• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Aluminum Trailer: Acid Wash or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Trailer: Acid Wash or Not?

To Acid Wash or Not to Acid Wash, that is the question.

Will you guys give me the definitive answer, or at least vote?

Some say yes, but maker sure it is rinsed well to return the pH to neutral or you will pit the metal.

Others say acid washing just will pit metal and send you that place of gray, perma-dirty dull aluminum faster.

Buffing ain't an option since parts of my trailer aren't smooth (extruded?) and it has decaled decor on it.

So how to I spruce it up?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I know 3 people who have aluminum trailers and they all get acid washed once a year and they all look great. 1 trailer is about 10 years old, the other 6 and I have no idea on the 3rd. I myself don't have an aluminum, so this is just what I've seen with others.

Comment

I take my trailer once a year to the big truck wash place and it comes out sparkling clean. No buffing required is the best part!

For what it's worth it costs about $75 - 80 for my 36' trailer and my dually crew cab truck.
      Kanoe Godby
      www.dyrkgodby.com
      See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Comment

I vote yes. I'm overdue to have it done because the normal place I used to use shut down last year, and the trailer looks like crap. I've found another place but haven't gotten around to it. My trailer is 11 years old this year and still sparkles and looks fantastic after it's done.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

I paid $22 to have mine done at the truck stop and it looks as good as new. I tried everything to get the streaks out and nothing even came close to doing as good of a job.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

No.

Many years ago I attended Corrosion Control School at the Naval Air Rework Facility, Naval Air Station, Quonset Point, RI. Navy aircraft have a LOT of aluminum in them and live in a very corrosive environment.

We were taught that bare aluminum does not rust, but it does oxidize. The dull sheen seen on unprotected aluminum is that aluminum oxide finish. It is only a an atom or two deep and it stops. This is in contrast to many other metals (like iron) where the oxidation can continue until the metal is completely consumed.

What this means is that if you have a bare aluminum finish and acid wash it then you are removing that oxide coating. This makes the metal look great, but you have just weakened the structure. Do it a lot and eventually you'll have no AL present at all.

There are many coatings that can be applied to bare aluminum that will prevent oxidation but also maintain a sharp appearance. To apply these coatings properly it often takes an "acid wash" solution to prepare the surface (so that you get maximum adheasion). This is pefectly OK. But to just wash away the aluminum oxide is to wash away part of your trailer.

If the AL is protected by some coating and the acid wash is just cleaning the coating then that's perfectly OK (assuming the intregrity of the coating).

G.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

My aluminum trailer is 21 years old and gets acid wash at least once a year, usually twice a year. There is no noticeable damage to the aluminum. I do it my self, I get the stuff in a gallon jug, I put about a cup in 5 gallons of water, more if needed for the roof when trailer was left under oak trees.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for both the many votes "yes" and one authoritative "wherefore" supporting the no.

I'll look into this more, but it sounds like ideally one would acid wash and then apply a protective coating. Or acid wash often to shave/dissolve off some top layer of AL along with its oxidation. I'll also ask if these multiple "dermabrasions" to get down to that virginal, smooth as a baby's butt, AL really weaken the trailer. Perhaps it will die of natural causes before it runs out of skin?

But my local trailer dude says that acid-washed AL takes on a whiter color (and he may have meant a chalky sheen). True?
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

My husband did our 17 year old trailer and it came out looking brand new. I vote yes!
                  www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                  Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

What Guilherme said.

Yes, many people do acid wash their trailer every year. Yes, it looks great. But, unlike with washing a painted surface, the acid wash is only cosmetic. With a painted surface, a wash and wax adds a protective layer that is beneficial to the paint and ultimately the metal. With a bare aluminum surface, the acid wash removes its outer protective layer, and the top layer of aluminum will need to oxidize again.

The reality is that it's going to take a lot of acid washes to make a significant difference. But, unless there's a particular reason to make it look sharp, I wouldn't do it as routine maintenance - while I'd consider washing and waxing a painted surface to be routine maintenance. It won't look super shiny for all that long anyway.
                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Painted aluminum - NO
                      mill finish - if you must ( oxidation is protection )
                      aluminum floors - soap & water

Risa
                      www.HappyTrailsTrailers.com
                      www.BalancedRideTrailers.com
                      www.SterlingHorseTrailers.com ( available soon )

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                      To Acid Wash or Not to Acid Wash, that is the question.

Will you guys give me the definitive answer, or at least vote?

Some say yes, but maker sure it is rinsed well to return the pH to neutral or you will pit the metal.

Others say acid washing just will pit metal and send you that place of gray, perma-dirty dull aluminum faster.

Buffing ain't an option since parts of my trailer aren't smooth (extruded?) and it has decaled decor on it.

So how to I spruce it up?

Comment

Don't mos taluminum trailers come with a clearcoat on them - Mine is16 years old and has that, so really, just needs a wash now and then.
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I bought a 1986 Featherlite gooseneck that was terribly oxidized and had never been acid washed. I had a local trailer guy acid wash it (the right way, well rinsed and all that) inside and out. I could not believe the difference, it looked like a brand new trailer. Two years later it's still super shiny. It cost me $250 to have this done, but this guy was a perfectionist and spent 2 days doing the job and meticulously rinsing it out, even taking the lights apart to rinse inside. Worth every penny. However, my trailer guy said acid washing should not be done often.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                            Don't mos taluminum trailers come with a clearcoat on them - Mine is16 years old and has that, so really, just needs a wash now and then.
                            I suspect so. That's why "acid washing" might just be an exercise in "burning $20 bills" for most trailers.

If that protective coating is gone then acid wash will work, but you probably ought to put a protective coat back on otherwise you'll get more oxidation.

To get the "straight dope" on you trailer call the manufacturer. They will tell you what they do and what they don't. They might even be able to tell you about your spedific trailer (if you give them the VIN or serial number).

G.
                            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Working...
                            X