• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Electric fence help...what to buy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fence help...what to buy

Hi!
    I have searched and read alot of other threads and gotten a much better idea of what to do, but I do have a few specific questions. Which, I'll also ask at the store, but....

I'm going to have to replace some wire fencing and figure I would do the electric fence. I don't want to do wire again, but can't decide on which brand of tape or cord to use. I suppose it's just a matter of what I can get?! Roughly the same throughout?! Do I need to stick to one that seems horsey specific or can I just get something for cows and have it work just as well?

ALso..does the type of fence I get (cord vs tape, etc) determine the charger to get?! It looked like the zareba was for ...oh never mind.. I see. And I've also answered the whole "can it be used in wooded, weeded areas" question. Thanks!!

But now... I have wooden posts that are sturdy and already there..> I can just hammer/screw the brackets/insulator thingys on right?! I did see to get the deckmate screws with the TORX bits to make life easier.

and then... How do you teach the horses about it?! I'm pretty sure they've all seen electric fence at some point in time... I guess just let them touch it and they'll figure it out?!?

Is it better to do three strand or four strand or two?!? It will not be perimeter fencing really (thought it will enhance my perimeter fence) but will mostly be used to divide pastures. I do have a new yearling as well as a bit of a bully/fence pawer/butthead horse.

I think those are my main questions....Oh, I also saw that horsequard has some new tape that doesn't need grounding?! Would that be better for a somewhat electrically challenged person?!

Thanks!! I aim to knock this out this week before my horse rips another shoe off!!! Argh!
  • Original Poster

one more question....

The electrobraid website says you need to mow to keep the weeds off before they get too unruly. Then when I look at some of the other ones..the chargers say they are okay with weeds.... My area I'm fencing is fairly woodsy... Should I stick with something other than the electrobraid?!?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

In general, if weeds touch your fence, they will dissipate charge. You don't want weeds touching your fence.

I like Horseguard, but you cannot buy it locally: it has to be ordered. People here say it is better than the tapes you can buy in a store. I don't know, because I believed them and Horseguard is all I have used.

More strands will be more secure. Horseguard says 2 is enough for horses who don't challenge the fence, and I am keeping two retirees in a grass pasture with two strands.

I also bought my charger online: it's solar and a Parmak, per recommendations here. You want a 12 V. It doesn't matter what kind of fence you're driving.

Keeping things grounded is a pain, and the ground rods are surprisingly expensive. The Horseguard bipolar tape is good for situations where the ground is very dry and is not carrying the electric current back to the ground rod. This can happen on my land; it's not so likely in a climate that is moist year-round.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I did see about the 12 v battery.

So... as far as the weeds.... Would this type of fencing really not work for a wooded area then?! On the back sides I've got a lot of weeds and viney stuff growing on the fence. I suppose I could pull the fenceline in a foot or two to help keep the stuff off it, but... it's a very wooded/weedy area... So not conducive to horseys but...it's what I've got....

Here's a pic of the pasture I really need to fence...
        http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ockremoved.jpg
        It's hard to tell based on the pic, but as you can see, it's pretty wooded. Just on the other side of my horse is the line that really needs to be fenced, so maybe it's not going to have too much debris.... it sorta winds between the trees.
        http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ookingfine.jpg
        And then behind her is the backside that I'd like to fence in too, but not the part that the other horse is pawing at and destroying. This side is going to be very covered with bushes and stuff...though I suppose I could move the fenceline in... just would mean having to redo posts...

Is there anything that works well even with a lot of "debris"!???

Thanks again!!!!

Comment

I just got some Horseguard fence to make an inside perimeter and really like it. Strong, visible, super easy to put up (I did it myself.)
          I did not think it was very expensive compared to a lot of other options, and the wide tape is much safer than rope in my opinion!
          "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

PS: After looking at your photos, I wanted to add that I am using mine in Aspen trees (partly to keep the horses OFF the trees) and mine are way denser than yours.
            "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

Trees nearby are fine, but you can't have vines or weeds touching the electric portion of the fence, or they'll leak charge back to the ground. In practice, I find that the horses do a decent job of keeping the weeds directly underneath my fence from getting too high most of the time, with me just having to patrol for stray grasses that bend over to it. Water condenses on the fence at night and drips off in the morning, so often the lushest grass is under the fence line. If the weeds that you have are unpalatable, then yes, you will have to clear under the fence regularly in order to keep a strong charge on the fence.

One thing you might do is electrically isolate the portion with the dense brush so it can't short out the whole fence. You'd need two chargers, though, or you'd need to leave the dense side uncharged. Uncharged tape will only contain horses who are happy to be contained.

If you want a fence that will contain horses even when touched by a lot of plant material, you'll have to explore non-electric options.
              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have used and seen many types of fence in the past and I have to say Horseguard is the best - it does not stretch or sag, and I've found that once it's up, barring any really weird things like a tree falling on it - it's up.

I did find it pricier than other options, but it's the poop for permanent fencing.

Comment

I love this one sheep fencing place they do a GREAT job with horse fence too. the entire catalog is electrical stuff.
                  http://www.premier1supplies.com/

their site has design outlines and material lists, too.

Comment

Love the Premier stuff!!!

I get their electric rope (not the braided stuff, the less expensive IntelliRope) and FiberRod posts. When I get my 6' posts, I'm going with two strands of IntelliRope and a bottom strand of IntelliTwine. Currently have two stands on the 5' FiberRod postsand three strands on my steel T posts (I think they're 6').

Two is more than plenty to keep my horses in -- but I want to make sure I can keep stray horses (and hopefully the neighbor's dogs) OUT.

Tapes just don't have a long enough life expectancy to be worth it. Plus, a freezing rain with heavy wet snow can drag it clear to the ground. I wouldn't mind HorseGuard, but I'd have to have help to put it up and it's got almost zero portablity. The Premier rope, I can put it up singlehanded and fairly quickly and if I decide to move it or need to readjust it, I can.

Comment

Originally posted by greysandbays View Post
                      Tapes just don't have a long enough life expectancy to be worth it. Plus, a freezing rain with heavy wet snow can drag it clear to the ground. I wouldn't mind HorseGuard, but I'd have to have help to put it up and it's got almost zero portablity. The Premier rope, I can put it up singlehanded and fairly quickly and if I decide to move it or need to readjust it, I can.
                      I don't understand what you mean here by zero portability. I move and reset my HorseGuard all the time, mostly by myself. Occasionally I enlist a helper because I am using really tall T-posts at the corners, and I can't manage to set one straight without a second pair of hands. That's why I have HorseGuard.

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post
                        I don't understand what you mean here by zero portability. I move and reset my HorseGuard all the time, mostly by myself. Occasionally I enlist a helper because I am using really tall T-posts at the corners, and I can't manage to set one straight without a second pair of hands. That's why I have HorseGuard.
                        In this soil, I'd have to have REALLY deep-set (and concreted AND braced) corner posts. Every spring, the soil turns to soup and ordinary corner posts lean over. Even the line posts get sloppy and need to be reset. Even posts that don't have anything attached to them lean over.

I don't think the 1/2" FiberRod posts (which are really easy to reset by hand if the soil is still damp) would be sufficient support for something as beefy as HorseGuard (and even if they would, I don't know what I'd use for insulators).

If a fence requires T posts as line posts, I don't really consider it portable or workable singlehanded. While it CAN be done, it's not something I'm going to do unless I absolutely HAVE to, and certainly not when the posts number in the hundreds (a few corner posts here and there, not such a big deal). If I was only doing an acre or two without a lot of cross-fencing, I might amend that opinion. But not with nine acres with over a dozen different crossfences.

I'd love four strands of HorseGuard as a permanent permimeter fence with properly set and braced corners -- but the pennies won't stretch that far (and I want to personally see how it holds up under a half-inch coating of wet snow/freezing rain with a driving wind before I spring for it if I ever have money to burn).

Comment

HorseGuard sells a temporary fence kit that uses fiberglass posts, and the normal HorseGuard insulators have a slot that allows you to either screw them to a post or slide them onto the fiberglass posts. Yes, when the soil gets soupy, and the wind blows, the fiberglass posts do lean after a while... but they are easy to reset. The fence is not under significant tension, so my fence does fine with just tall T-posts in the corners, with no bracing.

In any case, the OP already has wooden posts installed, so this consideration does not apply to her.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. I decided to just go with whatever I can find quickly, so that I can "get er dun" and will just do the one stretch of line for now. That way I can keep the yearling safe from possible Fleck antics while allowing Fleck to get out of the round pen
                            And then... I can do some more hard core thinking and figure out the best way to really do it

Thanks!

Comment

Another plug for Horseguard here!!!! I built my barn last fall to get the horses home before the snow flew. I finally decided on the Horsegaurd tape fence, despite friends telling me never to use tape fences, they stretch, break, look like crap, etc.....

So fence went up in a snap, we used the Bi-polar due to heavy snow and nasty northeast winters. I bought a Zareba low impedence charger. Horses came home and within 7 days we had the worst ice storm this region has seen in many years. Two trees fell on my fence and the three strands were COATED in ice. But... I cannot say enough about the performance of this fence. All it took was removing trees and tightening once the ice melted or chipped off. Fence survived many snow storms and all it needed this spring was 20 minutes of tightening and it looks as good as it did when I installed it. I was extremely impressed with the entire system, including the T-post covers.

It is my primary fence and neither one of my boys has even challenged it. One of them has never been in electric and took to it without an issue.
                              Gone gaited....

Comment

• Original Poster

Success!!!!

Finally...after tearing down the old wire and putting up the tape....

Then the charger was too weak (took advice of TSC lady....not ya'lls) so we upgraded...HOLY HOT!!! Poor Fleck went running!!! But he won't challenge it again that's for darn sure

And...whoever said it was a pain in the butt to nail those insulators in... you weren't kidding!!! Only about half of mine went in perfectly... and I even choked up on the hammer and hit like a man

but Yay!!!! It's done!!!

Now time to go ride

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
                                  And...whoever said it was a pain in the butt to nail those insulators in... you weren't kidding!!! Only about half of mine went in perfectly... and I even choked up on the hammer and hit like a man
                                  That is why we use screws and a drill to put he insulators up!!! It's quick, easy and the screws don't come back out. Nails have a tendancy to back their way out of the posts.

I'm late to the party here , but I love Horsequard tape as well. It lasts, no maintenance and looks great. We used 3 strands and even have it has perimeter fencing and my horses stay away from it. It's funny they will stop about 4' from the fence!!!!

Comment

Another vote for Horse Guard. We have miles of it and no one challanges it. In fact we haven't had a single fence injury since we started using it!
                                    Patty
                                    www.rivervalefarm.com
                                    Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

DO NOT USE ELECTROBRAID!!!!!

In my personal experience, that stuff is dangerous!! It will NOT break! I had a colt roll close to the fence and it wrapped around his back leg at the hock area and it was a disaster because the fence kept shocking him and the fence held it's ground. My vet, me, an ER/critical care nurse, and my ER physician husband all worked sewing and removing riddled flesh for 3 solid hours, we did not lose him but it was a miracle. He is only pasture sound as that hoof hits the ground at a weird angle and would not hold up to riding. The wound was so gapping my vet sewed in buttons and fishing lure weights and every 4-5 days I would pull the wound a bit tighter so the skin would eventually touch and heal! That hock is still twice the size of the other one and it has been years. Just be warned.

Comment

Working...
                                      X