• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Teaching a farm dog boundaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching a farm dog boundaries

I have a 2.5 year old English shepherd (think mellow boder collie). He is a great dog. Hangs with me at the boarding barn, loves kids, does some tricks, does agility. So he is not an untrained run amok type of dog.
    But when I do chores in my own barn he wanders off. We live on 25 acres abutting BLM land. Which of course during this time of year becomes littered with elk carcasses. Plus we have deer and wild turkey wander through. There is a lot to distract a young boy.
    I don't really mind if he isn't glued to my side as long as he stays on our property, but because it is not all fenced with dog proof fence he tend to slip through the paddock fence and wanders onto the BLM land.
    What can I do besides do a mesh fence along all 25 acres, or chain him to a cinder block, to make him understand that he needs to keep his little ES butt on the inside of the fence.
    Last edited by Bluehorsesjp; Nov. 18, 2009, 01:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Invisible Fence has CHANGED my life. I have a Very Bad Beagle who was taking my young Lab out on day-long jaunts (we have 200 acres) it was making me CRAZY. The VBB can do whatever she wants, she is smart and savvie and old but the Lab is none of those things and NEEDS to stay home. So we fenced off about an acre around the house and barn, then just trained the Lab. She is the only one (of 4 dogs) on the fence and it is fantastic. Expensive at first but when I can open the door and let all 4 out, knowing the Lab will not be taken off on a run, it all becomes worth it.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Tie a pot roast to your butt!

(Sorry, I had to say it. I have no advise worth trying but Im in a slappy mood today)
      ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

also a fan of invisible fence. Cost us $300 and two hours of light work to "fence" a large, wooded property; three weeks of training; dogs are safe. Once the dogs are fully trained to the boundaries they won't cross them even if the fence fails for some reason; we had to take ours off-line for three weeks once for construction and the pooches never noticed. People who complain these fences "don't work" skipped or skimped on the training process.

Comment

These are smart dogs, like their sister breed Border Collies. I don't believe you need to install anything, you just need to walk your boundary line with your dog on a frequent basis for a few weeks and then he should get it. If after this he still really isn't getting it (which I would be astounded if he didn't) then just run a low line of electric tape along your fenceline where he escapes. One zap will likely be enough. I personally favor the boundary walking though.

Comment

yeah right, like "walking boundaries" will work. You know how many border collies who have wandered out of open gates, jumped fences, dug out, or simply ditched their owners, I've been asked to help look for? bottom line if you don't have some kind of fence around your property your dog, regardless of breed, had better remain on a leash at all times. Otherwise someone's going to be on here complaining and SSS will be inflicted on your dog.

Comment

Two words:
              INVISIBLE FENCING!
              SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
              Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
              The Barkalicious Bakery
              On Facebook!!!

Comment

I've had sheepdogs all of my life and every single one has been perfectly capable of understanding, and not going further than, their boundaries. Wendy you must have met an awful lot of idiots in your time then as collies are by far and away one of the easiest breeds of dogs to train.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you have to actually bury the Invisible Fence for it to work. Most people do, because they want it to be invisible, but if you already have some kind of fencing for your horses, you can just run the Invisible Fence as a line on the bottom of your fence and it will still work quite well - but without all the digging or ditchwitching.
                  Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                  Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

• Original Poster

well to not have to bury invisible fencing with winter coming on would be fantastic. I could do a smaller area than the whole acreage-think rocky tree filled hillside.

Cloverbarley- when walking the property boundary do you correct if the dog looks or tries to go outside the boundary?
                    Also when I trail ride with the dog we go out the gate and into the blm land. I know he is super smart and should be able to differentiate trail ride vs. hanging out on my own time, but I wonder if I blurred the boundary so to speak.
                    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
                      well to not have to bury invisible fencing with winter coming on would be fantastic. I could do a smaller area than the whole acreage-think rocky tree filled hillside.
                      You could use horse electric rope/tape. It would work just as well.

Cloverbarley- when walking the property boundary do you correct if the dog looks or tries to go outside the boundary?
                      Yes. Each and every time. Not harshly or anything, just a "tscht" and sidepull (if on a leash), or a "tscht" and call dog back if not on a leash.
                      Also when I trail ride with the dog we go out the gate and into the blm land. I know he is super smart and should be able to differentiate trail ride vs. hanging out on my own time, but I wonder if I blurred the boundary so to speak.
                      It shouldn't be an issue. These dogs are smart. Yes they know the difference between going onto this land WITH you, and it not being acceptable for them to go alone. Give it a go - you have nothing to lose and it costs you nowt. Try the boundary walks, even just twice a day, and if your dog doesn't get it within a set time (say 2 weeks) then put up your electric fence and then see if that makes a difference. If you go for invisible fence you still have to teach them about it, however it will cost you money, so try without first.

PS. I think invisible fencing is a great invention, so don't think I am dissing it; it's just that I know sheepdogs well and I know they are very intelligent and providing the owner gives the right input they are usually very receptive to instruction.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Cloverbarley,
                        He is a super smart dog. I usually just have to show him something once or twice and if I am clear he gets it. Any mistakes he makes really are because I was not clear.
                        I am a bit reluctant to try an electric fence because he is such a soft dog. A shock would unhinge him for sure.
                        I'll try the boundary training and let you know how it works out.

Here is a picture of him
                        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=572522957

Comment

He's very handsome.

Depending on trainer and dog, you can *sometimes* install some reasonable boundary training. Most people can't even get a dog who sits reliably on command, however, so no wonder there are so many dogs who aren't reliable.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/boundary-training

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by citydog View Post
                            He's very handsome.

Depending on trainer and dog, you can *sometimes* install some reasonable boundary training. Most people can't even get a dog who sits reliably on command, however, so no wonder there are so many dogs who aren't reliable.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/boundary-training
                            Well he does sit, down, give me 5, turn around, back up... well you get the idea. Even his recall is pretty darn good if he is within ear shot, and super fast if he can see me.
                            He is just so darn fast with those long legs once you turn your back.
                            Thanks awfully for the link.

Comment

you don't have to bury the invisible fence; ours is sitting on the ground through the woods and has been for years. I think anyone who thinks "walking the boundaries" is enough should have their dogs seized NOW cause dogs don't understand such things when owner is not present. Only an idiot would think the dog would "stay in" when owner is busy in the barn or whatever. I have enough "border collie went missing" searches to convince me that good fencing is necessary. If you decide to own a dog, you have to make sure the dog is safe.

Comment

I'm aware you enjoy arguing Wendy, however I can't be bothered to argue with you.

Bluehorsesjp; I can categorically state that none of my mine, including the ones I have now, leave my property without me; and my dogs have, and always have had, total free run of my property all day and every day. When I take them out riding with me, they come if I say they can come, and stay if I tell them to stay, and never have they gone on their own, not even when they can see me riding on land which is not owned by me ... because they know the difference. I taught all of them by walking boundaries at a young age. Lovely looking dog, by the way, such fabulous long legs . Best of luck.

Comment

really?
                                  I can categorically state that none of my mine, including the ones I have now, leave my property without me;
                                  you have what, video cams on them at all times? sorry your advice is ridiculous. Hordes of dogs never "leave the property" when under observation but happily go off when not. I suspect yours do as well. Bottom line you don't have a physical containment strategy you have no business owning a dog. Good thing my dog is trained to search n rescue the dogs you idiots feel free to let loose. Call me WHEN your dog doesn't show up. Or perhaps a fence?

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
                                    think anyone who thinks "walking the boundaries" is enough should have their dogs seized NOW cause dogs don't understand such things when owner is not present. Only an idiot would think the dog would "stay in" when owner is busy in the barn or whatever.
                                    I really disagree with this. My dogs are Jack Russells and will always stay home, even if I go downtown and leave them. There is about a 1/4 mile to the road, but I can confidently leave them and they are fine - as long as the barn is open so they can shelter.

They get a lot of exercise, are fed correctly and are mentally calm and relaxed, but they are still JRTs!

My bitch learnt this behaviour from a JRT/Corgi cross rescue that belonged to my boss and she in turn has passed it down to her son. The rescue dog was great as she really clung to home. As a result, my dogs will happily potter about when I am around the farm and will both every so often come and find me, check I'm there and wander off again. They kind of think it's their responsibility to check for me and not the other way around - both when puppy training were taught this (neither are ever on a leash unless absolutely necessary - ie walking XC course while horses competing). If they got ahead of me I'd turn and walk the other way, or hide from them, so when they realised they had not checked where I was going, they had to come find me.

I agree that many people aren't so lucky but please don't call everyone who happens to have well behaved dogs idiots. BTW my dogs are 11 and 5 years old...

Comment

My final comment to you Wendy; yes I do actually have CCTV here and no my dogs (2 sheepdogs, 1 Akbash, 1 Maremma and 1 Malinois) do not wander off property unaccompanied.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wendy,

I just wanted to clarify that I am not the type of dog owner you think I am. ie. irresponsible and should have my dogs taken away- sorry that is pretty insulting. My dogs, all three of them are with me or in the house or the little dog yard we have. They are not left to roam the property for hours unsupervised. We do not open the door in the morning and call them in at night.
                                        If my ES is missing for 5 minutes or out less I am calling and looking for him. If I have to walk out into the BLM land and pull him of the elk carcass I will. He is not allowed to roam, nor has he ever been missing for more than 20 minutes. He just sometimes takes off when your back is turned. So far because I am aware that he has left I am on top of it right away and get him back with me very quickly. It would just make my life easier if he stayed closer. And I would like to not watch him come trotting back from the BLM land.
                                        My other 2 dogs, an older lab and an extremely attached mixed breed stay with me and do not leave the property. They will never get a shot to leave it while unattended because they are always supervised.
                                        I will not need your services to come find my missing dog, but thank you for offering.

Comment

Working...
                                        X