• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Skunk in stall - action needed or ignore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk in stall - action needed or ignore?

When I fed last night there was a small skunk in my geldings' stall. Gelding ignored it - it ignored gelding - but I would not go in there to throw his feed.

Gelding was very confused when I called him out of there.

Shortly thereafter skunk waddled out in that skunky way, went around the corner and disappeared into the night.

Stalls are deep bedded - looks like skunk is digging through bedding for bugs.

Neither horses nor sheep nor goat seemed bothered by skunk. None of my cats or dog have been sprayed.

Should I worry about its presence (it looked quite healthy, shiny, well-fed)?

(By the way, there is no cat/dog food outside to attract it)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

uuuuhhhhhhh, yea I would have s#@* nickles.

If anyone knows how to deter skunks from wandering through, im curious too.

Good thing pony took it in stride!
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought about predator urine but thought it would upset my beasts more that the skunk
      Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

Yes, you should worry about it. Skunks carry rabies and if you "surprise" one you'll quickly learn about other really unpleasnt things they do.

Skunks are nocturnal and don't like light. So keep a light on in the barn. It neednt' be a spotlight, just enough to annoy Mr. Skunk. Fixtures can even be mounted outside to give a "light fence" around the barn.

G.
        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

If you are loathe to shoot the thing, make life unpleasant, noise, activity, talk radio (voices all the time with bursts of noise) and lights. You really do not want it settling in, as, at the very least, they are destructive and at worst, they will spray and bite and claw. If you cannot shoot, get someone to do the deed; you WILL see it in daylight when it gets comfortable. They are hard to shoot, so be accurate - head shot if don't suspect rabies, high powered rifle for body shot if you do. I was told years ago that shooting a suspected rabid skunk with a 22 is like trying to piss a hole through thick ice. I snickered at the man, and ate my words - emptied the 10 shot clip for the Mossberg into one before it dropped, and it was rabid as were every other one I killed that summer.
          Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

One of my horses got sprayed right between the eyes. Not a pleasant situation to be in. I would try to convince it to go somewhere else in a gentle way.
            Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Ironically skunks do not like bad smells. try mothballs. I used to work at the wildlife clinic, and this is a common question.

Comment

Set a kill trap that the horse can't get to. They've got a couple skunks this way where I have my horses.
                Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                VW sucks.

Comment

I would let it be -- it was just momentarily foraging and sounds as if it is peacefully coexisting. Not every skunk out there is a rabid, ravening menace, most are rather unobtrusive creatures. It's not going to be galloping about trying to spray you unless you do something crazy like chase it trying to kick it or somesuch.
                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Have all your animals been vaccinated for Rabies? This would be my first step, protection because you may never see the skunk again, but he is still around to bite.

Last couple Rabies cases in MI were skunk related, who bit horses. Horses then had to be put down because they were not vaccinated.

You could try the humane traps, then call the County Animal Control folks to dispose of the skunks. I hear a covering for the cage will allow you to move them without being sprayed. If that cover doesn't work, at least the spray goes on the cover, not you!

You need to remove the attraction to skunks, whatever they are. Feed grain to horse with stall doors closed. Then clean up any spilled stuff, remove any in the feeder. Skunks like sugar too. They WILL argue with the horse about who gets the grain, and that is when horse gets bitten. Maybe skunk is after the mice who eat spilled grain, again you clean up all spills to remove the food source to mice.

Mothballs are an easy fix, so is bright lighting, hope that works. My horses are in or out, no run in stalls. Doors are closed, cat food picked up at night. Sorry, while skunks deserve space, it is not going to be at my barn because they commonly carry diseases and share them. They can live in my woods, but not live or visit in the barn. Every animal here gets Rabies vaccinations as a preventative measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                      Yes, you should worry about it. Skunks carry rabies and if you "surprise" one you'll quickly learn about other really unpleasnt things they do.

Skunks are nocturnal and don't like light. So keep a light on in the barn. It neednt' be a spotlight, just enough to annoy Mr. Skunk. Fixtures can even be mounted outside to give a "light fence" around the barn.

G.
                      Rabies is a valid concern.
                      I insisted my vet vaccinate for rabies after seeing skunks in my barn.
                      This was 4 years ago and just last year he showed me an article in the JVM that listed skunks as vectors for the disease in my area.

But:
                      the "light fence" idea won't work - I bent down one night to pet the "kitty" digging in my paddock, pretty well lit by the outside light.....
                      Then realized I don't have a black/white kitty!

I've had skunks in my barn & they are pretty unflappable.
                      They know what they have and will threaten (stomp forefeet, then turn around) before using it.
                      But they do have poor vision in bright light, so flip on a light or shine a flashlight around before going into your barn to give them fair warning.

They are actually not totally nocturnal - is diurnal the right word? - more active at dusk & dawn.
                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                        I would let it be -- it was just momentarily foraging and sounds as if it is peacefully coexisting. Not every skunk out there is a rabid, ravening menace, most are rather unobtrusive creatures. It's not going to be galloping about trying to spray you unless you do something crazy like chase it trying to kick it or somesuch.
                        We killed a skunk in our pasture biting at the horses fetlocks about 10 years ago.

A few months after that, a neighbor woke in the middle of the night to the sound of his dog barking. He looked out and saw his dog and a skunk nose to nose biting at each other.

He shot the skunk and called animal control.

24 hours later they were knocking on his front door wanting to know if his dog had been vaccinated. It had not. End of dog.

My horses had been vaccinated for many years and never miss their shots when due. They will get a booster in 3 weeks.

We shot the skunk and gave the horses a booster and so we had no worry.

I would kill it and I would not rest until it is dead.

CSSJR

Comment

Some years ago, we had one trying to get into the crawlspace under our house - under our bedroom, no less. I read that they are repelled by the odor of ammonia, so I splashed it all over the wood entrance covers. It said you could also place ammonia soaked rags in places they try to gain entry. It worked for me and it left for good.

It's not going to be galloping about trying to spray you unless you do something crazy like chase it trying to kick it or somesuch.
                          Where did you hear that? Or are you just hypothesizing, "they're more scared of you than you are of them"? I have found your statement to be blatantly untrue.

Several years ago on a January afternoon, my sheltie, 2 cats, and I were taking a walk on our property. We all heard crashing through the weeds and bushes about 75"away, and were alarmed to hear it rushing towards us instead of away in fright. Then an animal, white with big grey spot on it's back, came charging us under the barbed wire fence and stopped 3-4 feet in front of my wagging-tailed sheltie. It looked like a lot the Lhasa Apso we had just finished petsitting and I'm sure Cody thought it was his friend.

Skunk crossed my mind but I had never heard of a grey-spotted white one. Cody took a step forward to greet it and it very slowly and deliberately turned around. My brain finally engaged and I jumped in there to grab Cody, but was a couple seconds too late. It calmly lifted its tail and sprayed him straight in the eyes from about 3" away. I picked him up and ranl, figuring it might be chasing us or going after my cats. That skunk did a number on my dog's eyes. It must have burned like heck because Cody squinted his eyes tightly and wouldn't open them for a long time.

We had done nothing to deserve it's wrath. It was way far away from us and charged us to spray at point-blank range. This was at 4 pm and it looked very healthy, well0fed, and clean.

Yip
                          "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Comment

Leave it alone. It will be hibernating somewhere soon enough. Skunks are very beneficial animals - they eat bugs and grubs.

I really am dismayed by all the so-called "animal lovers" here who have horses, cats, and dogs, but advocate shooting, trapping, or poisoning other animals because they're an "inconvenience."
                            I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

If you worried about every wild animal that potentially carried diseases, and lived in the general vicinity of your barn, you'd do nothing but work towards getting rid of them, never mind ride. There's just too many of them out there. I'd relax a hair, throw some moth balls down, make sure all the horses, dogs and cats have their rabies vaccs, and see what happens.

I had a big female that not only lived under my tool shed (within easy reach of my dogs runs - never an issue, she avoided them) but also had a litter of babies under there. She unfortunately disappeared, leaving the babies, so I had to trap them and take them to a wildlife rehabber, as they were too young to be alone. It was very cute to watch them posture and threaten, since they were all of 6' long. Couldn't take them all that seriously. Lol. And they never made good on the threats, either.
                              Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                              www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I'm with you, Timex. Until recently, we have had a huge mamma skunk, been with us for about 3 or 4 years now, with a litter every year. She is genetically different - almost all white with a little black, and its fun to see which babies get her coloring. She's never sprayed yet, but even so, Mr. AR says he doesn't mind skunk smell, reminds him of the farm he grew up on, and loved so much!

Also had the hugest raccoon, so obese he could hardly waddle, come looking for goodies in the trash can, but couldn't get up on them to tip them over, it was so fat - we named it Pizza the Hut.

Now we have a fisher cat in the area, and poof, no more skunks, racoons, squirrels, rodents, nothing. solve your pest problems with a fisher cat, I guess. Sigh. Named him Francis. Not quite sure why Mr. AR named him Francis. Says he wants Francis gone, that Francis' days are numbered, Mr. AR wants his skunk and Pizza back, and those animals won't live in the vicinity of a Fisher cat. Mr. AR threatens to sit up on the upstairs deck with a .22 and wait for Francis and dispatch him, but how can you name something you're going to shoot? I think he secretly likes Francis the Fisher Cat. I get emails about what's going on in the field and yard during the day (Like in the summer; Mr. AR is a school teacher, and home during the day in summer) from him signed "Gary and Francis".

But a Fisher Cat is the way to go to rid yourself of the smaller critters, if'n that's what you want.
                                Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

AnotherRound, your post made me smile. Your husband sounds exactly like mine and that's totally something we would do (name random wildlife).

I hate skunks! My dog has been sprayed twice in the last two months. It's always when it's below 40 outside, always a night, and usually when my husband is out of town. It's horrible. The smell lingers (on the dog, us, the barn, the stall, whatever) for quite some time. They will fight the cats, and they are just gross. Not to mention, if they get under your house, your house will stink. BAD.

On the flip side, if they don't bother you, they aren't raving lunatics. I used to work in animal control. We would trap them and then euthanize them using a tranq gun poked in the cage. One time I had one in a trap and couldn't get the tranq gun to work right. I couldn't let it out (the land owner was right there) and couldn't let it suffer, so I loaded it into the back of my truck, drove it to the animal shelter, unloaded it, and then came back and euthanized it. It didn't spray during that whole ordeal.

When I worked at Sea World, they would run around at night and you could walk right through the groups of them browing like they were a flock of chickens. They would just amble right out of the way.

Comment

Never heard of a Fisher Cat but sounds really interesting. Off to Google for me!

BTW, I have never owned a firearm and have never killed an animal. Don't know if I could. I would try to leave skunks alone or use the ammonia to deter them. Trapping would only be necessary if I really thought it was rabid.

Yip
                                    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Comment

All my animals are vaccinated. But we have had a skunk as a neighbor for years. He was very dignified and made his rounds in his slow deliberate way. Lights didn't bother him and one day he was the patio door checking out the digs. We gently shooed him away.
                                      This guy started out black with a thin white stripe but turned mostly white with thin black stripes on his side. I presumed the amount of white indicates age, I may be wrong. Oh, and the lawn showed his little dig piles, he ate the grubs under the grass so he was a plus.

Comment

Anybody watch the MythBusters episode where they were trying to test skunk spray remedies? They were TRYING to get wild trapped skunks to spray and they couldn't. It was quite entertaining, and they actually found a homemade remedy of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and soemthing else worked best to remove the odor.

No real suggestions for the OP, but the rememdy might come in handy if he comes back. and that rabies should be up to date as was mentioned.

Katherine
                                        Vet Tech
                                        You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

Working...
                                        X