• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Growing Your Own Bedding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Your Own Bedding?

Aside from hay, bedding is my largest expense in regards to the horses. They stay out 24/7 in the warm months, but once it starts getting cold, they come in at nights. And two of the three are MESSY, so I tend to go through a lot of bedding. (I use wood pellets.)

I was talking about it to my father. We have lots and lots of land, and we were discussing what we could possibly grow to use as bedding.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone done something like this themselves?

-Straw, obviously. But I hate hate hate mucking straw and I'll continue to pay for pellets before I go that route.
    -Chopped corn. We have a chopper (like one used to make silage) that will chop the entire corn plant into half inch pieces. They make corn that doesn't grow cobs, so worrying about horses eating kernels wouldn't be a big deal. After the plant is frosted once or twice, the silage/chopped corn comes out dry and fluffy, not moist.
    -Switchgrass...but then we would have to look into a machine that would pellet it, probably not economical at that point.

Ideas?

I'd think putting a cash crop on the land and using that money to buy pelleted bedding would be SO MUCH EASIER. Or lease the land to someone and use that money to buy good bedding.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
      I'd think putting a cash crop on the land and using that money to buy pelleted bedding would be SO MUCH EASIER. Or lease the land to someone and use that money to buy good bedding.
      Okay, but regardless, pellets are getting harder and harder to find around here, and the feed stores are not offering any other alternative. Sawdust is non-existent unless you're a big barn with connections. Shavings are decreasing too. Morally, I would like to get away from using so many wood products, especially if it's as simple as planting a few acres with corn or grass, which is easily renewable.

Comment

How about chopping the straw into small bits with your corn chopper? I'm just not sure how absorbent this would be. Still, if you have the chopper, maybe buy a few bales of straw and give it a try?

Or growing fast-growing pine and making your own sawdust would work?

Comment

We have the same issues with bedding

Actually, bedding is my biggest expense, followed closely by grain. We grow our own hay, so unless you add the cost of occasionally replacing a implement, bedding is the winner in the expense sweepstakes, and unlikely to give up that position. I think fondly of the days that a dump truck load of sawdust was $25. I can't even get sawdust any more, and straw in this area is always sucked up by the big farms and dairys. I'm not fond of shavings, and they are getting more difficult to find too.

What we ended up doing is making some bedding ourselves. Since we re-seed and upgrade our hay fields in a rotational cycle, there is always a field where the seeding is on a downward spiral. We let it stand as long as we can for height, then cut it, let it bleach out, then bale for bedding. It is not an optimal bedding, as it gets heavy while wet, I'm spoiled with the ease of the pelleted bedding. But some horses do better on it. We do have a bale chopper, that will shred it into small pieces, which helps. But that also makes it more liable to blow around on a windy day. I've never had a horse try to eat it, as they have great hay available to them. Why would they eat this bleached out tasteless stuff?

I think the bedding is only going to get more expensive, for a variety of reasons. Less houses being built, leading to less lumber being sawed. More people buying pelleted stoves to heat with. Less public land being harvested of the timber, because of environmental issues. I have a vague recollection of something in the Kyoto Treaty that required certain countries to transition over to pelleted stoves by a certain date, or face fines and loss of carbon credits? (too lazy to google it, and read all the accompany bull doodie) Edit to add: http://www.articlesbase.com/environm...ts-366336.html

I don't know what the answer is. Peat and newspapers won't work for me, and I've gotten spoiled with the easy use of pellets. Every time I see a post with someone complaining about the rise of the cost of boarding, I want to fry them crispy. Nothing, NOTHING about owning horses has gotten cheaper in the last 5 years. Horse owners have had it good for so many years, now its become time to pay the piper. Unfortunately, this has hit the same time as many layoffs and permanent job losses.

Ah, I'll get off my soapbox now OP. Sorry If you find an economical solution, please PM me OK?
          Last edited by lawndart; Oct. 26, 2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: add found link
          Facta non verba

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you lawndart, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who's had this crazy idea! I will let you know if something works out....we're looking at ideas now to test out for next year's growing season.

And delta, good idea about chopping the straw...they do have straw pellets available in some areas, so that's a pretty similar idea.

Comment

I KNEW this was you! I don't know how, but I did.

Trip to the sawmill soon? I want to see how many bags I can stuff into Vibe. My bet is seven.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Eventaholic View Post
                I KNEW this was you! I don't know how, but I did.

Trip to the sawmill soon? I want to see how many bags I can stuff into Vibe. My bet is seven.
                Ha, cause I'm the only one who has a father crazy enough to say "Ya know, let's just grow a bunch of corn and chop it up!"

Comment

Another thought, since you have the chopper already, check into farmers that have already harvested their corn about taking their corn stalks for chopping. It'd be worth looking into at least to test the whole theory out. I've never heard of anyone using chopped stalks before, so wouldn't know how it would work.
                  Read about my riding adventures at:
                  Spotted T Riding Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SpottedTApps View Post
                    Another thought, since you have the chopper already, check into farmers that have already harvested their corn about taking their corn stalks for chopping. It'd be worth looking into at least to test the whole theory out. I've never heard of anyone using chopped stalks before, so wouldn't know how it would work.
                    We actually have a field of old sweet corn that we're going to test it out on....we only just started tossing ideas around today, so haven't started the testing phase!

Comment

There's some farmers around here that bale corn stalks up in big round bales (after the corn has been picked). I don't know what they do with them.

Brushy wood grows pretty fast, and if you had a large woodlot, you could dedicate the whole crop to wood pellets. It's not not anywhere near big enough to be used as lumber, and won't be for many years. Not much different than a corn crop that takes several years to grow. All you'd need besides the capacity to make it into pellets would be some way to grind it up to be suitable to become pellets.

Comment

Originally posted by greysandbays View Post
                        There's some farmers around here that bale corn stalks up in big round bales (after the corn has been picked). I don't know what they do with them.
                        They feed them to cattle. Cattle will eat that stuff. Crazy.
                        Read about my riding adventures at:
                        Spotted T Riding Blog

Comment

I'd like to try hemp bedding. Not available in the US but used in Europe. Also illegal to grow in teh US still I think... but it would grow quick if you could and supposedly makes a good bedding out of the stalks and is very 'green/organic' - no nasty chemicals necessary. I'm no stoner but I've used hemp cord and after reading up on it it sounds like a great crop. The Queen of England supposedly uses hemp bedding in her horses stalls! If it's good enough for the queen it's good enough for me! Any international people use it? Could you grow and process it yourself for bedding?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Gatorsgirl View Post
                            I'd like to try hemp bedding. Not available in the US but used in Europe. Also illegal to grow in teh US still I think... but it would grow quick if you could and supposedly makes a good bedding out of the stalks and is very 'green/organic' - no nasty chemicals necessary. I'm no stoner but I've used hemp cord and after reading up on it it sounds like a great crop. The Queen of England supposedly uses hemp bedding in her horses stalls! If it's good enough for the queen it's good enough for me! Any international people use it? Could you grow and process it yourself for bedding?
                            Well, it's kinda a moot point as it can't be grown, so I'd prefer if it not derail this thread too too much! I'd prefer legal options only...the drug helicopter flies over my farm pretty often.

Comment

We have poplar trees which we planted to provide a windbreak when
                              we purchased our farm. These trees reach a good size within 5 years!
                              You can coppice these trees and they will grow another trunk promptly
                              so the same tree can be cut over and over. If you have or purchase
                              a chipper, you could provide a nearly endless supply of wood chips
                              on which to bed the horses. Finely chipped wood works a lot like
                              sawdust but is less dusty. I would think this would be a fairly ecological approach. While the trees are growing they are absorbing
                              carbon. Since when you cut them you leave the roots and the lowest
                              section of the trunk, you still have the benefit of soil holding roots.
                              And since you are not getting the material from any distance from
                              your stable, you are not using up energy in transporting the bedding
                              to your stable. The only additional consumption is the chipper which
                              should, I hope, be modest.
                              Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
                              Elmwood, Wisconsin

Comment

We used to have hemp bedding where I boarded before I moved my horses home. It was low on dust, but lousy on absorbency, and sort of a pain to muck because it was stringy and clumpy. I didn't like it at all, other than the "low dust" part.

Comment

Of course, the *cheapest* solution is to leave the horses out at night . . .

But I'm sure you've thought of that, and have your reasons for keeping them in at night.
                                  https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                                  Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                                  www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SMF11 View Post
                                    Of course, the *cheapest* solution is to leave the horses out at night . . .

But I'm sure you've thought of that, and have your reasons for keeping them in at night.
                                    Yes, obviously. Like I said, they stay out when it's warmer, but they don't have a shelter so when it gets very cold/winter conditions, I bring them in.

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                      Yes, obviously. Like I said, they stay out when it's warmer, but they don't have a shelter so when it gets very cold/winter conditions, I bring them in.
                                      How long would it take you to recoup the cost of building a shelter? If it's going to save you the cost of bedding, it may be worth it.
                                      Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
                                        How long would it take you to recoup the cost of building a shelter? If it's going to save you the cost of bedding, it may be worth it.
                                        A shelter is already in the works, but it would need to be bedded anyway. Plus, I would still bring them inside during miserable conditions anyway, as I have a dominant gelding who I can easily see not letting the other two inside, no matter how big the shed.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion, please!

Comment

Working...
                                        X