• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone do their own barn insulation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone do their own barn insulation?

The barn should hopefully be started here in a couple of weeks. Maybe... it's been a nightmare! We are thinking about insulation and have no clue about barn insulation. The barn my horses are at now is not insulated. I'm pretty clueless and DH is not the handiest shall we say... Does yours have regular fiberglass house-type insulation? I've seen some with the really thin shiny silver type insulation as well. No idea what that is. We're going to line the inside of the barn (in between the posts so it's right up against the metal) since the horses have access to the outside. So can the insulation go between that plywood and the tongue and groove or other wood that the barn is finished in on the inside? Or would it have to go behind that plywood? So confused... If we can't afford to do the entire thing right away, would you imagine that it would still be beneficial at least around the stalls? Tips? Hints? Instructions?

My husband insulated our barn with this insulation that came from Canada in big roles! It is very shiny on one side and white on the other, we put the shiny side out against the metal then tacked it up, and it really does keep our pole barn a lot warmer in the winter than most. It was easy to use and to put up. It looks like a big role of the bubble wrap we use to send things but sorry, I don't know what it is exactly called.

I would hesitate to put any type of insulation that if the horse decides to chew or pick at or breath in such as the fiberglass insulation or what not. Good luck on getting the barn up and all, I know what a headache that can be. We hired friends to do the frame and they screwed it up so badly my husband had to go and redo much of it as it was not centered or even.

Comment

If money is not very tight, ask about spray on foam.

That is all they are using around here any more, is what we used in our well house and it works much better than anything you have to handle one piece or roll at the time.

Ask around who does that foam insulation spray and talk to them.

Every barn, metal garage, shop, warehouse around here has that for insulation any more and it is working very well.

Comment

just one thing to keep in mind: Fire protection

you can add a lot of piece of mind if you make sure it's not highly flamable.

Anyhow, hit up a couple of stores, not just the 2 big box ones, they can tell you a lot about the materials.

Insulating isn't rocket science, but depending on what you use a bit messy (or a lot) I had not had the pleasure to deal with new construction, but I have seen it used on TV, the blown in foam stuff rocks! Spray in, cut excess, done.
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

We built our barn and it was a freakin' nightmare - we built it just the two of us, including the concrete foundation, brick aisle, insulation, wiring.... .good GOD it was a Project From Hell.

Anyway.....

We used spray foam insulation and it has exceeded all our expectations. The exterior of the barn is Hardipanel, the interior is plywood (fully framed; my perch x kicks the wall and does not damage)

We applied it ourselves - I can email you a photo if you want. We purchased the tanks from a supplier and brought them home. Easy peasy.

We sprayed the walls with Talstar first - but you don't have to do that (it's a pesticide but I don't know how effective it is)

It's been several years since we sprayed that barn. The barn stays cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter. I don't like the barn to be warm of course, but water does not freeze so I don't spend as much money on bucket heaters except on the very very coldest days of the year (we had single digits last winter) Temps have been almost 100 the past few days (heat index was like 105 I think)- and the barn was in the high 80's at the hottest part of the day.

NO mice. None. No creepy crawlies scuttling out of cracks. No chewing sounds in the walls. No mold. Effective wind barrier and sound barrier as well.

No freezing pipes in the tack/feed room (which is heated but only to 50 degrees and two of the pipes are in the walls)

We're slllllooooowwwly renovating the house now and we'll be using spray foam in the walls - after we get all the mouse turds out. Bleh bleh bleh.

Spray foam is more expensive - but there are ways to minimize its cost yet still give superior insulation. You can apply the foam only to one or two inches - then fill the cavity with a more conventional type of insulation. Or just apply one or two inches of foam - you do not necessarily need to fill the entire cavity - it all depends upon your insulation needs.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I'm pretty sure this is the company we purchased the foam from. http://www.fomofoam.com/ There is some information on that site which may or may not be helpful tp you. There is fire rated foam insulation if you're interested. However, the regular foam insulation is fire resistant.

I have pretty high standards and was very very very fussy over what went in the barn. I drove my husband crazy. Nope - can't do this. Nope - won't have that. Too big. Too small. Too expensive. Too cheap. Oh, I was just a joy to be around. The spray foam got a big thumbs up from me - which is saying something.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

My friend is building her indoor/barn right now. The barn part actually only has tie stalls, wash stall, tack room, kitchenette, bathroom, etc. but they are contractors and even though they have done everything themselves so far, they are hiring out the insulation (subcontractor they work with on houses) and going with spray in for all the reasons listed in the above posts. I'm super excited. It might be the first winter I can stand being at the barn.
            DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Spray foam is the way to go if you can afford it. Fiberglass is a definite NO. You can also get foil/bubble/poly in rolls that is easy to install (the bubble wrap type stuff). This place- http://www.insulation4less.com/foil-...white_poly.asp is probably one of the cheapest I've found, but I haven't done any business with them.

Not insulating my barn when we built it is my biggest regret. You won't be sorry if you spend a couple/few thousand now and at least insulate the roof.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! I WISH we could do the spray foam, I'm just not sure it's in the budget. It definitely isn't in the budget to have someone do it, but the diy foam kits I saw might be doable for at least part of the barn. You know how it goes with building a barn... unexpected $$$ popping up all over the place. After looking, at least some kind of insulation- like the rolls of silver kind will be more than possible. At least that will be better than nothing, right?

Comment

My only piece of advise is to do some research about the stimulus money available for energy saving construction. I believe that insulation only applies to existing structures and up to 30% of $4500 and for the next two years.... but! New buildings (and exisiting ones) can qualify for a rebate of 30% with no limit for all kinds of other things- solar power, solar heat, etc.

Links!
                  http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index
                  http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/index.cfm?state=us

Good Luck! New barn is so exciting!

Comment

In both the house and the barn, we considered doing it ourselves. In both cases, it was cheaper to pay an Insulation Co. to come in and do it all.

Comment

Do you really need to insulate the barn? Horses generate a whole lot of body heat and all the humidity and heat are recipet for mold and bacteria to grow in the insullation material. Plus, horses tolerate cold much better than we are but they are susceptible to stale air. To me, ventilation is more important than warmth.

In most climate, the only insulation needed is the tack room/lounge area, and right under the roof (the foam type not the fiberglass), not the entire barn, and certainly not for stalls...

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, horses can tolerate the cold, but insulating also keeps it cooler in the summer as well. You can still have an insulated, well-ventilated barn! Insulation alone is not going to cause a barn to stay 40 degrees when it's below zero outside. Let's face it though... when you have to be in the barn for hours when it's zero degrees out, anything to take the edge off the chill is going to be nice. It also helps buckets not freeze as well which is beneficial to the horse (and uses less electricity). From my understanding, a lot of insulation actually acts as a vapor barrier not allowing moisture to come in contact with the wood, thus minimizing the mold you're talking about. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Comment

I have the roll insulation in my walls...and have the rolls to do my rooof but haven't done that yet.
                          No rodents at all in my barn, no condensation, slightly cooler in summer (need to do the roof to make a summer difference) and warmer in winter due to holding in whatever heat the horses generate and no drafts from the wind. The windows, doors, eave vents, ridge vent and cupola add the ventilation. In summer we also use the roof vent fans.
                          Easy for us to do because our barn was a prefab, so the interior was studs. The rolls fit exactly between the studs, then we added plywood walls over the insulation. Considering the fact that hubby and I are DIY morons...it was pretty easy.
                          You jump in the saddle,
                          Hold onto the bridle!
                          Jump in the line!
                          ...Belefonte

Comment

If you don't seal your barn, you will lose a lot of benefit of insulation as in winters cold air will leak in and warm air will leak out, and vice versa in summers, thus greatly defeating the purpose of the insulation. And if you do seal your barn, all the humidity from horses, hay dust, bedding dust, are trapped in the barn causing another whole slewt of problems. Of course you can also spend a whole lot of money designing sophisticated ventilation system.

I much prefer hanging some infrared heaters to provide warmth. But that is just me. If you like insulation, I'm certainly not in the business to dispursuade you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                              Considering the fact that hubby and I are DIY morons...it was pretty easy.
                              Now that's what I need to hear.

Comment

LOL...if *we* can put it up then you can put up your own insulation.

And this is coming from the two fools who not only followed the instructions but also had live help support on the phone when putting up their fencing and still managed to put it up backwards.
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                                  If you don't seal your barn, you will lose a lot of benefit of insulation as in winters cold air will leak in and warm air will leak out, and vice versa in summers, thus greatly defeating the purpose of the insulation. And if you do seal your barn, all the humidity from horses, hay dust, bedding dust, are trapped in the barn causing another whole slewt of problems. Of course you can also spend a whole lot of money designing sophisticated ventilation system.

I much prefer hanging some infrared heaters to provide warmth. But that is just me. If you like insulation, I'm certainly not in the business to dispursuade you.
                                  Insulation in a barn isn't to seal it up, it's more to buffer the radiant heat and cold and keep it mostly either in or out. In the summer I can feel the heat radiating down from my metal roof - insulation would mitigate that problem quite a bit. In winter there's a lot of condensation on that metal roof because there's nothing to stop it. If I could afford to foam my entire barn I'd do it- and still leave the doors wide open 95% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by shakeytails View Post
                                    Insulation in a barn isn't to seal it up, it's more to buffer the radiant heat and cold and keep it mostly either in or out. In the summer I can feel the heat radiating down from my metal roof - insulation would mitigate that problem quite a bit. In winter there's a lot of condensation on that metal roof because there's nothing to stop it. If I could afford to foam my entire barn I'd do it- and still leave the doors wide open 95% of the time.
                                    Huh???? I'm saying without sealing the barn up, you are losing a lot of benefits of insullation.... and since I will not seal the barn, I don't bother insulating the stalls. That does not mean I won't insulate the roof though. That foam board looking thing (can't remember what it's called) our builder put under the metal roof did make a tremendous difference in summers. I'm not saying insulation is not good, I'm saying it has its place. My tack room is heavily insulated, so is the roof, but again, the barn roof is pretty high and has cupola so no condensation problem at all. After doing all kind of researches, I decided not to insulate stalls and put up infared heater instead. But hey that's me.

For those of you who have insulation at the stalls, maybe you should pry open the walls, and see the insulation material inside? Just a suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                                      For those of you who have insulation at the stalls, maybe you should pry open the walls, and see the insulation material inside? Just a suggestion

And maybe you should consider the possibility that some people know a helluva lot more about construction than you do.

[edit]

There are many choices an owner can make that can improve energy efficiency, comfort, ventilation, or fire safety. Not all of them are going to meet with your approval - but that does not make their choices invalid or ignorant.
                                      Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 13, 2009, 09:37 PM.
                                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        And maybe you should consider the possibility that some people know a helluva lot more about construction than you do.

[edit]

There are many choices an owner can make that can improve energy efficiency, comfort, ventilation, or fire safety. Not all of them are going to meet with your approval - but that does not make their choices invalid or ignorant.

JSwan,

[edit] And what is wrong with asking people to look between the walls to make sure nothing INDEED is growing there? If not, great. If is, it is important for them to know. Don't you want to know? Did you look?

Or are you so afraid to look in there after spending tons of money on expensive insulation that you feel obligated to attack me here?

Which part did you not understand when I said I did my research and decided against it. MY OWN Choice, my OWN DECISION. Just because my choice is different from yours, does not make my choice invalid. Which part did you not understand when I said it is everybody's own choice if they do decide to insulate stalls?

And believe it or not, I don't give a damn about anyone needing my approval or meet my standard. That is their own choice. And they are mature enough to take my information, or leave it in trash. I don't give a damn. I'm simiply stating what I understand and try to pass that information on.

[edit]
                                        Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 13, 2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X