• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can a Tacoma Truck pull a horse trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Tacoma Truck pull a horse trailer?

I own a featherlite 2 horse trailer and would like to know if anyone has experience pulling a horse trailer with a Tacoma truck. ? Is it strong enough with the towing package to haul 2 horses comfortably?

Nope. Unhappy truck. VERY stressed out driver. Hauled in an emergency or two with mine and it was NOT fun. Lots of downshifting and very defenensive driving required. I only hauled about 10 miles with both horses when moving out of a boarding barn on short notice and it sucked. I vote no unless it's an emergency. Not enough truck to stop. My Tacoma only had a 3500lb tow rating too. Now, my new Tundra... LOVE that thing for hauling my 3h GN Eby. Tacoma.... not so much.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
      Nope. Unhappy truck. VERY stressed out driver. Hauled in an emergency or two with mine and it was NOT fun. Lots of downshifting and very defenensive driving required. I only hauled about 10 miles with both horses when moving out of a boarding barn on short notice and it sucked. I vote no unless it's an emergency. Not enough truck to stop. My Tacoma only had a 3500lb tow rating too. Now, my new Tundra... LOVE that thing for hauling my 3h GN Eby. Tacoma.... not so much.
      Toyota claims the new Tacoma can pull 6500 pounds and is as good as the old Tundras. What year was your Tacoma??

Comment

Its not just about pulling - its also about the tow vehicle being a heavy-enough vehicle to stop the trailer &/or handle the trailer under duress.

IMO - no, this is not enough vehicle. I've hauled with just about everything out there - and for my own comfort, will never haul my horses with less than a 3/4 ton truck.

I know, I know - lots of people haul with SUVs & 1/2 tons - been there & still do that for others - just never felt safe when I had incidents with these vehicles (incidents in which I'm grateful that when I was a kid, I had a grandfather that made me haul all over the place unloaded before they let me drive a "live" trailer!). 20+ years of hauling now - FWIW.
        Originally posted by SmartAlex

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by oldenmare View Post
          Its not just about pulling - its also about the tow vehicle being a heavy-enough vehicle to stop the trailer &/or handle the trailer under duress.

IMO - no, this is not enough vehicle. I've hauled with just about everything out there - and for my own comfort, will never haul my horses with less than a 3/4 ton truck.

I know, I know - lots of people haul with SUVs & 1/2 tons - been there & still do that for others - just never felt safe when I had incidents with these vehicles (incidents in which I'm grateful that when I was a kid, I had a grandfather that made me haul all over the place unloaded before they let me drive a "live" trailer!). 20+ years of hauling now - FWIW.
          Thanks for the advice. I will do some more research on trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by dralthea View Post
            Toyota claims the new Tacoma can pull 6500 pounds and is as good as the old Tundras. What year was your Tacoma??
            Ours is 2004, the last of the little ones, and it is TOO SMALL. The 2005's were bigger, the same size as the old T100 trucks, but still TOO SMALL IMHO.
            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
            Incredible Invisible

Comment

Mine was a 1994 and it was tiny. My 2008 Tundra replaced my 1999 GMC 2500CK Crew Cab. A much better truck in my case for what I needed. I'm thrilled with the turning radius on it and no long have nightmares about brake failure. (Always had those with the GMC. It was just a big slob of a truck that took a country mile to stop and to turn.)
              "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
              you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Comment

We have an '04 Tacoma 4x4 V6. Would it haul a horse trailer? Sure, if it's empty. I would never, ever consider hauling a horse with it unless it was a dire emergency, and even then it would be only one horse and we'd be taking the least hilly route possible.

They just aren't big enough or stable enough, IMHO.

They do work well for hauling loads of mulch and moving furniture. I will miss that about ours when we trade it in at the end of the month.
                Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

I have an '08 Tacoma with towing package. I have no problem pulling an older 2 horse Kingston with no dressing room with my one (large) horse- he's an 18 hand warmblood. It's certainly not ideal, but it works for trips every now and then. I used to pull with a 2500 and I feel safe pulling just the one horse with the Tacoma. Hope this helps!

Comment

You probably could, but I wouldn't.

Comment

I have seen it done, but would probably not attempt it myself, unless I owned a Brenderup or Bockmann type trailer!

I sold a 2H Trailet to a person that pulled it off with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yikes.
                      Tracy Geller
                      www.sixpoundfarm.com
                      Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Depends on what kind of driving you want to do.

A friend of mine got a V8 Tacoma, and I used it once to haul my 2 horse BP (no dressing room) and 2 Paso Finos (800 lbs and 1000 lbs).

I'm definitely the kind of person who prefers to be over-trucked, but surprisingly I never felt like the tail was wagging the dog or anything like that. Granted it was only a short trip on back roads--I don't think I'd take it on the interstate or anything though.

If you were going to do long trips I'd add a transmission temp gauge to keep an eye on the tranny and make sure it's not getting overheated.

For extra assurance, get an Equal-i-zer hitch.
                        http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Another thing to keep in mind is that most SUVs and light trucks come with P-metric tires. I prefer LT tires so that I don't have to mess around with changing the pressure.
                        http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Leather View Post
                          Depends on what kind of driving you want to do.

A friend of mine got a V8 Tacoma, and I used it once to haul my 2 horse BP (no dressing room) and 2 Paso Finos (800 lbs and 1000 lbs).

I'm definitely the kind of person who prefers to be over-trucked, but surprisingly I never felt like the tail was wagging the dog or anything like that. Granted it was only a short trip on back roads--I don't think I'd take it on the interstate or anything though.

If you were going to do long trips I'd add a transmission temp gauge to keep an eye on the tranny and make sure it's not getting overheated.

For extra assurance, get an Equal-i-zer hitch.
                          http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Another thing to keep in mind is that most SUVs and light trucks come with P-metric tires. I prefer LT tires so that I don't have to mess around with changing the pressure.
                          http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp
                          This info has been very helpful, thank you very much . I really don't plan on going on long trips, but want to have the option of taking the horses to a local show, to the state park, or in an emergency get to a vet clinic. I have used stabilizing bars before with a Yukon, which pulled the 2 horse featherlite like a charm, but I don't have that vehicle anymore..
                          I am reluctant to buy anything bigger, because I don't want to deal with 12 miles to the gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by dralthea View Post
                            This info has been very helpful, thank you very much . I really don't plan on going on long trips, but want to have the option of taking the horses to a local show, to the state park, or in an emergency get to a vet clinic. I have used stabilizing bars before with a Yukon, which pulled the 2 horse featherlite like a charm, but I don't have that vehicle anymore..
                            I am reluctant to buy anything bigger, because I don't want to deal with 12 miles to the gallon.
                            The most dangerous part of any hauling is dealing with stop lights, stop signs, freeway offramps, and driveways. Curvy mountain roads, of course, are also an issue, but most people realize that that will be hard on a vehicle.
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Oh, I forgot the most important thing--get yourself a GOOD brake controller.

The Tekonsha Prodigy is awesome. It's not the cheapest one out there, but the extra $$$ is well worth it if you get into a sticky situation.

It's self-leveling so one less set-up step. And it's got a "boost" option that works well for towing empty vs. loaded with minimal adjustment.

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/deta...90185&cat=1435

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5u5aj8LKd8

Comment

My friend has a Tacoma and easily pulls a 2 horse slant with dressing room. She usually ships a pony and a big TB with no problem.

Comment

According to Cars.com the Tacoma can only pull 3500 lbs? Am I looking at the wrong model?
                                  ---
                                  They're small hearts.

Comment

I think that is for the I-4, not the V-6? We have an 07 V-6, and the manual says it can pull 6500, although I've never been tempted to try that out...
                                    Reasons I'm crazy, #37: I went out shopping for a pony and came home with a 17hh OTTB
                                    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Comment

No, that was for a V-6 model.
                                      ---
                                      They're small hearts.

Comment

It's not just about the max weight the truck can pull. It's also about tongue weight and payload. My half ton said it could pull 10,300. When you factor in it should only safely have so much tongue weight and so much payload, it reduced the weight of the trailer significantly. Down to approximately 6500. lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X