• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SPCA won't adopt out dog because we have horses? UPDATE: He's home! Pics post 112 :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPCA won't adopt out dog because we have horses? UPDATE: He's home! Pics post 112 :)

We found the cutest little dog (JRT mix) that looks like he could be related to our current JRT mix. He's at the local SPCA, we went and looked at him, filled out adoption forms, etc.

Get a call today. We're not getting him because we have horses and our entire property isn't fenced.

We said we would keep him on a leash until he's trained (he's 1.5 years). And we don't allow them to go in the fields. Other horses are fine with the our dog. Plus we have a good sized piece of property, so it's not like he's going to be playing right next to a busy road. Busiest road is more than a mile away and it's not even that busy..

Is this just our SPCA being dumb? Or have you guys ran into problems getting dogs because of your farm?

It makes me so mad that they have these dogs that desperately need homes and will be put down if no one wants them. A perfectly good home comes along and they don't adopt them out.

Grr. Rant over.
    Last edited by mybeau1999; Nov. 29, 2009, 04:21 PM.
    BDC

Personally I would raise a big stink. A few years ago we had something similar. We went to go adopt a dog from the SPCA in the neighboring county. Mind you I have raised a ton of dogs and we currently had 4 dogs, three of them on the elderly end.

I am there with my daughter and filled out the application. The woman behind the desk says "Is there a Mr. R?". What bearing does that have. I said "Yes and he's seen the dog". When she sees that we have 4 dogs, she say, get this, "You will have to bring your other dogs here and we have to see them interact with the dog before we make up our mind". I just looked at her and said "are you out of your frigging mind?" I have three elderly dogs, all rescues and TWO from this shelter! Bringing them here would cause them unbelieveable stress.

Then I simply said "I will be calling the exectutive Director on Monday, thank you very much".

We got the dog.

Comment

That seems really strange for a breed that is known for being around horses, and you have experience with a breed that can be difficult for people that don't know them. I have only heard of 1 other person being turned down when it was found they had horses and property but it was for a site hound, so thats a whole different ball of wax.

Comment

Talk to the vet techs who work for your veterinarian.
        I wanted to find a dog to replace our previous one who
        we lost to heart failure in her teens. I checked with the
        humane societies and they would not adopt to a farm
        dog life. OK, so now what. Mentioned to the vet that
        I ought to get a new dog and her tech took me aside
        and explained that there was a "community" of vet
        techs in my area who tried to place dogs. I now have
        a nice spayed bitch who started life in a regional Indian
        Reservation but could not be provided for there any longer.
        Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
        Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

• Original Poster

Just talked to the Executive Director - talk about rude. I explained that if keeping the dog on a leash and away from the horses meant that he would be adopted - we'd be more than happy to do that.

She just launched about how they go by what we put down on the initial application because that's what we're really going to do with the dog. No, it's not, we can change how we handle him. PS what dog wants to live it's life on the end of a leash anyway?

When I mentioned our current dog staying on our property and not bothering/being bothered by the horses, that sealed the deal of us not getting him. And I quote "the pack instinct will kick in and they'll both run into the street and be killed by a car". Sure... if your train your dog so it doesn't have a good recall.

So much for trying to save a dog, now we'll go buy something I suppose.
          BDC

Comment

Originally posted by mybeau1999 View Post
            Just talked to the Executive Director - talk about rude. I explained that if keeping the dog on a leash and away from the horses meant that he would be adopted - we'd be more than happy to do that.

She just launched about how they go by what we put down on the initial application because that's what we're really going to do with the dog. No, it's not, we can change how we handle him. PS what dog wants to live it's life on the end of a leash anyway?

When I mentioned our current dog staying on our property and not bothering/being bothered by the horses, that sealed the deal of us not getting him. And I quote "the pack instinct will kick in and they'll both run into the street and be killed by a car". Sure... if your train your dog so it doesn't have a good recall.

So much for trying to save a dog, now we'll go buy something I suppose.

Please don't take one organization's rudeness and lack of flexibleness to color the whole of the rescue world!

One thing about Petfinder, DogsInDanger, email blasts, etc is that the pictures and story reel you in to want a particular dog. And yet, it works better the other way round. Check with local rescues, vets, other shelters and find a group that thinks YOU are gonna be a great home because you are responsible doggie parents. Then let them help find a dog for you!

Win-win. Doggie gets saved and you don't have to deal with folks who are (IMHO) only borderline better than hoarders sometimes.

If you don't have any contacts, PM me! I have a rescue and work with other small private groups and we all know that good adopters come from all kinds of homes/backgrounds... just as the dogs do.
            HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Chester's Mom - I was actually just cruising around Petfinder while I wait for our farrier to get here

We still want to rescue something... the "guess we'll have to buy something" came out of my POed-ness with the SPCA.

If we don't see anything - I'll send you a PM for sure
              BDC

Comment

I found both my dogs on Petfinder...great source of available dogs!

I have some experience with rescues and their rules; my sister runs a cat rescue and I sometimes butt heads with her. She has turned down people for all kinds of reasons. With all the homeless pets in the world, I think rescues need to be a little flexible in their adoption terms!

None of the rescues I have adopted from have minded that I don't have a fenced yard or that I have horses. I think they have seen this as a positive; that someone is truly committed to having animals and taking care of them.

Best of luck on Petfinder...I hope you find the perfect JRT!!

Comment

To the OP - I would just tell them "fine, guess I'll have to go get one from a backyard puppy mill". Our humane society will adopt to anyone who gives them money. They just have too many animals to be picky. As for me, no rescue will let me adopt because I don't have a fenced yard. Doesn't matter that I've shown dogs to multiple obedience titles, frequently attend training classes, have taught obedience classes, etc. All my dogs have been given to me before going through a rescue because I have a reputation locally as the "heeler lady". Cattle dogs and I just click.
                  Crayola Posse - Pine Green
                  Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
                  Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
                  Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

Check out Danny and Ron's rescue... they are horsepeople who adopt many, many wonderful dogs to other horsepeople. They rock.

http://dannyandronsrescue.com/

ETA: check out "Zipper" under the "puppy" section... he is TOO cute!!! JRT/Poodle mix???
                    Last edited by KPF; Nov. 24, 2009, 03:02 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Our animal control shelter only can keep dogs three days, so if you are at all normal, not someone that looks like looking for dogs to fight, you can get most any dog adopted very easily, as that gives the dog one more chance.
                      Of course, no one wants to have to take the dog back or find it dumped again, but that rarely happens, because most people coming to get a dog are sensible and reasonable and not going to abuse a dog.

We have one no kill shelter locally, that gets the lion's share of donations, that tends to warehouse dogs, as they hardly ever adopt one out.

To adopt too quickly may be wrong, some dogs may end up in bad hands, but to be too strict and keep warehousing dogs is definitely not right either, when those dogs are using resources that could help so many other dogs.

I hope that you find a nice dog somewhere, where you don't have to knee and beg someone that let their power over the dog's lives get to their heads.

Comment

I had the same problem, but with trying to get cats from our local shelter. We have 12 acres, and live on a dead end street. Our barn cats are fixed, get shots, etc. They rarely roam and live long lives.

Our local shelter - in a fairly rural area, mind you, would not adopt out cats that were not going to be 'house' cats. Far better to put them to sleep because they were not adopted, than to become a barn cat.
                        Donerail Farm
                        www.donerailfarm.com
                        http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by classicsporthorses View Post
                          "You will have to bring your other dogs here and we have to see them interact with the dog before we make up our mind".
                          It may be an inconvenience, but frankly I agree with that rule and it is one that is in place with the different Humane Societies and rescues that I deal with. I would rather see the dogs interact in a neutral location BEFORE I make the commitment to a dog. I would feel worse if, after getting home, things do not work out and I had to bring the dog back.

The rules I keep reading do state that every member of the household, human or canine/feline, have to come! I really don't see the big problem.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Here is the little guy (although his page says he's a girl):
                            http://www.aacspca.org/view_animal.php?animalid=9090344

My mom and I filled out the adoption form together, so she's listed as the adopter and i'm the co-adopter. She also called the exec. director - but got a voicemail. If she doesn't get a phone call back she's going to write a letter to the editor of the county newspaper. She's irate. I know they're trying to look out for the animals best interest, but when something good comes along they should be willing to give it a chance for the animals' sakes.
                            BDC

Comment

I was wondering if you were looking at the AAC SPCA (I got my last dog from there, I haven't seen anything on the website lately that I want to go check out though).

You might get a better response if you go in person or volunteer there. I volunteered there (when I was living in Millersville) for months before I found the dog I wanted to adopt (and I feel like the adoption process was easier because they already knew me). Since you're in the area, maybe you could do that? (and then you'd get the chance to get to know the dog in the first place before you take it home).

Otherwise: there are a metric ton of dog shelters and rescues in the area, there has to be one that doesn't mind you have horses. (I'm currently on a search, myself, for a dog to adopt. Waiting on pins and needles for a response to an application I sent in.)
                              The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                              Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

There are seriously places that want you to bring "every member of the household, human or canine/feline?"

I have a cat who takes at least a month to get past "different" to even begin voting on "good" or "bad." And that's at home. In a strange situation, cats especially I can see as not giving you a fair trial.

I know my cat, and I know the most she will do is slap lightly and growl, just be royally p.o.'d at ANYTHING different. She may love it 6 months later, but the first encounter, or the first hundred, are not going to be a fair evaluation. Heck, when I got another Siamese as a kitten, it took that one nearly a year to even be seen licking her. They get along very well now, with the occasional feline eye roll on the part of the prima dona. Not one fight at any point, just a lot of one-sided growls.

When I just adopted a dog (rehomed through an individual, not a shelter), I asked strictly about her attitude toward cats, not a chaser, etc., but if I had been required to bring mine, nope, they wouldn't have been instant friends. No matter what. Impossible to say "this will/won't work" based on that. The BEST analysis on whether this will/won't work is the owner who knows the other animals well, combined with an accurate history on the current potential adoptee.

The dog has been here for about 3 weeks and is doing great. The cats are slowly warming up to her, except that one, who is still royally p.o.'d. In a few months, when she's gotten over being offended at "different," she send me a ballot and let me know whether she likes the dog or not. If not, she'll just avoid the dog.

She's an extreme case, but I actually can think of very few cats I've owned whom I could take to a new surrounding and introduce there to a totally new animal and get any kind of valid opinion for long-term relationship success between the two. Dogs maybe, but cats, nope.

Comment

Originally posted by KPF View Post
                                  Check out Danny and Ron's rescue... they are horsepeople who adopt many, many wonderful dogs to other horsepeople. They rock.

http://dannyandronsrescue.com/

ETA: check out "Zipper" under the "puppy" section... he is TOO cute!!! JRT/Poodle mix???
                                  Oh wow! I've seen articles about them before but this is the first time I've seen their website - they have some really adorable dogs!

I especially like the "yellow fluffy mix" ... awwwwww....
                                  "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                    There are seriously places that want you to bring "every member of the household, human or canine/feline?"
                                    I know that some like the dogs to meet, but I've never heard about it with cats. The SPCA I used to work at did the doggie introductions, but the cat ones they felt were too stressful. But to some dogs it's still too stressful.

Comment

Don't even get me going.

I can't adopt a cat from the KILL shelter in the city because I give my own vaccinations. (with my Vet's blessing I do almost any procedure--up to and including stitches on occaision... )

I HATE the ASPCA shelters around here.

Instead, I have hooked up with the PDs who take strays to other kill shelters... and guess what, I don't even have to PAY for the privilege of getting a kitty that's due for the big blue shot. I can make a donation, of course, but they are happy to get an animal a home when it's time is up.
                                      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
                                        As for me, no rescue will let me adopt because I don't have a fenced yard. Doesn't matter that I've shown dogs to multiple obedience titles, frequently attend training classes, have taught obedience classes, etc. All my dogs have been given to me before going through a rescue because I have a reputation locally as the "heeler lady". Cattle dogs and I just click.

MM- my rescue would adopt to you. We adopt to folks who have a plan to exercise the dogs according to the dog's needs.... We believe in common sense! Many other groups do to, although in my experience its more often found in small independent groups than those with BODs that have hard and fast rule lists to follow.

I do love Petfinder and we use it ourselves but it does make it waaaaay to easy for some folks to look 'rescue-y' when they don't let dogs go. I know two rescues near me personally who have literally dozens of dogs kept in crates in their homes and yet its like prying teeth to get them to even talk to an adopter. No one is good enough!

And don't even get me started on the local animal control groups who euth rather than let a rescue pull a dog!

OP- best of luck and be sure and update us when you are a new "mommy"!
                                        Last edited by Chester's Mom; Nov. 24, 2009, 05:22 PM. Reason: to make it clear we're not the only ones....
                                        HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Comment

Working...
                                        X