• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Another ? for those who had barns built- nails, metal shards, screws oh my!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ? for those who had barns built- nails, metal shards, screws oh my!

So... I feel like the crazy person who can't be happy for what she has (I am ECSTATIC that I'm having a barn built- don't get me wrong!) but I'm terrified to ever put my horses in it. It's going to be surrounded by the pasture on 3 sides so the horses will have access to the absolute mess that the workers are leaving behind. I have picked up hundreds of screws and nails- we're talking 5-6" long weapons here! That was bad enough (they're pretty easy to spot) but I went out today and was almost in tears. There are metal shards everywhere from where they started cutting trim and siding. From teeny tiny to large chunks. I will NEVER be able to find all of them. There's not a chance on earth that I could find any of them in the grass, I've just been picking up those in the gravel/dirt/dust. They've only done part of the trim and one wall! Is this a normal part of construction? What did you do!?! Do those rolling magnets work? These metal pieces are razor sharp, literally and some are near impossible to see. They are on all sides of the barn. It seems like a death wish! ...or at least $$$ medical bills waiting to happen. What did you do?

Here you go ...

reviews of metal detectors

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

Happy hunting ... and, eventually, a relaxed existence with your horses and new barn.
    Nevertheless, she persisted.

Comment

I know the feeling! I used a magnet - think it was purchased at Home Depot. Went out every day at least once and walked around with it. I felt like I would never be able to pick it all up, but my girls have been happily living in their new place for almost six months and "knock on wood" haven't had any issue.

Breathe and Good luck with your new place!

Comment

One of those big, extra-strength magnets that farriers use would be helpful. I believe roofers also use something similar to pick up loose roofing nails.

How about these?

http://magnets.preferredwebdesign.com/brooms-rakes.asp
        I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I think I'll get a magnet AND a detector! I'm sure everyone driving by will think I've definitely lost it, but maybe I'll eventually feel safe. If my horse wasn't so damned accident prone I wouldn't be so worried! I swear to god if there's one piece left out there he'll be sure to find it lol.

Comment

You can rent a Nail Magnet at most rental places.

Comment

Picking up every last little bit is the job of the construction crew. Talk to the supervisor and ask him when his crew will be doing the clean-up work and getting all the metal screws, nails, trim out of the dirt. Yes, they won't get every bit but they will get 98% of it. Often they wait until the end of the job until they do that.

Let them know that you will withhold final payment until every piece of trash, screw, etc has been removed.
              Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cielo Azure View Post
                Picking up every last little bit is the job of the construction crew. Talk to the supervisor and ask him when his crew will be doing the clean-up work and getting all the metal screws, nails, trim out of the dirt. Yes, they won't get every bit but they will get 98% of it. Often they wait until the end of the job until they do that.

Let them know that you will withhold final payment until every piece of trash, screw, etc has been removed.
                Well.... it was kind of paid in full at the beginning to get the "sale price". My mom had her barn built by them and although she never thought to warn me about this just told me they left her barn a mess. According to the contract "normal construction debris will be collected and piled up. This will remain for the purchaser to remove or otherwise dispose." I knew we'd have to remove all the trash from the site, but according to my mom the picking up didn't include nails and scrap.

Comment

The crew is supposed to have a magnet and someone picking up.

We have the little 3' one on wheels and a big one we hang from the gator or tractor, like this one with the pallet point brackets and large eye screws to hang it from a chain:

http://www.ipesmag.com/t-Sweepers.aspx

They are indispensable when you weld and use nails or screws, as you can't hardly keep track of every little piece.

Comment

My grandfather and uncles come from generations of contractors, and if they left such a mess, they'd have been fired. I've been on many jobsites with them, and they were meticulous about the jobsite. There was always someone wheeling a magnet around picking up anything that might have fallen.

If I were you, I'd be on the phone to the contractor requesting they send their crew back out to pick up every last piece of scrap.

That kind of sloppiness is unacceptable.

Comment

After having a run-in built and being floored by the pile of trash that the contractors left for me (and they pointed that same clause out to me in the contract), I negotiated with my barn builders to remove their trash. I also spoke with the foreman about the dangers of the nails and shards to the horses and they tried to pick things up as they went. BUT, there will always be some left over. I had a strong magnet, but even a year later, I would still find a nail here and there. They can get buried as they work. So, talk with the workers, explain nicely the situation, and I'll bet they'll try to pick stuff up. Enjoy the new barn!!

Comment

I'm spoiled..

because the guy that built the barn and arena is a horse guy himself. And while I have picked up a few of the 'we were on the roof and dropped that one" nails during construction (just as I saw them to help) when this guy is done, there isn't even a cigarette butt left to pick up. That said, the site itself was questionable, a really good metal detector and a sharp small shovel is your friend. Sale price my ass, tell them to clean it up!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                          there isn't even a cigarette butt left to pick up.
                          Ugh, so far it was so gross to look at that we've picked up red bull cans, water bottles, and trash. I told my husband to stop because we're not their freaking maids. Earlier today when I came in I vaguely remember seeing a rotting banana peel, plastic fork, pop can, and bottle of some sort. They're pigs.

Comment

If you got a good price, you may have to pick up the nails yourself. Northern Tool catalogue has magnets. I have a magnet on a stick that I got from some catalogue. It works well but is tedious to use.

My house roofers left thousands of nails that seem to have embedded themselves in the ground. It has been a year, and I am still finding nails after every heavy rain. I have thought about getting one of the magnets on wheels. It is important to try to get all of the nails picked up. Puncture wounds to the foot are not good injuries.

Comment

How about sitting a big trash can out for the guys--maybe they would get the hint??????
                              Might ask the contractor to have them cut the siding outside of the area where the horses
                              will be.

Comment

You can buy a bunch of cow magnets and tie a string around them, then drag it around and it ill collect a lot of debris on it...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Luckydonkey View Post
                                  You can buy a bunch of cow magnets and tie a string around them, then drag it around and it ill collect a lot of debris on it...
                                  Huh... cow magnets. Learn something new every day!

Comment

Wow, what a mess.. I am so sorry you are having to deal w/this.

Mr. EqT builds everything here. He is a neat freak. The last thing he built was a run-in and I asked him if I needed to look for lost nails... his expression was hilarious. "Lost nails? No lost nails. I don't lose nails for horses to step on!"

Thank God.

The cow magnet.. I like that idea...
                                    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                    ---
                                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

So would a cow magnet be stronger than the sweeper magnet?

Comment

Ok, I'll ask. What's a cow magnet?

Comment

Working...
                                        X