• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

This time the "hunters" get caught and charged

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time the "hunters" get caught and charged

So For the past few years my parents have dealt with finding shot deer in the pasture. The neighbors caught someone shooting from the road last year into the pasture. A doe was later found.

This past week (before opening day) my mom gets a call from her sister that lives next door that she had just witnessed a person shoot into the pasture from their truck, run into the pasture then take off. My mom is given the make of the truck and the direction they went (my parents live on a very lightly traveled dirt road).

My mom jumps into her truck gets behind the named truck (she said they were still road hunting at this time) She writes down the plate. This is where I told her she was a little crazy they pull over to let her pass she gets next to them windows down and yells things that I can't repeat on a forum. They proceed to tell her that they would never do such a thing.

Once back home she and her sister call DEC give all information. They came and got a statement and will be charging the guys. Come to find out the driver Is a cop in the city and was at his "camp" for the weekend ( their camp is a $100,000+ weekend home).

My mom walked the pasture to see if they shot anything but nothing was found. Each year before hunting season my parents walk the property and put up new posted signs. Their fence is right at the road they would have to climb it to even get a deer out.

My parents have had some hard times over the years with hunters and horses. Years ago at a self care boarding barn where my mom pastured her horses, a hunter (with permission from the BO) left the gate open and her horse was hit by a car after getting out Horse was euth. and my mom was sued.

I have nothing against hunting actually DH and my dad are out hunting together right now. But there is a difference between the safe hunters and the ones that are just out looking for an easy kill.

Hunting? I don't think "hunting" applies any more to the aberration it's become. Men in the most outrageous camo garb sitting in trees (deer stands) with the latest in technology overlooking baited (formerly/recently) fields and just hang out and await a target. Or the shooting of a wayward deer from a vehicle driving along a road. They use dogs in some areas to flush and run them to the shooters. There is no hunting to it. They simply find the easier course of action to kill something by using the least effort. The weekend warriors have no respect for boudaries, property or other living creatures. Apparently it's some sort of testosterone rush of power to kill something. It's disgusting. We have had problems on our farm off and on, not so much now though. We back up to a wooded area with alot of wildlife (and great trails!) and have had hunters encroach.
    Pe

Comment

We allowed a father & son to 'hunt deer' on our property several weeks ago. They were very respectful of where to setup so they would NOT be firing in the direction of any home or horse pasture.
      Funny thing is even though we have loads of deer around us, they chose to either not come out or even worse - stay only in the 'no-fire' areas.
      A couple of days after our guests left, the deer were back to their normal patterns. Until marrying a hunter I did not realize just how difficult it is to find deer, much less have them stand in a position so you have a chance for a clean,kill shot. The deer are very aware of their surroundings and have a very acute sense of smell. Meaning many of the good hunters spend countless hours sitting looking for deer who never appear or are out of range or position for shooting.

Glad your Mom is ok and those guys are being charged. Hopefully she will leave it getting the tag number if there is a next time.
      "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
      Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

Originally posted by TKR View Post
        Hunting? I don't think "hunting" applies any more to the aberration it's become. Men in the most outrageous camo garb sitting in trees (deer stands) with the latest in technology overlooking baited (formerly/recently) fields and just hang out and await a target. Or the shooting of a wayward deer from a vehicle driving along a road. They use dogs in some areas to flush and run them to the shooters. There is no hunting to it. They simply find the easier course of action to kill something by using the least effort. The weekend warriors have no respect for boudaries, property or other living creatures. Apparently it's some sort of testosterone rush of power to kill something. It's disgusting. We have had problems on our farm off and on, not so much now though. We back up to a wooded area with alot of wildlife (and great trails!) and have had hunters encroach.
        Pe
        Good post. There's a vast difference between the "sporting" hunters who walk the woods and the drunks who let the dogs run deer out to them (or have tree stands over baited fields...down here the drunks fall out of their tree stands.) Today, with the split deer hunting season, a big deer hound got totaled on the hwy to the barn. More deer and deer dogs get totaled on the highways here than get shot in the woods.

Comment

While I totally don't get the bait-em and shoot-em thing that some forms of "hunting" have taken, there certainly are hunters out there who are thoughtful, conservation-minded, and have a great deal of respect for the animals they're hunting and the land.

We're surrounded by hunters, both types. I'd say the yahoo-type that just likes to shoot things slightly outnumbers the true sportsmen, but you certainly can't stereotype all of them with the same broad definition.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Ah yes. The beginning of Hell Season.

Here, men sit in lawn chairs on the side of the road after releasing their dogs to run through yours and your neighbors properties, which total hundreds of acres.

I have seen as many as seven "men" standing in a field as dogs are running deer towards them. So sporting. Funny thing is they usually miss, or shoot a dog. If they shoot a deer and it keeps on running they just sit back down. Damn if they are going to try to find it, that would be work. You can take one look at those men and know, no athletic event is going to take place.

After dark they drive around in trucks for an hour or so looking for their dogs. I have a clue for them - GET OUT OF THE TRUCK DUMBASS, YOU CANNOT SEE (OR HEAR) THE DOG FROM INSIDE THE TRUCK. We certainly can hear them.. all night long, until they freeze or starve to death.

They lose a few every time, no worries, they are never neutered or spayed so they can make more. Those dogs usually freeze to death or starve to death here, because they are totally unsocialized animals that do not trust people and will not come to you even when they are starving and freezing to death. Last week I felt so bad, my dogs beat the hell out of some lost hound dog that was on our property, I could not get to them quick enough to stop them. I suppose they get killed by people's dogs and we see lots of them that are hit by cars.

Sporting hunters? You don't see them, because they are quietly going about hunting in a humane and truly sporting way. They are out there and I applaud them.. it's not the hunting itself I have an issue with.. it's the blatant disregard for other people's property, other people's rights to not have to deal w/their animals (so much fun to have a pack of lost deer hounds circling in your woods at night, they sound like they have been eviscerated the way they scream) and the animal abuse that results from their "hunting".

To the OP, please tell your mom to be careful. My local game warden has told me to not, for any reason, confront any person w/a gun. I have his phone number and that is what I am supposed to use, no matter how outraged I am. He says it's simply not safe.

Talking to one of my neighbors last week and he commented that if you report them and they find out it was you, that you can expect your animals to be shot and dead carcasses to be dumped on your property. Nice.

Yesterday I was driving and there was a dead deer HEAD on the side of the road... guess they didnt want that part...
            "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
            ---
            The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I am 'lucky' enough to live in a part of the state where hunting is prohibited on public land. Still, I hear gunshots that sound close enough to make me worry. I once asked a cop what to do if I ever encountered a hunter on public land (which, by the way, my property abuts) and he said basically the same thing, don't confront someone with gun in his hand. Call and report the incident and just maybe, they'll be able to track them down.
              R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
              36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
              5/5/75-7/5/11

Comment

I hate Bambi and his Lyme disease carrying self.

Unsafe shooting is bad, whoever does it.

But, to be honest, the deer are so overpopulated around here, I wish they would authorize a season of Spotlighting in areas with clear area behind. Rather like the "crop damage control" permits that farmers got near my old house.

I know this is unpopular, but the deer are rats with hooves in my region. The body shops love them though.

I recently bagged one...with the dually + horse trailer. Nice young buck. I'd rather not count 50+ deer on a 6 mile stretch of road coming home at night. I want my pasture for my horses.

I want less deer around. A LOT less deer.

From Cornell:
                http://wildlifecontrol.info/deer/Pag...tionFacts.aspx

In the early 1900's there were an estimated 500,000 white-tailed deer in the United States. Unregulated commercial hunting and subsistence hunting threatened to eliminate the white-tailed deer from much of its range. At that time, many state wildlife agencies were formed with the goal of conserving the nation's depleted wildlife resources. Hunting regulations were put into place, and the harvest of antlerless (female) deer was prohibited. The rebound of white-tailed deer populations that followed is considered a wildlife management success story. Today there are over 20 million deer in the United States and numbers are rising.
                I wish there were safer ways to eliminate these pests.

I don't personally hunt, own a gun, or particularly care for venison, but I wish I had a location to offer hunters. I'd encourage baiting personally as it would be safer in a more suburban area. At this point, I'd like to see the population controlled and could care less about the sporting aspect of it.

A bit like that study on foxhunting in Britain a few years ago. A lot of foxes needed to die to maintain a steady and healthy population. How they would be killed was the question.

Comment

There are loonies everywhere, I guess. Around here the guys who live here and have permission to hunt on private land (often on their neighbors' land) are downright courteous, responsible and intelligent about their hunting. The opening weekend yahoos who show up from everywhere and run wild? Not so much. Even the regular local hunters will rant endlessly about the idiot hunters if you get them started.

Comment

Aren't mice the initial vector for ticks carrying lyme?
                    ---
                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

mice and rats carry most of the diseases that other animals are "blamed" for.
                      And ticks. I think ticks should be hunted down and killed, every one of them. I use skinsosoft to keep ticks off of horses.

Comment

Good for your mama! She did exactly the right thing.

We don't have problems here anymore with irresponsible hunters, because we landowners watch them and make sure they're doing the right thing. If they're not, we report them, or chase them down and read them the riot act, or both.

EqT - around here, one looks for hounds from inside the truck, because (I guess) that's where the gizmo is that transmits the signal from the radio collars. Hounds are a little flighty when they get separated from the pack - but so is any lost dog. Even housepets. They get disoriented and panicky. Anyway, for stray hounds I just put out kibble and a warm bed and by morning they've usually figured out which direction home is.
                        I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                          Good for your mama! She did exactly the right thing.

We don't have problems here anymore with irresponsible hunters, because we landowners watch them and make sure they're doing the right thing. If they're not, we report them, or chase them down and read them the riot act, or both.

EqT - around here, one looks for hounds from inside the truck, because (I guess) that's where the gizmo is that transmits the signal from the radio collars. Hounds are a little flighty when they get separated from the pack - but so is any lost dog. Even housepets. They get disoriented and panicky. Anyway, for stray hounds I just put out kibble and a warm bed and by morning they've usually figured out which direction home is.
                          Rarely does a hound show up here w/the collar device on I think that is too sophisticated for this crowd. No, driving up and down the road, enjoying a beverage, hoping a dog will wander out... yep, that's how they "find" them.

I have had responsible guys come to my house sheepishly to tell me their radio controlled device says their hounds are behind my house.. uh huh, I could have told you that because I have two ears that work nonetheless I am kind to them for caring about their dogs and respecting my property. The others.. need to get out of their truck and try using their feet!
                          ---

Comment

That's not hunting, that's poaching. It's also illegal to shoot from the road even if you have permission to hunt that particular land.

I don't care about a few dead deer (rats with antlers, and you can't blame bovine TB or chronic wasting disease on the mice), but you only shoot where you're supposed to shoot. The laws are there to keep people from getting hurt when someone shoots where they're not supposed to.
                            Author Page
                            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I've got absolutely nothing against using hounds to hunt deer, any more than I have about using dogs to hunt rabbit, coon, or fox. That's what the dogs have been created by humans to do. The hounds don't hurt the land they run over, and it's absolutely certain that they will never catch a deer.

Why are you guys so anti hunting with hounds? I can remember when I was a kid, we used to have people who rode to hounds while deer hunting.
                              "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                              Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I don't have a problem with the dogs, I have a problem with people shooting from the road (illegal) at deer on land where they don't have permission to hunt (also illegal.) The guys near my parents who run coon dogs ASK before they run them on someone else's land.
                                Author Page
                                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Bow hunters are the worst. We used to have a neighbor who gave hunting permission to a very responsible bow hunter who knew how to shoot what he was aiming at. For years, he hunted on her property, and we had no problems. Now, we have been overrun by bow hunters who hunt without permission in our back yards. We live in a neighborhood of 5 acre lots. We found an arrow this weekend where our horses like to stand, not far from our back door. The neighbor across the street had someone shoot a deer in her horse pasture, next to her foals. She was also in the yard. Three other neighbors have found dead deer next to their houses. Another neighbor keeps seeing a deer with an arrow stuck in his nose.

Unfortunately, Fairfax County allows bow hunting. We have posted our neighborhood with lots of yellow no hunting signs, but there isn't much we can do to stop the hunters. Deer often are wounded instead of killed, and die a slow death from infection. Neighbors are tired of cleaning up dead deer from our suburban yards. We are tired of worrying about being shot by arrows. Bow hunting is apparently legal until the middle of spring.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                    I've got absolutely nothing against using hounds to hunt deer, any more than I have about using dogs to hunt rabbit, coon, or fox. That's what the dogs have been created by humans to do. The hounds don't hurt the land they run over, and it's absolutely certain that they will never catch a deer.

Why are you guys so anti hunting with hounds? I can remember when I was a kid, we used to have people who rode to hounds while deer hunting.
                                    Personally? I don't want to live in what sounds like a fox hunt. Heck, my neighbor who fox hunts cannot stand it either. The noise, the disruption to your daily life and work - it's not insignificant. I am sure each hunter thinks "oh, it's just one day I am out here!" but there are lots and lots of them - I expect an absolute barrage of dog noise from day one - and actually it starts early, as some of them like to "practice" running their dogs".

I have a creek bed that runs the length of my property. The other side is another horse farm. Of course deer run down the creekbed. Of course I have a perimeter fence. Of course they cut the fence to let them in. Of course dogs don't backtrack to find how to get out. They just run in circles, baying.

The other factor, as I mentioned, is the dogs still being here after they leave. This is a serious problem around here. We will end up catching a few of them this winter and calling animal control but the rest will run around baying for days.. weeks.. joining up into packs.. until they starve or freeze. Year before last was bitterly cold here, there was little baying after a few nights of 20 degrees plus a nasty wind chill. It's sad and kind of - well, sick, IMO. Drive to someone elses land, turn your dogs loose, leave the ones you cannot find and call it a day. They are clearly considered disposable dogs. My neighbor routinely shoots them when he can get a clear shot but it's hard when you are surrounded by horses, kids and other farms.

Every once in while one will show up and my dogs don't go after it.. one was FAT as a tick and OLD... it would have been funny if it had not been sad... exhausted dog, just wanted to lay on the porch and sleep another one a few weeks ago was young and so thin, not just hound thin but skin and bones.. cowering and peeing all over itself when you approached it..

the whole thing just makes me ill. I have complete respect for people who hunt skillfully and sportingly. I hunted as a kid; it's not easy to make a clean kill and tracking something you effed up on is a necessary, unpleasant evil. Hunting with dogs makes it too easy IMO, for people to just be incredibly slack in the name of hunting. They show up, have fun for a day and we get to clean up their mess.

If they want to do this they should buy their own land and do it where they cannot affect anyone else.
                                    ---

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post

WHY? Here's why:
                                      Because here in N Central Fla, every year, there are emaciated "lost" dogs wandering the road - esp HWY 19 north of Dunellon towards Cedar Key - after "dog season". Some have collars. Some are dead on the side of the road.

I have seen them.

L

Comment

But that's irresponsible hunters, not hunting with hounds. Irresponsible hunters are everywhere, not just dog hunters.

I'm sure that for every hunter who drives out drunk leaving hounds behind, there are some who stay for long hours and days searching for their lost hounds. That's one reason radio collars are such a Godsend.
                                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
                                        X