• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Keeping the "Around the Farm" home cleaner??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a nice roomy mudroom with benches and lots of hooks and a bath attached and then maybe get a Roomba. Otherwise it'll get full too fast.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Comment

My vac broke last week so the timing on this thread is perfect!

We have a mudroom and I was considering the Roomba but figured it would drive my dogs nuts and there is a step down to the sunroom that would be an issue so I am glad to hear it doesn't really help our kind of dirt.

The Hoover I had was a piece of junk - used to have a Kenmore years ago but was trying to stay away from a canister because pulling it around seems to bother my neck more than pushing an upright.

Has anyone had any luck with Orecks? I really like the light weight feature but don't know if it can handle the lab hair/farm dirt.

Comment

I have heard Orecks are not very good from friends, but I don't have one. I have a cannister Miele. It was $1000 five years ago and I absolutely love it for pet hair (and everything else, but it really gets pet hair!). Four cats. I even use it to vacuum the top of the bed where they sleep and it doesn't damage the down blanket (you can adjust the power brush head to no spin or high spin).

I board my horses and also keep most of my shoes/jackets in the garage before I come in. So it doesn't get that dirty, just pet hair. I was hoping the Roomba was more successful, since despite having a great vacuum, I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.

Comment

Five years ago, the whole house vacuum was a hair over $600 and if I ever build a barn, that is what I will have for horse vacuum, with several outlets all along the aisle and/or in grooming stalls.

I have heard the prices are about the same still today.

Now, you can't carry that vacuum around, but with the right hoses and outlets, you should be able to reach all and any place in a house and barn.

Just one more option.

Comment

I was VERY disappointed in the Oreck vacuums. All advertising hype. Like an earlier poster, the Kenmore canister vacs with retractable cord cannot be beat for the price. Very powerful and hard to kill.

Comment

We need a vacuum thread.......It is HR, really it is!

Comment

You really have to get into the habit of taking off outdoor shoes when you come in, city or barn.

I think I need to check out the Roomba...no long haired animals, and it would hold me over till my twice annual cleaning sprees

In any case, it helps greatly if you have a HUGE mud room through which you enter the dwelling (my Uncle's was about 14'x14' with a huge selection of boots and house shoes and such, even with not cleaning daily the house stayed nice)
                Originally posted by BigMama1
                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                  Five years ago, the whole house vacuum was a hair over $600 and if I ever build a barn, that is what I will have for horse vacuum, with several outlets all along the aisle and/or in grooming stalls.

I have heard the prices are about the same still today.

Now, you can't carry that vacuum around, but with the right hoses and outlets, you should be able to reach all and any place in a house and barn.

Just one more option.
                  Hey Bluey, our home has a central vacuum (I am thinking this is what you are talking about). It is a Nutone. I vacuumed with it for a couple of years and thought I was getting pet hair up (we have cream carpet mixed with a yellow lab, white lab and a golden retriever so hair is plentiful but not obvious). I had it serviced and all the lines "flushed" out when we moved in just to make sure everything was in working order. The suction was just not all that great but I just kept on using it going over areas twice.

Hubby comes home one night with a dyson "animal". I was pretty upset as the price was around $600 and hubby did not consult me before purchasing. All doubts went out the window when we cranked that bad boy up. I was mortified, MORTIFIED and embarrassed at what we pulled out of just our living room carpet. It was as if we had vacuumed up a whole other dog!! What was even worse was that the dog hair was acting as an "insulator" for all the dust underneath. So not only was the vacuum not picking up the pet hair it was not picking up the dust and dirt underneath. Needless to say the Nutone has not come out of the closet since then.

My parents have a Hoover central vac at their house. I had raved so much about my dyson animal that mom took it home with her to test it out while we were out of town. SHe had just had her carpets cleaned and you would not believe the stuff she pulled out of her carpets. She put her "findings" from each room on a piece of white poster board (so it would show up better) When dad came home she had a row of poster board lined up on the floor so she could show him.
                  Guess what we got mom for Mothers Day?

I could be a spokesperson for dyson. They should be paying me for all the free advertising I give them I CHERISH my dyson and would probably kill for it as well

Comment

Has anyone had any luck with Orecks? I really like the light weight feature but don't know if it can handle the lab hair/farm dirt.
                    Nope, Oreck is a piece of overpriced crap for a house with pets or real dirt. Hubby bought me one 2 years ago. I keep it in the basement and only use it down there once in a while.
                    For an apartment vacuum or lighter duty...it really is only 8 lbs and simple as heck to push around (I have arthritis in both shoulders so vacuuming can be painful as heck) and transitions well from carpt to floor. However, there's no such thing as attachments...so can't do stairs or furniture. I wouldn't waste the money.

Canisters can be a pain in the butt once in a while when you're pulling it behind you and it gets stuck on a corner...I agree there. But they've made big improvements on them...and the hoses no longer wear out or tear. My newest one has the electric furniture and stairs attachment, it has the thing to balance on stairs, telescoping wand, real hair brushes, ceiling fan attachment...you name it. I can go through a room and clean more than the floors...I can do the furniture and baseboards and ceiling vetns and ceiling fans and lamp shades and drapes and cobwebs....and everything is attached to the vacuum and pops on and off easily. I do vacuum daily which sounds excessive, but I literally can keep everything from floor to ceiling immaculate and be out of a room in 10 minutes tops. Even when doing hard floors, the hard floor attachment it already on and detaches with a tap of your foot...and it has small wheels so it's not pushing hairballs along or blowing them everywhere.
                    This is the one I bought I think...I could have sworn it was $699 and not $599 but this one has all the stuff mine has:
                    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=View+All
                    And it's on sale. Seriously, it kicked the butts of vacuums that cost almost double that. Including the Dyson, Electrolux, etc.
                    You jump in the saddle,
                    Hold onto the bridle!
                    Jump in the line!
                    ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by scpezold View Post
                      Hey Bluey, our home has a central vacuum (I am thinking this is what you are talking about). It is a Nutone. I vacuumed with it for a couple of years and thought I was getting pet hair up (we have cream carpet mixed with a yellow lab, white lab and a golden retriever so hair is plentiful but not obvious). I had it serviced and all the lines "flushed" out when we moved in just to make sure everything was in working order. The suction was just not all that great but I just kept on using it going over areas twice.

Hubby comes home one night with a dyson "animal". I was pretty upset as the price was around $600 and hubby did not consult me before purchasing. All doubts went out the window when we cranked that bad boy up. I was mortified, MORTIFIED and embarrassed at what we pulled out of just our living room carpet. It was as if we had vacuumed up a whole other dog!! What was even worse was that the dog hair was acting as an "insulator" for all the dust underneath. So not only was the vacuum not picking up the pet hair it was not picking up the dust and dirt underneath. Needless to say the Nutone has not come out of the closet since then.

My parents have a Hoover central vac at their house. I had raved so much about my dyson animal that mom took it home with her to test it out while we were out of town. SHe had just had her carpets cleaned and you would not believe the stuff she pulled out of her carpets. She put her "findings" from each room on a piece of white poster board (so it would show up better) When dad came home she had a row of poster board lined up on the floor so she could show him.
                      Guess what we got mom for Mothers Day?

I could be a spokesperson for dyson. They should be paying me for all the free advertising I give them I CHERISH my dyson and would probably kill for it as well
                      Ours is a Vacu Flo and it has tremendous sucking power, you better not let your chihuahua get close.

We had all kinds of canister vacuums and this central house one is considerably stronger than any I have ever seen.

I have several friends that have the same I have and they too say they are extremely powerful ones.

I don't know, maybe there are different powers in them?

Comment

Hey now, my canister Electrolux Classic kicks ass. I can switch the beater bar off, vacuum my high traffic tile kitchen floor, run my bare palm over it, and it comes up CLEAN.

LOVES me some Electrolux. Best 600 bucks I ever spent.

Comment

LOL...well the Electrolux is my number two choice. But the one I had before returning it they charged me around $1200 for it! Canister too. That model did a decent job, but for that amount I was expecting something a tad more...I dunno....miraculous at least.
                          Which was why I went back to the $600 Kenmore...did same or better for half the price. Had I gotten the Electrolux model for $600...(had I know they had one, I stupidly bought mine at a fair) I would've kept it.
                          You jump in the saddle,
                          Hold onto the bridle!
                          Jump in the line!
                          ...Belefonte

Comment

Kenmore cannister. 20 years old, still SUCKS LOL It does a really good job. Our new house is all hardwood floors and it still does the best job. I have replaced hoses, I have replaced cords, but that motor just hums along. My daughter is 10 my son is 8 and it will suck up barbie accesorys, legos and even cranyons and magic markers with ease. We have 2 dogs in the house, numerous cats in and out and you would never know it.
                            The View from Here

Comment

Originally posted by li'l bit View Post
                              I was VERY disappointed in the Oreck vacuums. All advertising hype. Like an earlier poster, the Kenmore canister vacs with retractable cord cannot be beat for the price. Very powerful and hard to kill.
                              FWIW though, the little freebie hand-held Oreck makes a wonderful horse vacuum A friend of mine purchased the large upright Orek & received the hand-held as a freebie. She asked me if I would like it, and I trucked that puppy right out to the barn. It works so well, that I even picked up a 2nd hand-held one at an auction for $10!
                              Cindy

Comment

My roommate and I have a Roomba downstairs on our hardwoods. The key is to run it every day, or else it gets really clogged up because it can't handle heavy duty dirt. It's also not very good on carpet....

My Dyson lives upstairs, where we have carpeting. With two dogs (and one is a Chow/Border Collie mix that SHEDS like nothing I've ever seen), we do well with this set-up
                                Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Comment

TheJenners

Thank YOU for the most useful post of the Day, not withstanding the "Does my butt look big?" and "How do I look on my horse?" entries, YOURS wins by a mile!!! I plan to go to Sears and check them out and also try a Dyson.
                                  "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

Originally posted by 3Spots View Post
                                    I board my horses and also keep most of my shoes/jackets in the garage before I come in. So it doesn't get that dirty, just pet hair. I was hoping the Roomba was more successful, since despite having a great vacuum, I personally don't vacuum often enough to make it safe to sit in my house with black pants on.

I don't believe you. I recall that nothing seems to stick to you. I've never known anyone who can be outside around horses and stay as clean as 3Spots!

Comment

I recently won a Roomba pet vacuum, and I like it, but had I paid for it, I would be returning it. Same complaints as previous posters--I live in a pretty small apartment, and by the time I prep all of the rooms for the Roomba, I could probably just vacuum and be done with it. It does a decent job, but not as good as a real vacuum. For the price, I would just buy a regular vacuum--everyone I know with a Roomba also has a regular vacuum, because the Roomba is really just good for daily maintenance, not thorough cleaning.

Comment

Roomba 5, Cats 0.

I love the Roomba. It beat the pants off all 4 of my cats! I have 4 cats, they have yet to kill my Roomba, and are finally now all scared of it, after the dominant one got her a$$ beat two times by it with the rake things that stick out to keep the animals away.

I have hardwood, and the Roomba is a godsend. I used to vacuum every day because of the hair (and the dirt from the horse and chickens) and sand from our beach. Now, the Roomba just runs 99% of the time and everything is nice and clean!

Comment

I have a shedding wonder dog, so am glad to see this thread - had considered a roomba, but doesn't sound like it will do this kind of heavy duty work. At my other house, I have a central vaccum that has never had a problem with extreme dog hair or dust or anything. Didn't put that in here, because I thought this was only going to be a vacation house.

This year I got so fed up with dirt/snow/light mud and all the manure & muck that dogs, horses and cattle create that I came up with a different plan. New rules: Rule 1 - no shoes or outside coats ever come into this house, both for us or any visitor (if they want to wear shoes, they can meet me at a restaurant in town for a night out. I refuse to worry about where my or anyone's shoes have been before they step into my home). Rule 2: every entry to this house that I want to be of use to me will have an outer chamber for me and dh to remove said outside wear and shoes/boots, clean off dog paws, etc.

We still have the garage to walk through if needed, but dh is in the process of building two "entry mud airlock" rooms (I don't know what the heck to call them, but those are the functions) outside of two of our outer house doors. One is a door we have never used in the winter due to snow, ice and 50+ mph winds on that side - and that sucker was supposed to be our front entry door.

The other door comes into the kitchen, so I've not been happy with the shoes, coats, and dog items that started to pile up in that corner of the kitchen. Even cleaning immune me was getting grossed out. These entry/mud/airlock rooms are small - about 6' by 8', but it will give us a place to deposit snowy coats, boots, etc to dry off and stay out of the house, plus the kitchen door room will also give us a place to drop firewood without getting it wet while we take off our snow coat (the wood is on the larger deck outside this room). We had some leftover board/batten for siding, and bought shingles for wall accent and roofing. So far, I left the flooring just as the deck it was, but have enough spare tile that I could upscale this if I want to (but we do live on a ranch, so don't want it too fancy in my case).

Sure, we could always use the garage in the winter, but the fact is that we don't due to the firewood placement and the plain convenience of the kitchen door. And I was about to wall off that fancier entry door due to its perpetual non-use. Sure, this is very non-standard, but it is one of the best things I've ever done to make this house more useful for how I want to live.

Only one life - too short to be cleaning like a fiend or worrying about curb appeal or what a future buyer 20 years out might like or dislike. Besides, anything you build like this can also be torn out easily if we ever decided to sell. Never want to wake up someday as a very ancient 80 year old lady, who finds that she used up the short amount of days that she was allotted in life in cleaning more than was necessary, instead of experiencing the other things life has to offer. I have a chronically bitter and unhappy mother as an example of how I do not want to end up at the end of my time here.

It won't work for everyone, but anyway, this is my current solution - told dh some people customize hot rods, I customize my house as I see fit I admit, I am getting more eccentric by the day, and really enjoying it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X