• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pictures of your homemade Round Bale Covers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of your homemade Round Bale Covers

Has anyone made a roof or round bale ring? I'd be interested to hear how you did it and if you have pictures. Seriously considering whipping something up and wonder what others do!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Hey Maria! I tried to cover mine one time. First and last time I ever fed round bales- haha! I actually bought tarps. Put round bales up on pallets in field. Tarped over the top and used bungee cords to hold the tarp on. It covered the top third of the bale.

Problem was.. when they'd eat the bale down- had to go out and remove the tarp right away so bungees didn't get loose and in legs- or keep tightening bungee daily. My guys ate through a bale/week (3h per field). In hindsight not the best way- but it did get me through a half-of-a-winter.

Now I feed large squares and just throw hay every morning. Would love to see/hear other ideas so I can try again.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah I'm thinking of building something, wondered what people use. A friend has a low four sided shelter with a roof. I just think I'd save more money. Problem is I put two out at a time for my broodmares, so I'd really need to build two of them, though thinking money burned building in the end would save me! But I don't want something they can destroy and boy are they good at that, or something they can get caught up in. So wondering what others do when you don't want to spend 600.00 buying a round bale feeder.
      www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

I thought I would go that way too- build my own. But soon found out that to build something light enough for me to move around, but sturdy enough to hold up to the monsters, well.... lets just say it was challenging. Tractor Supply actually has a feeder for 139.99 that works well for me.
        "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
        So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

I am pondering the hockey net idea to slow their inhalation. I swear my big mare just sucks hay in, no chewing. But a real cover? They demo a round bale in 7-9 days so I don't need one. No time to rot. Sorry, I'm no help other than to say if you have 4+ horses, you don't (IMO) need a cover

Comment

i have a row of parrellel t posts and cattle panels bowed over the top and tarps held on with plastic ties, its cheap, you hve to fix it sometimes, you can pull up the t posts and move it
            i think if i had destructive horses this wouldn't work as well

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by katarine View Post
              I am pondering the hockey net idea to slow their inhalation. I swear my big mare just sucks hay in, no chewing. But a real cover? They demo a round bale in 7-9 days so I don't need one. No time to rot. Sorry, I'm no help other than to say if you have 4+ horses, you don't (IMO) need a cover
              Still have the problem of mud and them laying and pooping in it. Quite a bit of waste still. My friend built one with a bottom and sides and a roof. She didn't need to move it around so that wasn't a problem. I'm not worried about them eating too much, I want them to eat, but I don't want it all pooped on and spread about.
              www.frostyoaks.com

Comment

hmmm. Are you using a feeder, or just putting it out there without a feeder? My four don't waste much with it in a feeder. And I set it on a big old pallet inside that feeder. YMMV

I want one of these- but it would be a witch to load from a hay spear- you'd need to be able to roll it into the holder. Not happenin' here LOL

http://www.oneillbalefeeders.com/

Comment

I built mine out of 4x4's and decking boards. It is permanent but I have not had a problem keeping it cleaned out. I set the two posts on the fence line and then two at 6' from those to make it square. Added decking boards on three sides up to the appropriate height (mini's on one side of fence and 16.2 hand gelding on the other). On the last side I built a gate that is removable to place the bale in the feeder. I used 4x4's that are tall enough that I can add a roof when I want to but for now I can just throw a tarp over the 4x4's and tie is down to the corners and they can still reach in to get to the hay as the tarp does not even touch the bale leaving about 2 1/2 feet of space between tarp and top board. I also put a pallet in the bottom to keep the bale off the ground.

Comment

They're not home built, but why not just get a big bale buddy? One person can put it on - just spear the bale, put on the bale buddy, plop it in the field and tip it upright with the bucket. They're relatively cheap and very safe. It doesn't solve the shelter issue, but I stick mine in my sheds.
                    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Comment

Katherine, loved the alternate product on that web site (the plastic round bale feeder) called "Better than nothing Plastic Feeder". Now that's funny (and honest?)

Comment

I have this feeder and it is awesome! We call it our hay house!

http://www.duplessishorsefeeder.com/

Comment

a friend of mine has the better than nothing feeder and it works quite well. We are looking at solutions as well because filling hay bags is getting OLD quickly.
                          If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

This is what was made for our bales. I still need to get a decent bar system on it. They tend to drag it over the edges and spread it around. But other than that, it stays dry and gives them some wind/rain protection too. The horses love it.

Comment

I have been considering using round bales for a while, so this has been a great help. With hay at $10 a bale around here, I would love a round bale for the winter pasture.

Comment

One thing I did read in another thread that bears investigating was whether or not horses on round bales need botulism vaccines. Anyone here do that to their horses? What part of the country are you in?

Comment

I hope everyone is very careful about those round bale rings.....A dear friend of mine lost her mare to one!! She was probably leaning over it and must have pawed wanting to get the hay that had gotten lower (almost gone at that point).....flipped it over on herself, paniced, sliced herself to shreds and bled to death. Sorry to be so graphic, but everyone needs to know this can happen.
                                  www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Comment

Originally posted by florida foxhunter View Post
                                    I hope everyone is very careful about those round bale rings.....A dear friend of mine lost her mare to one!! She was probably leaning over it and must have pawed wanting to get the hay that had gotten lower (almost gone at that point).....flipped it over on herself, paniced, sliced herself to shreds and bled to death. Sorry to be so graphic, but everyone needs to know this can happen.
                                    Oh my gosh. How horrible. Those things are so heavy, I can't even imagine my horse flipping it over. Scary.

Comment

My vet tells me horses get bored and look for ways to kill themselves....I tend to agree. It honestly depends on the horses in the pasture....in 3 pastures I have round bale feeders in...and one I just suck it up and let them waste is because they aren't really smart and I am afraid they will jump in it or ?????. I do make sure I don't let them get to empty...or the horses will push on them, and move them around.

Originally posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
                                      Oh my gosh. How horrible. Those things are so heavy, I can't even imagine my horse flipping it over. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Counselor View Post
                                        One thing I did read in another thread that bears investigating was whether or not horses on round bales need botulism vaccines. Anyone here do that to their horses? What part of the country are you in?
                                        yep here in maryland it is highly recommended to vaccinate for botulism you never know whats inside those round bales!! the shot is only $20

Comment

Working...
                                        X