• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stray/found.dumped dog- what is your policy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray/found.dumped dog- what is your policy?

Ah, the joys of living in the country.

We found one running down the middle of the road, tail tucked between his legs, petrified and shaking. He was just about to get into a major intersection, and life would not be existant if he entered the middle of that one.

I lured him to me, with my other dog. Why do I always keep lead ropes in the truck? To snare loose dogs, I guess.

At least this one is fed.... too well fed. Choke chain, shock collar, no tags. Obnioxious, badly mannered, doesn't walk well on a leash, counter surfers... No one has reported him missing. What a suprise. I have a vet visit anyway tomorrow am, so we'll see if he's chipped, or if they have ever seen this dog before...

Thankfully we have a pen that goes in/out of the barn, we keep bedded with straw, which is very secure. I tried to bring him inside for the night, but he wouldn't settle down, and was eyeing up the cats. He's got food and water and it's not very cold out.

My neighbors says he's dumped. No one around here has ever seen this dog.
    If he is a dump, he hasn't been the first. They showed up only weeks after we moved here.

What's your protocal for stray/dumped dogs?

The only thing that doesn't say "dump" to me is the shock collar. Those things aren't cheap. I've also known several dogs that have blown through an underground fence and gone wandering. Is it a bark collar or a fence collar?

Regardless, it would probably end up at the shelter if I found it.

Comment

Depends what sort of dog it is.

But it would start by trying to find it's owner and putting word round and including adverts.

Assessing it's temperament and getting it to good health if it needed that.

If it's vicious then I'd have it put down. Sociable and friendly then it's in with a good chance......

It would be keep or keep till I can rehome depending on what it's like.

How it would be kept would depend on what it was like. But at least shut into an empty stable or barn or else in the house.

Sounds to me though that this one isn't a dumped dog. Fat AND with a shock collar on indicates an owner somewhere that recognises it's a dog that can run off.

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
        Is it a bark collar or a fence collar?
        Yeah...one of my Corgis will blow right through the invisible fence in my yard if he thinks the neighbor has put cat food out on the porch. Totally worthless if you have a smart dog, in my opinion. He's figured out that about 1 second of shock is okay if you get a cat food reward.

Doesn't Pet Finders have a "lost and found" section? Notify your local Humane Society/SPCA, vets, PetSmart, etc.

Good for you in saving him...

Comment

yeah, he might not have been found missing at home yet.

But not walking on leash and counter surfing 9bad manners) they might not report him missing, shock collar be damned.

BTW, somebody mentioned on a previous thread that you might be able to get a serial number off the shock collar and maybe find the owner that way.

I suppose it depends on the dog where he would go. Frankly atm I don't want a dog. I have been offered one, ran into adoption day at petsmart with a couple very cute candidates, but I made it home without dog.

big dog, eyeballing cats....not very like he'd stay....
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Sounds like that dog escaped.....have you read the thread about the missing dog on coth? Not the same type, but something similar as people have suggested on that thread could have happened here: stolen, escaped from car at gas station, etc.

I do one of the following depending on the dog, it's compatibility with my dogs and with me, etc:

Keep the dog. (some of my best dogs have been scraped off the road and one was found as a puppy at a murder scene--he wasn't a suspect or a witness.)

Find the dog at home. Vets help with trying to find homes.

Ask the totally crazy people (and I mean crazy as nice wonderful people) who foster dozens of dogs and cats, to squeeze in one more with a donation. Those women and men are amazing to keep so many dogs and cats at home till they find homes for them.

Euth the dog. The pounds and humane societies are overwhelmed with adult dogs. Puppies may find a home, but adults even the purebreds, don't stand a chance. Better that I pay to euth with the needle than the pound back a truck up to the building.

Comment

Originally posted by FatPalomino View Post

My policy/procedure is to secure the dog.

File "found dog" report with local shelters (multiple jurisdictions as dogs can travel a long way in a short period of time) (if dog doesn't have id tag/rabies tag)

Have dog scanned for chip, track any serial numbers that might be on collar....

Keep dog in stall with straw unless dog appears very friendly, ok with cats. If he seems ok - bring him inside.

Wait.

If no owner is found, I either keep the dog if it's ok with livestock - or foster it until a spot opens up with the dog rescue I work with.

I'd only take it to the shelter if the dog showed signs of being aggressive.

So far, so good. Only had one dog that I had to turn over to my dog rescue. The rest either found homes, were reunited with their owners or are snoring on my bed.

Whatever choice you make is just fine - the important thing is that you were kind enough to stop and help. No coal in your stocking for you!
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Oddly, I have never had a "dumped" dog. I know people in the country complain about this all the time, but I guess I'm so far off the beaten track that even dog-dumpers can't find me.

I have lots of hounds passing through, though.

If the hound will let me, I read his collar and call his owner to come get him. Sometimes this is a circuitous process - the last beagle to show up had been through three owners since the one whose name and number appeared on her collar. Trixie Beagle stayed in our outdoor pen for about three days until her current owner showed up to collect her. Not his fault, really - he'd been at a horse show that weekend, and Trixie had escaped from a fox pen the day before they had to leave.

If the hound is too shy to let me close, I put out a pat of hay for a bed and some kibble and water. Usually once the sun comes up the next day that sort of hound leaves to find his own way home.

Our local roadhouse has a pen out back where people drop off "found hounds" but I always hate to do that. I guess if I ever have one show up without a collar who can't find his/her own way home, I'll go post a picture of the hound on the gate to the pen with my contact info.
                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                  My policy/procedure is to secure the dog.
                  I do pretty much what JSwan does - except we crate the foundling since we have no stalls to keep him/her in. We've picked up a few dogs running the streets and either found the owners (yay!) or found them new homes.... I sent one to a rescue.

If the dog is aggressive when we try to catch him, we don't try hard but will call animal control. I don't have the dog experience to safely deal with an aggressive dog. Of course, now we live where there IS no animal control, so we'll see what we do if we find an aggressive dog!
                  Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

If they are friendly, I will catch and contain them, and call animal control to come and get them. If they are not friendly (showing any fear aggression), I just call AC if the dog will not "shoo" on it's own.

If the dog does happen to have any contact information (tag or embroidered collar), I call the owner and contain the dog until they can come and get it.
                    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

It depends, where i live there are alot of loose dogs, most are hounds and really just passing through, most of them have collars, the ones without collars to me are dumped or purposely lost, folks around here who dump their dogs have enough sense to take the collar off, the ones with a collar i figure escaped or got lost.
                      I have 2 pens for the strays, most of them have some sort of ID, if they don't I call a/c and have them pick the dog up, if I like the dog, i tell a/c to call me before euthing and i'll adopt the dog. Sometimes a/c will say oh that dogs been running loose for weeks or that dog is the one we keep picking up and belongs to so and so.
                      I have learned that even if a dog has a collar, if it's in bad shape to not deal with the owner but turn it over to a/c, we got a big abuser here that way, if you keep returning badly cared for dogs to the owner a/c never knows. we had this one guy who took terrible care of his dogs, after returning one to him and just feeling sick about it, my husband and i changed our policy, we let a/c deal with the nitwit now.

Comment

We've had two dumped on us in the last eight months. Ended up keeping both. One is a beautiful yellow lab, the other some kind of hound mix. Both were very sweet. The hound just refused to leave (we now have 4 dogs). Our local shelter only will keep them for 5 days. I asked if I dropped him (the hound) off, if they would call me if he wasn't claimed before they euthanized him so I could pick him up and I was told "they don't have time for that". This is a shelter with 30 pens and only 5 occupied! So, we kept him. If (actually, when) another comes around, I will take it to a shelter in another county that is not a kill shelter.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, the dog I found is looking more and more like a dumped dog.

His shock collar is a remote control shock, and the battery is still on. And he came with a choke chain. No tags. We checked for a chip this morning: nothing.

I filed reports with the humane society, local vets, and put an add on Craig's List. Nothing. I'll post some flyers today. I hate surrendering animals to the humane society, mainly, because I'm not a fan at all of our humane society. At all.

He was 110% petrified when we found him- but he's much more social now. He did howl all night. I name all stray found dog Spanky or Napolean Dynamite, and Spanky Dynamite is settling in well.

At the vet's, they said, he sure looks like he thinks he belongs with you. Great. Thankfully he is great with other dogs, just a bull on the leash. He knows leashes and car rides, which makes me think he's not a farm dog, or from around here. None of us routinely walk our dogs on leashes

At least he's altered and well fed. He has some age- maybe 6 or 7 years old. If someone dumped him- on Christmas week- I will ask everyone to forward the explosive diarrehea curse on them. I'm dog sitting a puppy, training another puppy, and already have 5 rescued dogs of my own.

Comment

It may be possible that he jumped out of a travelers car and ran off. Do any newspapers in your area run free lost and found ads?

Comment

An on shock remote trainer collar to me totally does NOT scream dropped dog. It screams dog that got loose and ran and is lost.

Be sure to report the found dog in the neighboring areas too. A scared loose dog can run quite a bit further than we think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                An on shock remote trainer collar to me totally does NOT scream dropped dog. It screams dog that got loose and ran and is lost.

Be sure to report the found dog in the neighboring areas too. A scared loose dog can run quite a bit further than we think they can.
                                Ditto that, our dogs got on on a foggy day - and I mean FOGGY, you could hardly see your hand in front of your face - and ended up over 3 miles from home. And that was in densly populated Germany.
                                Originally posted by BigMama1
                                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by FatPalomino View Post
                                  I will ask everyone to forward the explosive diarrehea curse on them.
                                  I will use my mother's favorite:

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits."

Comment

My farm is in rural SC - abandoned/stray dogs are all over the place. Over the years I have picked up/nursed back to health/found homes with friends/students more dogs then I can recall. Currently 14 of them live here at the farm/in the house with us.
                                    The last 2 strays I picked up were on their last legs - the little boy died in my arms, eventhough he was on IV, on a heating pad/warm food in his belly. Mindy, his sister is laying at my feet as I am writing this - round as a butterball turkey, spayed, UTD on her shots (thank goodness for a caring/understanding vet).

To this day, I can not drive by a dog without checking for collar/weight/overall body condition - it has become second nature.

If I find one with a collar/tag, I will immediately call that number/contact the vet on that tag. I also read every LOST DOG flyer I see, just in case and have been able to reunite at least 3 dogs/owners.
                                    Perfection is not attainable, but when we chase perfection, we can catch excellence - Vince Lombardi

www.thehomestedt.com

Comment

We only got to pick out one of the many dogs we had when I was growing up...all the rest were dumped.

In fact one of the dogs who ended up being the best pet was quite literally dumped--in a bag and tossed over the bridge into the creek where I was fishing.

Anyway...my protocol (living in town now) is:
                                      -secure dog
                                      -if tags call people (and be prepared for them to be RUDE. my goodness some of the people I have talked to! made me want to keep the dog for the dog's sake!)
                                      -if no tags, call local vets, shelter, etc. I really hate calling AC to pick up because the liklihood of exposure to disease is high. Thus far I haven't had to...have found the owners within a short period of time.

My dog has gotten "lost" twice. On BOTH occasions, he was wearing his collar WITH MY PHONE NUMBER ON IT and someone decided that they wanted to keep him so they didn't call.

On the first occasion, I quite literally had 20 people out looking for him. He was gone for 2 days. I "found" him because I saw a lady WALKING HIM. When I approached her about my dog, she honest to God asked if I wanted him because he was so great with her kids, so well behaved, etc...and they'd like to keep him. ????

The second time, I was out to dinner and he had gotten loose because the gate was unsecured. (not by me) He went to the neighbors across the street as he "knew" them. They didn't call. nothing. Waited til the next morning and brought him home. I was out until 3am that morning in the snow trying to find my dog.

So. All I can say is that accidents do happen and dogs do sometimes get loose but for Pete's Sake..if there's a collar w/ tags, please call the number!
                                      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Sounds like you may have dog number 6! All 6 of mine are strays or dogs that no one wanted. I also found a sheltie once with a remote collar on. She had blown threw the fence and had been missing for a week. The owners were very grateful that she was found safe and returned to them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X