• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Winter water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter water

My horses are pasture boarded this winter in separate fields. One is right next to the barn, and the water for that one is pretty simple.. property owners got a big metal trough and a tank heater and drilled a hole in the barn for the cord to come in, and set up a hose/pipe system to minimize the number of hoses I need.

Second field isn't quite so easy. It's 50-75 feet from the barn.. nothing has been set up for that one. It currently has a 50 gallon Rubbermaid trough. Owners aren't too worried about deicing it, as the horse in that field will be in a stall overnight, but she'll be out for probably 10-12 hours a day. I don't care if it freezes over halfway through the day; she can wait a few hours and drink when she comes in.

But I'm not sure what to do in the mornings. I'm thinking of one of two things: get a long extension cord and run it from the barn to her trough and drop in a heater. I would have to monitor this as it will melt plastic, but I would put a cinder block or something in the tank and let it sit on that once it melts through the ice (or if I break the ice). My other idea is to get one of those stick bucket heaters that are safe for plastic buckets, and just heat up a 5 gallon bucket of water (or a couple of buckets) and dump them in to melt the ice and warm it up a bit.

Thoughts?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I wish I could figure out something myself. I have tried hoses. They freeze up before I can get back into the house to turn them off and drain them, and they are heavy. We tried hooking hoses up, on posts, in the air, so they drain themselves, nope, they freeze. The 30 gallon tub freezes solid, the whole way down. ONly thing I find that works, is me. I lug 2 five gallon pails of warm water 147 feet, three times a day. It really sucks, especially on the days I can hardly move. Other than putting water pipes down four feet(frost level) to the barn all I can do is lug. Hate to do that when I don't own the place.

I am going to talk with the Hydrohose ppl and see if they can help. They will build hoses for ppl. They have a flat hose that is very lightweight and good down to -30. It will real itself back up and water will drain oiut as it flattens. Sounds good, haven't spoken with them yet. But it's my next idea.

Comment

If you have to lug water, try buying a couple of the 5 gallon gas containers they sell at car parts stores. You can fill those with regular or hot water and screw the caps on and then put them in a wheelbarrow or on a sled if there's snow on the ground and walk them out to the troughs. Much easier than carrying them and much better than buckets because they don't slosh around and the water doesn't cool off before you get to the trough.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

Iuse a floating heater in my 100 gal Rubbermaid trough. I run a cord from DH's workbarn ( on it's own circuit). The trough is right up against the fencing. The heater has its little "cage" and in the many, many years I've used this set up I've never had a problem with horses playing with it, or pulling it out of the trough. ( I may have jinxed myself, now!). I use a 100'outdoor electrical cord. I need about 100' of hose to reach the trough and in years past I'd have to drain the hose, roll it up and take it into the back hall between uses. I've discovered that if I THOROUGHLY drain itI can leave it out and it's ready to use. I can usually get a day that is at least sunny enough a few timesa week to let me top off the tub. My main problem is the outside faucet , and THAT freezes. It's on the "honey do" list to install a self draining faucet, or put one in the cellar, but so far, it;s not high on the list. I just put the kettle on and keep pouring boiling water until the faucet flows. We had a recycle shelter in front of it that we just relocated so we'll see if just getting sun on it until noonish will make things easier. If all else fails, it's two 5 gallon jugs !

We run our extension cord through a piece of PVC piping and secure that outside the fencing so it the heater can move/bob with the water level and the cord plug will be above the ground at the fenceline in the snow and top off the water before it gets half way .
        Last edited by CB/TB; Dec. 1, 2009, 09:11 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

There is a plug in water heater made just for the Rubbermaid troughs. It is inserted through the drain plug. Never had a problem in 4 winters. We have to do the extension cord thing too. We have a GFCI extension cord so it's a lot safer than a regular extension cord. We also loop the cord over a plant hanger to keep the connection off the ground.

Comment

I use a submersible heater which has a metal cage around it to keep it from touching the plastic.

You could also just break the ice a few times a day. It's not as elegant of a solution as a tank heater, but it is an option.
            Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
              If you have to lug water, try buying a couple of the 5 gallon gas containers they sell at car parts stores. You can fill those with regular or hot water and screw the caps on and then put them in a wheelbarrow or on a sled if there's snow on the ground and walk them out to the troughs. Much easier than carrying them and much better than buckets because they don't slosh around and the water doesn't cool off before you get to the trough.
              I use the 5 gallon blue kerosene ones with the caps, they are very nice. I do use a sled. I can't use the wheelbarrow, it bothers me too much. I have a spine disease and am not supposed to lug anything. For some reason I can pull hte sled much better. To get to the sled I still have 12 stairs on one side and 15 on the other. And then there is the lugging/sledding of all the frozen water back inside too. I do not like it much but it's the situation I"ve got. Kenny is going to call the Hydrohose ppl right away and see if they can build me something appropriate. Trying to get by, the point will come when I can no longer do it at all and then something different will HAVE to happen. But yes, the big jugs are great. I seem to get two yrs out of a pair of them. The sloshing thing had to come to an end. That is not something I can put up with when it's below zero at all. Right now I am lugging old buckets but will be getting a new set of those good ones this week and I can't wait. I can't fill them completely full as it's too much. I just make more trips.

Comment

We have the 100 gallon rubbermaid tub & in the winter I use the "drain plug" deicer. I believe its about $25 @ TSC, I purchased it @ Horse.com for about $15 on clearance. I use an outdoor heavy duty extension chord (I don't remember the rating, an electrician friend helped me out w/the exact length, etc needed). I use a pvc/electric conduit "house" that I put the plug in to protect it from wet/snowy/icy weather. It works great! The most complicated aspect is filling the tub. Since the hose freezes if I leave it out, I keep it in my basement & have to drag it out & return to basement for use. I also use a styrofoam "weather shield" type thing that I keep on my faucet so it doesn't freeze.
                Unicorn Dreams Wholistic Touch
                Proudly owned by: Kopper & Fuego~my super cute bay & chest Arabians , Precocious Leader~aka "Mr. Withers," my dark bay OTTB
                Lightning Bug~ RIP my b/w tobiano TWH.

Comment

I tried the styrofoam cap for my outside faucet and it never worked. Could be that the faucet was always in the shadebecause of the recycling storage bin. We'll see this winter how that works. Try draining the hose thoroughly and laying it flat and see if that might work for you, Unicorn. I'm further north than you and so far, these past few years. I've had good luck just doing that each time I fill the tub. I hang the hose over a tree limb until until it's drained then lay it flat. Sometimes, I just leave it over the tree. Today it was 28f this morning- going up to mid 50=60'! Gotta love the NE!

Comment

Working...
                  X