• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Advice needed - farm dog bit my horse!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - farm dog bit my horse!

Hello, I frequently visit the COTH forums but never post...but I need advice.

Yesterday, my horse was bitten by a dog owned by the farm where I board. My horse & I were standing in the barn aisle talking with my farrier, waiting for the Equilox to dry...when all of a sudden we hear a sound and my horse is flying backward and shaking his head in pain with blood all over his muzzle, where the dog grabbed him right between the nostrils.

There are 3 dogs at this farm, the other 2 are very friendly. This large mixed-breed dog, however, was apparently abused as a puppy and now has arthritis so he's in pain a lot of the time. I was told when I brought my horse there that he could be somewhat "weird" at times so I have always kept my distance. To my knowledge, this is the first incident of this kind. I feel badly for the dog, but this was a completely unprovoked attack to my horse!

After complete hysterics on my part, an emergency visit from the vet, and 2 trips to the equine pharmacy, my horse is on anti-inflammatories and antibiotics for 7 days. We were unable to stitch the wounds because the gashes & punctures were deep enough that infection is a concern, especially from an animal bite. The owner told me that the dog will be confined until they "figure out what to do".

I am beyond upset about this, and I really don't know what to do. Should this be reported? To who? Do I just chalk this up to a freak accident and just let it go? I really like where I board, but I can not compromise on my horse's safety, and I am worried that this will become an ongoing issue between me & owner at the barn if the dog is released...your advice is appreciated. Thank you!

"Figure out what to do"?

I would send them a certified letter stating that they are to pay the vet bills and if the dog is not safely contained at all times and/or removed from the premises that you will be leaving without notice given.

Just the fact that they said "figure out what to do" would send me to packing my things, but that's me. People always have an excuse for biting dogs.. they've been abused, they're in pain, they see dead people, whatever...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

^ Just be prepared for them to ask you to leave and have a backup farm in mind with a stall you can move into immediately.

You never know the BO may be totally reasonable when you talk to her about this, she may have just been in shock/a little panicked if she said they would 'figure it out' right after it happened. Be prepared for that to not be the case though.

They should definitely pay the vet bills.

Comment

Oh, so very sorry to hear about your poor horse. I hope he recovers with no ill effects. I suspect the barn owners will put the dog down since he's officially "unsafe". Not to mention he's in pain from arthritis which makes him grouchy and no reputable business needs a "doggy on the edge". Just bad public relations and I'm sure they know that.

If it were my barn and my dog bit a horse I would expect you to give me an itemized bill and then deduct it from the next month's board bill. You like the barn so it behooves you to find a friendly way to keep the serenity. If the dog is consistently restrained or gone, and the unexpected bills are taken care of by them you will be able to enjoy your new barn. Just rein in your emotions for a bit and look at the situation clearly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Vet bills

Thank you for your replies, I should have included in my original post that the owner has said that they will take care of the vet bill. And I completely sympathize with the shock of the situation. But I am concerned that some time will pass, the dog will be released, and what if my horse just puts his head over or under the fence to grab grass & gets bitten again? I feel badly for this dog, but I don't know what the answer is. But my horse's safety is not negotiable with me and I've made this very clear on several occasions to the owner...and now this happens!

Comment

The dog needs to be confined and potentially put on some sort of pain reliever.

If it were me, I would just talk with the BO. The BO is probably very upset and a little scared - just be understanding and not accusatory, and just let them know that if they don't promise to keep the dog 100% confined/on-leash for the rest of its life, you will have to move to another facility.

It shouldn't be that hard to move the "edgy" dog to become an indoor dog, or to build it a kennel of some sort and take it out on a leash. If that is beyond the BO's willingness/ability, it would probably be kindest to put the dog down. (Much as I hate to say it!)

I have a young dog who suffers from arthritis, and he gets grouchy/bitey too (people who don't know better want to pet him behind his head, which is where his arthritis hurts him). So I do understand. BUT, that is why I think it's my responsibility to never, ever put him in a situation where he would bite someone. Certainly not let him loose to run around.

Comment

I understand that you are upset, and rightly so. But the BO has already offered to cover the vet costs, and to confine the dog. I think you are "pre-worrying" how they will handle it. Just go and talk to them, as someone else said, with understanding not accusations, and explain that you are obviously upset and unnerved. Tone is everything. You can say "I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS!!" in a finger-poking way or you can say "I want to know what you are going to do about this" calmly. If that makes sense?

Just say what you've said here- I like boarding here, but if I can't be 100% confident that something like this will never happen again, then I will have to find somewhere else to board, and be prepared to do so.

Good luck and jingles for your boy's sore nose.
              Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Cita, thank you for your insight!

buschkn, very well said, you are absolutely right. Thank you!

Comment

On the 'Should this be reported' - YES, to local animal control authorities, unless you see that BO has already taken appropriate steps either to confine the dog or euth it. Just think for a moment, if this dog is so unpredictable and unfazed by the size of a horse, what would happen if it went after a child? Unless dog owners can prove dog has up to date rabies vaccination, it can, and IMO should be, impounded as a dangerous animal.

I agree with this advice too. ("I would send them a certified letter stating that they are to pay the vet bills and if the dog is not safely contained at all times and/or removed from the premises that you will be leaving without notice given.") and the ("Just say what you've said here- I like boarding here, but if I can't be 100% confident that something like this will never happen again, then I will have to find somewhere else to board, and be prepared to do so.").
                  Last edited by sdlbredfan; Oct. 24, 2009, 03:29 PM. Reason: add content
                  Jeanie
                  RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sdlbredfan, thank you for answering what I think is one of my biggest questions about this whole unfortunate incident. Thankfully I have not been involved in any kind of animal aggression situation before, and I really do not know what the proper "protocol" is and if someone has an obligation to report an incident like this to an official authority. I assume the dog is vaccinated for rabies but do not know for certain, I will ask the BO for proof of vaccination (my horse is current on his shots, including rabies). And yes there are small children at this barn...I will take a deep breath and see what solution the BO presents over the rest of the weekend.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply.

Comment

I would ask the BO what they intend to do with the dog in the future. If they cannot give a honest answer such as "containment and only out on a leash" or re-homing/put down, I would give notice and make every effort to move.

I am sure the BO is mortified and never imagined the dog would bite a horse, but on the other hand, it is the BO's duty to keep the premises safe at all times and now that the dog has had a "free bite" as they say, it will always be deemed to be "unpredictable" if not dangerous.

If I were the BO, I would either rehome the dog or put it down by my local vet. A biting dog can never be trusted and it does appear that this dog is not intimidated by the size of the horse.

Comment

Devils advocate here- Since it sounds as though you didn't see the actual bite occur, it's also reasonable to assume your horse may have unknowningly done something to provoke the bite(i.e. bump the dog on a sore hip, or even bite the dog). Not saying that the dog reacted appropiately by bitting the horse, but it's a little harsh to put all the blame on the dog without knowing EXCTLY what the initial contact was. It's the same as a dog owner not recogonizing that their dog's body language provoked another dog to bite, so your reaction is to blame the dog that bit.

However, if the dog bit because of being that painful to the touch the dog's pain management protocol needs to be readdressed. A child or boarder could have had the same force trying to pet the dog, and with the same consequences. If the pain cannot be adequately managed then the kindest thing for that dog is to put him to sleep. If he acted without provocation then the only reasonable option is to confine him away from other animals and people, or put him to sleep.

If this is truely the very first incident of the dog acting aggressively to the horse I am very suspicious that there was a reason, we just don't know what it was. If i was the owner, and my dog has never shown aggressive behavior before I think my immediate response would have been to lock him up 'until i can figure out what to do' as well. It's not an easy decision to put down an animal, regardless of the reason, and expecting an owner to shoot him on the spot is a little harsh. So far their reactions and behaviors have been totally approiate, and i think that now time will tell. Make sure that any discussion you ahve with them is a discussion and cannot be interpreted as accusations or confrontation.

Katherine
                        Vet Tech
                        You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

I would first start barn shopping, because even if the BO realizes that the entire situation is the dog and owner's fault eventually you will be blamed somehow and will be you that is the bad guy. Whatever triggered the attack, the dog is unsafe to be around horses or people and something really needs to be done by the owner. I hope I'm wrong about the eventual outcome, but everything seems to be so complicated these days. Hope your horse heals quickly and you get over the shock also.
                          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

If they knew the dog was "weird" at times, why in the world was this dog allowed to be loose at all??

As mentioned, how if this was a person or a small child? Your BO has a big unpredictable liability walking loose and damn right better figure something out, like keeping the dog fenced in at all times!

Sorry, but if the BO does nothing, I'd be inclined to find a new place to board. Your horse and yourself shouldn't have to put up with that B.S. and the wondering when it will happen again.
                            MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                            http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Depending on where you live, there are some laws that require people to report all dog bites to the animal control officer. This could be a dedicated ACO, or simply a member of the local police in charge of these matters. The ACO is then responsible for following up with the owner regarding the dog's rabies vaccination status, quarantine etc. Owners can get easily offended if you question them regarding these matters, so its sometimes nice that the ACO can be the 'hard *ss' about the law.

I would NOT assume the dog is vaccinated - many, many farm dogs are not in my experience. It is good that your horse is vaccinated. (There was a horse death recently in my area because it was not properly vaccinated against rabies.)

I would be very diplomatic, but I would expect the dog owner to pay the bills for the bite. Be nice about it. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar", so said my grandma.

If after all that, the dog is still allowed to roam loose, I would move my horse. Good luck,
                              Melissa, DVM

Comment

SOP is to quarantine the dog (no access to any other animals) for 10 days, whether or not the rabies vaccine is current.
                                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Originally posted by Horsegal984 View Post
                                  Devils advocate here- Since it sounds as though you didn't see the actual bite occur, it's also reasonable to assume your horse may have unknowningly done something to provoke the bite(i.e. bump the dog on a sore hip, or even bite the dog). Not saying that the dog reacted appropiately by bitting the horse, but it's a little harsh to put all the blame on the dog without knowing EXCTLY what the initial contact was. It's the same as a dog owner not recogonizing that their dog's body language provoked another dog to bite, so your reaction is to blame the dog that bit.

However, if the dog bit because of being that painful to the touch the dog's pain management protocol needs to be readdressed. A child or boarder could have had the same force trying to pet the dog, and with the same consequences. If the pain cannot be adequately managed then the kindest thing for that dog is to put him to sleep. If he acted without provocation then the only reasonable option is to confine him away from other animals and people, or put him to sleep.

If this is truely the very first incident of the dog acting aggressively to the horse I am very suspicious that there was a reason, we just don't know what it was. If i was the owner, and my dog has never shown aggressive behavior before I think my immediate response would have been to lock him up 'until i can figure out what to do' as well. It's not an easy decision to put down an animal, regardless of the reason, and expecting an owner to shoot him on the spot is a little harsh. So far their reactions and behaviors have been totally approiate, and i think that now time will tell. Make sure that any discussion you ahve with them is a discussion and cannot be interpreted as accusations or confrontation.

Katherine
                                  Vet Tech

This.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistling Dixie View Post
                                    ... The owner told me that the dog will be confined until they "figure out what to do".

I am beyond upset about this, and I really don't know what to do. Should this be reported? To who? Do I just chalk this up to a freak accident and just let it go? I really like where I board, but I can not compromise on my horse's safety, and I am worried that this will become an ongoing issue between me & owner at the barn if the dog is released...your advice is appreciated. Thank you!
                                    Because you do like boarding there, assuming they _do_ keep the dog confined as promised and pay all your vet bills, I would wait for a few days and see what happens before saying anything. (I would, however, start looking for a new barn in case you do need to move.)

"Figure out what to do" may be code for coming to terms with the fact that the dog needs to be euthanized. That's a hard decision to make.
                                    --
                                    Wendy
                                    ... and Patrick

Comment

I think you need to move. You will never be happy and accepting of the dog so it's probably best all round if you found somewhere else to board. It is the dogs home so the owners keeping him confined for the rest of his life, on their own property, may be hard for the owners to take.

I have 5 big dogs and none of them have ever done anything like this, however if one was to act totally out of character and do something like this dog has done then I would rather close down my farm to the boarding public than keep my dog confined for the rest of its life. Sorry but I have a very large farm, my dogs are my farm dogs and its their home. I do understand why you are upset, I might be too if I was you.

Hope your horse is okay and heals up without any complications.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                        Just the fact that they said "figure out what to do" would send me to packing my things, but that's me. People always have an excuse for biting dogs.. they've been abused, they're in pain, they see dead people, whatever...
                                        I agree with this comment. Most people with a biter know he will bite - as the BO here obviously did - and have a truckload of excuses ready to trot out when their lax handling lets him - oopsy! - bite again. I don't care if the OP's horse stuck his/her nose into the dog's ear and snorted loudly, a dog who's liable to bite a 1000lb animal that deeply doesn't belong wandering merrily around a public place. Time to kennel Mr. Cranky. Or possibly freaking medicate him. I'm not a big euth 'em earlier fan, but if a dog's in chronic pain that can't be controlled, WTF?

I'd report the bite, with full expectation of being A) treated like a crackpot by the cops, who generally do not care to deal with animal incidents and B) referred to AC, which also does not generally care to deal with animal incidents.

Comment

Working...
                                        X