• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Advice needed please, my 3 year old quarter horse filly is jumping over my 5' fence!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please, my 3 year old quarter horse filly is jumping over my 5' fence!

My 3 year old Quarter Horse filly, has caused so many problems and I am at my wit's end. I got her as a starved 2 year old, managed to put weight on her, and then this past fall she was due her shot's but came down with West Nile, I got her over that. Now for the new problem, my husband spend all summer building me a 5' tall horse fence with poly wire and solid wood post every 10 feet, and I have not taught her to jump at all, but she gets about 20 feet from the fence and leaps over like she a jumper, DID I TELL YOU THAT SHE IS ONLY 14'2 HANDS TALL! I don't know what to do now, any advise would help and the sooner the better.

Use extenders to run a hot as hell hotwire on top of the posts. They screw into the tops and make it at least another 6" tall. Then also run another hotwire inside of the fence, offset to the inside (not flush with the posts). Make her terrified of that fence.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by dmalbone View Post
      Use extenders to run a hot as hell hotwire on top of the posts. They screw into the tops and make it at least another 6" tall. Then also run another hotwire inside of the fence, offset to the inside (not flush with the posts). Make her terrified of that fence.
      Should I use solar or the battery kind? also is this normal for her to be doing this?

Comment

I would personally use the electric. I'm debating between this one: http://www.kencove.com/fence/detail.php?code=EXD6 and this one right now: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/...&pf_id=0028431

There are some horses who just like to jump!Is she scared when she's doing it? Is she in a dry lot and grass is on the other side? Horses she's trying to get to? Good luck. That's my biggest fear. Our fences are going to be 5 1/2' tall and I'm terrified about it.

Comment

Better burn her on the wire first. You don't want her trying to go over the extra height you add and getting tangled in hot wire.

Some young horses are suicidal, just keep hurting themselves. You have to figure what is setting them off to find trouble.

WHY doesn't she like the enclosure? Why can't she be turned out with others? Socializing is about as important as keeping her healthy, so friends are important.

Comment

Off course and not trying to be rude but I'd think about selling her to a jumper that is real talent that is hard to breed.

I agree with the fencing and trying to work out why she is jumping out. My old horse used to do it when she was stressed about a situation.

Comment

Yeah that above, in all seriousness. Find a skilled, ambitious and tiny jumper rider, junior or amateur, and let rider and horse have the time of their lives together. Hopefully she finds that satisfying and doesn't need to prove more in pasture ... but anyway, it won't be your problem to solve anymore.

Comment

Well, when my stallion came home to live, I HAD to make his turnout jump-proof. It was not an option. And it did look a bit weird, but he never even TRIED to jump out. He could clear 5' easily ... and had as a two-year old (not under saddle.) I don't know if this is feasible, as I don't know how big her turnout is ... but here goes (and NO laughing!)

We took pressure treated 2x4s and cut them into two-foot lengths, screwed them onto the current fence posts, then hot wired the top. It was cheap and solved the problem. We used 2" tape and he never even looked sideways,... never even THOUGHT about jumping. It was well over 6.5 feet tall.

The turnout...probably 1/2 an acre (maybe more) was easily done in a day. BUT, it wasn't visible from the road, so the fact that it looked a bit odd didn't bother us.

Maybe this will inspire someone to post a better solution. But it did work...
                "For God hates utterly
                The bray of bragging tongues."
                Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Comment

Figure out why she's trying to get out...

When my mare was two, she did this. I had her in a separate field from the broodmares because I didn't want her hurt (she's was a WEE bit "assertive" for a two-year-old). But she insisted on wanting to be in the other field, so I just left her there. Yes, she got a bit banged up, but she survived.

Comment

Is she an "only horse" ? Horses rarely leave the safely of the herd, sounds like she is looking for a buddy. A young horse like that SHOULD be kept with one or more OLDER well adjusted horses. Nothing worse than a bratty baby bully that's never had a proper "miss manners" class from an Old Broodmare. Giver a REASON to STAY in the pen, aka her herd.

Comment

Is she an only horse? I don't see that anywhere but I keep seeing people mention it. Didn't know if I missed it.

Comment

I agree with sell her as a jumper, unless that is why you got her yourself? I agree with find out why she wants to jump out, and if she is alone, get her a buddy. Do you have any pictures of the environment she is in? Somehow I think having a visual of the whole scene could help us all brainstorm?
                        Jeanie
                        RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Do you have a feed in her turnout? Many QH I have known have been less inclined to think about athletic activities that can get them killed if they have a stack of hay in front of them. Just a thought.

I wouldn't actually want to train her to fear the fence, but if you put the flapping flags on your hot wire, you can train her to fear the hot wire -- not fences in general.

Comment

Originally posted by LJStarkey View Post
                            Do you have a feed in her turnout? Many QH I have known have been less inclined to think about athletic activities that can get them killed if they have a stack of hay in front of them. Just a thought.
                            Ok sorry just saw this about the QH and had to laugh! So we have a bigger guy about 16 hh that is a fabulous kids horse, some sort of appendix QH looking guy. At this point he is right around 17 years old, has navicular and really isn't the most athletic thing to begin with if you catch my drift. We cannot keep him in our pastures! With a buddy, without a buddy, in the dry lot, on the 40 acre grass. All property is fenced in the 3" wide hot tape, 3 strands each with quite a current running through it, and its close to 6' tall in most places, only exaggerated by the angle of the hill making it much steeper from take off point, but too low to the ground to go under. Doesn't matter what pasture you put him in, guaranteed he will not be in the same one when you come back! Sometimes goes for a stroll on the property, sometimes wanders back to the barn, sometimes joins a different group of horses in the adjoining pasture (the mares are not so thrilled with this trick). We haven't caught him in the act yet, and can't figure out how the hell he does it. Tape is never down, never has cuts or burn marks from the tape, no freaking clue, and all other horses are exactly where we left them!

Comment

Sounds like you need to focus this talent!

In all seriousness...as others have mentioned, I'd try to get to the root of the problem. If she's already clearing the thing, a little bit of hotwire may create more danger than preventative.
                              A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Advice? OK

1. Keep the filly.

2. Reward her everytime she jumps 4 or 5' clear. (I do and my boy has cleared hot wire many times.)

3. Let us all know when you start showing her in the jumpers!

Comment

Post a video of her jumping so we can see her form You might have your problem solved and get enough money to fence your fields in golden rails if she's truly under 14.2 and has that much scope

FWIW, one of our rescues cleared 3'9" routinely as a 11 hand yearling. He tried and made it over 5' then, also, but taking down the top rail. Kudos for him attempting something a foot or two above his eyes. Long story short, previous adopter taught him to run loose on the farm every afternoon for fun before dinner, since the orphan weanling would come back when called Turning him out with the big horses distracted him enough to stop it.

But, he is 3 now and still defiantly headed towards a life over fences. Good mover, balanced, good form, and loves jumping!

Comment

sorry, but i just don't believe it without video.
                                    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                                    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I advise you to put her in a trailer and send her to me.......

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goodhors View Post
                                        Better burn her on the wire first. You don't want her trying to go over the extra height you add and getting tangled in hot wire.

Some young horses are suicidal, just keep hurting themselves. You have to figure what is setting them off to find trouble.

WHY doesn't she like the enclosure? Why can't she be turned out with others? Socializing is about as important as keeping her healthy, so friends are important.
                                        We are going to put up some hot wire next week. I have no idea why she does not like her pasture, but she is alone and she is our only horse, so maybe she is looking for a buddy, I just don't know. We spent so much time building this fence for her and she goes over it with no effort, I told my husband she may have to get a new home..

Comment

Working...
                                        X