Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

img_1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Morton Buildings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morton Buildings

Has anyone used Morton Buildings to build a barn and indoor?

I'd love to hear any and all impressions either by PM or on this thread.
    Thanks!

Around here, Morton farm type buildings are very nice ones and there are many of them around.

I still would, if building today, go all metal.
    Don't let anyone tell you their wood is specially treated and last as long as metal etc. It really doesn't.

Now, maybe Morton also builds all metal, but the ones I have seen were framed with wood and metal clad.

They sure have some beautiful pictures of horse barns in their ads.

Comment

Years ago I boarded at a place with a HUGE Morton barn/indoor arena, it was fabulous. They spared no expense in designing/building the place, we called it the Horsey Hilton.

The owner was a home builder, and he said it was well worth the money to have them do it.
      There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Beware and Pro~Active

Yes, I have used Morton to build a large run-in shed as well as make modifications (2 stalls added and second tackroom) on our stall barn in the Fall '06. While the final results are fine - look good and are functional - I must Caution you that they are carpenters/builders and the crews do not know the requirements for horses in spite of what the salesman says. And BEWARE that salesman who say HE KNOWS AND WILL MAKE SURE IT IS DONE RIGHT >>> DOES NOT KNOW!!! The product is top of the line and the workmanship excellent but for example preparing stalls for interlocking mats - NOT A CLUE!!! Get everything in writing and on the contract -and in spite of the economy they are not fast - and will require you to be Pro~active to make sure thier final product is FUNCTIONAL & SAFE for horses. ****Remember a Fish Salesman is not going to tell you his product stinks! We have recently built an indoor and DID NOT use Morton AGAIN!!! Thank God I have been in the horse business all my life ~ otherwise I would have serveral WHITE ELEPHANTS on my property.Be glad to help you in any way I can. GOOD-LUCK!!!!
        Last edited by Zu Zu; Aug. 9, 2009, 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling error
        Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Morton

They have a number of very fine facilities in the east TN area. Some are very large show facilities and very fancy, all well done. A lot of custom work on one of them in particular. They use their own crews and seem to do an excellent job.

Comment

We built a Morton barn when we arrived in Florida, largely because of their excellent reputation and because, having just retired, I did not want to have to deal with sub- contractors and no shows and failure to perform, etc. etc.

The barn is super. The fencing that they contracted to put in is lousy, and the concrete was not poured according to my very precise instructions in one section of the barn. Otherwise, we are happy. But MAN was it expensive! I laugh and say that I built a barn for the north to protect against blizzards--I should have built a pole barn. The Morton barn will be here forever, I am sure, long after I am gone.
            Sakura Hill Farm
            Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Comment

Although morton is a national company, I have found very different professionalism, quality, etc depending on location.

I tired getting a quote from morton for a barn in Aiken, and couldn't even get the salesman to return my call. I called twice, and spoke to him once!
              So, obviously not for me.

Now in NYS, they were super.
              save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Everything I have ever seen and heard about Morton barns is terrific. They have superior warrenty and do stand behind the product if you need repairs. I know they repaired a number of barns when the hurricanes hit in the last couple years, no cost to the barn owners.

Up here in the north, extreme snow-loads on roofs were replaced when the small storage buildings caved in. We are talking 4ft or more of snow on the roof, no complaints, prompt service. No Morton horse barn or arena problems, though other arenas by other builders DID cave under the loads.

Last I heard, the metal of Morton barns is warrantied for 10 years against rust. I know people who bought the farms with Morton buildings already on them, called on some problems, had Morton repair them for no charge. Could be 2nd or 3rd owner after barn was built, still no problem repairing it.

You do pay a higher price for such warrenties. Quotes on Morton barns always come in higher than other builders, but cover a lot more details. Read what you get, what is covered, before signing any contracts. Even really old barns, 20+yrs, Morton built, still have all the parts working well. Good solid buildings, with components that are superior quality.

Sorry to hear about the salesman that didn't know his horse stuff. Around here we have a lot of Morton horse barns, so maybe our builders are more educated about horses. There are some EXTREMELY nice setups across the state, all custom work. Morton works hard to make the customer happy.

I drool over Morton barns, would have everything Morton if I could afford it!!

Any complaints should be taken to their main office in Illinois. Give them a call if the local office doesn't make you happy.

Comment

I had my Morton built 11 years ago. I would not change a thing!! The workmanship was great and they erected it in 9 days. It has shingle roof. They have a wide variety of options to choose from. The salesman was great. We changed the design/feature 3 times prior to starting and they were very patient with us. Mine is a six stall, 24 x 12 feed/tack room with a half loft.

Comment

Although I do think they're pretty, they are MUCH more expensive than other pole barn companies in my area. In my experience they were very overpriced. We got an abnormally good deal on ours, but Morton was way more than the average cost quoted (and we got LOTS of quotes). I could find no advantage to their metals, wood, etc. that others were lacking. If they were competitively priced, sure... but it seemed like you were paying for the name.

We personally did not want all steel. We didn't want portable stalls and it just seemed like adding stalls and everyday things were a PITA because there was nothing to just nail onto/screw into.

Comment

Haven't read all the replies...but from my own experience:

After shopping, looking at and talking to those who were building horse structures (lucky...lots of them here in the heart of VA house country), I did choose Morton despite the higher price. I was building for longevity, minimal maintenance.

They did not fail me. Superb construction, very knowledgeable about all the safety issues and things horses can do to a stucture OVER TIME.

17 years later, I am still very happy with my decision. The structure has been practially maintenace free and on top of that, their warranties are so good, when something is amiss they come out and fix it at no charge.

As a single woman, running this farm as such for a couple of decades, Morton has made my life a whole lot easier and the price I paid has recovered itself many time over because they back up their product at no charge.
                      www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                      "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                      Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Expensive as hell, but built beautifully and very well.

Could you get as well built and nice from other builders? Yes. But with Morton you *know* it will come out structurally great and lovely due to years and years of experience and excellent reviews from happy owners.

With some research and visits to previous customers you can find others who will save you some money and be just as nice, but I'd do the research first to be sure.
                        You jump in the saddle,
                        Hold onto the bridle!
                        Jump in the line!
                        ...Belefonte

Comment

We have a Morton barn on the property that was built in the 1970's. When we bought the farm and had the home inspection, we asked the inspector to check out the barn as well. His comment afterwards was that the barn would outlast all of us...

Comment

I have a Morton; I love it and found them to be excellent to work with. We did not build it from scratch but had Morton do significant modifications to an existing Morton barn (built by prior owners) so that it would suit our needs. They provide an itemized estimate down to the last nut and bolt and the price quoted is the real price - not a teaser price with surprises later, as we experienced with several other contractors in the course of doing a lot of work on our property. Morton has everything down to a T - they even have special equipment designed especially for their building components. They arrive when they are supposed to and finish on time. And they leave the property in better shape than it was in when they start - unlike many contractors who leave the homeowner with a big mess and all kinds of construction debris.

I love the barn. I highly recommend that you opt for the insulated roof - it keeps the barn MUCH cooler in summer and warmer in winter. We also have cupolas with Morton fans inside - I recommend multiple cupolas with fans (2 or 3) for the bigger barns. Our barn is 76 feet long and only has 1 cupola, but I wish we had 3. The Morton barns also age very well. Ours is now 7 years old and still looks brand new. That is not true of many other barns.

That said, my favorite barn builder is King Construction. But they are very expensive.
                            Roseknoll Sporthorses
                            www.roseknoll.net

Comment

• Original Poster

Very helpful, everyone - thanks! Any other experiences, feel free to chime in.

Comment

Withstands tornados too!

My friend has one, and it happily withstood an F3 tornado. Her house lost the roof and is a wreck. She loves her barn!

Comment

We have a 12 stall pole barn that Morton completely retrofitted for us 12 years ago. At the same time, we had them attach a 50 x 50 enclosed lunge arena at one end. 10 years ago we had them build us a 60 x 60 hay barn. 4 years ago we had them add an addition on one side of the hay barn to house 4 broodmare stalls and a feed/storage room. 3 years ago we had them build an 8 stall horse barn. Do we like Morton - you betcha!!! We even bought matching roofing from them for our own house and guest cabin and if we build anything else for our horses or equipment - it will be Morton built - - if we ever recover from this horrible economy that is - Morton is expensive.

We have a terrific relationship with the local sales manager, know quite a few of the local work crew and found all to be professional and knowledgeable. With the work that was done 12 years ago, it has truly withstood the test of time - no fading at all, no rusting, and the only dings in the metal have been done by our dingy horses getting a little to close and kicking the wainscote. We had a few minor communication problems here and there and they were resolved easily. I honestly cannot say enough good things about Morton!

ETA - I thought I saw where someone posted that it took time to get the work done and they really had to follow-up with the crew, but when I went back and reread, I couldn't find that post. At any rate, our buildings went up really fast. In fact, I was really surprised at how quick they were.
                                  Last edited by bludejavu; Aug. 10, 2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling
                                  Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
                                    I love the barn. I highly recommend that you opt for the insulated roof - it keeps the barn MUCH cooler in summer and warmer in winter. We also have cupolas with Morton fans inside - I recommend multiple cupolas with fans (2 or 3) for the bigger barns. Our barn is 76 feet long and only has 1 cupola, but I wish we had 3. The Morton barns also age very well. Ours is now 7 years old and still looks brand new. That is not true of many other barns.
                                    We had them put insulation in all barns except the first one that was retrofitted. Had I known how much difference insulation would make, it would have been put in our retrofitted barn as well. We did put up one cupola with a fan in the first barn and it wasn't enough for the size of the barn which is 78' X 120' long. We needed at least 3 cupolas as well so I have to agree with you.

Our retrofit that is 12 years old: http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ng-07-035.html
                                    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Morton has VERY aesthetic looking buildings, I will give them that, but they are VERY expensive buildings.
                                      We went with Cleary. Not sure if they are in your neck of the woods, but our experience with them was very good. Our small (42x60) barn went up in 4 days.
                                      ALL building companies have their good/bad sides. You just have to shop around.

Comment

I am thinking of building a four stall barn with tack and wash stall and an apartment above. I plan to talk with our local Morton person but wanted to know if anyone could give me a ballpark figure so I don't go into shock when I get the estimate.

Comment

Working...
                                        X