• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Construction Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Help

Long story short - new indoor and we have had some moisture in spots along side walls and at the corners periodically for six months - builder "acts stomped" - well now I have proof mini snow drifts in corners and along sides ~ coming in seams of building some how???? They now want to sell us "filler strips" ??? What are they ? Shouldn't these have been part of the building like nails and screws ? Thank you for your help.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Well, that is why construction sheet metal has ridges, so you can overlap on the ends and no water should come thru.
    They must have missed a few places?

http://www.rhinobldg.com/standard-building-system.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siding

Comment

Builder is either a piss poor builder and an idiot or did shoddy work deliberatly and is upselling fittings and finish. There are a few companies around here that do the upsell when dealing with women and do shoddy work.
      Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for your help ~ more accurately ~ snow seems to be blowing in from top intersection of roof and top of side wall? How is that possible? any ideas? Bluey ~ thank you for the "links" & Yes sk_pacer apparently it is a piss poor builder who is also an idiot doing shoddy work deliberately ! I hate this company & and desperately need to get this problem corrected. Thank you again.

Comment

It is doing the same as my barn/shed - blowing in through the ventilation slots which, in my case, means they didnt leave enough roof overhang. There should be slots the length of the sides about 2" wide but the overhang should stop the whitecrap. You got the same builder as I had??ROFL
          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

Not enough information to be able to help.

If what you need to know is not in this, just poke around on the Fabral site. It's there somewhere.

http://www.fabral.com/downloads/details-postframe.pdf
            www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you Tom King - I will read this -overwhelming on first look through. I can only describe that there have been semi-circles of moisture along the south side wall and north wall of the indoor - not down the entire sides- ever since structure was completed in July. Condensation ? Very dry summer, fall and so far winter here: thus doors have been open and ring has not been used. Some company thought "point loading" but we have not used it due to moisture - drier outside than inside!!! The builder has blamed everyone - from dirt man to gutterman - gutterman raised the gutters - dirt man has been cleared by quarry man, engineers and other dirt experts - now light snow and semi-circles of snow along south and north sides of indoor - snow drifts in corners .. This structure is 40x70 with doors on north side and west and east ends. Moisture has moved from sidewalls towards center - closer to center from the south side--- So rain water is going in gutters and gutters are functioning - pad was developed -routing water around pad - building at an angle to fence to accomplish drainage flow-- pad built up 26" in one corner. The ceiling insulation is not wet - the boards are not wet - the sidewalls are not wet -when you take off a piece of the metal side wall and reach your hand in there ( between the side wall and the plywood placed insideon posts to save my knees) the limestone is wet like sand. No one can tell us where the moisture is coming from - but now with the snow it can be proven that it must be blowing in - inbetween the roof and the top of the side wall ??? I don't know as I don't do my own dental work but no one seems to be able to figure this out . We are not using the indoor for fear we ruin the dirt pad that is getting wetter over the last six months of dry weather. HELP !! Did they not seal the corners or is there a gap between the roof and gutter and sidewall allowing snow to blow inside? I will read the link provided - I am quite sure our builders can not even read!
              Last edited by Zu Zu; Dec. 12, 2009, 09:51 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

• Original Poster

Now more snow blowing in- piling on every board from the top of the side walls to the floor and then drifts ???Blowing in from above the doors also ? Can this be fixed at all ` anyone know ?

Comment

YIKES, ZUZU! So sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, and I'm so sorry you are having these troubles. All I can do is hope and jingle for a decent solution, SOON!
                  stained glass groupie
                  www.equiglas.com

Comment

Could you maybe afford a consultation by a commercial architect/structural engineer?

A few hundred dollars may get you an answer you can then see if someone is liable for whatever is needed to fix the problem and maybe even the fee for the expert.

I can't quite understand your problem, as it seems at times to be moisture going up from below, other times leaking from above, or both?

There are easy solutions to leaking from above, like ridge foam you can unscrew the metal and add it underneath and retighten the screws.
                    Moisture coming from below, that may take french drains to fix.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks eventgroupie2 - it is a new indoor finished July this year ~ has been a PITA ! and I so need it ! as now we have had a blizzard ! Oh Well ! All equine and feline and humans are safe and dry so we plod onward ! Bluey ~ first thank you for your help ~ we have had many people - engineers and builders and others try to determine where the moisture was coming from. Many have tried to rip us off with silly solutions the most recent being - to get us to dig an additional drainage system beacuse of "point loading" but since we have not used the arena - it could not be point loading and thank goodness we didn't get scammed for that !- pad was designed by an engineer friend who said we did not need french drains for this pad construction and site - the builder has been trying to blame it on the pad construction and drainage --- but now with the snow - we can "at last" document the moisture has been and continues to be coming from the sides of the bulding - and above the doors. I will look into ridge foam and builders are due back this week.Again thank you for reading and your help concerning ridge foam.
                      Last edited by Zu Zu; Dec. 26, 2009, 03:32 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

sounds like you have two problems

No matter how well you did the pad, even with a dry summer, moisture can be perking up through the ground along the edges. Yes, even if you have big gutter, sufficient overhang, surround with concrete, etc ad nauseum. Ask me how I know???? I was told I wouldn't need a french drain either, but, I ended up getting one anyway, voila' problem solved.
                        If you actually "had a blizzard" then yes, the snow will come in along the ridgeline vent, underneath the roof vent(overhang) along the door seams and anywhere else that isn't airtight. There is no such thing as an airtight, watertight arena, but that doesn't mean the builder didn't do his job. No one is going to jump up and say "yep, my fault". Your best bet is to get ahold of someone in your area that builds the same kind of building, tell him what you think the problem is and pay him a flat fee to come and do a "look see" and tell you what the trouble really is.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you 2ndyrgal - I just have never had this happen in any other building ~ indoor or stall barn ... ever ! any location! Yes, we had blizaard conditions for about 24 hours Christmas Eve til Christmas Day ~ so I guess the snow is normal but this did not occur with the run-in shed ; stall barn or equipment shed.? And yes I have another local builder coming for a "consult" on Monday this wil be the second - so I am glad to know at least ~ as per your advice I am on the right track in getting this figured out and fixed. Thanks for your advice and I will be more receptive to the french drain idea.
                          Last edited by Zu Zu; Dec. 26, 2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

ZuZu - Art added a french drain behind the run-in and in front of the barn - did solve problems of moisture running into and through the buidlings. We are on such hills that the run-off has to really be directed, or it becomes a mess. (Couldn't blame anybody else as we had built the run-in and barn ourselves ) But we did have the barn pad built pretty high, and thought that would be plenty to not be affected by run-off from the driveway hill, but it wasn't. So the french drains really helped in our cases.
                            Good luck with the consult tomorrow. Hugs
                            stained glass groupie
                            www.equiglas.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much !

eventgroupie2 -- Thank you ~ thank you -for your added information ~ will look into those french drains ~ as I do want to like my new mini indoor and use it ~ right now it is just a PITA . Sending Holiday Jingles to you and Art and of course Mr. Willie and Gumby and Bear and all the other eventgroupie2s.

Comment

seriously..

the guys we got to do the arena pad shot the level with a lazer and were really professionals. Due to the sheer size and roof area, even with big gutters, you're going to have moisture around the arena. My theory is, much like osmosis, the moisture is going to take the path of least resistance, ie, disturbed earth and migrate toward where it's most dry, as in inside your arena. We ended up trying all different types of drainage, hubby installed a 3 ft concrete sidewalk all the way around the outside of a 72'x184' arena. Didn't help. He buried the drainpipes coming off the 8 oversize gutters and trenched them clear down to the hillside where they drain into the lake, lake filled nicely, but didn't help. He then listened to the builder and I who, the first time it rained after completion said, "you know, if you just put a french drain off the front door and re-grade the driveway (which has always been the wet side) just a little bit, it will solve the problem". Only after filling the bottom brace (the one that sits on the ground al the way around) between the brace and the outside wall with concrete and THAT didn't work either(but it looks nice) did he call the builder to put in the drain he recommended from the begining. In the meantime, on a rainy, wet day, when I was really pissed at DH for something else and got the big tractor and blade out and started my OWN driveway grading project, did he realize that sometimes, men have to not only ask for directions, but follow them. Really, the key is, no matter what you think you did when it was built, if you don't get ALL the water flowing way away from the arena, yo will still have problems. And if you have an overhang, and a ridgeline vent, sometimes, you will get snow. It's snowing inside my big old barn this evening, through the little vent chimneys that were originally for the tobacco it used to house. With the lights on, it looks like fairy dust. When I was dealing with the water issues, I just rode from quarterline to quarterline and made due, made my horse better, no different that riding in a warm up arena with some people. Good luck, and realize that unless you get all the water draining away, it won't matter what the builder does (look at people with wet concrete block basements).

Comment

• Original Poster

I finally hear you !!!!

2ndrygal ~ thank you !!! I have finally heard you !! I appreciate your posts ~ sounds like you have gone through EXACTLY what I am going through ~ constructionally ~ financially ~ emotionally ~ and frustrationally ~ I will re-figure the drainage. Thank you again for your time and patience with knocking this into my head ! I SO needed to read your posts !

Comment

• Original Poster

Train Wreck has been stopped !!!

Update ~ good consult completed - and builder is going to fix many of the problems at their cost. Grading evaluation to be done as soon as weather subsides. At least we have some answers and solutions !!! Thanks for all your help !
                                    Last edited by Zu Zu; Dec. 30, 2009, 10:19 AM. Reason: spekk

Comment

Working...
                                    X