• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn Swallows: Will they come back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Swallows: Will they come back?

The 2nd year after I built my barn, barn swallows put up a nest in the rafters.
    I love these birds - for their amusement value as much as for the numbers of mosquitos they consume.

So I was saddened when another species - my money is on either the $#^!& starlings or wrens - tossed eggs and finally a newly-hatched baby out of the nest.
    It was abandoned after that and for 2 more years no more swallows nested inside the barn.

This year I noticed a new nest and Ma & Pa Swallow were taking no guff from the other birds!
    They kicked tail & took names so I had 4 baby bobbleheads to enjoy watching until just last week, when they apparently graduated from their in-barn test flights and joined the rest in the Big World outside.

Will they return next year if I leave the nest alone?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Yes, they will most likely return. Ours are back on the nest after successfully sending five babies off. I do like their chatter and love to see them huddle up for the night all in a row.
    www.canterusa.org

Comment

2DogsFarm Congratulations and I'm glad they came back for you.

I've had swallows here every yr (20) but this yr the stinking sparrows pushed them out of their nests before there were any eggs and took the nest over completely. I knocked the nests down cause I'm not encouraging any sparrows in the barn or indoor as I have way too many now. Course 1 is too many as far as I'm concerned with sparrows.

I'm just hoping that next yr the swallows will come back.
      Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NMK View Post
        Yes, they will most likely return. Ours are back on the nest after successfully sending five babies off. I do like their chatter and love to see them huddle up for the night all in a row.
        Cool!
        I've had robins return to the same nest 2, even 3 times in a Summer, but I wasn't sure if swallows did the same.
        I hope they will refill the nest - they are so much fun to watch.
        Especially the babies testing their new power of flight:
        #1-Leave nest for nearest rafter
        #2-Flutter wings wildly when feet meet rafter
        #3-Cheep loudly to announce to nestmates there IS a World outside the nest
        #4-Return to nest
        #5-Flutter wings wildly and stuff inordinately large body back in nest
        #6-Sit in a row on the edge of nest

All the while accompanied by the adult birds swooping in & out the open barn door & peeping encouraging words

How the 3 of them fit into that nest after they fledged is a wonder to me.
        There was a 4th, but sadly he/she did not survive the first testflight & met the barn floor with a thump.
        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

My barn swallows come back every year. I have 2 nests. Nest #1 gets 2 families per year. The second group is just starting to poke their heads over the edge so I can see them. I love it when they are older and all perch on the side of the nest. This means in a few days they'll be flying.

On a separate note: I got a new tractor last month. As I'm mowing my fields, I notice that the barn swallows seem to be really angry at me and are swooping at me as I drive along. I can't figure out why since they don't nest in the fields. Then I figure it out....they are diving for the bugs I am flushing out of the pasture. They aren't angry, they are happy!

Comment

Our barn swallows come back every year around April 15. They usually leave by the middle of August. When they return usually one pair comes ahead and checks out the barn. The look around, then leave and a few days later the whole flock is back. Towards the end of their stay they seem restless. They all fly around in a big circle, with all of them joining. Then somehow, there's a signal and they all leave. And yes, they love it when I bushhog too.

Sex, bugs, flock & roll!
            It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

We had a nesting pair this summer that successfully raised all their young and after a few weeks they are back trying to raise another brood.
              MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
              http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Nest marauders can be house sparrow, starling and brown headed cowbird which is a true nest parasite. The female lays her egg in the nest and the resident bird incubates and hatches. The chick outgrows the resident chick and usually pushes out the eggs and the weaker hatchlings.

You can learn to recognize the undesirable egg and dispose of the unwanted if the nest gets parasitized. There are images on line of cowbird eggs and swallow eggs to help you know which is which

An angled mirror taped to a pole can be used to observe for eggs

Our swallows arrive as if a tour bus pulls up and dumps them off. They leave in the same fashion usually after Labor Day
                _\\]
                -- * > hoopoe
                Procrastinate NOW
                Introverted Since 1957

Comment

What Hoopoe said, she's the bird expert!! (I adore birds, and wish I had half her knowledge!!)

We only have one nest in our barn, sadly. Unfortunately, our babies seem to bake each year, and they all die. This year, mom and dad had 4 eggs, and only one little guy made it out alive . When it hit 90+ for the 11th day in a row today, punctuated by several 104+ days, I figured baby swallow was toast, but he/she survived!

I love swallows and really wish we had more nests. If only they'd build them in our barn overhang, where it's cooler, instead of in the roof beams of our big, red, metal barn...silly birds.

I plan on heading over to the school in Portland, where the Vaux's Swifts gather by the thousands each August to whirl in a vortex into the chimney there. Quite the spectacle! We had a pair of swifts nest in our spare chimney when we first moved here....SO cool!!
                  Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Out of three eggs, only one survived this year. I have had a swallow take over the nest too.
                    Found the babies on the floor. Got a ladder and put them back. Mom and Dad kept feeding them. I stayed the next night and chased the starling out with a broom and she did not reurn.
                    Who returns year after year - Mom and Dad, babies and new mates? Our nests are years old by now. Amazing instinct to guide them back.
                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

HATE THE STARLINGS

I am ok with the Swallows as they don't make the mess the other birds too.
                      Birds can ruin a barn; I have to power wash the crap off the rafters.

I do leave the nests when the birds depart.

They seem to find their way back, amazing really after the 12 years I have been here, that they do.

Comment

I have several nests throught out our barns. Usually each nest is a temporary home to two batches of babies annually. The sparrows in the past, have done a number on the nests, but we put mesh up along the eaves where the sparrows nest, and it seems to have discouraged their presence to a great extent. They also used to attack the baby swallows and clip their new flight feathers off, rendering them flightless!! It was horrible! But the past two or so years have been very productive for the swallows! From what I hear, the same birds return to the same barns each year!

Where do they go for the winter??
                        \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Comment

I love my swallows-they mark the seasons like the 4th and C'mas. My husband is a private pilot, and loves to watch them fly.

They'll all be gone pretty soon-fox hunting is right around the corner, and we'll be pulling the blankets out for inventory before you know it. It's been a good summer-plenty of rain for a change, the Dutch horse has put the puzzle pieces together, and the OTTB has decided to be a riding horse. I hope when the swallows come back next spring there will be more progress for them to swoop over!
                          Last edited by lesson junkie; Aug. 4, 2009, 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

I don't know if this will help anyone that has swallow-hating birds, but we put screens up in all our barn windows. The swallows are the only birds that fly well enough to get in/out of the small opening at the top of the one screen closest to their nest. When the young ones are ready to fly, we open that screen up until they "get their wings" and then go back to the small opening.
                            We have fly "curtains" for the doors that I made cheaply, like shower curtains, that keep both the bug and unwanted bird traffic down.

Nancy
                            www.canterusa.org

Comment

Working...
                            X