never an option with me as my horses are too big *(17.3, 17.2, now the baby is 17 and chunky!) so I didn't really look into them...but I didn't love the idea that in order to get one horse in the front off you'd have to get the one in back off. If you are towing alone this could be a safety issue all by itself, in my opinion. Nice to be able to unload whichever one you want and leave the other one safely on board.

But lots of folks have them and love them. Horses ride well in them if they are small enough!
                  The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I am buying a steel Adam stock/slant combo. The slant stall is not tiny at all - it will fit my 16.1 hh horse fine - I have measured him nose to tail and the stall(s) over and over in my trailer search - he isn't overly stocky but he isn't skinny either. The trailer I am buying has an escape door at the front of the 1st slant stall, so in an emergency, he has a way out without waiting for the back horse to move. I also like that I can pin the gates back and use the trailer as a stock when I am only towing one horse.

Your truck should tow a 2-horse BP just fine.

Comment

I trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburban and a 2300 lb 2-horse straightload steel trailer. I've had this combo for 6 years and love it. I've had to replace front brakes a wee bit more often on the Suburban due to the towing, but otherwise it's been a great truck and trailer that I've used on long and short hauls in all sorts of weather and terrain.

Comment

Kingston Bumper Pull

I bought a 1998 Kingston 2 horse pumper pull in 1999 as a left over. It is an aluminum trailer and still looks brand new. I take great care to clean out the inside after every use and have it washed/detailed and maintenance checked every other year. This trailer is great and tows like a champ. It is stored outside in the open but the finish stills looks wonderful. Love this trailer.

Tried the sway-bar hitch for safety and hated it. It was a pain in the butt to use and after paying quite a bit of money for it, stopped using it. I tow with a regular hitch and have no problems. I do have a breaking unit attached to my truck.

I'm towing with a 2003 Toyota Tundra V-8 4X4 and it all works great.
                        Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Comment

Originally posted by KingstonHill View Post
                          Hey guys,
                          Thanks for all your adice, My new truck is 2009 and supposedly has up to 11,000 lb towing capacity, it came with the towing package in it, including the brake thing, not sure what you call it...do you think I will need something else? Also, I will be hauling two 14.2 hand ponies, usually only one though. Do you guys think the straight load or slants are better? I have a slant now and HATE the first stall, its TINY...but I have heard they are safer, if you have to slam on your brakes...I am going into town tomorrow to look at some trailer and will see what I find..Thanks for all your help!
                          I have heard it both ways, some say slants can make a horse sore on the front shoulder if you haul long in them, others say it doesn't make a difference.

If you are getting a two horse, I would guess straight makes more sense.
                          I would still want the choice of stock trailer, where you can haul one without a partition.
                          You have to get to three horses for slant to make a difference in space used and slants do use less space the more horses you add, so you can have a shorter trailer, or get more horses in a given space.

We used to pull our 16' stocktrailer, before we had goosenecks, for many years with our 150Fs, without any problems.
                          I still think goosenecks are the safest to pull down the highway, even the short trailers, because the trailer weight is better handled in front of the back axle, than being pulled from the back of a vehicle.

Of course, for that you need a pickup.

Comment

I asked a trailer dealer the same question about slant load vs straight load. His answer was that the driver was the most important safety feature and was the determining factor in horses being comfortable.

Comment

I would strongly recommend you put a weight distribution hitch on a half ton. It will help prolong the life of your vehicles suspension, etc.

You will be fine pulling a 2H BP with that truck. If you load it up with two horses and haul frequently, you will probably see a shortened life out of your tranny, etc, but just give it the best maintenance, follow the book, and you should be ok for a while.

I actually prefer steel to aluminum -- in order for aluminum to be as strong as steel, you have to use more of it, so the weight difference in a well-made trailer is very small. Out of the choices you have listed, I would go for the 4 star, condition being equal between the three. But of course, there are personal preferences that play into it too. If you can, tow the ones you are looking at. You want it to "disappear" behind the truck -- i.e. right straight, smooth, and true with good balance and enough weight on the ball that it doesn't bounce or tip over bumps.

Other than that, just stay within your limits. I also prefer a stock side (airflow!) step up trailer (horses seem to like this too) which also gives you a lighter trailer and less wear on your truck. Lots to think about, but as long as it is a well constructed trailer, your horses will be fine with whatever you chose.
                              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Let's make this easy

Within reason.

Keep the truck you just bought. I don't think a modest (and aluminum) bumperpull plus small horses will over-tax your 1/2 ton.

4-Star. Clearly.

Sundowner. Definitely not.

Lakota. I don't know.

4-Stars are well-designed, well-built aluminum trailers. A COTH search will tell you that Sundowners have some serious manufacturing defects that the company has been less than eager to acknowledge and rectify. The ones I have seen have met personally have not held up particularly well.

If it's money you're after (rather than ease and speed of trade), you'd do better than taking what your dealer has to offer, and buying and selling on your own.

But spend some time on-line looking around for "comps" for both your gooseneck and the bumperpull offered to make sure your dealer is coming close to a fair deal.

Whether you keep it or change your mind again, I think the 4-Star will hold its value the longest. As you'll discover, buying used but babied trailers and keeping for their natural born life is the most economical option.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I believe the same COTH search coupled with additional research will tell you that SOME Sundowners, I believe the Value Lite models, have been reported as having some problems.

We have many Sundowners out here in CA and don't seem to have the problems reported back east. I have the 777 model and love it. Granted I've only had it 4 years and I do take care of it. I also took care of my Logan steel 2 horse slant that had the roof completely rusted through (ala sunroof) in less than 10 years. Fortunately, I had a "lifetime" warranty on paint so Logan did replace the roof and repaint the trailer for "free" but I had to haul it from LA to Logan, UT which is less than 20 miles from Idaho.

Comment

Re: The Lakota. I have two words: RUN AWAY.

Before we bought our trailer, Mr. C'Mare and I did our research. We had the opportunity to climb up, down, around and through several trailers at an equine trade show in 2008. The Lakota, while lovely to view, was a glorified tin can on wheels. The welds were CRAP...heck, I could have done better welding! The butt and chest bars were very poorly padded and we noticed sharp edges everywhere.

We eventually bought an EquiBreeze stock combo from the folks at EquiSpirit.
                                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I think that with a stock combo you can get and pull more trailer for your money and vehicle.

The more you enclose a trailer, the more it costs and heavier to pull it generally becomes.

We pull our 16' GN stocktrailer with our 150F 4x4 fine, but if that was a fully enclosed horse trailer with partitions it would be heavier and max out our pulling power and safety stopping.

We have pulled long distances a friend's three full horse slant GN trailer and it did ok, but it was our limit.

On an old standard two horse bumper pull, I don't think you need to worry, it should handle that fine.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips guys, I will definitely get the weight distribution hitch, I am actually going to shadow today to look at more trailers, I went and looked at the 4 star and it was nice but the guy working with us was just down right rude to us. I hope shadow has something for us Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                                        X