• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Farm gates and Fedex?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm gates and Fedex?

This may be pushing the farm relatedness limit, but I am trying really hard to get a package from fedex.

Each day they turn up, find nobody at the gate to give them a signature, so hang a tag on the gate saying "Customer not Available or Business Closed" and go away.

Each day I ring the call center and say "Please deliver it to the house" and get asked some random questions
    "Is there a code for the gate?" Unless mean push not pull, then no.
    "Is the gate locked?" No
    "Are there loose dogs?" No

Yesterday I got "Our drivers don't generally open gates, as there might be a good reason it is shut". There might also be a good reason somebody is sending me a package.

Is this a common problem? Other horse farms have gates, right?

Do I need to put a complex series of pictograms next to it illustrating the correct procedure for pushing a gate for a novice who has never seen a gate before?

Do you get packages regularly? Why not just leave the gates open the day you know fedex is going to be there? I can see the worry of them not knowing what's behind the gates, i.e. loose farm dogs, horses, etc. I wouldn't open up a gate to someone's backyard and leave it open to go up to their house, kwim?

Comment

Put a note on the gate, telling FedEX to open the gate and go to the house.
      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

My FedEx man leaves packages just outside the gate or sometimes dropped just over the gate, usually in a plastic bag. Although there was the day last week when one was stuck IN the gate.
        'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
        - Pablo Picasso

Comment

Same Problem

HA...I have the same problem, only they throw the package over the gate and drive off regardless of value of items inside.
          My big dogs are usually in the house and if I am not home 100% they are locked up.
          Plus the gate has a sign thats "Please Close Gate" so that means you sure as heck swing it open, its even on a wheel
          UPS does open drive thru deliver and shut on way out. Post Office hates to drive up but will if I call and yell often enough.
          I hate finding soggy packages throw under a tree by the gate w/ $100.00's horse product or vaccines!! FEDEX is the Worst..................

Comment

Yes, put a note on the gate, request that they open the gate and leave the package at whatever specified location, AND SIGN THE NOTE. The signed note counts for your signature for the package. Good luck, I've had some real package run-arounds myself. It is really frustrating...

Comment

If the obvious purpose of the gate is To Keep People Out, you can't very well argue that it's not supposed to work when you don't want it to...

Here in The Land Of Spring Mud, it is routine for driveways to be blocked off whewn it's horribly muddy... Even the smallest little obstacle laid across the end of the driveway indicates "driveway impassible". My UPS guy leaves my stuff either in the decrepit old wheelbarrow that serves as my muddy driveway indicator, or sticks it in whatever vehicle is parked out there.

USPS mail carrier does the same. Don't get much by Fedex...

On stuff I order, I try to order before or after mud season.

But what I was trying to get around to saying is that there used to be "drive-through electric gates" for electric fences thatconsisted of fiberglass (I'm assuming) rods mounted on springs at each side of the driveway, with some sparkly streamers hanging down from them (I asume for visiblity). Vehicles could drive through, and the gate would self-shut behind them. Might be something to consider...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by greysandbays View Post
                If the obvious purpose of the gate is To Keep People Out, you can't very well argue that it's not supposed to work when you don't want it to...
                Really? I guess that is what I am asking. Is it a genuine missunderstanding, ie I think a closed but unlocked gate means "Creatures with opposable thumbs can pass freely but excaped livestock should stay on the side they were put on" but the driver thinks a closed gate means "Gathering of angry horse worshiping cultists inside holding a ritual keep out or you will be shot and fed to shetlands". Or is it just laziness; a gate means it takes an extra 2 minutes to make a delivery so they don't like them.

To me a gate is there to be driven through. If I did not want people to drive through it I would have built a fence instead of a gate.

Comment

These drivers have very strict schedules, and getting out of the vehicle four times to open/close gates is going to delay them. Leaving it open while they're down the drive would expose them to liability if whatever was inside got out.

If you can't leave the gate open, can you leave a signature release and a container up by the gate for them to put the package in?

Having them hold the package and going to pick it up yourself might also be an option.
                  --
                  Wendy
                  ... and Patrick

Comment

I haver a gate for insurance and to keep potenial loose horses IN.
                    If I didn't want someone to open it the gate would save, Private Drive NO ENTRY...

Be serious people FEDEX runs on a schedule and getting out to open the gate takes TIME.

UPS guy told me same thing but since I raised so much hell w/ UPS they drive in and out.
                    FEDEX is just ignoring.
                    I usually request NON FEDEX delivery carrier

Comment

At my house:
                      UPS always comes through the gate
                      FedEx sometimes comes through the gate (seems to depend on the driver)
                      USPS never comes through the gate.

My gate has a keypad with the code visible on the pad. It auto shuts behind them and has a metal sensor to let them back out. We installed the gate opener to make it easier to get deliveries. In retrospect, we shouldn't have bothered.

The postal service, when I asked them, said that if they see a closed gate they always assume loose animals behind it. They don't want to have to chase animals they've accidentally let loose, so they never open gates. I guess I can't be mad at them for that.

Out here in the land of ranch gates many people have a "package box" near the gate for such deliveries to go in and be safe from rain and snow. Sometimes it's as simple as a rubbermaid box type thing tied to a tree (so it won't blow away.)
                      Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Originally posted by tangledweb View Post
                        Really? I guess that is what I am asking. Is it a genuine missunderstanding, ie I think a closed but unlocked gate means "Creatures with opposable thumbs can pass freely but excaped livestock should stay on the side they were put on" but the driver thinks a closed gate means "Gathering of angry horse worshiping cultists inside holding a ritual keep out or you will be shot and fed to shetlands". Or is it just laziness; a gate means it takes an extra 2 minutes to make a delivery so they don't like them.

To me a gate is there to be driven through. If I did not want people to drive through it I would have built a fence instead of a gate.
                        I expect there's some regional variation on the meaning of gates, but around here a gate of any sort (no matter how flimsy) across a driveway is as good as a "No Trespassing" sign. A serious gate says "Keep Out, No Exceptions".

I once had a twine string tied across the driveway a couple hundred feet away from the house to keep an old horse from wandering too far out, and the UPS driver stopped and left the package there, and BACKED the rest of the 600' out the driveway to the road.

Comment

UPS parks at gate and walks to the house. With dog biscuits.
                          USPS leaves card in mailbox and I have to go to the post office to pick up.
                          Fed Ex: the driver playes such loud music and usually takes long enough to fumble around that I am wondering what the heck is some teenager with his loud music doing at the driveway... investigate and see FedEx and help him unload. Truck is dented too. Unique system, but works out OK. Now when I hear loud music I figure it's Fed Ex and go to the gate. Thank goodness SmartPak uses UPS.
                          The Farm: http://1738farmllc.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Topaz View Post

Out here in the land of ranch gates many people have a "package box" near the gate for such deliveries to go in and be safe from rain and snow. Sometimes it's as simple as a rubbermaid box type thing tied to a tree (so it won't blow away.)

We use a Rubbermaid trash can.
                            Or leave the gate open when expecting a package.

Stopping, getting out, opening gate, getting back in, driving through, closing gate, getting back in, delivering package, stopping to open gate again, driving through, stopping to close gate again...... probably goes above and beyong the job description for most delivery services.
                            april
                            Equine Retirement at
                            www.StonyRidgeFarm.webs.com

Comment

We have a security gate as "backup" if horses get out of pasture. UPS and FedEx do not have the code but will ring intercom if gate is closed. If we are there we open the gate if we are not there and we dont have to sign they will always put it in a bag and either hang it on the fence or put it over the fence if it is to big. If it is something I have to sign for they leave a note for me to come pick it up at there facility. I dont mind going to pick it up. It is not their fault we have a security fence and no one was there to sign. They are just doing their job. That being said we rarely get anything that needs to be signed.

We also live out in the country and many places with such gates usually have some sort of container that is either bolted down to the ground or bolted to the fence. A vet who lives near us has a lock on his container outside his fence. The UPS and FedEx guys have a key. The box is bolted to the ground or fence in some fashion. You can imagine the kind of stuff a vet receives so the box has to stay locked.

When we first moved to our farm I was nervous about packages being stolen if they were left outside or on the gate. Our home came with a security camera at the gate. Never had any problems. Our cameras work but if you are nervous about packages left at the gate being stolen they do make cameras that are "fake". This may be a good deterrent.

Comment

I have a big trash can just inside the gate. If UPS or Fedex leave a note, I sign it and tell them to leave it in the can.

Post office is the only one that won't get out of their car for anything. I usually have to figure out a way to go to the friggin' post office to get it if it's a "sign for" - sometimes they'll leave it, other types of deliveries they say they have to have an in-person signing.

Comment

A closed gate, to me, means do not enter. I put up signs saying something along the lines of, "Dear Fed-Ex Man (or woman): Please put packages in X location. Thank you! (signed, me)"

Comment

I found this thread very entertaining! LOL

FedEx will bring our packages all the way down our one-lane mile and a half dirt road along the river with a drop off of over 500 feet, IF it is not snowing and/or the road is perfectly dry. In that case, they leave my horsie stuff at the millionaire's barn next door, where it is locked in the office and no staff available to let me pick it up. (Yeah, that is where I finally found my Stubben! )
                                    UPS leaves our packages at my aunt's house, on the main road, and lets her sign for them... Since I don't usually order anything risque, that works fine and my packages are safe and dry until I can pick them up.
                                    USPS is great, will hold my packages at the post office, and call me to let me know they are there!
                                    Any other delivery company can't find us anyway...

OP, is there any way you can convince them to blow the horn several times to alert you that you have a delivery and you could get to the gate to sign for your package?

Comment

Agreed. If the house is close enough, a "please honk!" sign would do the trick. In retrospect, I wish I had thought of it when I had a farmette with a gated driveway to the house.

It was always hit or miss with the companies and drivers, I was always happy if they would wrap in plastic and drop over the gate (which FedEx) did. USPS was the most frustrating. Either crammed in the box, which was fine, or they'd take it back to the PO and refuse to try again. Seriously!!! I bought a very expensive (to me) horse and when his papers shipped, they tried once to deliver and then took them back to the PO and put them in the "Return to Sender" pile. WTF? Thankfully the old owner called me and said she had gotten a call that her return receipt, tracked, etc etc package was being returned.
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

I live about a half a mile down a private dirt road. USPS doesn't even come down here, our mailboxes are at the hard road. FedEx/UPS do come down here though. I have a locked gate and perimeter fence due to my 10 dogs, plus I work shift work so unless it's my day off I am almost never here when FedEx comes.

What i did was i ordered an extra large mailbox from Horse and Hound (it has a picture and our farm name, address on it) and put it at the front gate. On the post we put letters with UPS/FedEx on it. They leave the stuff in the box or if it's really big next to the box and leave the tag on the gate that it was left. Eventually I did see the UPS/FedEx guy and told them it's fine to leave stuff there and it's never been a problem.

Usually the mailbox thing is a problem because you aren't supposed to leave stuff in them other than US Mail, but since it's a private road and they don't come down here it really isn't a problem.

You could make a box, put a lock on it, leave the lock open,, and tell the Fed Ex guy he can put stuff in it and lock it when he's done. That might work.
                                        "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Working...
                                        X