• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best place to post an ad for a Stray Dog**UPDATE: "Sadie" is up for adoption!!**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to post an ad for a Stray Dog**UPDATE: "Sadie" is up for adoption!!**

My boyfriend brought home an adorable loose dog last night he found wandering on the road. No collar...no microchip. She's an unspayed female. He asked home-owners around the area, but nobody knew the dog. The dog has a nice, soft coat, and clipped nails so I'm guessing it's somebodies dog. It rode fine in the car with him all day at work, and seems very gentle and not afraid of people at all...although, she does sometimes act a little aggresive towards our 3 dogs but seems to be getting better. I posted an ad on Craigslist, but does anybody have any other ideas for what we can do to help find her owner?

We are in the Rochester, NY area if that helps. If we can't find her owner within a few days, we'll have to bring her to the local Humane Society as we already have 3 dogs, and a small house, and can't afford to take on another one. But we want to give it a try first and let her stay on the comforts of our house.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BoysNightOut; Aug. 1, 2009, 07:18 PM.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

How about taking her by the local vets, groomers, boarding kennels? They might recognize her. And maybe you could put up a poster.

Good luck finding her owner!

edit to add - oh, and while I know it feels nicer to keep her in the house with you rather than take her to the local pound, her owners might miss her if they visit the pound today, and you take her in after a week. I've been told that it's better to turn the dog into the pound, and then call to check up on her and maybe spring her if she goes unclaimed and is in danger of being pts. Obviously, this isn't great advice for a pound which euthanize quickly, but in my area they usually get at least a couple weeks.
    The last time I found a stray, I reluctantly took him into the pound, called back the next day and the owner had already been by looking and took him home

Comment

If you haven't already, I would definitely call local vets and humane societies with a description of her (or drop off a photo!) since those are the places someone missing their dog is likely to look. Especially if it was a tourist traveling through who may not know the area. Our local radio would also announce (for free) that there was a missing dog, so you could try that, too.
      Good luck!

Comment

Also call the non-emergency police and ask if they've gotten any calls, or ask to leave a description of the dog.

Other than that, get some nice neon paper, make a BILLION copies of some "lost dog" flyers, and plaster them all over the neighborhood you found her. On telephone poles, trees, near main intersections, etc, etc. If it's a friendly/safe neighborhood, continue going door to door as well.
        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

If the dog is purebred, look up the national or local specialty clubs for that breed (http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/inde...nal&display=on) and notify them -- they may be able to find the breeder and thus the owner. Local All-breed clubs may also be able to help find the owner (http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.cfm).

You can also contact purebred rescue groups for that breed who may be able to help (http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm).

These club networks can often (particularly in the less common breeds) do a lot to find a home for a rescue dog or track down an owner.

Make up some flyers and post them at local vet hospitals, pet shops, tack shops, feed stores, coffee shops, hardware stores...etc. You could also ask mailmen and delivery people if they recognize the dog -- hand them that flyer with a good photo on it.

I disagree with taking her to the pound IF you *can* keep her temporarily -- not only is it highly stressful to the dog and she may well contract kennel cough (or other illnesses), but overworked staff have been known to euthanize an animal mistakenly on occasion. Take a flyer with a photo instead and the owner can ID the dog that way.

And THANK YOU for taking this dog in and helping her.

Comment

www.petfinder.com

Search the lost postings here:

http://www.petfinder.com/classifieds...ser_state=user

And you can post in the "found" section of the site.

Comment

If you make flyers (which I think are a good idea), be sure to withhold at least one or two pieces of information that you can use to verify that this really is the dog owner and not someone just wanting to pick her up for whatever reason.
              Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I posted an ad on Craigslist, contacted all local shelters/vet offices/animal control officers, and drove all around the town we found her in for a few hours, knocking on doors, stopping at local businesses.

Unfortunatly, nobody knew her, and no reports were made to any shelters/vets/animal control regarding a missing dog fitting her description.

Since I can't afford to feed her much more, and she's not getting along very well with our 3 dogs...I took her to our local animal shelter, which has a wonderful facility, is very well known in our area, and I know will do their best to find her owner, and adopt her out if needed.

They said she was a very nice looking dog, and was very young...so if nobody claims her, she will be spayed & put up for adoption. She will get a temperment test tomorrow. She really is very sweet and friendly, so they didn't think they would have too much trouble finding her a home.

I felt horrible dropping her off, but I can't keep her any longer. I tried my best for the past 3 days, and was really hopeful somebody would claim her...but it just didn't happen. I will hold out hope she finds the right, new home.

Just wish I didn't feel so guilty.
                <3 Vinnie <3
                1992-2010

Comment

Originally posted by BoysNightOut View Post
                  Just wish I didn't feel so guilty.
                  Don't feel guilty, you did the right thing.

I'll share one of my many stray dog stories. A few years ago during a very bad thunderstorm, out of nowhere appeared a nice female cattle dog that was obviously scared out of her wits, and desperately trying to find a way out of my fenced in back yard. Evidently she forgot how she got in, which would be the big open side next to the garage where we park the cars, and no fence.

I went out in the pouring rain to see if I could catch her, and when I got close, she cowered, growled, and bared her teeth at me. I tried opening the people gate to the pasture, figuring she could figure that out, and tried to "herd" her in that general direction, no luck, and I could not leave the gate open or risk having one or more horses loose or in my swimming pool.

An hour later she was still there, so I called AC, they caught her and took her to the pound. I found out a few weeks later that she had been adopted, this from the AC person that came to the farm again to get yet another stray (hence the reason that I am on a first name basis with our AC personel).

A month later, I was massaging one of my neighbors horses, and she told me about our other neighbor losing a nice female cattle dog. I told her about my experience, and she said, don't worry about it, he never puts collars on his dogs, or tags, or ties them up, and if he didn't call the pound to look for her, such is life.

I still felt guilty, hopefully she got a good home.
                  There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

• Original Poster

Update!

"Sadie" is now up for adoption. If anybody on CoTH lives in Western, NY area and would consider giving this sweetie a home, the link below is to her adoption page. She is at Lollypop Farm. They don't have a picture of her yet, but she's definatly a cutie.

Guess they never found an owner.....hopefully somebody will give her a good home! She really is a good dog....I just don't have the money or room to take on another dog.

http://www.lollypop.org/org/org51.as...nfo&id=8127577
                    <3 Vinnie <3
                    1992-2010

Comment

Working...
                    X