• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question about stall sizes/construction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about stall sizes/construction

I met with the guy building our barn today. We're getting a great deal, but he is a very old guy who's kind of set in his ways and had "no idea why I wanted 15x12 stalls" because "he's never in his life seen a horse who needed a stall bigger than 10'x12' ". He's just a little hard to talk to. We're building our own stalls, so it's not a big deal what he thinks about the sizes, but he agreed that he would set the stall supporting posts free of charge. Great! So what I'm confused about is that on the 12' wide stalls he has an extra supporting post between the two stalls. Picture the dividing wall between two stalls that has a post going from the ground to the rafters right in the middle of it. I've never seen this done so I thought maybe I wasn't looking hard enough! It's most annoying because I won't be able to use the u-channels and drop the tongue and groove in, if I add bars in between the stalls the post may interfere, extra cutting out for rubber mats which is an absolute PITA, and just not a smooth neat looking stall to me. Does anyone have stalls like this or know anything about construction? He's saying the same thing about the fronts of the stalls. They're 15' wide, the door is 4', so that leaves an 11' span that he says will need an extra support. Am I wrong in thinking this is odd? We can obviously tell him we don't want them, I just don't want to be wrong. Thanks!

I can understand your reasons for not wanting the extra support posts, but I can tell you they will make your stall walls ALOT stronger.

So really, it's up to you and your needs and wants. They'll be okay (really) without and you'll get the look you want.... or if you need really uber strong walls then go with the extra support and make your plans around them.
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

He will set the stall supporting posts free of charge? If I were you, I would jump on it. Most of us don't do it because it is most costly to have extra support. I can tell you that it is probably a good idea to have extra support on your 15' stall fronts.

Comment

If he thinks the stall walls won't be strong enough on 15', I wonder how many stalls he has built or seen?

I would do what you want, for your own reasons and if it is wrong, you can't blame but yourself.

I agree that you don't need those supports, unless you are building for rhinoceros.

My serious question for you would be, will that extra support post be out there, where horses can rub or hit it, where they can nibble on it, etc.?
        I would not like anything sticking out in a stall, if it is not absolutely necessary.
        Then, it may not hurt any and you can never built strong enough anything, but sure can too flimsy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yes... like pp mentioned, I'm afraid they will become butt/neck scratching posts. I guess I'm just still confused. I emailed two of the conventional build stall manufacturer that we were going to buy some of our grates, etc. from and they both said that they aren't necessary for a 12' span, especially with tongue and groove that adds support and possibly a metal wall stiffener for good measure run up the sides.

About the 15' stall fronts, it's actually less of a span than the sides, because the doors are 4 foot and will already have a post set on both sides of the doors. He's wanting to add another down the middle of the 11' left so I'd have 4 posts up the front of the stalls! I guess I'm still confused. I don't want to skimp if it's legitimately necessary, but I don't want it to look ridiculous in a small barn also.

Comment

As the fiance of a builder and friends with barn builders I can say it may come down to the framing itself. I know when we built our barn, we could span 12' without an additional support based on the way the barn is framed, but I have heard that under some framing conditions you cannot span more than 8' and that may be where this is coming from. Is your guy a barn contractor or traditional home builder?

Maybe you can ask him about the structural aspect and find out WHY you need to have the additional support. I agree it opens the door to a boat load of PITA issues, but in the long run it keeps your barn strong I would opt that route. Also, does this guy plan on making the additional stall door post structural or not? That could make a difference too.
            Gone gaited....

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks. I believe he said he used to build homes back in the day and the pole barn company he's a rep for now builds all sorts of pole barn structures.

Comment

• Original Poster

...and I should point out that I guess I don't know his exact barn/building qualifications. He's the sales rep and a whole different crew will be building it.

Comment

Do you get to see a final set of plans before construction? That should have pole placement right on it. I would be interested in what the standard spanning measurement is they are using.
                  Gone gaited....

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by manyspots View Post
                    Do you get to see a final set of plans before construction? That should have pole placement right on it. I would be interested in what the standard spanning measurement is they are using.
                    I do. I have the initial proposal that has the drawing on it when he factored in 4 10x12's because "that's just the way it should be". It's a little complicated because there are dutch doors in the back of the stalls, but basically, a post is set every 10' on the long wall, but then there's an extra one set in each stall for the dutch doors. So the spacing is 6' then 4', 6' then 4' etc. Then there's one every 8' on the short walls. Does that make any sense? But our new plan is different so I have no idea how the spacing will come back for that.

Comment

I cannot STAND it when people say things like "this is how it should be." Listen, this is MY BARN and I am not an unreasonable person but I am the one left to work out of this facility I spent my hard earned money on!!!
                      Gone gaited....

Comment

My stall walss are 12' and yes, we have a center supporting post. I would NEVER EVER build a barn without this as one kick and the horses leg COULD go right thru the boards, even with tongue and groove without such a supporting structure, then you ahve a horse with it leg caught between two boards, just ask MROADES on this board, it happened recently to her!
                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

• Original Poster

What if the center post was cemented in, but only went up the stalls to the top of the wood? So it would still support the tongue and groove (I could do a u-channel on each side of the post so instead of one long row of boards it would be 2 rows) but would not extend into the grate. I'm still just confused how this is all of a sudden a necessity and I have NEVER seen it! The norm that I've seen is the u-channels so would can take the boards out and make a larger stall.

Comment

Originally posted by dmalbone View Post
                            What if the center post was cemented in, but only went up the stalls to the top of the wood? So it would still support the tongue and groove (I could do a u-channel on each side of the post so instead of one long row of boards it would be 2 rows) but would not extend into the grate. I'm still just confused how this is all of a sudden a necessity and I have NEVER seen it! The norm that I've seen is the u-channels so would can take the boards out and make a larger stall.
                            Maybe if you explain that to him, that you at times may want to take the boards off to make a large stall, he would rethink how he can frame it all without needing to add posts in the middle?

Ask him as if he may come with a good idea for your problem of with the post not being able to double the size and he may be more cooperative.

In the end, remember, it is YOUR barn and you should not do anything in there that doesn't make sense to you, even if you have to get a little bit hardheaded about it.

Comment

Often free help is the most expensive you can get.
                              www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

You should be able to do what you want but imho 12 by 15 is an odd size. 12 x 16 makes more sense as far as lumber sizes - 12x15 will waste a lot of lumber. Lumber is made for 2 or 4" increments of construction.

Also - and this is just my opinion so no need to take office - just giving you another view, unless it is a broodmare/foaling stall, a stall for drafts or in my case I have a stud colt that is already 17.1 at 2 yrs of age so he is getting a 10 x 16 stall for winter that is used as a broodmare stall in the spring, any bigger than 12 by 12 is a waste unless these horses are in all the time. You will use up so much bedding. I would rather have more stalls (because you never can have too many stalls).

I have one wall of four stalls - where two center walls come out for foaling stalls. Then in the winter they become regular sized stalls again.

I have 9 horses - all are 16.2hh or bigger - 4 that are 17hh (but one is a foal) and they have 10 x 10 stalls - they all lay down and they all seem to like their stalls, but I wouldn't mind the 12 by 12 - but again we put soft stalls in and that adds substantially to the cost again. Plus our horses are usually outside 8-12 hours per day unless it rains or is bad weather/icy.

Good luck with your building

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by prodomus View Post
                                  You should be able to do what you want but imho 12 by 15 is an odd size. 12 x 16 makes more sense as far as lumber sizes - 12x15 will waste a lot of lumber. Lumber is made for 2 or 4" increments of construction.

Also - and this is just my opinion so no need to take office - just giving you another view, unless it is a broodmare/foaling stall, a stall for drafts or in my case I have a stud colt that is already 17.1 at 2 yrs of age so he is getting a 10 x 16 stall for winter that is used as a broodmare stall in the spring, any bigger than 12 by 12 is a waste unless these horses are in all the time. You will use up so much bedding. I would rather have more stalls (because you never can have too many stalls).

I have one wall of four stalls - where two center walls come out for foaling stalls. Then in the winter they become regular sized stalls again.

I have 9 horses - all are 16.2hh or bigger - 4 that are 17hh (but one is a foal) and they have 10 x 10 stalls - they all lay down and they all seem to like their stalls, but I wouldn't mind the 12 by 12 - but again we put soft stalls in and that adds substantially to the cost again. Plus our horses are usually outside 8-12 hours per day unless it rains or is bad weather/icy.

Good luck with your building
                                  Thanks, but these are the size stalls that fit in our barn, no bigger and no less makes no sense to me. We can fit 4- 12x10s or 2- 12x15s with 2- 10x12s plus a tack room in the exact same barn, so imho it just makes more sense. I would rather have extra stall space and a tack room instead of 4- 10x12s. The lumber will span a 12' length... not 15. A foot wasted here and there is worth it for the extra stall size to me. I couldn't make their stalls smaller just because it was easier for me and might save a couple bucks. I just personally don't think extra stall space is ever a waste. I'm not sure where you live, but when our horses have to stay in their stalls for a week at a time in the icy winter the bigger size is well worth it. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

My instructor bought a place with the barn. And those stalls were like 8x10. And way way too small. So, she left 2 of them like that and they took out the middle partition so it's a 16x10. The 10 walls do not a have post in the middle of them. And she has horses coming in an out all the time. And they are kickers. No problems because the side walls are only 10 long.
                                    And it makes for a very nice stall. My horse, the neat freak loved his. He had his poop and pee area, eating area and sleeping area.
                                    I'm with you, I like the bigger stalls. Either that or in and outs like he had before. He would poop outside to keep his stall cleaner.
                                    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

• Original Poster

Ugh... now according to him, our 12x15 stalls need a supporting post (all these are 6x6's) at each corner, one in the middle of the shared stall wall, one for the stall door, and now one between the stall door and the wall in the middle of the front of the stall. Apparently now 11' is too far to span as well...

Comment

I wish the folks that had built my barn stalls had put the supporting post in the middle, since my horses love to rub their butts on the wall, and are constantly popping the darn boards loose. One of these days I am going to find time to figure out how to reinforce them.
                                        There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Working...
                                        X