• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Trail Riding with my Dog On-leash; Advice Please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Riding with my Dog On-leash; Advice Please?

At our old barn, my dog was allowed to be off-leash and would trot around the field and/or ring and exercise herself (politely) while I rode. I've got a few health issues that makes it so I'm not able to take her out for walks every day, so the old barn was great in that regard. However at the new barn, it backs up to a ton of great trails, but all dogs MUST be leashed. I was thinking of making something up with a dowel rod to make a stiff leash so that she can't get ahead of us or underfoot of my horse while I ride, but I'm not convinced that this is a good plan. Does anyone have any good ideas for riding with a dog that must be on a leash?
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

don't do it - this is just a huge accident waiting to happen -
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Originally posted by MHM
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

I would never ride out with a dog on a leash. Loose? Yep I ride out with mine frequently but I'd never have them on a leash.

Comment

I agree - don't do it!

I cannot think of any safe way to make it work.
        Animals are not disposable!!!
        http://www.pawsnela.org

Comment

Advice?

Don't do it!

Comment

field trialers do it when training dogs, but it's a tough proposition to do this on trails and not out in the open. Personally I just wouldn't want to deal with it.

If you just 'have to' - then short (like 1' or so) sections of small hollow pvc pipe with the rope leash threaded through it, makes more sense. Like a string run through uncooked ziti noodles, LOL- so it flexes but can't utterly collapse and wrap round a leg in a wreck if you need to drop the line.

Your horse has to be rope broke entirely to ropes around his/her legs and under their tail, 100%.

Good luck.

Borrowed from a field trial web site:

Roading is another skill that the field trial horse must master. Roading is a method to condition a dog. You put a dog in a harness and attach a thirty-foot rope to the harness from the saddle. Some people have purchased a field trial or trooper saddle and did not know what the tab in the back of the saddle was for, that is what the dog is attached to. Some people attach the rope to the rings in front of the saddle. The dog is encouraged to lean into the rope and harness and pull hard. The rider and horse follow. Thirty minutes of roading is the equivalent of an hour of free running. The dog usually stays out in front of the horse so the horse must tolerate the rope crossing over his chest as the dog moves from the left to the right. Roading is also used to excite and educate the dogs. In American Field Trails you can road dogs in the gallery behind the dogs in a brace. The dogs being roaded becomes fired up by watching the other dogs work as the gun is fired and the bird is flushed. Roading is also used when a dog messes up and you are far out on the course but the judge has ordered you up, you can road the dog back to the club house. A dog that has been lost on the course and later found can be roaded back to not interfere with the new brace of dogs.

On one occasion at a Brittany trail in Kentucky a handler lost his dog on the course. Sometime later, during another brace, the dog was found tied in the front yard of a nearby house. The people who owned the house had kindly tied the dog in the front yard, knowing from past experience that someone from the trial would notice and pick up the dog. We rode over through some brush and through a drainage ditch then across the road to get to the house.

The man I was with had a Dun Paso Fino and he had 30 foot of check cord or rope. He retrieved the dog and attached him to the rope and we started back across the road and through the drainage ditch. Then into the brush, where there was a narrow deer trail with just enough room for one animal to pass through at a time. The dog ended up behind the horse and was actually bumping against the horses’ hocks as we walked through. The rope was across the horse's chest from the right side, the dog having passed to the left of the horse before we entered the brush and back around to his back end. SO the dog has wrapped almost all the way around the horses body. We proceeded through the brush this way, until we got out into the open, where the dog swung around in front of the horse. That horse never missed a beat. He simply gaited on through with the dog bumping off his hocks. These are the kind of things expected of a field trial horse!

Comment

I think that sounds totally dangerous to all involved. Sorry. If you can't walk the dog and need her to get more exercise, you might want to check into getting a treadmill. I'm thinking about doing that myself, since I have three days where I work long hours and it's impossible to get any quality exercise in with my dogs. I am hoping to find one used that is not too big either! Good luck!
              She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

I've done it w/o issues.

But. My dog already knew to "heel" to my hip on horseback and my horse was used to ponying other horses and didn't mind the dog. The main thing is not to use something so long that you're going to get all tangled.
                A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Potentially dangerous if the rope gets tangled up, or under the tail. Dog could get hung.
                  I've have seen it done.
                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Adding my NO to everyone else's. WAY too dangerous.
                    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Get a really short leash, hook it to the collar, and let the dog go..it's on a leash!
                      Just kidding, but if you are out on the trails by yourself who would really know? Is the dog small enough to ride in your lap until you're out of view?

Comment

When I go to the barn I'm at currently I'll hook my dog to a tree or somewhere out of the way. She doesn't get to "run free" but the sights and smells still simulate her and she's more tired than if she had been sitting on the couch all day.

I don't think it's polite to let a dog run loose in most cases, even if the barn owners say it's ok. You never know what horse isn't going to be ok with it, what person might come to the barn (my dog is big and she can knock people over with out meaning too) or what other dog might show up.

Usually when i'm done with the horses I'll take her for a walk around the farm or take her to the back field and let her run a bit. The only farm I let her "run free" is my friend's farm which she owns, with no boarders and is totally fenced with no-climb.
                        http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I've done it but not really successfully. Very nice bombproof horse did her best not to step on the dog but at the end of the ride I felt as though I had aged 20 years, from fussing with the dog, reeling it in, etc.
                          Katarine's story about the horse all wound up in the rope is right on the mark.
                          If the dog could be convinced to run out in front and keep tension on the rope like a sled dog it might work, but mostly they keep wanting to circle back and get underfoot and oh my what a mess!
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

Though I agree with the posters who say no, if you are going to do this, either teach the dog anti-targeting and keep the dog away from the horse or teach the dog to target the end of a pole, pvc pipe, dowel rod or something similar so he knows where you want him to be. Very similar to loose lead walking. This would be training intensive and moderately advanced, so if you aren't up to it.....leave the dog at home.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalEagle View Post
                              Get a really short leash, hook it to the collar, and let the dog go..it's on a leash!
                              Just kidding, but if you are out on the trails by yourself who would really know? Is the dog small enough to ride in your lap until you're out of view?
                              Don't get me wrong I love trail riding with my dog when it's ALLOWED but
                              The attitude of "do it anyhow if you want to" of many riders is what gets a lot of trails closed to us.
                              If you are fortunate enough to have trails please respect the trails and respect the rules of the trail.
                              You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Someone I know did this.
                                Ended badly - leash around horse legs.
                                Thankfully, she rides a saint of a horse.
                                The other horses with her were not so amused.

L

Comment

Not being snarky, I promise, but I'd find time to walk my dog away from the barn. Sometimes you can't have the best of both worlds....a hard as you try.
                                  SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
                                  Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
                                  The Barkalicious Bakery
                                  On Facebook!!!

Comment

If your dog is a Great Dane or something like that, and your horse is under 15 hands and has more than its share of good sense, it might work without getting anybody killed. But a smaller dog and a bigger (or scatterbrained) horse? That would take some serious negotiation with both the horse and the dog -- and even then, you'd have to be lucky...

If I was going to try it, I'd want the "leash" to be something with some "hand" to it, like a lariat or something.

Comment

When you ride with the dog does it stay right with you or wander off?
                                      Does it ever get aggressive with other dogs or will it continue on its way, following you if you should run into another dog?
                                      Have you tried taking the dog and been caught?
                                      Are you sure there aren't plenty of walkers back there with dogs off lead?

Around here there are plenty of parks where dogs are supposed to be on lead but it is a rule that is routinely ignored and nobody enforces it or cares. Not all of these are open to horses but same idea. So why don't you see if others are walking off lead and what the general feeling is.

I had a dog that followed me on trails in the state park when I was a kid. He was great and would either be right in front or right behind the horses and never even looked at another dog when we were out. State park becomes a National park and one day a park ranger says something to me about the dog not being on a leash. I looked at him and said "But I'm on a horse!" He didnt' have an answer for that, didn't tell me the dog couldn't come and people continued to bring their dogs along.

I know things are different now, and rules are enforced with more regularity but I think I would go for a ride or two with the dog and test the waters.

Comment

they sell stiff bars to attach to bikes to hold dogs safely away from the bike; unless you can figure out how to attach one such device to your horse forget it. Leashed dog + horse = disaster waiting to happen.

the BEST way to exercise a dog: fetch. Any dog can be taught to fetch (some take longer than others). Buy a Chuck-it ball throwing device. Find a big, empty field. Go for it. You just stand there, dog runs hard. This is far better than leash-walking a dog next to a slow walking human.

Comment

Working...
                                        X