• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to deal with MUD!!!! UGGGGGGGGH.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with MUD!!!! UGGGGGGGGH.

How do you deal with the mud?!
    If you use stone dust, do you just shovel some onto the mud spot and let the hooves churn it in or does it take some special application to be effective?
    Im looking for an easy way to deal with mud.

LOL, I live in KY now but am originally from AZ...where we dont have this problem too often

Oh and it doesnt have to be only stone dust...I would love to hear about whatever works...pea gravel...wood chips?
    Cheers
    Leslie

How do I deal with mud?

A good single malt Scotch, a box of Belgian chocolates, my seed catalogs, and I hunker down and wait for spring.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Get gravel put down in the fall. Go around your community and see what sort of gravel/footing people have to maintain mud-free and what you like about it.

I'm house sitting and here it is gravel and fines. It seems to compact well but more prone to a sort of rock/sand mud, its hard to describe. I've seen other places that have just gravel, no fines. It doesn't compact but is for sure cleaner.

I live in the NW. Yesterday I was just thinking of how many different ways I can describe mud, sort of like having 15 different words for snow.

Comment

anyone use those geotextile rubber mat thingies with the drain holes? I have a couple spots in a paddock outside my little barn where the drainage is overwhelmed by hoof tear-up. Wondering if scraping back the top of the screenings and burying those mats below the new screenings would keep the horses above the gack...
        ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

Also consider where the water is going. High spots won't pool water. The area right under your non-guttered roof is going to get a lot of water, thus mud.
          If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

as was said, think about where the water is coming from and see what can be done about that... gutters on barns go a long way to helping.

I have tried a lot of substrates in my attempts to put bandaids on my mud woes. I have learned to steer clear of anything that can break down, like mulch or hogsfuel, etc. It is awesome when its fresh, but unless you remove the mud, and at least partially solve the water pooling issue to begin with, it will eventually break back down and become muck again.

I love gravel but unless you remove the mud and put down some sort of barrier, mine eventually sinks and disappears.

Sand has become my friend. The large grit yellow stuff used for mixing into concrete, its reasonably cheap and easy to find. Its easy to shovel and wheelbarrow around, I moved 3 tons in less than 5 hours by myself with shovel and wheelbarrow. I did not bother to remove the existing muck, I just shoveled sand on top of it. It was glorious for about a month then it got churned into the mud. But now I have sandy mud which drains faster and is far more livable than mucky sticky slippery mud.

My horses recently destroyed an area on the otherside of my barn which is sticky, slippery, boot-sucking ankle deep slop. I have to go through it at least a half dozen times every morning, and I nearly throw out my back each time by slipping and being stuck in the same moment. When I slog back to the otherside of the barn I'm so thankful for my sandy mud its sloppy, but easy to walk in, and it doesn't try to rip your boots off with every step.

My plan, since I have to deal with a low lying area and have no ability to control the water runoff, is to shovel in another 3-5 tons of sand, then cover that with a layer of stone dust which *should* compact down and be a bit concrete like. I *plan* to crown the top so the water should run away, but we'll see how much I feel like crowning after doing that much shoveling.

Oh and I want to try cattle carpet, I'm interested in finding out the cost for it.
            Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Remind myself that in August I will miss the rain.
              One of the many names for mud, Primal Ooze. Then there is the not frozen enough to walk on, but too frozen to be real mud, also good for throwing backs out.

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                How do I deal with mud?

A good single malt Scotch, a box of Belgian chocolates, my seed catalogs, and I hunker down and wait for spring.
                ha ha ha, I like your method! Which variety of single malt is required? On the Belgians, I vote for Leonidas!
                Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

We did a lot of work this year. Last year was our first winter here and we discovered all the problem areas... Part of my winter pasture had a foot of water in it which of course was churned into muck.....

So we found the old drains, cleaned them out, added new ones where there were none.... And diverted water flow away from the area.... Helped some, at least the barn was no longer underwater...but still mucky in back of the barn in the high traffic area.

So phase two was this fall. Raised the barn floor with 5/8 minus and matted the whole thing (keeps it dry inside). Put down geotextile carpet in a 60 by 60 square outside the barn including the high traffic pathway. Covered that in 15 tons of 5/8 minus..... Now there are a few wet spots where we didn't get it quite evenly spread (and it's still soft so hoofs do sink and make some small puddles), but it is mostly dry! woo hoo!, and no mud, woo hoo!

I'll dump some more next summer when things are hard and dry and this layer has compacted down better...

But I'm really happy with the geotextile fabric plus gravel method!

Comment

foggybok: If you don't mind my asking, about how much $$$ did it take to do the 60x60?

With the geotextile, did you do like it recommends and remove the dirt down to the base and then add back with stone etc?

I have an area I'd like to improve for the mud, but unfortunately will not be able to remove the topsoil. It was suggested that once dry (if it ever does) to instead, tamp down as tight as possible, install the geotextile and top with stone/fines. Not a perfect solution but better than knee deep mud?
                    A poorly fitted saddle hampers both horse and rider.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Talley-Ho-Saddle-Services

Comment

If you just add more layers on top, you may well get the stone dust or whatever you choose washed/tracked away, then the exposed fabric is shredded/destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                        How do I deal with mud?

I like your thinking....

Also, pray for a hard freeze to firm everything up!

Seriously though, see where your water is coming from, where IT wants to go and where you can send it instead will help your problem a lot.

I have gutters and draintile and layers of gravel under the run in and beyond. Started with large stone for a base and have stone dust on top. Don't have any mud til you get further out from the barn and I am going to remedy that problem in the spring with a diversion ditch.

Comment

remember where your muckholes are.

In the summer, get a guy in with a machine to pull back the mud, dig a drain channel, line it with drainrock and bury a drain pipe to lead the water away. Then cover it back up, prefereably with something that drains better than mud, which you can package and sell as garden topsoil if you wish, after a season of churning manure into it.

I also use my old stall mats- the ones that horses have pawed through, to lay on top of trouble spots until I can fix them as above in the next dry season.

My paddocks were laid with drainrock and roadbase, now almost 15 years ago and the mud has not been a problem. Better to do it right. My pastures, which were outright swamps, have had the drainage installed over the years and no longer swallow 4WD trucks whole in the winter.
                          "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

folks- contact your county/area soil conservation officer. They are experts in things like this since heavy use (mud) areas cause manure and soil run off. They can also potentially help you find any grants to help cover some costs.
                            Appy Trails,
                            Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
                            member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

When you figure it out....tell me It's been raining here in the DFW area for more or less the last 4 months. The barn that I am renting is a big mudhole. It is the most depressing situation that I have ever dealt with in the 20 years that I have been keeping horses.

I have put down mats in the barn which has solved the barn aisle flooding problem but haven't figured out how to solve the mud around the barn problem. I have a feeling the way to solve the problem is to move my horses I would sell an organ for access to an indoor ring right now

Comment

Originally posted by mtngirl View Post
                                foggybok: If you don't mind my asking, about how much $$$ did it take to do the 60x60?

With the geotextile, did you do like it recommends and remove the dirt down to the base and then add back with stone etc?

I have an area I'd like to improve for the mud, but unfortunately will not be able to remove the topsoil. It was suggested that once dry (if it ever does) to instead, tamp down as tight as possible, install the geotextile and top with stone/fines. Not a perfect solution but better than knee deep mud?
                                I realized it's not 60x60, but 50 X 50... but here are the numbers for that...

It's really going to vary with the area, but it wasn't too bad here. We get the crushed rock at $13/yard so I think the total was close to $250 for the gravel. We saved some using a friends truck to bring it in. Otherwise we would have had to pay 100/hour for the truck too. The truck holds 11 yards, so we would have needed 2 trucks and we're 1/2 hour from the gravel place, so that would have added 200.00 to the bill. We got some other gravel delevered for the driveway and they charged 21/yard. Places will charge by yard or by ton, but since it's so wet right now, they were doing by yard...otherwise you pay for lots of water....

The fabric goes for $2/foot (it comes in 12 foot wide sheets), but we got the conservation discount so it was only $1.20/foot and the total was somewhere around $250.

So probably 500.00 to get it done here. Well worth it!

We did not remove topsoil this time, however the area had previously be scraped and graded in anticipation of this work.... I made it bigger than originally planned so part of it was not prepped....We'll see how it holds up....

JSwan...still waiting on the single malt selection... my vote is McCallans...

Comment

• Original Poster

great ideas folks.
                                  I have such an access problem to my barn...no big trucks or trailer can get within 100 feet of it, sigh. So I would have to deliver the rock by pickup truck load LOL. I guess I will go the JSwan method until next summer...

I have a friend that uses the equiteer(sp?) out in her runs...she loves it. Has no mud whatso ever!!! She also put it in her stalls but hates it there. She said the equiteer in the stalls got plugged and her and her hubby had to literally drill them open . I cant remember why she said they plugged up in the stalls and not outside.

I dream of a spotlless barn....

Comment

With lots of cursing.

Comment

My first Winter behind my existing barn was a giant muddy mess. The following Spring I had a french drain put in and covered the entire area with river rock which is prevelant here and cheap, also barn gutters. Never had mud again. Then I put a run in shelter in the front pasture. I had it graded for drainage, lots of river rock in and around the run in but it is a giant mud mess right now. What I think has happened is the river rock has washed away due to the slope for drainage. In the Spring I'll be putting in a french drain and more river rock. Inside the run in is pretty dry and I have mats. It has been raining so much here the water cannot drain away before the next round of rain. I HATE MUD!!!!!

Comment

Gravel. Lots and lots of gravel. But you need to put it down in the late summer when the ground is dry. If there is already mud the gravel will sink in.

I live in the PNW, in an area that has about 36" of clay as top soil. We get serious mud. The first year I lived on my farm it was 2' deep at the gate.

I put down 4" of 1 1/4" clear, spread it and drove a roller over it (fun!), then put down 4" of 5/8" minus on top of that. Did this in the sacrifice paddock 4 years ago and all I've had to do since is add a pickup load once a year in the places where my horse digs herself a wallow.

First I mowed the paddock very close, then used the box scraper to take out the grass roots, then put in the gravel. I did this in late August when the ground was the driest. Including $300 to rent the roller it cost about $1400 to do a 40' X 80' paddock.

Comment

Working...
                                        X