• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse kicking in trailer -- Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse kicking in trailer -- Suggestions?

This summer my horse started kicking after he is loaded on the trailer. He is fine once you get going, but he immediately starts when the door closes. It does not matter if there is another horse in the trailer or not. I always load and go, but he still gets a couple good kicks in -- just with his right hind.

If he is in a larger trailer, if I try to walk away he does the same thing.

Any suggestions to help correct this behavior?

Any experiences with kicking chains? I am weary of using them since I would have to load with the chains on and it is a step up trailer.

There is always a treat for him on the trailer and walks on with no hesitation. He is almost a self-loader.

Thanks for the suggestions

Well, I know some horses my grandma used to have in training would wear kicking chains in the trailer. They're a last ditch effort usually, but can be effective. They aren't always that much of a deterrent though once they have leg wraps on.

You just have to put them on once they're in the trailer. You have to be quick about it, and load him first or in an order that allows you to have a free slot on one side of him (you can put on both from the same side). They don't need to be super long either. Putting someone at his head can help too if he's fidgety. It's also best if they've worn them at home before, so they get the idea of how they work. We had one horse that was such a terrible pawer that he had to ride in pawing chains and get a bit of ace or he'd get off the trailer lame. They never ever ever caused any issues, but I'm sure somebody has a horror story...

Anyway, I'm sure some people will freak out at the thought of kicking chains or pawing chains on the trailer because they add an extra something that could go wrong in the event of a freak accident. But if you have a horse that will make himself lame from pawing or kicking, it can be an acceptable option if nothing else you try seems to help. Just saying that because we had one that would paw himself dead lame on the trailer and another that would kick high enough to cause herself scary trailer injuries. Both were much better/safer with kicking/pawing chains...

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess I look at trailering safely as my biggest concern. I do not think that being some what patient should be a lot to ask. He ships well -- I just don't get this part and where it came from.

I really want him to learn some patience on the loading part. Again, I am not an idiot and I understand correct loading and unloading.

I am hoping this is a behavior that might disappear with more frequent trailering, but if it gets worse I guess I will have to resort to the kicking chains.

Any other advice from anyone else would be helpful.

Comment

We don't use kick/paw chains in the trailer, those are reserved for stall use only as they generally don't pack enough punch in the trailer to really get a reprimand from the chains. However, we have several that don't go near the trailer without their hobbles. We have 1 horrific pawer that lames himself, but stands like a saint hobbled, and we have 3 kickers that will literally kick until they bleed, then get pissed off and keep going. They get hobbled behind in a hurry because its too easy for them to kick somebody else too. Obviously hobbles are not what you want to have on in a trailering emergency, but they have a higher likelihood of hurting themselves every trip without, then planning on the 1 accident that might happen at some point.

Comment

Can you do something to distract him once he's on the trailer?

An open window, a toy, hiding bits of apple in his hay?
          "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
          Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
          Need You Now Equine

Comment

• Original Poster

Nes - I actually give him grain in the trailer and he doesn't kick right away. As soon as I shut the big back trailer door he will kick - even if the front window is open.

Also, when shipped with other horses in a head to head trailer he will pop out at the back wall still. Really doesn't matter if other horses are in the trailer or not.

He usually quits eating the grain to do his kicking....maybe finding something even better or his favorite treat in the hay. I will try that this weekend...

I really hate to hobble him since I want him to learn on his own to behave. I kind of think it is more of an attention thing -- like attention from bad behavior is better than no attention at all (if that makes sense).

Any more suggestions?

Comment

Maybe try a few sessions where you don't go anywhere.

Use the kicking chains, close the doors and leave him there for a while. Later after he's been quiiet for a long time, unload and put a way. If you could do this a few times in a row , not nec on the same day, he might make the association that kicking is a bad idea and not kicking reaps rewards

I think it would be important to do this a least 3 times (the more the better) with no travel involved and no trips in between the sessions. Important also to wait it out until he has stopped kicking for a long time before unloading. Fill his haynet and leave him there to figure it out.

Comment

i can really empathize with your situation. my ottb bobbie was a horrible kicker in the trailer. he kicked his right hind shoe off one time and the next time he kicked that same side shoe almost half way off. it was terrible to listen to and as well he had an old suspensory and pelvis issue from his racing days. i was terribly worried he would reinjure himself. he only kicked once the trailer got going but i was never certain when it would start. sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes an hour later......it was nervewracking and once they get kicking you do not want to get in the trailer with them. you do not want to get hurt. so after 2 horrifying trailer trips and my farrier having to do hoof repair damage, i really went looking for some ideas.

hobbles and kick chains were recommended by some people and i'm glad i didn't do that. i just never felt comfortable with that idea. fortunately, at this point in my horses career with me as a dressage competition mount i was taking my lessons with an event rider who has a lot of knowledge with ottbs. he had several terrible trailer kickers who had really worried him. what he came up with and his advice to me was to get two bales of straw. jimmy them up in a safe way so they are one on top of the other safely tied and sturdily mounted. once the horse is loaded and safely contained, put the straw bales behind the horse and tie the bales of straw to the trailer in some way that they do not move. he strongly stated that i did not want to be in a position where i'm hauling the trailer, the bales get loose and stuck between the horse. i was told that could be a terrible situation to deal with.

i have a two horse trailer and my ottb pretty much was a tight squeeze in there. he's a big guy. so once he was loaded in and safely contained i just slipped the bales right behind him and the doors. they fit like a glove and he would rest on them. he did still kick but he could do no damage to himself or the trailer. for the rest of his career i hauled him like that. it worked great, was a cheap and safe solution. and it gave me tremendous peace of mind. i never had any trouble with this way of hauling and i think those 2 bales of straw saw us through 3 seasons of hauling. not too bad for $3 a bale : ) my farrier was a lot happier too!!

good luck!

Comment

We fixed a stall kicker with chains but I don't know if I'd try that in a trailer. That sounds scary.

If it were my horse, I'd park the trailer in the shade on a day when its cool and breezy. Load him up, shut the door and just leave him. At some point he's learned that he gets in, he kicks, the trailer goes. He probably isn't kicking when the trailer is moving because he feels too unbalanced to make that kind of sudden movement. He needs both feet on the ground to stable himself.

In short, I'd start teaching him patience. Tie him to a tree with a hay bag and let him stand for an hour. Tie him in his stall. Tie him in the trailer. He has to learn patience.

Comment

How hard is he kicking? If you are willing to risk the trailer and horse getting banged up, I'd load his ass in a parked trailer and leave him in there until he stood quietly. If the kicking stops for say, 3 minutes, unload him. Next day, stretch it to 5 minutes, then 10, etc. until you can leave him loaded for an hour or so and he stands quietly.

If you fear for his safety with the above method, don't feed him anywhere except in the trailer. You need to do it for about a week or so. This method requires a great deal of time and a great deal of patience. The plan is to have him associate the trailer with good things.

Your horse is telling you he doesn't like being in the trailer. Once you get moving, he has no choice but to stand up, but until that point, he's just voicing his displeasure.
                    Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Originally posted by mjrtango93 View Post
                      We don't use kick/paw chains in the trailer, those are reserved for stall use only as they generally don't pack enough punch in the trailer to really get a reprimand from the chains. However, we have several that don't go near the trailer without their hobbles. We have 1 horrific pawer that lames himself, but stands like a saint hobbled, and we have 3 kickers that will literally kick until they bleed, then get pissed off and keep going. They get hobbled behind in a hurry because its too easy for them to kick somebody else too. Obviously hobbles are not what you want to have on in a trailering emergency, but they have a higher likelihood of hurting themselves every trip without, then planning on the 1 accident that might happen at some point.
                      We also had a couple that trailered quite well with hobbles = ) Some of them are just not great haulers and require some additional gadgetry to keep them safe. Obviously in the event of an accident, hobbles or kicking chains could cause issues, but except in freak situations, they will keep your horse in better shape.

Also, egontoast and go fish make a good suggestion: load him and don't go anywhere. Perhaps feed him in there if you have the time and trailer access. Then you can also try him in kicking chains/hobbles or whatever. He may learn that kicking is pointless, and you'll be able to see how he behaves in kicking chains or hobbles.

Comment

Breeding Hobbles

I had a mare who kicked herself bloody. The solution had worked for her were breeding hobbles. They attach to the two back ankles with cords they thread to a collar around their neck. They can be put on outside the trailer. I loaded then run around to the front of the trailer and pulled the cords tight. The horse can still spread their legs for balance. It just doesn't allow them to kick backwards. At the other end, I would loosen the cords and let her back out. It worked great.

Comment

Is he an impatient type of horse - c'mon let's get going? Will he stand and tie, will he just chill? He rides well, you say, so changing the side he stands on is not going to do much good. Some good suggestions here.
                          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Another vote for hobbles...be careful putting them on and don't panic when he tries to move (because he probably will!)...they figure it out. Let him get used to them in a stall or somewhere safe. I have a mare and a gelding that require them or they are a danger to themselves, others and destroy my trailer!!!!

Comment

An idea....

I would definitly not use hobbles. That sounds very dangerous and what if he panics?

I agree that the kicking chains would be a thought, though maybe not as workable in a trailer.

I'd try if at all possible (and this has not been tried by me and is only a suggestion) of putting a mattress behind him somehow. There are ones made for large dogs that are shorter than a real twin mattress, but still 6" or so thick. My thought in this is it would take up the room behind his rearend and not give your horse room to kick...

Comment

Working...
                              X