• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dragging pastures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragging pastures

Used to pay someone to pick up all the poo piles in all the pastures. That is no longer an option. So, any pasture dragging experts here? I think I read somewhere that dragging at a certain time can increase worm load in horses. Myth, or truth?

Here are my questions:
    - what are the benefits?
    - what is the down side?
    - what if you DON'T drag the pasture, but just leave the piles to desinegrate on their own?
    - do you let pasture manure age (how long), and then drag, or just drag fresh poo?
    - how often for maximum effect?
    - does it make the horses not want to eat the grass?
    - if so, then how long do you keep them off the grass?

I'm off to go back outside to work! Will check for replies later. Thanks in advance!

Here are my questions:
    - what are the benefits? breaks up the piles, and gives you a CHANCE to reclaim the soiled area for grazing. Otherwise that patch of the pasture will be rejected by the horses for ever.
    - what is the down side? it's a pain to do, but other than that I can't think of one.
    - what if you DON'T drag the pasture, but just leave the piles to desinegrate on their own? Kiss that section of the pasture good-bye as far as being useful for grazing. The "natural disintegration" process is measured in years, not weeks or months.
    - do you let pasture manure age (how long), and then drag, or just drag fresh poo? I pick it up every month or so in the really heavy "bathroom" area, drag the rest every couple of weeks. So some is fresh and some is a couple of weeks old. The stuff I pick up gets composted.
    - how often for maximum effect? Can't give you anything scientific, the above is just what I do For larger or smaller herds/pastures it will vary.
    - does it make the horses not want to eat the grass? They definitely won't eat grass in their bathroom area, but usually the year after they will if I keep up with it. Then the bathroom area moves somewhere else. They usually don't go out on the grass after I drag it (see below) because dragging (and mowing) is part of my pre-resting prep for a paddock.
    - if so, then how long do you keep them off the grass? A week or so, only because I harrow the pasture just before letting it get its normal rest/rotation.

As to dragging increasing worm-load, I'd be skeptical--my horses are regularly dewormed and won't graze where there is soiled grass anyway. In a situation with heavy horse traffic and very sparse grass, I suppose it's theoretically possible. But exposure to heat/air/ultraviolet is a pretty good way of killing worm eggs.

Click here before you buy.

Comment

I don't drag...ever
      Don't have the equipment

What I DO, is mow the piles when I mow the pasture - in effect "mulching" them.
      Horses don't seem to mind - they won't eat the roughs, but they sometimes follow me when I'm mowing & eat the fresh clippings like I'm some sort of Equine Good Humor truck.

You don't say how large your fields are, or how many horses are on them.
      For me it is one large - 1.5ac - and one small - .5ac - pasture and 2 horses.
      I've been doing this for 5 years now and pastures aren't golf course greens, but I do feed a lot less hay in the Summer.
      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
        I don't drag...ever
        Don't have the equipment

What I DO, is mow the piles when I mow the pasture - in effect "mulching" them.
        Horses don't seem to mind - they won't eat the roughs, but they sometimes follow me when I'm mowing & eat the fresh clippings like I'm some sort of Equine Good Humor truck.

You don't say how large your fields are, or how many horses are on them.
        For me it is one large - 1.5ac - and one small - .5ac - pasture and 2 horses.
        I've been doing this for 5 years now and pastures aren't golf course greens, but I do feed a lot less hay in the Summer.
        Same here, a pasture drag is on my "to buy" list.

I have 9 acres - 3 horses on it. I do hand pick the roughs occasionally, in an attempt to reclaim them, and I do mow over the existing piles, which does help them to scatter/break down a bit faster. The hand picked stuff gets piled into some low spots in the pasture in an attempt to a) relocate the "rough" and b) level out the low spots (read holes).
        There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Here's a good cheap alternative for a drag. Box our a frame and then nail chain link fence to it. To put extra weight use an old tire. Add chain or heavy wire to hook to 4-wheeler or lawn mower in there you go. I have one that has lasted over five years and does a great job. That is what I will be doing this weekend.

Comment

Deltawave anwered everything well enough.

I have a small drag and drag our sacrifice pasture (3 acres, five horses on it sunrise to sunset, with round bales) over the winter about once a month (often enough to avoid having heavily used latrine areas), but only when the ground is dry or frozen. I also drag with the tines up to minimize damage to the existing grass. I try to do it a day or two before a rain or snow, to help it break down efficiently. Only their latrine areas need to be dragged -- and the horses have little interest in grazing there. I usually drag with the horses in the field. They're used to it.

I've never heard about issues with dragging and increased worm load, but we're also on a worming program, and worm right when the horses are brought in the barn in the evening (the theory being that the manure with purged worms will be mucked and composted, and not out in the field. But I have no idea if that's actually true).

During the spring/summer/fall our guys go into a four pasture rotation, so dragging is needed less often. Usually every two months...
            "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
            <>< I.I.

Comment

Originally posted by horsegirl123 View Post
              Here's a good cheap alternative for a drag. Box our a frame and then nail chain link fence to it. To put extra weight use an old tire. Add chain or heavy wire to hook to 4-wheeler or lawn mower in there you go. I have one that has lasted over five years and does a great job. That is what I will be doing this weekend.
              Our variation was to use a chain link gate, thus already framed. We put a few tires on it. Works great to break-up piles
              Epona Farm
              Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Recommendations are now to not drag except for when very hot, middle of the summer. Otherwise, you are just spreading worms from their "bathrooms" to contaminate the rest of the pasture.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah-ha! This is so helpful! Great replies! Fairview - that was exactly what I thought I heard; Please do tell more!

I have one of those drag thingies with the finger tines on it and also a chain link gate that was left here about 7 years ago. I admit that I've never dragged the pastures. I think it's time.

Some of you mention that only the "bathroom" or "latrine" areas need to be dragged - What? Have you trained your horses to go in just one area? Mine eat and poop on the run, poop and eat on the run. They don't have areas that they go to to poo. They just stop, squat, and pinch. And then eat some more.

Oh - my pastures are about 19ish acres. There are 22 horses, but not all of them are out on pasture. I have a bunch of various sized of pastures. The entire property is 24 acres, but there are outbuildings, an indoor, an outdoor, etc.

Comment

Our drag is also a section of chain link and we use cinder blocks to weigh it down. I love the idea of using a gate though so it's framed. I'll have to check on that. Pulled behind the lawn tractor by my son who thinks pasture dragging is FUN! If I let him (more tractor time) he'd drag it once a month, if not more. But for now it gets done 3-4 times in the spring and summer months and then once in the fall before the snow flies. I love how it looks after it's been dragged. He does a nice job and the horses don't mind him being out there at all.

Mine have "bathroom" areas, as well. Nope, not trained, they do it all on their own. They seem to like corners for some reason. My old gelding seems to have trained everyone well. He refuses to go where he eats, even if he's standing at the round bale. So I have my son spend more time on those areas then on the rest, but he does the whole thing eventually.

Happy draggin'.
                    A Merrick N Dream Farm
                    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Comment

IME unless the pastures are REALLY big the horses generally choose one or two areas where they go to poop preferentially. In my bigger pasture (4+ acres) it's not as evident, but the smaller one definitely has two specific spots where they "go". Of course the grass is amazingly lush there, (well fertilized!) but they won't touch it. If I keep at it the spot is tolerable to them the next year, but they have then chosen another spot or two to go and poop/pee.

Bless my young boss-mare's heart, she is VERY fastidious about pooping in one tiny corner of the dirt paddock, and the other horses follow her lead. It is conveniently very close to the gate, so picking out that paddock is a breeze. Good girl!!
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Worthless bit of trivia......

The "bathroom" area is referred to as a "rough".

The parts of the pastures where the livestock graze is referred to as a "lawn".

Golf uses those terms too but when the game was developed it was played in pastures - and if you hit the ball into the poo poo area it was actually landing in a rough.

Probably why golf players wear gloves.
                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

This is a link to a seminar Deworming your Horse Craig Reinemeyer, DVM, PhD .
                          You have to sign up for a free membership on thehorse.com and be signed in to see this video
                          It takes about an hour and 10 minutes to view, but very much worth it to see.
                          http://www.thehorse.com/Video.aspx?vID=183

Comment

One Pro: Dragging in the heat of summer breaks up the turds but also exposes them to the sun and dries them out to kill the parasite eggs.
                            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                              One Pro: Dragging in the heat of summer breaks up the turds but also exposes them to the sun and dries them out to kill the parasite eggs.
                              Actually, exposing them to sun & drying is not very effective in killing them. Some parasite eggs have been shown to remain infective to new horses in the pasture through up to ten years of rain, freezing, snow, sunshine & whatever else nature can hand out.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                                Originally posted by Fantastic View Post
                                Ah-ha! This is so helpful! Great replies! Fairview - that was exactly what I thought I heard; Please do tell more!
                                we use a rear tractor tire cut in half and dragged with a tractor....nothing expensive or pretty but it works like a charm

best
                                Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                                  Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
                                  This is a link to a seminar Deworming your Horse Craig Reinemeyer, DVM, PhD .
                                  he's a great guy...his farm is about 15 miles from us

best
                                  Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                  I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Working...
                                  X