Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

5:00 AM Wake up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5:00 AM Wake up

I have just about had it. Every morning at 5:00 the dog in the next neighborhood starts barking...and barking...and barking. He doesn't quit and I'm sure I'm not the only person who is being rudely awakened every single morning at 5:00. Finally I get up after laying there hoping he'll drop dead or be brought back in the house. I believe I know which house it's coming from and I think the owner has no idea this is happening because they probably put the dog out before heading off to work.

On weekends it's even worse. The barking goes on all day long if the owner isn't home.

I have just about had a bellyfull and want to take action. So, nasty note or nice note? Start off with nice note and then progress to nasty note? What to say? ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I would do a civil face to face convo personally.

I just moved apartments and the people above me have a dog that howls constantly when they aren't home. It howled for 6 hours straight the day before a big midterm so I finally went up a few days ago to speak to them when I thought they were home (dog wasn't howling). I was nice and polite but told them it not only upset my dogs but was preventing me from studying or relaxing in my home.

They could have been rude and told me to get over it but luckily they were sensible and very nice. They didn't know he did it and bought a bark collar the next day and started leaving the radio on for him when they leave. He hasn't howled since! yay!!

A note could just be miconstrued IMO and pissed off neighbors are less likely to try and problem solve with you IME.

Comment

depends on the people in a way. Problem is if they don't react nicely then the police end up having to be called they will suspect it was you even if you aren't the one who calls. My next door neighbor was doing the same thing, leaving a puppy outside but they were home (idiots) and just let him whine and bark and cry. They are rather shady looking characters (loads of strange people in out of house at all hours, etc) so I chose not to say anything luckily the pup outgrew it pretty quickly. However an anonymous note might work and then follow up with a call to police. The police will just go by and check it out, more than likely they won't get in trouble.

Sorry I know face to face sounds more civil, but again I think it depends on who you are dealing with. My neighbors, no way I would have done a face to face.

Comment

Eh, call me gutless, but in this day and age I personally am not going to traipse over to someone's house that I don't know and tell them I have a problem with their dog, nicely put or not! I have property, horses, and other animals to think about and wouldn't want retaliation. This person could VERY WELL not know their dog is doing this, but that doesn't mean they're going to be all rainbows and puppies when you point it out. I'm leery and would leave a polite but anonymous note. That way if you have to escalate it you won't be the bad one. Sure they'll know it was one of their neighbors, but I personally think it's safer.

Comment

Check your local laws, some neighborhoods actually have laws directly related to dogs barking. The area my aunt and uncle live in has a law that if the dog is barking for 15 minutes straight you start getting fines. Every times there's an offense the fine goes up and so on. Maybe check the local laws first to see if there's something related to this first, I would then send an anonymous note so that way you're not starting trouble with them. Call authorities next if it doesn't quit. Make it a nice note, they might not know it's happening and may be more than willing to fix it if they aren't being attacked about it.
          The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Comment

True. I did bring my boyfriend with me just in case but I can see your point. I've always been okay with face to face confrontation and since it's an apartment building it's a little different situation then owning a farm I suppose.

Comment

Ugh, I know how you feel. I lived next door to a lady for a YEAR with this same issue. She was a doctor, had just gotten divorced, and apparently got "stuck" with two dogs she clearly didn't want. Being a doctor at a hospital, she worked very long hours. Guess where the dogs stayed when she wasn't home? Outside in a tiny yard that was all concrete and pool... Oh, she also left them outside at night even when she was home.

I felt so awful for these dogs, but I also secretly wanted them to drop dead, haha (not really, just when I was exhausted). She'd had neighbors go talk to her, neighbors had called the police, humane society, animal control, etc. She NEVER changed her habits. I just slept with earplugs and a fan for a year and kind of got used to it until I moved... Their favorite thing to do besides whining, howling, and barking, was dragging some sort big plastic thing all over the concrete all night - and yes, it was loud.

Anyway, I understand both points of view presented by previous posters: leave a note so you don't have to deal with unpleasant or sketchy neighbor wrath, or talk to them in person. If you live in a nice area and feel that they are probably nice safe people, go have a chat with them (maybe bring a boyfriend or a large guy friend, haha). If you worry they might be nasty or sketchy, leave a nice note to start. Is there any sort of neighborhood committee thing? Then if a note doesn't work, call the cops. Also, if you know some others in the area that are equally annoyed, you could try to get them to back you up if the owner gets indignant, and they also may help give you a little background on the offending neighbors.

Sucks though. A lot of times there's not much you can do. Earplugs are a big help if you can get used to sleeping in them. I could always still hear just enough to wake up to an alarm but could more easily ignore things I was trying to not hear = )

Comment

Nuisance barking is a really touchy subject, I think. For some people the its like telling them their kid is ugly. When I was a kid we had neighbors abutting the rear of our property that bred some kind of husky mixes. Their kennel was RIGHT on the property line and the dogs barked all day and all night. My parents complained and it made things really uncomfortable in the neighborhood.

I'm not a fan of the whole note thing, but I don't know what your neighborhood is like. A lot depends on the relationship you have with them and other people who live around you. Personally, I'd go with some kind of white noise machine (fan?) or earplugs. Just because I know how these situations tend cause tension.

Comment

Originally posted by alacrity View Post
                  Nuisance barking is a really touchy subject, I think. For some people the its like telling them their kid is ugly.
                  Ahahaha! So true!

Comment

We used to have this problem. Hubby HATES dogs barking at night, and I hate being kept awake by an angry hubby.

The simple solution was an el-cheapo box fan from the local big-box store, stands in the corner and softly whirrs all night long. Hubby now sleeps soundly all night long.

I don't like to tell people that their dog is bothering me. If something happens to the dog, then you catch blame for it. For instance, they forget to close the gate one day, dog gets out and run over while they are at work, and they think YOU must have let the dog out so it got hit by a car.

Comment

I second the box fan -- have used one every night since the old college dorm days. I actually have slept through major windstorms like a baby. Point it towards you in warm weather and away during cold. Just turned it off this morning at 6:00 am. Works like a charm!

Comment

Yes, check your local noise ordinance. I hate to say it, but my family had one of those dogs that would just bark and bark for stretches of time. We did get a police visit, as one of the neighbors did call about it one afternoon. The officer told us about the boro noise ordinance which pretty much states no loud noise from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am., so it was okay as long as the dog was quiet after 10:00pm. He also said that the neighbor called because she was concerned about the dog . Anyhow, we made sure to bring him in before 10 and everything was fine.

It was helpful to know about the noise ordinance for other stuff, like when roofers could start working in the morning and when I can complain about my neighbors partying on weeknights, so I can sleep and get up at 5:30 every morning

Comment

How far away is it? Maybe you could get their neighbor to put one of these up:

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/

Comment

I went through the exact same thing. The last straw was when the dog got out at 5:00 AM and barked continually. This dog bothered them so they used to keep it outside all the time. the dog was behind an electric fence. It stayed in the front yard barking nonstop so didn't hear her because they sat in the backroom and their bedrooms are on the back of their house. We are on a pipe stem, their front yard happens to be right beside the back of our house so it sounded like the dog was barking directly under our bedroom windows and the backroom where we would sit at night. Friends over would comment because we couldn't leave the patio door open or we couldn't hear the TV or ourselves talk. Would bark until 10:00 or so at night and start 5:00/6:00 every morning. I called her and talked to her but it still happened. She was apologetic, understood, said the dog bothered them too. I ended up calling my friend who worked with the county to ask what I should do. She advised me to call so and so and tell them what was happening. I did this. Next thing I know the police show up at their door about 7:00 AM asking about the dog. Neighbor is livid and wants to know who called the police. They say, your neighbor. Now, I explained to the person I talked to that I just wanted info, what were my rights, quiet time hours, etc. I didn't want police involved because I sure didn't want to make an enemy out of my neighbors. I guess I told them the address or gave them mine, don't remember. Police told them that if they came out again they would be ticketed. They confronted me and I denied. After all, I didn't call the police! They did heed the law though and the dog is no longer left out all the time. The electric fence was moved closer in so the dog had to stay out behind their house. It's taken 3 years and we are just now really speaking again. They have since moved the fence out again so the dog is barking out front but she no longer is let out early, left out all day or let out at night. My story is a little different because I had a friend or gave me a person's name who took the matter into their own hands. Normally, that doesn't work. I really didn't want the police out as I knew I would be blamed, I still was even though I denied it.
                            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.
                            -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Here, you can contact AC. I know this because my "usually " silent dog decided to start barking at cats, skunks people(and there were some) in the alley at 4am after I headed to work. My lovely neighbor Dorthy called AC, I was met with a note from AC and I invested in a bark collar. And left the dogs in when I went to work.
                              I don't want barking either, so I understand the frustration involved. Though at the time I was a teeny bit cranky about it, but when I took a step back I was far from unhappy with Dorthy.
                              They might be blissfully unaware that the dog barks when they aren't home... you might be doing them a favor

Comment

I suggest you get a rooster, he will start crowing at 4:30, which will wake you up and then you don't have to worry about 5:00am......

Sorry, I am always thinking, but not always right.........

Comment

Call them when the dog is barking. Block your phone # from caller id.
                                  It will wake them up.
                                  They will hear the dog even if they don't answer the phone.
                                  Ask them nicely to bring the dog in because it is barking.

rinse and repeat a necessary/

L

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions. This is a pretty nice neighborhood and really no neighbor problems. The dog people live about 1/4 a mile away across the main road and in another development. Nice place and I assume nice people. I think they don't know the dog is barking constantly because they are at work or away from the house. In interest of neighborhood peace, I may just go for earplugs but it bugs me that I have to make accommodations for their dog. My husband can sleep though an atomic bomb but I'm a light sleeper so when this dog starts barking, I'm awake.
                                    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by lorilu View Post
                                      Call them when the dog is barking. Block your phone # from caller id.
                                      It will wake them up.
                                      They will hear the dog even if they don't answer the phone.
                                      Ask them nicely to bring the dog in because it is barking.

rinse and repeat a necessary/

L
                                      Just make sure you've got the right number
                                      We too were kept awake at night by a neighbours noisy dog. That dog drove me crazy! The breaking point was the phone ringing at 2AM from a blocked ID. He left an extremely nasty message about "our" dog. Next time he called I was sure to answer and tell him NOT our dog, its the people who live behind us, please don't call me at 2AM. Guess he didnt believe me cause he called out the bylaw AND the SPCA, who came out. Too bad we didnt have a dog.

Comment

I hate my neighbor's dogs as well, nothing we can really do about it (small subdivision...this is our first house, now I know better).

It's the typical "we have kids now so the dogs are second class citizens" family. The dogs are usually tossed outside where they BARK BARK BARK omg it is so annoying. Also they leave the dogs in during the day which is nice, however their windows are open so the dogs are just as loud. It's wonderful on those rare saturday mornings when I am able to sleep in...and am interrupted by the dogs barking.

I don't even know why some people have dogs. If you never show them any attention and throw them outside all the time, what is the point?
                                        Originally posted by barka.lounger
                                        u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

Working...
                                        X