• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How deep for pelleted bedding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How deep for pelleted bedding?

For those of you who use pelleted bedding, how deep do you have it? I've started with pelleted for the winter, since my horses are in more due to the rain. I have about an inch over mats. I wet it first before putting it in. But it seems like when I go to clean, it's just one giant pee spot. A lot of damp, not a lot of super wet. I'm taking out the damp, but removing a lot of bedding. Today I put a couple more bags in there to make it more like 2 inches deep, maybe 3. Hoping that keeps the wet spots more concentrated.

Part of my problem is that I have two horses in a small paddock with access to 2 stalls. They seem to prefer being in one stall (based on bedding removal!). They do eat the hay out of both stalls but must use the one for most of the peeing. So maybe it's a lost cause.

For starters, it isn't safe to let two horses get inside such an enclosed space with a resource (hay). Either put each horse in his own stall and shut the door, or leave them out. You are asking for big time vet bills any other way.

Now to the pelleted bedding. For summertime, we put in about an inch, but then they are only in to be fed or if there is a truely horrible storm wherein we are worried about large hail. If they are really going to be IN, then you need more. How much more depends on where in the country you are and how long are they in the stalls and other factors (temperature, does the horse lie down or are they a stall walker or ...)

I find that it works well to not wet the bedding fully, so that there are still some pellets. It will absorb more that way and last longer. You have to get it to dry out in the stall too. If it is soaked with water, it isn't going to absorb any pee.

Beyond that, you need to find out if one of your horses is producing excessive amounts of urine, as this indicates a health problem like IR or Cushings.

Comment

There's two schools of thought on pelleted bedding:
      Lots of places keep the pelleted bedding pretty low...this way it takes 2 minutes to clean but you waste more bedding.
      Others bed pretty deep, which is what I do.
      In at least 4" of bedding over mats, the bedding acts just like a cat's litter box with the scoopable litter. The pee stays in one area and kind of clumps. In shallow bedding the urine spreads on the mat and soaks a *lot* more bedding because the puddle spreads faster than the pellets can soak it up.
      How big are the stalls and how many bags of bedding are you using?
      In a 10x12 with mats you'll want at least 4-5 bags per stall...which will give you a fluffed up bed of about 5-6" deep. In a 12x12 you
      ll want 5-6 bags.
      A good way to activate a stall that's going to have 2 horses urinating in it is to open half the bags needed to start the stall and spread them over the mats dry. Then using a watering can or hose with a sprayer...spray the pellets with about 1/2 gallon water per bag. Yeah, you can use a gallon or more per bag but then you're also using up a lot more of the pellets' absorbing capacity. Turn the pellets that are damp and give them 15 minutes or so to fluff a bit. Then pour the other half of the bags into the stall and stir them up one more time.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

We vary depending on the horse. We use up to 6 bags for a 12 x 12 stall. We do pick the stall several times a day (night turnout) and at night check (day turnout). We wet them pretty thoroughly so they are fluffed up. We have one guy who has not had any added to his stall in 3 weeks (but, he won't pee in his stall unless he absolutely has to!) When we have a really cold snap (pellets freeze as soon as water hits them) we throw shavings on top of the pellets. Works fairly well.

Comment

Do the horses ever look to eat the non broken down yet pellets?

Comment

Only one of mine tried it a couple times...and then only because I was adding new bedding while he was in. According to Pete...a big bag being emptied of pellets in a stall meant feeding time. He turned right around and grabbed a mouthful, started chewing and then tried spitting it all out again.
            Second time he did the same and spit it out again. After that he just ignored the Yucky Fake Grain I was pouring out, LOL!
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

My horse never tries to eat the pellets. Matter of fact, he doesn't eat any grain he spills into the bedding. According to him, the pelleted bedding is nasty stuff and you do not want it in your mouth.

Comment

Hi Susyq, I have actually found that mixing pellets and shavings works well and offers a bit more bedding. I put the pellets, not water down were they tend to go to the bathroom and on the top, normal shavings. The pellets pop right through the normal shavings making it easy to find. One of my guys actually goes directly were the pellets are, he finds them and uses that spot to pee.

Just another thought, idea. Have fun !

Comment

My theory is that one bag might last say two days. Five bags would last at least ten.
                  The pee clumps better and you get the advantage of a bigger, deeper bed. Once fluffed up it is mazing how far they go. Course, as the stall gets cleaned out, more is added, but my point is that useing less pellets is not really a savings. I add at the front, clean out from the back and push the more used stuff to the back where they leave their manure.

I do think they have the ability to keep the feet drier in the winter. My farrier says my horses feet have improved since I used the pellets.
                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I use 5-6 bags per 12 x 12 stall, and it's probably 3"-ish. I liked 8 bags a lot better, but that got pretty expensive.

Comment

We use 8 bags/12x12 stall over mats. The horses all sleep flat out every night (guess it's comfy? Or we have lazy horses ) and you waste much, much less bedding with so much volume to absorb and clump immediately. It's a bit of a hassle picking poop piles with so much extra bedding (especially right after a stall strip with a full eight bags just added) but only for my horse that tends to walk his hay/poop/pee in circles and really mix it up.

Plus, my grey horse stays much more white!

Comment

Huh. We don't wet. Dump em in a pile in the center of the stall and let the horse spread them by walking, and break them down themselves with pee or feet.

And yes, my TB tried a bite of them. Did not enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                          In at least 4" of bedding over mats, the bedding acts just like a cat's litter box with the scoopable litter. The pee stays in one area and kind of clumps. In shallow bedding the urine spreads on the mat and soaks a *lot* more bedding because the puddle spreads faster than the pellets can soak it up.
                          Agree with this 100%. I really found this out before I bought pellets by the pallet load (85 bags) and would skimp or run out before my next trip to the feed store. If they get too thin, one good pee will drench the entire stall as it spreads. Deeper is better; the "clump" will be sort of *vertical* and easy to remove.

As for the two horses in one stall, thing, my stalls are open all day for a run in; one stall for each horse. When we had an elderly gelding my mare would stall with him EVERY single day. You couldn't keep them apart and we never had any issues. But it does depend on your herd. She will NEVER let the new gelding in her stall, and I'm sure if he tried she'd take a big bite out of him.

We do find, however, that they sometimes take turns using the same stall as the "toilet". Different issue, though.

Comment

We've just had a VERY humid/wet summer and fall. I just switched to the straw pellets......and when it's really humid, I feel the straw bedding holds the moisture too.........so it doesn't clean as easily. However, my shavings did the same!
                            www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Comment

We keep about 3 inches in our stalls, for our horses that are stalled 10-14 hours per day (day in summer, night in winter). Really, it's 2 (end of week) to 4 (beginning of week) inches.

Once you have that base, we've found we only need to add one bag to each stall per week (Sundays ). And we have two horses that do their best not to pee in their stalls, so for them it's even less. My standing order is 15 bags per month for 5 horses, and most of the time that works out fine.

I wet down stalls once, sometimes twice a week to minimize dust. A little more for the horses that don't pee in their stalls.

We had a real problem with two of the horses eating the pellets when we first made the switch a few years ago. After about a week they figured it out.
                              "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                              <>< I.I.

Comment

Working...
                              X