• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ford F150 and a Gooseneck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford F150 and a Gooseneck

I have purchased an '02 F150 4x4 extended cab for hauling hay, feed and the bumper pull 2 horse trailer.

I've been thinking about trailers. I'd like a 3 horse trailer. My truck hauls the 2 horse BPs really well. No complaints there. I'm worried about the 3 horse trailers. 3 horse BPs are harder to find. 3 horse Goosenecks are pretty available.

Does anyone pull a gooseneck with an F150? I saw one on the highway a few weeks ago and it looked okay. It was identical to mine pulling a 3 horse GN with a tack room. One of my boarders uses a GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 to pull her 2 horse GN.

I just want to make sure I'm not completely nuts for thinking that my F150 would be capable of pulling a 3 horse gooseneck. I know a 250 would be better but my budget just wasn't available for any of the 250s I found.

Another question about trucks, does the 4x4 decrease the towing capacity? I was always told that 4x4s would be a better idea just in case of trouble but someone said the other day that the four wheel drive decreases towing... I'm second guessing now.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for your input!
    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

I wouldn't do it. It does put quite the strain on the engine & tranny going up hill. Also, you'd want more weight in a truck to stabilize the weight of the trailer in the rare event of loss of brakes, etc.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Don't do it. A friend of mine hauls her 2H GN with her F150 4X4. It pulls it. But you can about hear the transmission slowly burning up and they had to install air bladder suspension in the rear to keep it from being just plain scary to haul. I would definitely not pull three horses with it. We hauled 3 horses in a GN behind a Chevy 2500 (3/4 ton) gas engine last weekend and it was working its TAIL off, I would rather have used my 250 diesel, but I keep a camper shell on it and perfer a bumper pull with it. Of course, you are already going to get miserable mileage pulling with the 1/2 ton.

You will see people doing it. Lots of people do it. But I can promise you they are paying the repair/replacement bills as a price. At which point you could have just spent the money on the 250 up front and pulled whatever you wanted. Just because people do it, doesn't mean it's a great idea....

4X4 does not in and of itself do anything to tow capacity. It does decrease tow capacity WHEN IT IS ENGAGED. Also, in the F150, when the 4x4 option is added, they use the 3/4 ton axles most of the time, instead of the 1/2 tons axles, so you get a little extra strength there. Mostly 4x4 just means more weight on the truck, reduced mileage, and more front end issues and in the south, I just never used it, so I traded mine in and current truck is a 2WD. I figure if I get stuck at a show, I am surrounded by trucks and tractors!

Length is also going to be an issue, even though it's a gooseneck. You still have to fit 3 horses back there and you have a fairly lightweight truck to balance out that much weight should the unexpected occur. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting my own horse in that situation.
      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I wouldn't do it either. I have an F250 diesel and it struggles sometimes with my aluminum 3h gooseneck. Well it only struggles when the trailer has 3 horses, hay and feed in it and we're going up really steep hills...
        Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Comment

Wouldn't.
          ---
          They're small hearts.

Comment

Which 150 did you buy? We owned one that was rated for 7700 lbs. I don't recall the specifics, but it was a rare duck- in the 5 yrs we owned it I saw only 1-2 others set up like it. I pulled a 3H GN aluminum trailer with tiny 4' short wall LQ. I never hauled 3 horses loaded to camp, just two. That maxed out what that truck could do. I DID haul three horses from time to time, but again, not to camp (so not hauling 30 gallons of water, three bales of hay, etc for example). That maxed out what that truck could do.

You are in Tallahassee so that helps in terms of FLAT land hauling. You MIGHT could manage a 3H barebones aluminum stock, but again...only if you bought a beefed up 150 like the one we had (firmer suspension, extra stuff under the hood to cool the engine, obviously I can't remember much about it LOL)

4X$ has nothing to do with hauling capacity day in and day out, sorry.

Comment

Not for a 2002 model which not as beefy as the recent F150's.

The company I worked for in the early 2000's had an enormous Ford fleet from F150 up to F650's. There was a distinct and very obvious difference between a 2002 F150 and a F250 then. I would consider a late model F150 closer to a F250 from the early 2000's.

I have a late model F150 with the larger engine and set up for trailering. It's much better than the F150's (2000-2004) that I used to drive for work. Still I won't go more than a 2H w/tack. I could do a 3H goose w/o tack as long as I'm not throwing big horses in back.

Comment

You need to start by looking at what you can legally tow based on what the manufacturer specified for that exact vehicle. An 02 F150 could have a tow capacity from about 4000 to about 9000 pounds depending on which version. 4x4 is one option that might affect it a little, but engine and axle ratio will be bigger factors.

For bigger trucks you often get a higher capacity with a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch. For an F150 it will probably be very similar to the bumper limit.

You might be legal for a basic 3H, or you might not. How you hook it up will probably not make that much difference.

Also, you probably won't get a lot of useful answers here, because there is a vocal group who think that you need a 3/4 ton truck to move raked leaves and a full ton to pull a 2H bumper pull.
                Last edited by tangledweb; Nov. 30, 2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

which motor? which transmission? Which gearing ratios?

Last I checked, having the 4x4 actually decreased the maximum towing load due to the increased weight on the truck. (but made it easier to tow in difficult conditions)

I had the 5 L gas, overdrive auto tranny with transmission cooler, low gear ratios for towing and my F150 struggled up hills with a fully loaded 2H steel BP. We're talking pedal to the metal and only going 40 MPH up the mountain.

Maxed out at around 7500 lbs.

However, my dually 6 L diesel F350 does a really fine job of hauling raked leaves....together with my aluminum 3H GN fully loaded. Up the mountain, passing other vehicles at 60 mph.

You really can't have too much truck, and teh F350 gets the same fuel mileage as the F150 used to.
                  "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

A 3 horse goose is going to be in the neighborhood of 8,000 lbs when loaded - and I'd be surprised if your 150 is rated for that. Indeed, most 150s aren't rated for a 3 horse bumper pull. Your truck will have a tow rating, which will tell you what it can do. Make sure that your hitch is rated for the weight as well as your truck.

4x4 does decrease your tow capacity a little, because it adds weight to the truck that comes off your GCVR. That said, if you're that close to the line, I'd have other worries like blowing out your transmission.
                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I've done it, no issue except truck wears out faster. Biggest issue is more weight to pull, harder on trans/engine/cooling. Nice thing about diesels in any of the trucks is tranny cooler. Gooseneck in and of itself is actually easier on the truck, pound for pound.

If you're going up in weight, look into an aftermarket transmission cooler and maybe even an aftermarket engine oil cooler. Cooler running = less wear = longer life.

Comment

You might be able to go forward with that combo fairly well but God-forbid you need to jump on your brakes, that truck will not safely stop that loaded trailer. I think it is a HUGE risk. You're just looking for the right place to have an accident. I haul 2 horse GNs with F-350s and once in a while wonder if I need a bigger truck.
                        The 4x4 doesn't mean a thing to the towing unless you're in a muddy parking field. With out the 4x4 you will definitely need the tractor to pull you out. Well, actually, with an F-150 4x4 and a 3 horse GN you'll also need the tractor!
                        Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

no way no how would I do it
                          "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                          carolprudm

Comment

I agree with all the neigh-sayers.

I've ridden in a F-150 pulling a loaded 2 horse BP and it was downright terrifying when we headed down a hill. Not a chance I've even consider putting 3 horses behind a 150.

Comment

We have a plain cab, full bed 1990 4x4 F150 that has pulled our 16' gooseneck stocktrailer, with up to four horses or full of cattle, without any trouble, all these years, until we got a 2007 F150 4x4, crew cab, 6 1/2' bed, that we pull with now.
                              Both had the pulling package, that is heavy duty radiator, springs, etc.
                              We have hills, but not mountains and we do fine.

I would say that you can't ever have too much truck, so if you are going to pull long and far and always loaded heavily and big hills and mountains, if you have a choice, the larger truck always makes more sense.

Comment

A new F150 with the larger engine would be capable (rated to tow over 10,000 lbs.) I would definitely be leary with an older one. I just bought a new Sierra rated to tow over 9,000 lbs but won't try anything more than a 2H bumper pull. BTW in most of the trucks I looked at, 4x4 reduced the tow capacity slightly, by 600-800 lbs or so but I'm not sure if that is only when it is engaged.

Comment

Legally, you can probably pull a small GN with an F-150 (assuming the truck is properly equiped and the trailer is within the limits of the truck's stated capacity).

As many have noted pushing the limits in a half-ton is rolling the "safety" dice. In any game you'll win some, but eventually you'll "crap out." If that happens coming down a grade at full, gross weight the result will not be pretty.

Attempts at "management" (just doing short trips, staying on flat ground, keeping speed down, etc.) can help, but can't fully compensate for other drivers who can put the heavily laden half-ton into a serious emergency situation.

At the end of the day I'd likely not do it with anything more than a small, simple, light 2H trailer. And then I'd probably have my brakes redone every 25,000 miles.

G.
                                  Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

• Original Poster

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

I think if I decide to get a GN trailer, I'll get a bigger truck. I can't really afford massive repair work at the moment (if I could, I'd have bought a bigger truck in the first place!) so I'll probably stick with a 2h bumper.

My truck is rated to pull 8,000. A 2 horse bumper w/ tack room loaded is about 5 or 6,000. That makes sense to me.

Thanks for all your input!!
                                    Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Comment

Just one quick thought: You can get small GN trailers that will weigh close to a BP unit. They'll usually be a couple of hundred pounds more due to the structure of the GN, but if the weight stays within limits (and that includes "tongue" weight) then you're OK.

I guess the biggest danger is that it's very easy to "overbuy" with a GN. Keep that in mind and you could "step up" if done carefully.

G.
                                      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by tpup View Post
                                        A new F150 with the larger engine would be capable (rated to tow over 10,000 lbs.) I would definitely be leary with an older one. I just bought a new Sierra rated to tow over 9,000 lbs but won't try anything more than a 2H bumper pull. BTW in most of the trucks I looked at, 4x4 reduced the tow capacity slightly, by 600-800 lbs or so but I'm not sure if that is only when it is engaged.
                                        The 4x4 reduces the tow capacity because of the added weight of the 4x4 components on the truck, so it doesn't matter if it is engaged or not.
                                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
                                        X