• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is *WRONG* with people?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is *WRONG* with people?????

OK, I don't usually complain about others on here...but for the 2nd time this year someone has dumped off their unwanted cats on me (or my farm). Last time it was a sweet, pregnant, black cat and this time it is two little orange kittens (on a 41 degree, cold, rainy day).

So I ask--what is wrong with people? What makes anyone think it is OK to dump a poor animal in strange surroundings with no provisions for the animals care, in a place where they are just as likely to get hit, killed by another animal or starve to death? Why is it that it becomes *MY* responsibility to spay/neuter/feed these poor abandoned souls?

I think all pets should be spayed or neutered, and if the owner can't take care of them it is their responsibilty to find a home for the pet or euthanize it.

I say we round up all the idiots that dump animals, take them downtown to the nearest big city, remove all their clothes, cell phones, credit cards, etc and abandon them downtown naked....

Yeah, a couple of months ago my mother had to take a kitten to the vet that someone literally threw out the car door as they were driving past her property. What kind of creep throws a kitten out of a car to get rid of it?!?

Thankfully for us, the local vet clinic has a homeless pet fund, and they don't have too much trouble placing kittens, so they took it in, patched it up, and one of the techs has a sister who took it home.

My current house cats are two declawed kitties that got dumped at the barn, and had no idea how to fend for themselves, too.

Yeah, it drives me nuts how many people think that just because there's a barn somewhere, it's the perfect spot for their unwanted kitties. Ugh.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Oh I hear you! At my family's farm, a miimum of 3-4 cats get dumped every year, especially around late fall. It's so heartbreaking, and so very frustrating.

There was one in particular, where my Mom saw a car stop on the road by their place, and she thought they dumped a cat. She kept looking for the cat, and kept hearing the little thing crying, but the poor kitten was so scared that she would hide whenever anyone was close. But she would cry and cry.

Finally, after about 4 weeks, the poor kitten was so starved and weak, she was trying to eat a plastic dog bone left out in the front yard, and my Mom was able to catch her. She was about 7 months old, and weighed less than 2 pounds. The vet didn't think she would survive the week.

She did survive, and is now a happy "city cat" living with me, 3 years later. But, to this day, she is beyond terrified of car rides (really fun times trying to take her to the vet, even though she likes the vet once she's there!), and whenever she gets upset, she will run straight to the food dish and eat all of the food within reach. We named her Karma, because hopefully whoever dumped that sweet girl gets the same treatment back in spades someday. I will never, ever understand how a person could do that.

Comment

In high school I had a friend who captured two feral cats (a male and a female). The female had kittens a day or so later... they kept everybody until the kittens were weaned, and then the adult cats disappeared.

I asked about it, and her mother told me that she had taken them and dumped them off at a farm in Amish country. She saw absolutely nothing wrong with doing that. (wth, REALLY?)

I was livid. And I only got more angry when all the kittens subsequently tested positive for FIV and were dead before they were a year old- how many more FIV+ kittens did those two adult cats add to the world? How many adult cats did they spread it to?

People make me mad sometimes.

Comment

We get animals dumped here occasionally. This spring a stray GSD ended up letting herself into my yard. She was a BEAUTIFUL dog. She knew how to sit, lay, shake, speak, and stay. A bit neurotic with cats, but otherwise a wonderful dog who loved her people. Not spayed, so probably was a young breeding dog (given the training).

No microchip, and no one responded to ads or reported missing a dog matching her description. Very sad for the poor dog.

Comment

In my case the unwanted kitty filled a void- my SPCA rescued shepherd cross died of cancer after only 2 months and within 2 weeks this skinny kitty was sitting on my deck. I am not a cat lover but was so sad over my loss- now after a year she is my buddy ( I call her puppy )

But i know what you mean ..

Comment

This has been going on forever. When I was a kid people would dump their dogs and cats off at the public landing 3 doors down the road. My father swore that his 2 llewellyn setters invited the animals over to our house.
              But we had to take them to the pound where they were killed.
              Right now I have Cloudy's cat, the one who was dumped off at the barn as a kitten 6 yrs ago. I brought Tobey home when he was a year old, because the eagles at the barn and the vicious Bouvier dogs that the BO bought were going to get him.
              Disposable animal society of ours.

Comment

Happens often at my old boarding barn. Jen's amassed quite a collection of felines. Thankfully, our local HS does spays/neuters quite reasonable for barn cats (and free for ferals).

This is something I am NOT looking forward to when we buy the farm.
                "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

It is due to the myth that the dumper uses to comfort themselves as they boot the animal out of the car and drive off:
                  animals need to live on a farm to be happy.

They are just trying to make sure the animal is happy. That way that don't have doubts about the morality of the abandonment.

It is pretty common everywhere (except maybe those communities so small that everyone knows who owns what).
                  Sheilah

Comment

We are having a really big problem with animal dumping this year at our barn. We haven't had any dogs yet, but this year alone we have caught 4 cats and re-homed them, and currently have 5 more that we are feeding trying to gain enough trust in to catch. Luckily we have a woman that boards at our barn that her husband is a vet. If we catch them and take them to him he will spay/neuter and post ads in his office to try and place them. 2 years ago now someone dumped 8 show rabbits at the barn. The BO and her daughter drove home one night to find all these rabbits in the road, they were obviously pets because they could walk right up to them and pick them up. We caught them, and people at the barn ended up adopting them all. My sister took one for her classroom that is seriously the sweetest rabbit in the world. The idiot dumped these rabbits in fall with clipped claws and show trims! IDIOT!!!!!

Comment

It's the "out of sight out of mind" mentality. And the most irresponsible, cruel, unkind sort of practice. People think if you live on a farm you can take in a million strays. Trouble is, who pays for them to be neutered so they don't multiply? Who pays for shots, food, shelter for these off-loaded animals? And who says the farm owner isn't a crazed animal abuser? PEOPLE DON'T THINK.
                      SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
                      Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
                      The Barkalicious Bakery
                      On Facebook!!!

Comment

My sweet 6 month old kitten got attacked by a feral tom that I'm sure someone dropped off awhile back. He got a nasty bite wound and now I have a vet bill and Junior is going through a course of anti-biotics. I've been trying to catch him and get him neutered but he managed to escape the trap the first time and now is too wiley to go in it again. Its a very frustrating problem.
                        Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

It is horrible, isn't it? Each of our pets has a story like that: the pony whose family moved away and left him behind, the ancient pin fired OTTB who hauled kids through the show ring safely for years and was heading for auction when we bought him from a boarder to save him, the collie mix whose owner dumped him in a neighborhood and drove off, the Kuvasz who was left at the shelter, the Greyhound who was 'adopted' by a crazy granddaughter for her elderly grandmother who died shortly afterward, leaving the dog in need of yet another home, the cats who were left here or we took in after hearing their sad stories.

It just never ends. My eight year old son brought one kitten home when he found the neighbor boys throwing it around because the Mom told them to 'get rid' of it. She was so typical of the ignorant human who is totally without compassion or a sense of kindness. I was so proud of my son for standing up to those bullies in training when he grabbed the kitten and ran up our driveway with it.
                          The problem is so huge and overwhelming, I try to look at it this way. Those of us who love animals and care about stewardship just do the best we can. Sadly, we can't rescue all of them or even enact fitting justice for the ones who suffer but we just do the best we can for the ones that cross our path in life.

Comment

Originally posted by LAZ View Post

I say we round up all the idiots that dump animals, take them downtown to the nearest big city, remove all their clothes, cell phones, credit cards, etc and abandon them downtown naked....
                            Nah, thats too easy. I'd rather see more pain inflicted. I hate these people!! Society has no use for animal abusers.. Get rid of them.
                            MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                            http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Originally posted by Trees4U View Post
                              In my case the unwanted kitty filled a void- my SPCA rescued shepherd cross died of cancer after only 2 months and within 2 weeks this skinny kitty was sitting on my deck. I am not a cat lover but was so sad over my loss- now after a year she is my buddy ( I call her puppy )

But i know what you mean ..
                              I am a cat lover but I had to comment that I had a similar incident about five Decembers ago in that a dump-off filled a big void in my life. On the coldest day of the season (rainy, windy and nearly freezing temps) I kept hearing a kitten mewing. I looked around the house and kept looking all day but couldn't find the kitten.

I was recovering from a horse accident that aggravated an old injury and was in a lot of pain at that time. Christmas shopping wasn't happening because I could barely walk, I had to ask my Mother to have everyone at her house because I couldn't do it, and I was very very depressed.

As it got dark, I could still hear the kitten and finally it appeared on my porch. I tried all evening long in the bitter cold to catch the kitten with no luck. I about decided she must be pretty feral and came inside to give up. At that time, I heard a sound at one of our french doors and there she was, literally scratching at the window pane. It broke my heart and I knew she couldn't be feral if she did that, just scared. So I got sneaky - I put out a saucer of warmed milk right by the door and watched the kitten literally follow her nose across the porch to the milk. Then I opened the door just a bit (by this time, it was 11:40 p.m. and it was my last attempt for the night). The kitten took me up on my offer, came thru the door and she has been here ever since. She is the MOST loving cat I've ever owned. Her sister, I discovered later, ended up at a neighbor's house and she is still living there - also a very loving cat.

She cheered me up thru Christmas and I just decided "Christy" was a keeper. http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ho-stayed.html

To answer the OP's question, it still infuriates me to think of who ever dropped off barely weaned kittens on our farm, and to do it in such horrible weather as we were having!
                              Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Ok, so now that we've justifiably ranted about it, what (if anything) can we do? I do volunteer with a cat rescue organization in the city where I live, but I mean on a specific farm-related note; is there anything that can be done to stop the dumping of unwanted animals at farm properties?

I know that there are a lot of cottages in the area where my family's farm is, and that the general belief with the full-time residents in town is that the "city people" a.k.a the cottage owners are dumping their "cottage" kittens at the end of the season.

This makes sense given that most of the dumped cats that we see are right at the end of the summer season. However, I am a "city person" myself, and would never, ever do something like that. But, is this trend something that others see too? If it' s true, is there a way to educate these idiots so that they don't think that "animals need to live on a farm to be happy", as another poster said?

Incidentally, I do have to say, if those people really thought that "they will be happier on a farm" myth was true, I would expect that they would have the nerve to bang on the door of the farm, and say "hi there! we have a cat/dog/rabbit here for you!" Funny how that never seems to happen.
                                Last edited by Serendipity; Nov. 19, 2009, 07:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I think some people don't think of animals as anything other than just nice, sometimes fun creatures that exist for human amusement and don't really count, if you know what I mean. It's kinda awful, but with people who've never had a particular bond with an animal or to people without much imagination, it seems like a common attitude. These people aren't going to be educated by a poster or an PSA. I don't think there's much you could do with them except possibly criminalize dumping and getting the police and prosecutors to really go after a few of them to set an example.

Then there are people who feel it's wrong, do it hoping that nothing bad will happen to the animal, and are furtive in large part because they know they'll get flack for it if caught. They could be discouraged by an educational approach.

Comment

I had someone put a kitten inside my horse trailer, with a can of food, while I was at work, and drive away.

It was a hot late summer day and luckily I got home while it was still weakly mewing.

Might ruffle feathers, but I think more people need to accept the reality that a merciful death is not the worst thing that can happen to a creature, if it is sick or they cannot take care of it themselves.

(Sigh).

Thank you for caring for the wittle unwanted wittens.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Serendipity View Post
                                      Ok, so now that we've justifiably ranted about it, what (if anything) can we do? I do volunteer with a cat rescue organization in the city where I live, but I mean on a specific farm-related note; is there anything that can be done to stop the dumping of unwanted animals at farm properties?

I know that there are a lot of cottages in the area where my family's farm is, and that the general belief with the full-time residents in town is that the "city people" ak..a the cottage owners are dumping their "cottage" kittens at the end of the season.

This makes sense given that most of the dumped cats that we see are right at the end of the summer season. However, I am a "city person" myself, and would never, ever do something like that. But, is this trend something that others see too? If it' s true, is there a way to educate these idiots so that they don't think that "animals need to live on a farm to be happy", as another poster said?

Incidentally, I do have to say, if those people really thought that "they will be happier on a farm" myth was true, I would expect that they would have the nerve to bang on the door of the farm, and say "hi there! we have a cat/dog/rabbit here for you!" Funny how that never seems to happen.
                                      I dunno, anything that moves slowly enough to get caught around here gets spayed/neutered and if I were ever to catch someone in the act of dumping an animal I'd prosecute whatever was left of them after I'd gotten through with them.

Maybe if every person had to vounteer at the Humane Society (or their equivilent) and see all the perfectly healthy and darling animals that come in only to be euthanized they would never be careless with their animals, or if they had to caretake a severely injured HBC animal until it could be tended to or if they had to nurse a starved animal back to health they would understand that with animals comes responsibility.

But I'm not holding my breath...

Here are my latest walk-ins:
                                      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=641567647

Comment

Peole are unbelievably unthinking, uncaring and downright cruel. I agree, the only way to force people who need to be forced to care for animals is totally criminalize it. Make it such a stiff penalty that people think long and hard before they breed / dump / abuse animals. I know it won't stop the problem altogether because lots of animals will still slip through the cracks, but people should have to be registered to breed anything. There should be rules and regulations and people to enforce them. Just not enough is being done to stop the breeding.

The poster who said that many people don't look at animals as anything other than a distraction is completely correct. I guess they're wired differently and I feel terribly sorry for them,they have no idea what they're missing out on. However, I also believe that many of these same people can be educated and made aware.

Since corporal punishment of the severest kind sadly isn't an option for animal abusers (of any type) then a long stint working for an animal rescue / rehabilitation center would be a good second choice. It might arouse a sense of empathy for those who cannot fend for themselves.

I think something we can all do is to volunteer just a little time to rescue and rehabilitation organizations. I believe that lots of depression could be avoided by doing this. We'll forget our minor problems when we see just how tough some creatures have it...
                                        We also need to stand up and be counted when we see friends and family with unsterilized animals. Educate them!!

I speak as one of those who couldn't imagine life without my animals, esp my cats. Whoever says cats are independent and stand-offish haven't a clue what they're talking about. A stand-offish cat is simply one that hasn't been shown enough affection.

Comment

Working...
                                        X