• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Scorpion sting!!! Am I doomed???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorpion sting!!! Am I doomed???

As I scrubbed the water buckets in the stable tonight I grasped the lip of the water bucket to hold it steady and WHAMMMMM!!!! I had a sudden jolt of pain that felt like the end of my index finger had been shot off!!!! (Not that I've had other digets shot off, but I bet that's how it would feel!!!) If not a bullet, then I was looking at the ground for the attacker, expecting to see a red wasp on steroids, but what I did see was a scorpion about 1.5 inches long. I smooshed him then went to get my finger taken care of. I covered it with Icthamol to draw the poison and bandaged it, finished my chores and now I have it "done up" in an antibiotic wrap. Anyone have experience with these darn beasts??? Any better treatment suggestions?? Since moving to Oklahoma I have discovered - contrary to my previous beliefs - that Tarantullas lived in pet stores or the jungle and scorpions lived in horror movies or the desert. Wrong on both counts...they live in Oklahoma!! I welcome any advice..it still hurts like HE**!!!
    Last edited by crosscreeksh; Jun. 21, 2009, 04:09 PM.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

In case you haven't already Googled it:

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec24/ch298/ch298l.html

Hope it feels better soon.

I worked in Arizona one winter. I always thought scorpions were the size of crabs...they are the size of a bumble bee!

That, and tails actually falling off lizzards were the biggest shocks to me.
    Inner Bay Equestrian
    Facebook
    KERx

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks soooo much!! It says I'm not dying!! Shows you my thought process - I come to the folks on COTH - not Google!!
      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Very few scorpions are dangerously venomous.
        An easy rule of thumb to remember with scorpions is the bigger the claws the less toxic the venom. The smaller the claws the more toxin they usually carry.
        Rarely is a sting dangerous though, not from scorpions in this country.
        But it does hurt like heck.
        You jump in the saddle,
        Hold onto the bridle!
        Jump in the line!
        ...Belefonte

Comment

My mother was stung in bed by a scorpion about the same size when I was a teen. She felt it but it didn't totally wake her up. The next morning, she had a very sore, red and swollen place on her calf and found the very much smashed scorpion on the sheet (hope I never find one myself in my very own bed - ick ick ick). At any rate, she got pretty nauseous that day and it continued to really irritate her so she went to the doctor the next day. I can't remember what they prescribed but she definitely lived thru it. I do remember she said it bugged her for a week or so but the nausea passed after the first day.
          Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

• Original Poster

My OP was a bit tongue in cheek, but I really do appreciate the responses. The red wasps in this country REALLY pack a wollop, but not as bad as the scorpion!!! I'll start looking at the underside of buckets before I grab!

Comment

Crosscreek...everyone will react differently to the venom of stings. Some people can be stung or bit by something and have a red spot and some dicomfort while someone else can have all sorts of pain and swelling and other symptoms.
              So you could very well be feeling it more than someone else has.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

I don't know what area of the country you're in, but here in the south it's the Brown Recluse spiders and the Black Widow spiders that I fear the most. The Black Widows LOVE to put their egg sacs on the bottom of our pasture water tank rims and I have gotten pretty paranoid about dumping them - way too many close encounters. The Black Widows will really hurt you! The Brown Recluse is worse but they are pretty much nocturnal and I never see them thru the day. Either way, as the song says "I don't like spiders and snakes"...and I'll add Scorpions to that list too.
                Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Made me look. Your title says "Scorpion String". ha ha
                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I hate those things...feels like a hot poker! Shouldn't kill you unless you are allergic to them. And you would know by now!

Comment

My drama queen German Shep mix dog got stung on the foot by one. (This is the same dog that whacked her tail on the stair bannister when she got a case of the "zoomies" after a bath. She refused to sit down, so was off to the E-Vet at 10:00 at night. 600.00 later, after X rays and pain killers she was fine.). The scorpion got her at about 11:00 at night as I was getting ready for bed. She refused to put her foot down, so off to the E-Vet we went. Waited about 20 min in the waiting rm, and when they called us, she walked in barely limping. 200.00 later, after a Benadryl shot she was fine.

We have lots of scorpions here. I see one about every other night on my patio.

Comment

Many places have an Ask-a-nurse phone service you can call for FREE for medical advice. Especially good for those "local" critters and ailments that not everyone knows about.

Comment

I got stung 3 times on my big toe once. It was in the tip toe of my riding boot. I had been riding all day and I was taking my horse out of the pasture and I got a stinging sensation, then again, and again.

Well I must have shook him loose from his comfortable toe spot. Of course I had hal chaps on and I was laying on the ground trying to rip it off while holding my horse screaming for my friend to come and get him and some damn thing bit me!!!

That was not fun. My toe was numb for a week and from the knee down was numb for a good 2 days.

Nasty little creatures.

Comment

Your OP was hysterical. Remind me not to move to Oklahoma! We had little scorpions in Texas. I also thought they were only in movies, and much bigger, and would kill you! The little ones we had (less than 1" long) would sting, but it hurt less than a bee sting. I think you'll live. Hope it heals fast.

Comment

Another precaution (from living in really South New Mexico for years). Always shake out boots or shoes before putting on-it's not just scorpions, but roaches, mice, and other creepy crawlies too. And before using outdoor toilets (outhouses, portapotties, and barn toilets) look under the seat before you sit down and get bitten in the butt.

And I've heard that there are different species of scorpions and the venom varies according to the type of scorpion-generally the further south the scorpion is from the more poisonous. Of course, I doubt the scorpion had a label saying it's point of origin.
                              You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Thank you for this timely reminder to never move out west.
                                "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                ---
                                The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I'm with you EqTrainer--staying put!!

Comment

DH and I have both been stung by scorpions...and we were both IN BED when we were stung, and it was one two separate occasions!! Yes, I had a scorpion under my freaking pillow. Nice. My finger was numb for a day or two but I survived to tell my tale.

I have also had to shake them off of me, on multiple occasions, in the shower, One was on my hand and the other was crawling across my foot. I have no idea how the one got on my hand. Terrifying!
                                    http://burpclothsandsaddlepads.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just a thought, but don't be shy about going to your Doctor. You know you would have had the vet out if it had been him who had been stung. Think of it this way, you have to stick around to take care of your horse

Comment

note to self: Stay East.

Spiders are bad enough. (I second the idea of shaking out boots that have been left untended....oh, and do likewise for gloves left outside....)

Comment

Working...
                                        X