• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Scammer from Craigslist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammer from Craigslist

We listed our bush hog for sale on CL a few weeks ago ( it has been sold) and immediately received the following response to our ad:

I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to consider
    it sold,Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
    disturbance,anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look
    because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
    shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover,
    hence I'll be sending a check and it will be delivered to you via
    United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the
    following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
    givdonking007: 1.full name on the check.
    2.Full Physical address to post the check
    3.City, State and Zip Code
    4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
    AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
    responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
    you have cashed the check,N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box
    addresses.

YEAH RIGHT: Can't wait to see how much the shipping on that is going to run.

I replied the following and attached the hilarious photo of Hogzilla that has circulated around on the internet. It is so strange but I never heard back from the guy.

Thank you for the appreciation of my responding to your responding to my email. I am so happy that you are going to purchase my item. You will be so happy with it. We have had many years of fun chasing hogs through the bush with it. Do you like hogs? I attached a picture of our son with the last hog we caught with our bush hog.

My contact info is as follows:

FBI Fraud Investigation Unit
    P.O. Box 10956
    Washington, D.C. 20001
    (201) 926-8026 home

Take care.

Great response! Glad you weren't duped by the scam but you seem too clever by far for that to happen.

Comment

Love it!!
      I wonder Who does respond to those?

Comment

I am in law enforcement...

You have no idea how many idiots out there respond to scammers and then come crying to us to help them when they lose money or item or their identity is stolen.

I so badly want to say, "Your (money or property or identity) was stolen because you are an idiot and you deserve it. Hope you learned your lesson this time."

Instead, I just kill a tree, take a report and go on with my day feeling a little happier that I was blessed with common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Weighaton View Post
          We listed our bush hog for sale on CL a few weeks ago ( it has been sold) and immediately received the following response to our ad:

I really appreciate your response to my email.I want you to consider
          it sold,Pls do withdraw the advert from CL to avoid
          disturbance,anyways I don't have time to come over to take a look
          because of my Business but you don't need to bother yourself with the
          shipment, I'll take care of that by engaging the services of a mover,
          hence I'll be sending a check and it will be delivered to you via
          United Parcel Service, so I'll need you to provide me with the
          following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
          givdonking007: 1.full name on the check.
          2.Full Physical address to post the check
          3.City, State and Zip Code
          4.Home & Cell Phone to contact you.

Note that the payment will be shipped to your address via UPS NEXT DAY
          AIR SERVICE and I will like you to know that you will not be
          responsible for shipping i will have my mover to come over as soon as
          you have cashed the check,N.B UPS does not deliver to a P.O box
          addresses.

YEAH RIGHT: Can't wait to see how much the shipping on that is going to run.

I replied the following and attached the hilarious photo of Hogzilla that has circulated around on the internet. It is so strange but I never heard back from the guy.

Thank you for the appreciation of my responding to your responding to my email. I am so happy that you are going to purchase my item. You will be so happy with it. We have had many years of fun chasing hogs through the bush with it. Do you like hogs? I attached a picture of our son with the last hog we caught with our bush hog.

My contact info is as follows:

FBI Fraud Investigation Unit
          P.O. Box 10956
          Washington, D.C. 20001
          (201) 926-8026 home

Take care.
          Love it. Those darn scammers... hate them!

Comment

Free Bricks

I had the same kind of email when I posted an ad for Free Bricks.

We received a strange response talking of sending a money order, blah blah blah.. in that odd English. Yes, a scam.

FREE, I said. Keep your money. FREE. We received no response to our good offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post

We received a strange response talking of sending a money order, blah blah blah.. in that odd English. Yes, a scam.

What a bunch of ingrates!
              "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

So how was the reply to the Original Posters ad in any way an attempt of Identity Theft? All they asked for was the same info available in a telephone book? They did NOT ask for SS#, D/L#, etc. They also did NOT say they were paying via cashiers check nor indicate that any excess funds would be involved.

A far better response would have been to houmer them but require CASH prior to release of the equipment. Their "mover" can pay by cash when they arrive or they can send cash via registered mail prior to equipment release.

Granted they may have been a scammer but what if there is a .05% they were not - why take the chance. A cash required response is quicker that the sarcastic response anyway.
                If you really think about it, what can you blame on a horse?

Comment

Originally posted by Tangerine Farmer View Post

Oh dahling...: always post those on your local Freecycle.org board. You'd be amazed at what people will accept when it's offered for free

So, Weighaton: Any response from the riff-raff? I always like to see how far along someone can string them.... enjoying great laughter along the way.
                  <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taken By Storm View Post
                    So how was the reply to the Original Posters ad in any way an attempt of Identity Theft? All they asked for was the same info available in a telephone book? They did NOT ask for SS#, D/L#, etc. They also did NOT say they were paying via cashiers check nor indicate that any excess funds would be involved.

A far better response would have been to houmer them but require CASH prior to release of the equipment. Their "mover" can pay by cash when they arrive or they can send cash via registered mail prior to equipment release.

Granted they may have been a scammer but what if there is a .05% they were not - why take the chance. A cash required response is quicker that the sarcastic response anyway.
                    seriously?

Why would it be better to humor them when it's so blatantly obvious they're a scammer and follow just about every "rule"* in the book for scammers?

I know some cases are less obvious than others, but this is one of the most obvious ones I've seen recently.

It's not an attempt to steal identity, but an attempt to get money, plain and simple. Though it's not detailed in the original email, my guess is that after responding, the person's next email would include the bit about sending a cashier's check for greater than the price, and to please send the extra to the shipper, thanks.

There's 0 chance in this case, I think, that it's legit. I've seen some that could be legit, just written really badly, but this isn't one of them.

* the rules: Strange syntax/language (the only thing this one didn't do was end random sentences with "OK"). Asking for all contact information in that manner. Asking person to remove their ad from CL/ebay/whatever RIGHT AWAY!.
                    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

I've got a nice bridge for sale, but I only take cash.

Comment

Seriously??? Have you taken any internet safety classes? I know ebay has them. Or used to, back when it was fun....
                        Even if there were a .05% chance of not being a scammer I would not do business with them. Buyers that make demands before they see an item are going to be a hassle. Just my HO.
                        They said nothing about the actual item, a bushog, but wanted it removed from the CL immediatley. (I can't spell) It looks like an email from 'Scamming 101'.
                        I have copied the Fraud investigation address, just for the heck of it.
                        Just old and cynical.

Comment

Ugh I get those all the time.

I just searched my email and can't find it but there was one where the guy said he lived in England and was sending his kid to Tallahassee on holiday and he wanted him to take lessons 3 hours a day 6 days per week and his kid would have a 'driver' take him around. The kid is 14 and "loves your craft and wants to excell in the subject" and blah blah blah.

I ignore them but I like that response you had.

I had one guy recently email me asking about boarding :

I will like to know if you can board my lovely pet with you as from April 25th till May 25th.I have a Saddled bred of Horse he is 4 years old,he will bring over his negative coggins with him when he comes over to commence his boarding with you,kindly get back with your availability.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a real guy asking but... it sounded a bit too fishy. When I emailed him back with questions about the horse, he didn't respond.
                          Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Comment

Originally posted by caffeinated View Post
                            Though it's not detailed in the original email, my guess is that after responding, the person's next email would include the bit about sending a cashier's check for greater than the price, and to please send the extra to the shipper, thanks.

That's exactly right. "I'm sending $5,000 in cashiers check. Please cash it and take what is yours and get another cashiers check for the driver and shipper"
                            Iron Star Equestrian

Heels Down, Eyes Up, Plan Ahead

Comment

Craigslist

Can we see the picture of the last hog you bushed?

Comment

• Original Poster

Just an update - no response from the scammer but we sold the bushhog to a nice man from New Orleans who had a farm in Mississippi.

Oh and the address for the Fraud Investigation Unit was made up. I just threw it in there for laughs. The photo of the hog was hilarious. I think I got if from snopes.com under hogzilla. I cc'd my entire family and they all got a good laugh.
                                Last edited by Weighaton; Jul. 22, 2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: **

Comment

I would suggest you don't try to sell anything over the internet.

Comment

And on that note-
                                    http://www.419baiter.com
                                    Site is NSFW, but sure is hi-larious. Some people devote a LOT of time to stringing these guys along.
                                    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
                                    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

I got some of those emails when I had a high priced item on Ebay. There are a lot of people with spare time on their hands looking to scam people on line and even worse in person. I was leary when I rec'd these responses as well.

These folks are not out to buy anything, just looking to find a way to gather info; whether it be an address or get a face to face meeting, which I would be very concerned about. Even if the OP said cash, here is the address to pick the item up, it is still giving out an address to a stranger who could case the home out. I am not as convinced that there is even a .05 % chance of it being legit...

Comment

Originally posted by mlranchtx View Post
                                        I am in law enforcement...

You have no idea how many idiots out there respond to scammers and then come crying to us to help them when they lose money or item or their identity is stolen.

I so badly want to say, "Your (money or property or identity) was stolen because you are an idiot and you deserve it. Hope you learned your lesson this time."

Instead, I just kill a tree, take a report and go on with my day feeling a little happier that I was blessed with common sense.

that's pretty much what we tell them. There is no crime committed by asking these people for money, which is what the alleged "scammers" are doing. Is it right to do it? No. Is it nice? No. But as PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. People's greed gets the better of them, and greed and stupidity can be very expensive. A fool and his money are soon parted.
                                        We tell them it's civil, and to contact an attorney and the admin of whatever site (craigslist, ebay, whatever).
                                        "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Working...
                                        X