• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Treated or untreated wood for stalls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treated or untreated wood for stalls?

Alright... the guy at the lumber yard looked at me like I had 3 heads when I wanted untreated tongue and groove for the stalls aside from the bottom few rows that are in contact with the ground and wet shavings. He said nobody buys untreated and it's perfectly fine for horses. His knowledge was that it was arsenic that was use to treat the wood and that's what was toxic, but there's nothing in it to hurt them anymore. Said he could get untreated but had no idea why I wanted it. So... thought I would ask the COTH pros before I bought anything!

I don't know the details--someone here will, for sure--but it's true that the chemicals used to treat the wood are different now.

You will get a lot of different opinions on this--I used treated wood throughout. Horses have not had a problem with it but no extensive beavering going on. Others feel it's a problem. Your call.
    Tinwhistle Farm

Comment

Your guy was right - the chemicals to treat the wood no longer include arsenic.

That said, two of the barns we've done have been treated on the bottom, and untreated on the top. But we stained/sealed the untreated wood on the outside, to keep the bugs and the mould off.

If you put your tongue-in-groove in a J channel or U channel, it won't matter whether or not it's treated, as the wood will be able to expand and contract according to its moisture content. The biggest problem with treated tongue-in-groove in fixed stall walls is that the wood tends to shrink quite a bit. If that's not an issue, either will do. As N&B&T said, your call.
      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
      A life lived by example, done too soon.
      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Treated wood will last longer, and often horses won't chew it as badly.

You have to understand that horses LOVE wood, and untreated pine, softer woods, are like candy. They will reduce your new untreated wood walls to scrap in no time at all, treated wood might take a bit longer to chew down. Insects also LOVE untreated wood, help weaken it with boring and chewing from the inside out. Raw wood products like boards, just have a very hard life in the barn if not protected.

Most woods are now treated with copper based products, have the greenish cast to the color as new wood. Arsenic isn't used that I know of, leaches into the soil, cancer causing, like the previous creosote preservatives now unavailable. Treated wood shrinks a LOT, as does untreated wood. Something to consider when building barns and stall walls.

You should plan on edging any wood corners that stick out, windows, top boards, door edges, so horse can't get started chewing. This would be for both untreated or treated wood. The real wood chewers are not discouraged by treated wood, you have to still protect wood with covered or metal edgings.

We used rough-cut lumber from the sawmill, oak. Tasted very bad with the tannin, nasty texture with not having been planed smooth. We still covered all edges, did not give horses a place to nibble any of the wood.

Comment

Treated for the bottom board, untreated for the rest.
          I will either use spar varnish or a stain or something else to seal the untreated wood, but I think less is better as far as chemicals that penetrate the wood from a harmful to the environment and carcinogenic. I will use it on the bottom board just because of termites and contact with the ground.

I also do not use treated wood for my decks either.
          save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

I didn't do tongue and groove, but did put treated for the bottom two boards and rough cut 5/4'" oak on up. It's wearing like iron.
            www.hollyrunstables.com

Comment

the horses will not eat the oak, but they will eat pine, so you need to buy some angle iron. You put it on the top board, and the angle sits on top and around the stall side, basically an L shape. The horses can't get to the pine and it saves your pine boards.
              save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

We re-boarded our stalls using oak boards - the boards were put through a "finisher" - to smooth them and thus avoid snagging blankets. The oak looks good and wears extremely well.
                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I used u-channels with 2x6 lumber pine. First three were Pt, rest were not treated.

Why? Because the untreated is a whole lot cheaper! If he is selling the lumber to you then of course he will want you to buy the more expensive stuff. You only buy PT where you need to, when the wood will come in contact with moisture.

I did not use tongue and grove, however if it is only available in PT then that would limit you.
                  No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Comment

Availability of the untreated usually isn't an issue. If a dealer only stocks treated T&G, they can get untreated T&G, even if it's a special order. As MSP said, the untreated is a lot cheaper, and there's less call for it, so dealers often won't stock or promote it. Doesn't mean they can't get it, though, and usually pretty quickly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I haven't bought wood in FOREVER so had no idea how much to expect. He quoted $9.69 for a treated 2x6x12 tongue and groove board. Curious how much the untreated is now!!

Will it make a difference regardless if I'm staining and varnishing to seal it?

Comment

It's best to wait awhile to paint/varnish/stain treated wood. It's pretty wet from the treating process and it needs to dry sufficiently to take the paint et al. The exception to that is if it is kiln dried after treatment to reduce the moisture content.

I used all treated for my stalls since it is a shedrow barn and all the boards are exposed to the weather with the exception of the half wall fronts which have the protection of the overhang, that wasn't significant enough volume to do with white wood.

The chemicals in treated wood are now all copper based and in some cases micronized copper so the boards don't have a green tint. It's a super nice and affordable product and really great for decks, stalls, etc.
                        Last edited by Debbie; Sep. 3, 2009, 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
                        If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

You really only need the treated wood at the bottom row, not the rest of it. It won't hurt anything if you use treated wood throughout but the untreated wood is so much cheaper than the treated one. The current treating process is no longer toxic.

I highly recomment that you stain all four sides of the wood to protect moisture from entering. Those wood will cost you a small fortune so you want to do everything you can to protect your investment.

Oh another thing is, if you use T&G, longer is not necessarily better... It is usually cheaper per linear foot if you get longer ones (ex 16' vs 12') but it is such a hug pain to tab a long not-perfectly-straight board together... That 2' and 4' make a huge difference as to how easy it is to handle.

Comment

I have treated along the bottom, untreated the rest of the way up with galvanized chew-guards EVERYWHERE that a horse could possibly reach. Sealed all the stalls with all-purpose deck/concrete sealer. Three years later, the stalls are 100% sound, no damage, holding up great.

DO make sure, if you're buying pressure-treated lumber, to lay it down, weight it, and let it dry before you cut or use it. It will warp like crazy if you cut and use it while it's still wet.
                            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I use treated wood but not conventional treated wood. Never had a problem.

oak - pressure treated to remove water. Not pressure treated in the conventional sense where they add chemicals to keep out bugs. Just to lower the water content.

Then I used a water sealer that is safe for livestock. Cost 35.00 for five gallons, but works a treat, and only reapply after 5 years. Oh, jeez, what is that stuff..ok here it is: tung oil. Works a treat and horses don't seem to crib or chew the boards, repels water and bugs.

Comment

I used treated lumber for only the bottom boards, as many pp have done.

Although the newer alternatives are less toxic, they're not completely non-toxic.

Here's a link to the MSDS of Copper Azole, one common preservative currently in use http://www.petersonwoodtreating.com/CA_MSDS.pdf
                                "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                                -Edward Hoagland

Comment

thanks for this thread...
                                  my little barn is about complete, and builder used treated on the bottom two boards and untreated up top...
                                  but, its all pine. This is inside an older existing outbuilding and we were amazed at how nasty the carpenter bees were in the frame boards (which were all red cedar, so I dunno ? if that made a difference?) Anyway...I had read that staining/sealing can help deter the insects as well, ,so can anyone comment on what would be best to use? Also...I DO want to cover the exposed edges with metal, but am curious if anyone can suggest where / what to get that is most inexpensive?

TIA!
                                  ayrabz
                                  "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
                                  --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Angle iron is your friend, in the stalls.

For the stall doors, if you have low ones, it's even easier and cheaper; get a length of 3" PVC pipe, split it, and put it over the top of the stall door. The circumference is too large for even the most determined cribber/chewer to get its jaws around it, and even if they do, they can't pull it off. Works a treat.

As for the wood treatment, Thompson's Water Seal is great, and comes in a variety of finishes/colors.

Comment

Working...
                                    X