• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My Non-Horse Husband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Non-Horse Husband

[FONT=Verdana]Mr. SLW’s extensive equine background includes “have fun fox hunting today honey”, “do you need more money for the trail ride today?” or “the Miami Dolphins game starts at 4:00 so take your time coming home, I’ll be just fine, really.” The understanding during our 28 year marriage has been- he never questions the money or time requirements with equines IF I never ask him too actually *touch* a horse. He admires the strength and grace of horses but always prefers a stout fence separate him from a horse here at home. [/FONT]

I needed help from Mr. SLW in the barn this evening with our 2 ½ year old gelding. The gelding is *modest* and I needed to take his temperature which required a second set of hands. Such is life on the small farm when the last horse kid has moved away to the University. Being part human Golden Retriever, kind and helpful, Mr. SLW happily came out to the barn during evening chores to assist me.

[FONT=Verdana]I told him “I need to take Spanky’s temperature. Do you want the head or the tail?” He looked at me and angst began to cover his usually happy expression. I said “really, I’ll back his rump up to the stall door, head or tail?” The angst drained from his face and was replaced with the cold fear a young child feels when they *think they heard Mr. Eyeball Plucker in the bedroom closet in the middle of the night.” Mr. SLW, an IT guy for a Top 10 Fortune 500 company, was being asked to work on an “ass*et of a different kind- just about as far away from his daily reality as he could ever hope to be.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]He paused weighing his options methodically, the Dolphins play the Jets at 1:00 this Sunday….hunting is at 1:00 this Sunday. If Spanky is sick I might end.up.staying.home. So it’s in “our” interest to make sure he is not ill. He said “tail” and so I took the leadrope, handed him the thermometer, backed Spanky up to the stall door and said “go ahead”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]First, he randomly picked up the tail at the base of the tail bone and then tried to lift it. Not gonna work. I said “Honey, go ahead and grab the tail bone about half way down, then lift it up.” He did that and then stated “Honey, it is dark and I can’t tell where to put the thermometer!” Spanky is a black colt and the lighting in that stall isn’t the best. I described to him what he should aim for and he tried again getting a lil reaction from Spanky, a scoot if you will. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]He said “I just can’t do this because I am outside of my comfort zone.” I said “fair enough, you come take the head”. We switched ends and by now, modest Spanky is a lil bit concerned about us being concerned about his back end. Mr. SLW backed the colt up to the door like a pro, I inserted the thermometer and Spanky scooted forward and Mr. SLW jumped. Tried it again with the same result. We stopped with that. Hated to not get the temperature but more importantly, I knew Mr. SLW, who had already declared “outside my comfort zone”, had gone above and beyond the marriage vows.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]But it got funnier…..we closed up the barn for the night and walked to the house. Then he quietly confided in me- “I had NO idea a horse had a tail bone. All these years I thought a horse’s tail was all soft hair. So back there, the first time I picked up Spanky’s tail and felt something hard mixed in the tail hair I thought ‘oh my gosh, did I also grab *that*, his wee-wee??”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]God I love him!! Non-horse husbands are the best!! We laughed about that at dinner tonight at our favorite Mexican eatery. [/FONT]
    Last edited by SLW; Oct. 30, 2009, 10:19 PM. Reason: font

There is so much about that story that made me laugh!!!

Had a similar incident last night-- sent non-horsey Mr. FG out to change the horse's sheet. While doing the belly straps he came face to face with horsey's man bits... my gelding has a tendency to let it all hang out. Apparently it was a traumatic incident for Mr. FG! Guess he'd never seen them up close and personal before.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

I also have a non-horsey hubby and although he fully supports MY need for the beasts, he is constantly challenged by the dirt, hair, and disgusting things we must deal with. It's hysterical to go into a sheath cleaning or other such topic.
      Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

My lovely hubby relented 3 years ago & we added a molly mule. This year he thought he was being very thoughtful when he bought me a saddle from a guy at work.

Now it was super thoughtful (and I can't exactly return it) - but I've told him before saddles are like people shoes and not every saddle fits every horse! However the man at work assures him that my girl will "grow" into it.

Men, gotta love 'em, right?

Comment

My non-horsey boyfriend's first experience with my pony definitely set the tone of their relationship. I had finished riding, untacking and was taking the pony back to his paddock when he decides to stop....pee forever....fart louder than I've ever heard and then glance back at my boyfriend who is ROFL. Pony made his statement.

Kindred souls from the start.

Comment

OMG! Too Funny at the end!!!! This is my laugh for the day, for sure!
            My spouse is a little better at handling the horses than yours, but he too
            "prefers another sport"! Your story is way too good not to share!
            Thank you! J
            ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Comment

• Original Poster

What is so funny is that he does know horses, horse management, etc. so he uses great equine analogys to explain a server, program or software problem. Such as "expecting this program to manage "X,Y,Z" data is like having the hay supplier for a farm know which broodmares are bred to which stallion." Or "this software doesnt match our needs- your asking us to use a roping saddle on a TB race horse." Sometimes I love to overhear his conference calls.

Comment

I just LOFF it when NHHs try to tell you how to ride/fix a problem/buy a horse. Its like telling a brain surgon how to operate. Seriously.
                “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

LMAO!!!! That was priceless Thanks for the needed laugh

Comment

This story is definitely making me feel better. My fiance is completely non-horsey. I got him on a horse to trail ride in Tennessee (one of those tourist things - horses looked to be in good health).

He said he remains uninterested in horses.

Prior to that, we were dating for about six months when I was using my tax rebate to buy some much needed new tack - two saddles (I event, so one cross country and one dressage), two new bridles (because close contact saddles don't come in black and dressage don't come in brown...of course...), new saddles pads, girths, etc.

When he found out my saddles alone cost #1K each, he about fainted - I reminded him that these were mid-range type saddles - they can get up to $4K and more...not to mention custom.

I keep thinking I need to get him interested in horses and am slowly realizing he will love me anyway and I should just be really happy that he comes to shows sometimes.

Last show, he surprised me by bringing my non-horsey brother, non-horsey sister-in-law and 4 month old niece. My dressage and stadium jumping was video taped by my brother, along with a lot of commentary about why the dressage judge was in a car and how wrong they think that is. My brother hasn't gotten it converted yet, but I can't wait to hear the 'expert commentary' that follows dressage and stadium.

Comment

LMAO - your hubby is a gem. REALLY. A gem! But you knew that already.
                      Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
                      Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
                      Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Comment

got to love em

On our first date I told my (now) husband that I would have to be picked up late because I had to go by the barn and infuse a broodmare with antibiotics when I got off work. He volunteered to pick me up and then go by the barn.....which I gladly accepted cause I could use the help. I wrapped the mare's tail, handed him the syringe while I inserted the pipette and after asking for the syringe (with my arm in the mare up to my armpit) and NOT getting the syringe or a response, I looked back over my shoulder to see him backed into the corner of the stall with sheer fright on his face. He is an ER physician. I asked him, "this is not how you do pelvics?" Poor fella. After 16 years or so, he is better at helping and loves the horse shows but he still leaves the breeding chores to me. When I told him I wanted to go to Colo St to the breeding seminars years ago, he GLADLY agreed. At least he knew what he was getting into from the very start! It has been an adventure.

Comment

Thanks - that was hilarious!!

Left my non horsey husband in charge of 1 horse while I went to a clinic with the other for 3 days. Came back to a horse blanket laying on the deck... Hubby wasn't home so I called to make sure everything was okay. I was picturing him taking the blanket off, forgetting to undo some straps, getting kicked or having the horse run around the pen dragging said blanket.
                          I was only partially right as he had indeed "not realized there were strappy things for the legs" - but everyone was fine (I have good natured horses...)
                          Of course I had to thank him profusely for doing that, even though the reasion I hadn't asked him to begin with was that I was afraid something like this might happen...
                          "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

SLW - Thank you so much for posting that! Really enjoyed reading it..and yes - I too have a NHH!

I tell everyone that before he met me - he wanted the biggest house on the smallest lot with plastic grass! Now we live on a farm and raise horses and sheep!
                            Julie
                            www.equusvilla.blogspot.com
                            www.ridingaside.blogspot.com
                            www.miniaturecheviot.blogspot.com

Comment

OMG. Thank you for sharing this very very cute story. It made my day

Comment

My non-horsey husband is slowly becoming horsey (not that he'll ever reach my level I'm sure). He does now have a horse (which he said he wanted for trail riding with me, but I'm not convinced it wasn't just to have something that was his to feed ten million treats a day LMAO )
                                I think the funniest thing is that when does come on a ride with me- he pretty much refuses to steer- rides with reins on the buckle and hands on the pommel- he wants the horse to be able to choose his way and he just wants to enjoy the scenery- LOL! Thankfully his horse is a saint who thinks his purpose in life is to follow my mare wherever she goes
                                "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
                                So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

Priceless!!!!
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Priceless - even from the perspective of this HH who has a NHW

Comment

Gosh that's funny!!!

The not-so-new BF was aware this week that I was really down about having to rehome one of my horses and offered to come with me for my "first" visit back to the barn w/ her gone--and to meet my other horse.

He grew up w/ cattle and fully admitted in advance that he knows nothing of what constitutes a "well put together horse". To which I said, "Good, because you're about to meet a conformational Mr. Potato head.

His response after we had slogged through the mud and met the mare? "She has the most beautiful eyes."

Okay. Good. They all do, don't they? At least he picked one of her best assets.

Got to love 'em. They try.
                                      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Ha this was a great story. Mr. Pony Soprano is very similar, including his ultimate motivation being the football game. He is very generous about fixing fences and mowing fields though.

In seven years I have gotten him on a horse three times. He did inform me this summer that if he really put his mind to it and tried, he could be jumping in a month . Ha My horses aren't going to be the ones going through that learning curve being that the walk is currently a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                                        X