Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Snake repellent??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alabama View Post
    I like the idea of the .410 because I've been told it has a lot less kick than the bigger shotguns. And I don't mind spending a little more $$$ for the multiple shot gun because if some snake scares the crap out of me, I might miss the first time. LOL!

I'm going to put a gun rack in my mule. I think that will be funny.
    Mike, do you just read parts of my posts? I KNOW a .410 can be longer. That's why I used the word "shotgun" not pistol. And I'm certainly not going to put a gun rack in my mule for a pistol.

Please feel free and "correct" me again if a .410 isn't a shotgun - but please know that I am using "shotgun" to differentiate from "pistol" (i.e., long gun vs. short gun).
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
      Uh, you really don't need a pistol or shotgun to dispose of a poisonous snake.
      The old SC/GA farm remedy is the hoe. Sharp hoe to hold the snake down and chop off the head. We've moderized this a bit by adding some "loppers" the sharp long handled clippers used to cut limbs,, to cut off the heads. But this takes 2 people. One person with a sharp hoe or sharp shovel/spade can kill a snake. Remember that the head still has venom after it is cut off of the snake.
      SC and GA timber country are full of rattlers. Claxton even has the rattlesnake roundup every year, which I avoid.
      Hogs kill and eat snakes but I don't think most of us want hogs running arond the barnyard unless you have a potbellied pig like one cother I know here in GA. Chickens and guineas also peck snakes and raise cane when snakes get near.
      I wonder if a mongoose family could live in the south?
      Um Yeah. These two snakes were each 4 1/2 -5 long. If you can find me a hoe that is longer than the striking range of these things, I would love to watch you try to kill it.
      And I am by myself, so no way am I BSing around with a damn rattlesnake. My 12 ga with #8 shot works just fine, thanks LOL
      "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

alabama, maybe its hot where you are and making you cranky.

I have consistently found Mike P.'s post informative on this and other issues, and I feel like we are splitting hairs and getting snitty, versus helpful.
        thats my take anyhow.
        save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegermonster View Post
          Um Yeah. These two snakes were each 4 1/2 -5 long. If you can find me a hoe that is longer than the striking range of these things, I would love to watch you try to kill it.
          And I am by myself, so no way am I BSing around with a damn rattlesnake. My 12 ga with #8 shot works just fine, thanks LOL
          Well although my family has always had a lot of guns, we were taught to kill rattlers when we were just kids with the hoe, and it works just fine. No need to go blasting guns around when you can dispatch with a hoe. Too many dogs/cats/horses around with guns. Besides, guns should be saved for use on criminals. But as one poster says, practice, so if you use a shotgun, you can determine the scattering of the pellets so you don't wipe out a dog or cat or horse. The pattern is clear, and as the poster says, shooting from a few feet won't scatter the pellets all over the place.
          Rattlers don't "attack" humans and animals unless they are cornered or caught. They try to escape. You use the hoe on a retreatomg snake. If you surprise or corner or catch a snake, it will strike in self-defense.

**assuming you are not using a sawed-off, as that will scatter shot all over creation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I'll take on a lot of things with a hoe, a rattler is not one of them. That 12 ga works just fine. It's a long barreled goose gun and the #8 shot stays close together.
            I've been a cop for 20 years and I'm a firearms instructor, so there's nothing wrong with my shooting either, no worries about stray rounds etc.
            "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
              alabama, maybe its hot where you are and making you cranky.

I have consistently found Mike P.'s post informative on this and other issues, and I feel like we are splitting hairs and getting snitty, versus helpful.
              thats my take anyhow.
              Maybe your "past" with Mike has skewed your judgement. I'm not the one quoting other people's posts and "correcting" them.

It's not all that hot here and I'm not cranky. Try again.
              "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Comment

• Original Poster

check out this little beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5GepjBRsM

am seriously considering it as my carry around the farm gun when I don't want to have to run for the 12 ga

Comment

I remember well your loss of sweet Megan, and understand your feelings. I used to lease a barn in copperhead country, and my policy it to leave poisonous snakes alone to be snakes, but if they are where pets and horses will get injured, they have to go bye bye ....and not in a trap....

I hope you can find some black snakes or king snakes to plant around your place, they eat mice AND rattlers.

So, last summer I was visiting a ranch that was in a snakey part of Colorado, and they had a teepee up, and the Indian man who had come to check the construction and smudge and blass the teepee for pleasant stays by the guests of the ranch told them to encircle the teepee with hemp rope...and they, in two years so far, had yet to find a snake inside.
                  What would you try if you knew you would not fail?

Comment

• Original Poster

the rattler that got Megan was awful but I thought ok fine we are in the country, there are snakes.
                    But after that one in my barn two days ago that almost surprised me, I'm not taking any chances anymore. That's two too many snakes in too short a time for my blood.
                    You know how it is, you run to get the gun and when you get back it's gone. I got lucky with this last one, although he was already headed into one of the stalls when I got him.
                    So I want to be prepared for #3 and not have to run for the gun next time.

We used to have a couple of black snakes, but I have not seen them in awhile. I wish they would come back.
                    I wonder what the premise is with the hemp. That is kind of neat.

Comment

LOL

Well, I'm sorry if I caused a run on large bags of sulfur. The "good old boys" at several local hardware and feed stores (Ace Hardware, Gilbert's Hardware in Ocala and a feed store in Gainesville) all sell it as snake repellant so I took it at face value and didn't do due diligence on my research. Will anyone ever trust me again?
                      Those yellow lines all over the farm certainly gave me a false sense of security until the first monsoon washed it all away. Oh well, I also heard that the sulfur was good for some of the plants, wonder if that was true?
                      Guess I'll dig out the pistola, buy some appropriate ammo, get a holster and strap it on so the suckers don't keep getting away. I really wouldn't care if they would actually go away but I live in fear that one will set up house in a stall. I have had two horses with snakebite, both on the hind leg. They each suffered horribly in the first week and one suffered little long term effect but the other has chronic lymphangitis, which is a nightmare. I don't want to repeat that or go through anthing like Jaegermonster suffered with Megan.
                      This has been an informative thread, much better than the anecdotal info from the hardware store! Thanks.
                      Piney Woods

Comment

I've heard of moth balls being used as snake repellant. They don't harm the environment at all, the smell is just unpleasant to snakes.
                        Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
                        Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

I'm not the one quoting other people's posts and "correcting" them. It's not all that hot here and I'm not cranky. Try again.
                          Alabama, maybe if you didn't post stuff like this: "Please feel free and "correct" me again if a .410 isn't a shotgun - but please know that I am using "shotgun" to differentiate from "pistol" (i.e., long gun vs. short gun)."

Ok, I'll correct you again. The terms shotgun and pistol are not mutually exclusive. I have a .410 pistol. It's a shotgun. Length of the firearm doesn't determine whether or not it's a shotgun, what ammunition it shoots determines that.

If you'll get your terminology correct, you won't be confusing issues and forcing others to explain just what it is that you're trying to say.
                          "Its a well-documented fact that of all the animals in the realm of agriculture, Bulls have the highest job satisfaction rate."~~Ree Drummond, AKA the Pioneer Woman

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Woods View Post
                            I have had two horses with snakebite, both on the hind leg. They each suffered horribly in the first week and one suffered little long term effect but the other has chronic lymphangitis, which is a nightmare. I don't want to repeat that or go through anthing like Jaegermonster suffered with Megan.
                            This has been an informative thread, much better than the anecdotal info from the hardware store! Thanks.
                            Thanks for the info about the horses. I've never had a horse bitten by a poisonous snake. I had a cow get bitten on her nose. She aborted a 6-month old fetus, but recovered completely otherwise.
                            "Its a well-documented fact that of all the animals in the realm of agriculture, Bulls have the highest job satisfaction rate."~~Ree Drummond, AKA the Pioneer Woman

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                              Alabama, maybe if you didn't post stuff like this: "Please feel free and "correct" me again if a .410 isn't a shotgun - but please know that I am using "shotgun" to differentiate from "pistol" (i.e., long gun vs. short gun)."

Ok, I'll correct you again. The terms shotgun and pistol are not mutually exclusive. I have a .410 pistol. It's a shotgun. Length of the firearm doesn't determine whether or not it's a shotgun, what ammunition it shoots determines that.

If you'll get your terminology correct, you won't be confusing issues and forcing others to explain just what it is that you're trying to say.
                              Or maybe, you could just get over yourself. Geez. I was trying to add helpful input and trying to relate to the OP. You're just trying to swat at me for some reason. I don't even know you. Good grief.

Comment

Or maybe, you could just get over yourself. Geez. I was trying to add helpful input and trying to relate to the OP. You're just trying to swat at me for some reason. I don't even know you. Good grief.
                                No, I'm not just trying to swat at you, but you posting erroneous information is hardly "adding helpful input".

For example, in post #33 you wrote this: "BTW, the .410 shotgun that I looked at recently also took .22 long rifles - same thing my pistol takes."

Which would lead someone to possibly believe there is no difference between a .22 and .410 shot load, when in fact the .410 delivers ten times the kill power and the ammunition is NOT interchangeable.

I'm quite willing to declare peace, but I will stand by my belief that if one is going to post information on a forum, that information should be correct, or at least debatable. Demonstrably false information should not be presented as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                                  No, I'm not just trying to swat at you, but you posting erroneous information is hardly "adding helpful input".

For example, in post #33 you wrote this: "BTW, the .410 shotgun that I looked at recently also took .22 long rifles - same thing my pistol takes."

Which would lead someone to possibly believe there is no difference between a .22 and .410 shot load, when in fact the .410 delivers ten times the kill power and the ammunition is NOT interchangeable.

I'm quite willing to declare peace, but I will stand by my belief that if one is going to post information on a forum, that information should be correct, or at least debatable. Demonstrably false information should not be presented as fact.
                                  well apparently she doesn't know what happens when you load the wrong stuff in the wrong gun?
                                  Meanwhile, it is not necessary to shoot the snakes, you can kill them with garden implements and keep them away by getting chickens and guniea hens and ducks and geese and the occasional potbellied pig. Shooting should be reserved for bigger game.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
                                    well apparently she doesn't know what happens when you load the wrong stuff in the wrong gun?
                                    Meanwhile, it is not necessary to shoot the snakes, you can kill them with garden implements and keep them away by getting chickens and guniea hens and ducks and geese and the occasional potbellied pig. Shooting should be reserved for bigger game.
                                    I have killed poisonous snakes with both a gun and a hoe. I have also used a shovel, a bush-hog and a stick.

I find it much preferable to use the .410 shot-pistol if one is readily available, but that's just my personal choice.

Comment

• Original Poster

I appreciate your opinion callie and you certainly are entitled to it. You do what you want to do on your property, on my property poisonous snakes get shot period. I also have 11 large dogs that have free runn of the farm, so having assorted fowl roaming about for snake control really is not an option for me either. Now that that debate is settled........

Back to the question at hand, I have mothballed a considerable amount of the fence line and under my tack room.
                                      I looked into The Judge a bit more, a friend of mine has one. He likes it but says it kicks like a mule and you have to be fairly close to the snake to kill it, which is exactly where i don't want to be. But it is a nice little gun.

I will probably go to a gun shop while I'm off and see what i can find to carry on my belt.

Comment

Please let us know what you find.

I do not want a gun with kick.

Callie, I just don't want to be that close. Remember, I wasn't brought up around snakes, so I prefer to be what I would consider a safe distance, and on the other end of a hoe or shovel is a bit too close for my comfort.
                                        On the other hand, if that is all that I have available, so be it.
                                        thanks.
                                        save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

• Original Poster

I will. I'm ok with a bit of a kick, but i just don't want to have to get too close to the snake either. If other folks want to go three rounds with it, great, hats off but not me.
                                          I prefer one shot shopping.

Comment

Working...
                                          X