• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn Amenities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Amenities

What are some cool amenities would you like to see in a high scale training facility? Or what are some amenities that you have seen at training facilities that you thought where cool?

I dream of the day I can have a covered walker so when the weather is really bad the horses can still get the exercise. Someday when I win the lottery...
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Comment

Gosh, all I really want now is a heated tack room and a heated wash stall to wash the mud covered horses more thoroughly.
      Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
      Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

covered walker/lunge/round pen... one separate from riding arenas. Along those same lines, a jumping chute would be fabulous. As would some kind of swimming pool. a well maintained gallop track, preferably with some kind of terrain. Obviously a climate controlled tack room, lounge and bathroom. Washer/dryer. Ability to pipe music into the arena as well as mic clinicians. Arena mirrors. Plenty of turnout. Plenty of trails with interesting things like creek crossings and hills. Of course gorgeous stalls.

Hey, you said "high end" thoughts/observations. Of course none of this matters if there isn't fantastic care.
        "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Number 1: adequate turnout space, and safe turnout areas, with good pasture. At least 12 hours of turnout a day-rain or shine.
          Roomy stalls, with good ventilation, and auto waterers. Stalls cleaned daily and adequately bedded. An overhead fan for summer cooling is good.
          Wide aisles, and adequate grooming and tack areas for number of horses. Dont need heated tack room, but adequate space for boarder tack/supplies. Wash stall with GOOD drainage, and hot/cold water.
          Lounge with heat/cooling, and bathroom. Doesn't have to be fancy.
          Indoor arena, with good, frequently groomed and watered footing. Good lighting. Mirrors on at least 2 walls. Indoor round pen separate from arena. Tall, sturdy mounting block (not 3 step plastic thingy). Outdoor arena, with good footing, and trails around property.
          Willingness to feed supplements that I provide. Quality hay-prefer alfalfa fed at least twice a day, when grass is eaten down.
          And most important: competent, knowledgable horse people running it.

Comment

Things I expect no matter what:
            ~intelligent horsey staff
            ~clean stall with safe walls, adequate ventilation, appropriate temperatures year round, and buckets scrubbed regularly
            ~Turn out with safe fencing and herd grouped according to who gets along with who
            ~At least 1 riding arena with safe footing
            ~ Willingness to meet my horse's nutritional needs (we do low starch)
            ~appropriate feed storage so there is limited contamination from varmits
            ~running water
            ~electricity
            ~put on one blanket when below a certain temp

Nice to haves (ones with * are ones i'd be willing to pay more for):
            ~arena lights
            ~hot water
            ~cross ties
            ~more than one arena*
            ~dressage arena*
            ~rolling hilled pastures for riding*
            ~trails
            ~jumps
            ~skilled instructors on sight*
            ~heated/cooled tack area
            ~indoor arena*
            ~trailering to shows*
            ~ blanket changing*
            ~gallop track
            ~ large round pen
            ~treadmill
            ~exercise pool
            ~really nice jumps*
            ~cross country course*
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I echo what others have said about the basics for excellent horse care, turnout, etc. What I've never had at any place I've boarded, but would love are:

*Prepared surface galloping lane around the property with rolling hills, etc.
              *Prepared surface flat galloping lanes with measured distances for pacing.
              *Safe cross-country course with jumps at intro levels and up including water.
              *Grooming stalls with lights inset into walls at hip height in addition to regular overhead lights.
              *Separate small barn or oversized stall at barn end for farrier/vet work only to keep barn aisles clear.
              *Covered trailer parking.
              *Individual indoor arenas. JK, but how NICE that would be!!!

Comment

What everyone else said, with the addition of heat lamps in the wash rack. I don't imagine they're terribly expensive, but they're sure nice to have around!
                Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                Like us on Facebook!

Comment

I don't think they woulod be if they were turned off after use, but if they got left on, yeow, then they would be.
                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Wow, I love the ideas - I would love the galloping lanes, rolling hills grassed around the perimeter of the propterty AND a regular track measured, too. Of course, a great big outside course, all kinds of jumps, throught the woods, and adjacent to a state forest with all kinds of trails and terraine for coniditoning and practice, including some good sized streams, bridges and ponds for swimming horses. Great jumps and go arounds through the woods, for hunter paces. Jumper outside ring. Hunter/eq ring. Several dressage courts. Inside dressage arena and inside jumping arena. Flat polo field.

- stalls 14 x 14, deeply bedded with shavings
                    - many grooming racks
                    -heated wash racks with heat lamps
                    - constant waterers (heated pipes)
                    - grassed turnout and enough separate turnouts for individual turnout when desired
                    Everything else everyone said.
                    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I'll add one I haven't already seen: shower/locker facilities for human beings. It'd be nice to do an early AM ride, clean up, and go straight to work. Or straight out to dinner in the evening without a stopover at home to clean up.
                      I'm not sure it's something that would be in much demand, though.

Comment

Originally posted by tle View Post
                        covered walker/lunge/round pen... one separate from riding arenas. Along those same lines, a jumping chute would be fabulous. As would some kind of swimming pool. a well maintained gallop track, preferably with some kind of terrain. Obviously a climate controlled tack room, lounge and bathroom. Washer/dryer. Ability to pipe music into the arena as well as mic clinicians. Arena mirrors. Plenty of turnout. Plenty of trails with interesting things like creek crossings and hills. Of course gorgeous stalls.

Hey, you said "high end" thoughts/observations. Of course none of this matters if there isn't fantastic care.
                        I boarded at a place with all of the above except the swimming pool & the gallop track.
                        When I left in 2000 board was $675/month.
                        It also had an in-house vacuum system in the washrack.
                        Plus washrack had those lovely overhead heatlamps.
                        You could safely bathe a horse when it was -10 outside.

BUT:
                        Like you said - care could have been better.
                        16 horses with 3 smallish (less than an acre each) paddocks for turnout - everyone got out for about 3 hours a day.
                        whoopee
                        A vaccination schedule that bordered on ridiculous - including a "bible" that my vet had to sign each time he came.
                        And a $20 charge for pasteworming my horses - which I was NOT allowed to do myself.

Aside from lack of turnout, care was otherwise adequate and not a single boarder - except for DH & me - used the 40ac of trails including a cross-country course with fences from BN to Training level, plenty of varied terrain & not one, but 2 creek crossings.

Owner was an Asshat with much more money than horse knowledge.
                        The place is now a handicapped riding center - "donated" when his tax exempt status ran out, and after all boarders had decamped.
                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibebe View Post
                          Or what are some amenities that you have seen at training facilities that you thought where cool?

A bar!

I lived overseas a while ago and used to ride at a local barn.

The lounge overlooking the indoor arena had a bar in it.

I never missed a lesson.
                          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Asphalt or gravel on walkways to barns and arenas and adequate parking haven't been mentioned.

Bathroom facilities - perhaps more than ONE at bigger facilities. I love the one block walk to the bathroom at my boarding facility. Well, at least they keep it clean and have enough TP in there!

TO is an issue where I live, but can't be helped. You learn to live with 2-3 hour TO in small pens.

I hate bad footing and it's enough to make me pass on a facility, all other things being equal.

Trunk storage at professional barns is a plus. Indiviual tack rooms for trainers is another.

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                              A bar!

I never missed a lesson.
                              I knew a barn about an hour from here that had a really nice lounge overlooking their large indoor (yes they had more than one - this one was large AND had stadium seating) that had a full kitchenette and bar. Had some fun there with clinics!
                              "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                A bar!

I never missed a lesson.
                                That may have been the riding school I grew up in.

I think the most important part of a barn catering to other than the owners is ... a bathroom.

Comment

Our new barn plans include a bathroom with a shower, and I cannot WAIT! It will make riding before work a pleasure.

I want a covered arena, though, because I'm tired of this rain.

We also have individual tack rooms planned, and that is NOT a luxury - I'll be happy to have my stuff to myself again.

Comment

Originally posted by katie+tru View Post
                                    Gosh, all I really want now is a heated tack room and a heated wash stall to wash the mud covered horses more thoroughly.
                                    AMEN oh and an indoor would be nice too!
                                    Kim
                                    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

A truly upscale facility? As in my dream upscale facility? Oh I could go on and on... I've spent way too much time thinking about this!

In addition to a professional, knowledgeable, and skilled staff...

Multiple rings, including a huge indoor arena, a large covered arena, a full-sized dressage ring, and 2 huge jumping rings. A grass jumping field and/or a cross-country course would also be nice. Superior footing and lighting in all rings, of course.

A covered round pen so people will not have to longe in the riding arenas.

Covered hot walker.

High ceilings with ceiling fans

Fire alarm systeam with sprinkler system in the barns

Heated indoor wash stalls for winter bathing

Heated / AC viewing lounge

Bathroom with showers

Laundry service

Extra wide aisles in the barn

Heated / AC tack rooms with oversized tack lockers and room for a tack trunk.

Entire facility MUST be fenced and cross-fenced.

4-board wood or PVC-over-wood fencing. Chutes between pastures to avoid fighting / halter tag over the fences.

Dutch doors outside every stall leading to a small run

Fly spray system in the barn

Fold-down grilles on the stalls -- this way horses can hang their heads out, but the grille can be put up when horses are in cross-ties.

Rubber matted stalls, bedded deeply.

Oversized stalls (14x14 +)

Drink machines and/or a cafe to buy food and drinks on site

On-site gym with lap pool for rider cross-training. (Hey, I said this is my dream facility! )

Auto waterers

Adequate pasture and 12-hour turnout every day

Comment

I rode for awhile at a TB training facility that had a practice race track (probably a half mile)--so nice.

I echo the covered walkers and of course the bar!
                                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X