• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Need help with a brave horse's grave....: (

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a brave horse's grave....: (

Our old friend, Rusty, was euthanized this morning as a result of severe colic. He had had a long life - 28 yrs, and, from the scars he bore, a hard one. While his last hours were painful, he was at peace, dignified and able to choose where he was to pass on, his horse family and humans around him. It was his choice to be laid to rest in his favorite pasture and I'd like to plant some thing on his grave which is horse-safe, edible and different from the rest of the pasture.

Does anyone have suggestions - not a bush or tree - for suitable covering for this fine horse's final resting place?
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

So sorry for your loss

My choice - clover. Densely planted white clover, which will send out speading tendrils and stay green even when the grass has browned in fall and winter.

Best to you, what a heartwarming thought.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

No suggestions. ~ I wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss. How lucky Rusty was to be loved by a wonderful family - may he RIP.
      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I'm so sorry...just so so sorry
        I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

I'm so sorry. It seems many of the grand old horses are passing this year. It just sucks.
          Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Awwww

Boosma, so sorry that you had to say goodbye to your dear old friend today. He was a lucky gentleman to have you as his person. May he land in a field of clover once he crosses the bridge.

Comment

I plant crocuses and daffodils and tulips on my animals graves. In the spring, it is a nice reminder of where they were laid to rest.

Pretty soon, it will be fall planting time for those bulbs.

I am sorry for your loss.
              Godspeed Rusty to green rolling fields.
              save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

So sorry for your loss. I have a 33 year old and I dread the day....

I have planted daylilies on my horses graves. You can plant two or three different varieties and they will bloom in the summer at different times.

Comment

My suggestion would be to wait a bit, because the dirt will sink with time. We had repiled the leftover dirt on top, was almost 3ft higher than the grass. Dirtpile continued to sink until below the grass level, so we had to add dirt to get back up to even.

When we leveled the ground the second time, spring after a fall burial, I worked up the new fill dirt with a tiller. I laid down some nice grass seed and fertilizer, covered with straw to hold in place until sprouted. The Clover suggestion is a good one too. My new seed contrasts very sharply with the older grass, very dark green with a different texture.

I did not plant flowers on the grave, since the old horse is buried in her paddock and we put other horses in there to graze. Most bulbs are not edible, daffodils and narcissis are even deer proof. Not sure about daylilies, just didn't want to chance making anyone sick by eating the bulb foliage. I have a nice tree planted along the fenceline, quite near the grave site.

You might want to put in a flat stone with some carving, name and date, on the grave. It is easily found, not sharp or dangerous to hurt another horse, can be mowed over.

Real sorry to hear your boy had to leave in such a hard way. He did enjoy a long life, with the end years in a good place.

Comment

My heartfelt sympathy to you and Rusty - I am also walking in the same shoes this afternoon after losing my stallion two hours ago. Bubba's problem stemmed from being cast overnight and we believe he hit his head, causing neurologic problems. At any rate, we are burying him next to several other horses we have lost in the past and they are in the shade of a big Cedar tree in one of our hayfields.

If you don't want to plant a tree, I like the idea of a flat marker such as the type Goodhors posted about.

So sorry for your loss - it always tugs at your heartstrings no matter how peaceful the passing is.
                    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

And to you too

Bludejavu! I always shed tears when I read these posts. Peace and blessings to all.

Comment

Also sorry for your loss-what about some nice tall ornamental grass that blows nicely in the wind? Maybe even surrounded by some of the flowers others have mentioned.
                        "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Comment

Pity.. Always think apple trees are the best markers for horses. Even if you need two trees on the property to bare (bear?) fruit.

If you do not want a tree a second the suggestion above, Clover with a stone in the center if you like. One that looks unique
                          ~The Hardest Thing About Riding is the Ground~

Comment

So sorry .. I lost 2 this year both too young to go. 2 of my friends each lost their horses to tragic accidents (different times but eerily similar)

I wasn't able to bury mine.. I donated them to science, but the clover idea suggested above sounds sweet.
                            http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

I'm so sorry, boosma. There are never words- just know that there are people who really understand, even if we can't articulate it.

My suggestion- and of course it's worth what you're paying for it- both of my significant departed boys are buried in one large pasture. This is at a boarding facility, but I was given the opportunity to plant something if I wished. I badly wanted to plant something for my first boy, but like you it had to be a ground cover that was safe for grazing. After much thought, I decided to allow the grave to go back to grass. I was so concerned about building him a memorial in flora that I realized i'd be devastated if the plant failed. Grass would not fail, was not toxic, and held all the symbolism that I was looking for- it's perpetual, strong, nourishing for the beasties that share his space, something that he truly loved and always reminded me of him. Once I got over not knowing the exact perimeters of his burial location, it seemed perfect- and after putting another one into that pasture, it's all the more so for me. I look out on that field and know that my past and present beasties are there, sharing space- it's a legacy now, part of a cycle, not a grave.
                              My thoughts are with you.
                              bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
                              free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

Another idea: here is a nice marker. It is made of resin. If you couldn't use the actual marker when he is buried, perhaps the saying could be put on a flat plate and bolted onto something instead. Add in a few nice plants, and it would make a lovely memorial.

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/ho...one/SLT777004/
                                "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

I'm very sorry for your loss.

You say you want to plant something that will be visible, but is also edible/safe for livestock.

May I suggest planting a patch of chicory?

It's livestock/horse safe, it is no care, it flowers and grows tall, and it is not invasive.

You can buy it over the internet or your feed store may sell it as it's used as forage.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CIIN
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Bludejavu, these shoes we share are heavy. Hugs to you in your grieving for your boy.

And to all who have replied with suggestions and sympathy, I can't begin to express the comfort you have given me. All we can do for these magnificent beings in our lives is what's best for them. We all, humans, dog, horses and cats, feel a very large hole left by Rusty's passing, but we take comfort in knowing he is free from pain and in a place of his choosing.

What leaves me humbled and awestruck is the dignity and nobility of this old horse's last hours. My son described him as an old warhorse, in the best sense of the word. Rusty was a survivor, tough, supremely confident and responsible.

Thank you all. We will plant white clover and chickory(the most beautiful blue) and a small wooden cross.
                                    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I think the memorial you have planned sounds lovely.

Comment

Deepest sympathies. If not a tree, then perhaps once the ground is settled, sprinkle one of the wildflower gardens in a jar.

Comment

Working...
                                        X