• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feeding Round Bales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Round Bales

I have two Thoroughbred geldings living out on an 8 acre pasture right now. The grass is dieing, of course, and I'm currently feeding small squares. I'd like to keep hay in front of them 24/7 and found a great deal on some horse quality orchard grass round bales however I am concerned that two horses will not eat it before it goes bad.

Does everyone here use a round bale feeder? I have a friend who fed round bales, and she used them with and without the bale feeder, but she had a lot of horses to eat them very quickly.

Would you put the bale inside the run in shed, or leave it out in the weather? The run in shed is 10 x 20.

How long do your round bales typically last you?

I'm sure it's been done to death and I did look for information and learned a lot... but had a few more questions =)

Last question first - how long they last depends on how big they are. Round bales can weigh anything from 400 pounds up to 1500 or more, depending on forage crop. I get about 35 days per bale but i also don't let them eat non-stop until it gets colder but even in -40 weather, the bale still lasts 25 days or so.

No feeder here, and stuff I feed outside, I just drop over the fence. pull the netting off and let them have at it. Inside feed, I peel off and dole out. Don't know what to say about feeding in the shelter. Might work, might not, depends on how well your horses get along eating from the same pile of hay. It can work but it can also make one horse very hungry and thin and if that is the case, feed out in the open so the horse at the bottom of the totem pole can get away and snatch feed on the run
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

We have two tb geldings and get almost 3 weeks out of a large (4x5) mixed grass round bale. We keep them on pallets and covered with a tarp until we use them so they're only exposed to the weather once they are in the feeder.

Most definitely use a round bale feeder or half will be wasted, pooped and peed on and spread about in a huge mess within days.

Compared to a good sized small square bale a day ($5/bale), the $40/round bale is inexpensive and they can eat all they want. I'd be spending about $100 in hay in the same amount of time.

If we had a way to put them under a roof, I'd do that but it gets eaten up pretty quick. We don't worry about spoilage.

Our Tb's are rather fat...
      "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Comment

• Original Poster

Fat is what I am looking for! Going to start looking into some RB feeders!

SK, do you find that the bottoms of the bales get nasty and wet or do you not have any issues with it?

Comment

I find that there will always be al little waste with round bales but it is worth it to me to have hay available to them all the time. We got a calf and put him out with the horses so I am sure he will be in charge of cleanup when the bale gets low. I have five OTTBs on this bale and it should last me 2-3 weeks. We use the metal hay rings as it does cut down on waste and mess.
          SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
          Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
          The Barkalicious Bakery
          On Facebook!!!

Comment

Because I just have two horses, I will often keep the round bale in their run-in shed, where it will be somewhat sheltered from damp. However, I mostly just resign myself to the idea that there will be more waste than if I had a larger group eating the bale. I do try to purchase smaller bales to minimize that waste.
            Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
            -Albert Camus

Comment

I keep mine in their sheds. The shed for two horses is 12 by 18 and the shed in the three horse field is 12 by 56 (runs the length of the barn). The two go through one in about three weeks and the three boy field is done with theirs in 8 - 10 days... that field has one piggy Tb who stuffs his face 24/7. I'd be too scared to try a traditional roundbale feeder, but I can't say enough good things about the Big Bale Buddy. They're awesome! Absolutely no waste and I don't worry about anyone beating themselves up on a feeder, plus they're really affordable!
              Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Comment

I keep my big round bales in the barn and dole it out by the wheelbarrow load. Otherwise my filly would be the size of the goodyear blimp because she is a big pig.

I've found that the load will last them about 2 hours, and then they will leave and nibble at grass, then come back and pick up the scraps they left behind the first time. In winter I feed 5 loads a day, and they also get fed alfalfa cubes for breakfast and dinner. It keeps them eating almost full-time, without wasting anything. Because contrary to popular belief, horses do rest during the day instead of eating 24/7. Except for my piggy filly anyway.

Comment

We feed round bales mostly under a shelter I built especially for it and in rings. I buy a variety of different type, quality horse hay and switch around. They also have Ryegrass to graze on. They average about 5 or 6 days for 7 horses and there is little waste when fed in the rings. Under the shelter, I push the ring aside with the front-end loader, clean it all out with the landscape rake kept on the back of the utility tractor in winter, slide the ring back in place, a helper cuts the net off over the ring, and the bale is dropped in. No handling of hay other than with the front-end loader.

If the weather is going to be nice for a number of days, I'll unroll one on a hill in the pastures.
                  www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                    SK, do you find that the bottoms of the bales get nasty and wet or do you not have any issues with it?
                    No real issues with that because I live in a dry area and winter here produces heaps of white crap, and no mud. At any rate, the hay goes in the barn so that when 40 below hits, I can just turn the horses loose and let them at an unwrapped bale. Anything I feed outside, never a problem and they don't waste much except for a few weeds, cattails, and some grasses they don't care for.
                    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their insight. This looks like it may be a very economical and fattening solution for my boys. I think I'll order one for next week and see how it goes, I still have plenty of squares left worst case!

Comment

Feeding round bales has changed my life....I love it! I always had ideas that the horses would eat too much, there would be too much waste, and the silly notion that it was a little too...hmmm...redneckish? You have to admit, you don't exactly see many nice farms that feed round bales.

However, I breed also, and want the mares and babies to be able to eat free choice grass hay. So before foaling this past spring, I went searching for the "perfect" round bale feeder. I found something called a poly ring that is very horse friendly. It is all plastic but very durable, has fairly high sides, and doesn't have any spaces or metal for foal legs or feet to hit or get stuck in. The babies have reared on it, fell in, kicked it, etc, without a hair getting out of place.

I don't feed in the sheds. I also don't have a problem with the hay going bad. When it rains or snows, only the top few inches get wet, and the horses will eat that in a day or two. I live in a relatively dry climate.

One small problem we've encountered is that one of the mares loves to bury her head as deep as she can in the hay. For a little while she was getting a little wheezy and coughed during work. This disappeared as soon as we switched her to a round bale feeder that was more open at the bottom, to allow for better airflow. The horses all look....um, healthy, but not fat by any means.

Winter chores have been the best they've ever been. No lugging small bales, no hay stuck in my hair or socks, and no foul words directed at my husband as we unload a few hundred small bales into the barn. For us, it's a bit more expensive, but well worth it just in time saved.
                        www.newstandardsporthorses.com

Comment

About 2 weeks ago I bought the poly ring that Krallen mentioned. The horses love the constant feed and the 1st 3 days didn't move from it.

So far I love not feeling like I have to rush home to feed and even skipping a meal won't kill them. I hope it holds up under our hot sun next summer.

Comment

I have a round bale feeder and I love it. Really keeps the wasting down. I want the poly ring, but its just out of the budget right now!

I wish my horses would take 3 weeks to go thru a round! Its more like 3 days around here But then again they are out on it 24/7 and they are all huge WBs!
                            www.simplicityweimaraners.ca

Comment

I have the Better Than Nothing round bale feeder. It's basically a circle, made of 4 pieces of recycled rubber. I LOVE IT!!

it weighs 80 lbs., I can flip it on it's side and roll it, then drop it over a new roll by myself, you don't need a tractor to move it, It's great.I heard about it on COTH a few years ago and got one. You can also use the quarters in a corner ofa stall if you wanted.

I agree with many who stated that it seemd a bit "redneckish" to feed rolls, but once I realized that the rolls and the squares I thought were better came from the same field I got over it.
                              A roll lasts me about a week now with 6 horses on it, longer in the summer when I have grass. And it is much cheaper for me to feed a roll than it is squares, at least the way I feed. It's almost 1/3 cheaper.
                              I still keep squares for in the stalls and the trailers but in the pasture they get rolls. I haven't had a bit of problem with one yet.
                              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

We feed round bales from Nov to the first of April. We go thru 6/month (5 horses). They have all day access to them. It's long strand clean pure grass hay, no weed, inside stored, never been weathered. $15/big bale!!! It really helps to get my expenses down and put the money where I more importantly need it.

I absolutely LOVE the freedom they give us. I can sleep in some mornings when I can and not give it a thought. Sunday mornings with the paper and coffee and still in my pjs! We can safely be gone for a day, or more if I have someone just come to check on them (and we have Nelson waterers).

We put them in the corners of the run-ins. Gramps sets them up off the ground on a pallet. Then he ties two pallets around the fronts, they are set in a deep corner, and he ties them to the walls. As the rounds are eaten down he tightens the pallets. (have done this for the past 5 yrs and have never had a horse get hurt on the pallets, including babies, maybe they learned to be smart about it too) At the end we remove the pallets in front and let them finish off the bale. We do have a regular round bale feeder out in a field and we drop a bale out there after the ground has frozen for them to have pasture movement without badly tearing up the fields.

I feed higher quality alfalfa squares a.m/p.m to the growing youngsters. But the snack bar works to keep them happy and their systems moving 24/7. And move they do -- all that hay makes for a lot more poop .
                                Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

How about round bales for horses that aren't out 24/7. Mine go out in groups of two (although the 2 yearlings do indeed live outside) for 10-12 hours a day. My fields are a bit of a walk from the barn and lugging hay down to them every evening is such a pain. Especially since one is blind and when she's trying to find the hay she'll walk all over it which leads to lots of waste.

Do you think the bale would go bad too fast only being snacked on for part of the day? Do any of you have issues with it getting moldy when you have a really rainy season (like the one we're having). Mostly I'm just looking to reduce my waste, save time and money.
                                  Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
                                  http://darkstr.webs.com

Comment

Even if the bale is only snacked on for part of the day, they really don't seem to go bad very quickly. When we were out on the land, I had one horse and a pony, and they only went through about a round bale every three weeks (on pasture). Even if I threw them a new one before they were finished with the old, they would "clean up" the leftovers on the old one and only leave about a bale or so of "waste" that was mainly stem. Of course, my mare was a pig, and I fed on two different spots that were graveled since my guys were barefoot, so YMMV.

Comment

We grow and store our own hay. Squares are stored in the barn as are some rounds, but we just don't have room for it all.

The rest of the round bales are stored outside and the outer layer of the round bale DOES get kind of gross looking. The inner layer is fine. Bales stored in the field last us a year for horses and more for cows. Cows are able to extract a lot more nutrients from foods than horses.

When we put the bale in the field (without a feeder) the horses tend to "eat out of the middle" and ignore the gross/crusty outer layer. This eventually becomes a "bed" for them. Good hay is rarely wasted by the two OTTBS. They take a few weeks to go through a bale. The "bad" hay that ends on the ground is their "bed" that they lay and sleep in during the day. They are in at night.

The other two horses (a large pony mix and an Arab) are much messier. They rub/itch/scratch/run through their round bale so that it is trampled down fairly quickly. They could use a round bale feeder! They take much less time to go through a bale and waste a lot more.

I would say that for us the waste is not so much an issue; we like the fact that I'm not trying to drag squares through the snow/mud year round to feed outside. DH can just drop one in the pasture with the tractor.

Comment

I just put my outside-stored round bales on the ground- no feeder. They're somewhere in the 1000# range. My three 2-year olds will eat one in a week. I have two older mares in another paddock- they get a new bale about every 2 weeks. I don't mind the waste- it gives them a really soft place to lay down, and since I feed bales in the same place all winter, it builds up a pack that stays mud-free. I just clean up the old hay pile in the spring with the loader tractor.
                                        As someone else mentioned, if you want to eliminate waste get a cow. When I had both in the same pasture, there was hardly any waste- the cows ate what the horses wouldn't. And eventually I had a freezer full of beef!

Comment

Working...
                                        X