• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

cost of building a covered round pen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of building a covered round pen?

Can anyone give me an approximate cost of having a covered round pen built? I know it depends on location, materials, design, whether the ground needs to be leveled and prepared, etc. I'm looking for ball park figures. If anyone could share what they paid to put up a covered round pen and what that included, I'd be grateful.

I'm also curious if people did any or all of the work themselves.

As you said, there's quite a few factors involved. I haven't put one up yet, but I'm researching options. One I found on FarmTek is $22,665, though I would think I could find something similar cheaper. Of course that doesn't include the footing or anything. I'm assuming you're wanting to start from scratch, right? How big are you wanting to go? 40, 50, 60 feet? What part of the country are you in? (How much prep work is going to need to go into putting in a good footing... can you just lay M10 on top of hard red clay that's just beneath the topsoil, or are you going to need to put some larger crushed stone down first?)

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...9_106659W.html
    David A. Staples
    Pony Tail Acres | Find Us On Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I thought I put it in the OP, but apparently I was dreaming that. Ideally, I'm looking for a 60' round pen.

It will be for a farm in the southeast, but exact area is not yet decided. I am trying to get ballpark figures on various improvements we may need to make so we can better budget when we start looking at farms in the next 12 - 14 months.

I know it's nearly impossible to answer such a general question, so any experiences people have would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'm guessing that building one is a helluva lot cheaper than buying one.
        I checked out those Merry Go Round Pens...a cute company name that's very apt since they do look like a carousel when finished.
        Got a quote from them...prices start at $35k for a 60'...site work and footing not included!
        I'm no contractor, but how expensive can it be to put up 4' kick walls in a circle, extend posts higher and add a roof? I know wood isn't cheap, but there's isn't close to $35k of wood in a 60' round pen. Not even if the wood was teak.
        You jump in the saddle,
        Hold onto the bridle!
        Jump in the line!
        ...Belefonte

Comment

My thoughts exactly Misty. That's probably the route we'll end up going is building our own. It really just depends on how creative we want to get. My wife left her engineering job to start the farm, so I'll leave the design totally up to her if we do build it ourselves. But my preliminary thoughts have even tossed around the idea of using bamboo poles for the trusses, as my dad has a big growth of bamboo that we can cut from any time we want.

As for covering the bamboo or wood or whatever we build the trusses out of, being in the Atlanta area of Georgia we don't have really all that much snow to deal with... a couple inches a year at most. The main things we have to worry about are wind (depending on location), falling pine trees and hail. I've seen golf ball size hail plenty of times from spring through fall. I certainly don't want a big piece ripping through a fabric roof and hitting a horse or person on the head. Same goes with any thin metals or fiberglass based roofs like ondura. Whatever the roofing material is, it has to stand up to hail.
          David A. Staples

Comment

I'd think 1/2" plywood with asphalt roof shingles would hold up fine to most hail. (again, I'm not contractor though) I'd think with fabric roof and enclosed sides it might get pretty hot in there in your climate? Maybe not with above the kick walls open though. And maybe it situated under trees...it's a lot smaller than a full sized indoor.
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
              I'm guessing that building one is a helluva lot cheaper than buying one.
              I checked out those Merry Go Round Pens...a cute company name that's very apt since they do look like a carousel when finished.
              Got a quote from them...prices start at $35k for a 60'...site work and footing not included!
              I'm no contractor, but how expensive can it be to put up 4' kick walls in a circle, extend posts higher and add a roof? I know wood isn't cheap, but there's isn't close to $35k of wood in a 60' round pen. Not even if the wood was teak.
              I was thinking the exact same thing.

Even if we didn't do it ourselves (which is still a possibility), I do think we could probably pay a carpenter a lot less than $35k to build one... DH is more than capable of designing one.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                it's a lot smaller than a full sized indoor.
                I'm looking at it as just a place for longeing that is completely separate from the indoor and outdoor arenas. I want to avoid longeing in the riding arenas.

Comment

There are ways to figure out exactly how much wood/supplies are necessary to complete the structure...I think there's a few online sites that help with that. Then you can price that out and see what the material cost is. Then figure out if the budget works with hiring full time builders, a subcontractor or two or doing it yourself.
                  If you can do some or all of it yourself that has to be a big savings. I know my hubby and I aren't handy at all with stuff like that...I wouldn't feel safe inside any building that I built, LOL! But if we *were* handy at building...well, we could save a buttload of money!
                  It has to be more convenient to have a separate covered lungeing place.
                  I had seen that the commercial builders for these had 80' round pens and I was thinking that might be a decent size for some light winter/icy weather riding. But after seeing the cost of the 60' basic model...I figured I could stick with grippy shoes on the horses, extra layers on me and just not riding during downpours or sleet.
                  Maybe it would be easier to design, build and put a roof on a 60x60square building and just add interior kickboards to the corners to make the interior open area round? And if enclosed...those closed off corners might make decent small extra storage spots for stuff? One can never have too much storage.
                  You jump in the saddle,
                  Hold onto the bridle!
                  Jump in the line!
                  ...Belefonte

Comment

Yep, the plywood and asphalt shingles is what most people use on their houses around here. But being that we're trying to be as eco friendly about it as possible, I'm not sure that's the route we want to go. There's a lot of chemicals and petroleum products in asphalt shingles. If we end up going the shingle route, it'll probably be cedar shake shingles or something along those lines... something that's renewable and can be sustainably harvested. :-)
                    David A. Staples

Comment

• Original Poster

MistyBlue -- great thought on seeing if a square structure would be easier / cheaper to have built than a round one. It doesn't need to be fully enclosed, and I think I'd prefer some daylight between the kickboards and the roof. I did want a roof to make it somewhat all-weather, though.

I'm not sure we'd do the roof building part ourselves, though DH is more than qualified to design it. I'm certain we could do the kick boards, though.

FWIW, I absolutely love this one: http://www.lorandstables.com/roundpen.jpg

Comment

Another approach to consider. A 60x60 pole barn - roof only if you are in the right place and put up your half walls and round the corners with boards or gate panels. Square is always cheaper to build than round!! We added a 24x72 loafing shed to our broodmare motel for around $5,000!! Look in a farm magazine for builder "specials". We get one monthly.
                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Please consider what is holding up a round covered Pen

I am a builder and I agree with Crosscreek that you would want to look at a square building rather than a round one if you are looking to save money. Most buildings will be fairly strong if you can build a triangle: 2 rafters and a collar tie..it gets harder when you try to frame that in a circle. Look closely at the roof framing of those round pens like the Merry Go Round...some engineering was needed and used there or you will have something that will fall down when the snow load or wind load hits. Also bear in mind that you all will of course want 60 feet of clear span(or you wouldn't be doing too much longeing in amongst the forest of support posts) so that adds to your truss costs. And only if I take the labor out of my 24X46 barn with a metal roof would I get down to $5000 cost...

Comment

Oh I like that covered pen Phaxxton. With something like that you can maybe add some tarp or canvas rolls as "shades" in case you have windy and rainy days...keep the water from blowing in on your footing when rolled down.
                            I like the observation deck on it. Love a metal roof, but that looks difficult and expensive to try doing.
                            Here's the type I had priced out a few years back:
                            http://www.merrygoroundpens.com/
                            Haven't looked at the site in ages, and have to say that boy howdy did they go way up in price! Now their standard 62' covered round pen starts at $78,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            IMO that's absolutely insane! Their roof is more steep...but still a ridiculous price.
                            You jump in the saddle,
                            Hold onto the bridle!
                            Jump in the line!
                            ...Belefonte

Comment

My husband REALLY wants a cover for our round pen, and just got a price on materials for a 50' one* -- approximately $9k. I didn't think that was too bad. We'll probably do that over the summer.

*That's roofing, trusses and supports -- not sides. We would use panels and keep the sides open.
                              Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                              Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I know someone who did this, I believe it cost them between 15 and 20k doing a lot of work themselves. The major cost was having to span that distance.
                                We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                                www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Working...
                                X